Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

the_steve posted:

I touched on this theory awhile ago, possibly back in one of the bad thread iterations, but I think the big misconception here is that we have an entirely different idea of what constitutes Winning and Losing compared to what the actual politicians consider to be Winning and Losing.

Like, to our feeble peasant understanding, winning would be "Getting the most votes and elected to office in order to push for bills and reforms"
To the people actually in power though, winning is "Being paid exorbitant amounts of money and having prestige among the commonfolk without actually having to do anything."

Pelosi "lost" her Speaker position, but she still gets to do all the insider trading and ice cream hawking she wants. If AOC lost her seat tomorrow, do you think it would take her long at all to land some lucrative gig as a commentator on MSNBC or get in with some lobbying firm, or hell, just have someone ghostwrite a book for her and hit that circuit?

When one of us loses our job, it's catastrophic. We now face homelessness and being rapidly crushed by our debts (rather than slowly crushed), we lose what little protection we had through what passes as health insurance.
A politician loses their job, and they just move into the new office their golden parachute landed them into and don't miss a beat.

The fact that it is impossible for our political class to fail is one of the things that makes them so dangerously arrogant and incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Don't worry guys I talked to some Dem party people I know and the general feeling is that the protests aren't really a big deal because they don't vote, but the people who are made uncomfortable by the protests do

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

something tells me its going to a record low turnout especially amongst young people which if i recall were a dem staple

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

youth energy is one of the Dem party's main advantages and they loving love doing whatever they can to squander it at every opportunity

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Twin snakes

https://x.com/thehill/status/1783583279913857420

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

something tells me its going to a record low turnout especially amongst young people which if i recall were a dem staple

not any more, lol.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The fact that it is impossible for our political class to fail is one of the things that makes them so dangerously arrogant and incompetent.

I think we reached a whole new level of this when Trump won and they could fund raise like mad while having no obligation to actually do anything. I think a bunch of Dem politicians with safe seats long to have that again.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

not any more, lol.

lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Halloween Jack posted:

Rich white ladies have been attacked. poo poo's about to get real.

I remember thinking this in 2020 when Portland PD were tear gassing the chain of moms during the Floyd protests and shattered that navy vet's arms with batons. It seemed all too overt to avoid a massive blow-up. But it didn't matter because the average american is like a monkey hooked to Opinion Feeding Tubes, and this won't matter either. I think we need aliens to blow up Washington DC

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
it's a class of people for whom "take responsibility" means, in practice, that you say the words "I take responsibility" and then change nothing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

not any more, lol.

Actually, the data strongly support the null hypothesis. Nobody cares about anything that has happened. Move along.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1783141483119333574

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i cannot believe someone is still doing the parentheses thing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVw6djRhzk

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

Actually, the data strongly support the null hypothesis. Nobody cares about anything that has happened. Move along.

What a coincidence that the data (allegedly) just happens to match what the ruling class wanted to believe anyway! Boy, it's funny when things like that end up happening, isn't it?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

“We are now nearing eight months since the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recommended rescheduling marijuana to Schedule III — and 18 months since President Biden directed HHS and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to begin the process of reviewing marijuana’s scheduling. It is time for the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to act,” they said.

The DEA is currently conducting a review of marijuana’s classification as a Schedule I substance, the category designated for drugs with no accepted medical use and a high risk of abuse. The Department of Health and Human Services last year recommended that it be rescheduled to Schedule III. In their letter, Democrats reitated their call for marijuana to be descheduled entirely.

lol those dipshits can't tell that poo poo is being slow-rolled

also

quote:

This is the list of Schedule III controlled substances as defined by the United States Controlled Substances Act at 21 U.S.C. § 812(c) and 21 CFR 1308.13. The following findings are required for substances to be placed in this schedule:[1]
The drug or other substance has a potential for abuse less than the drugs or other substances in schedules I and II.
The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

you could make a far stronger case for ethanol being Schedule III than weed, but it's not a scheduled drug at all

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

https://x.com/ChaseMit/status/1783415227868135445

lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nightmare ship

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Dear God he is so loving funny

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

VoicesCanBe posted:

yep

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1783520372001825139

do you think fuckers like this actually believe this poo poo

I dont have a subscription to the news letter but uh this doesn't seem good?

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1783285863058694167

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

VoicesCanBe posted:

I hope he gets a netflix special.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

he's still got it

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

these colleges really don't know wtf do, just pure panic mode

https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1783586220674822511

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

whiz kid harry enten ?!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I think you're underestimating how much money the chapos make. I wouldn't be surprised if Virgil ended up with at least a couple million dollars over the time he was with the show.

It's at least enough to not need to worry about working for a really long time.

The rule of thumb for conservative endowment investing is $1 million yields $50k in payout each year.

That's not "NYC Penthouse Limo Full Maid and Champaign Service" rich, but it's certainly enough to get a paid off house in a small upstate town and live comfortably without ever having to lift a finger again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpkhX85yf0&t=838s

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Hamas did terrorism. What happened in October was terrorism. It’s very likely that Hamas knew how awful Israel’s over response would be when they attacked.
amazing

where is this syq from

"you know how your father gets when he drinks" rear end geopolitics

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

How are colleges so bad at handling protests of all things

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AmiYumi posted:

amazing

where is this syq from

from a cspam poster

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Hamas also did a no-growth, the most shameful act one can commit.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lmao dems are such fuckups they've failed the libs. Trump is going to to wriggle out of every single consequence because they did nothing for 3 years and kept the indictments on the back burner until time for election interference.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it was me

i said it

and i'll say it again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

it was me

i said it

and i'll say it again

"Jew

Israel"

There, I said it. Like the brave wife's shirt. I am also brave.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

fits my needs posted:

lmao

there were other kids there too i guess

Big Dan Schneider energy from Biden there...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

all those blm organizers who committed suicide by shooting themselves in their cars that they also set on fire?

does anyone have an actual article about this its the kind of factoid that would be more useful in daily conversation if there were real names attached to it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Where's his left hand? Joe, what are you doing with your left- JOE!

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Asproigerosis posted:

Lmao dems are such fuckups they've failed the libs. Trump is going to to wriggle out of every single consequence because they did nothing for 3 years and kept the indictments on the back burner until time for election interference.

There was never going to be consequences because a core principle of this system is that rich, powerful people don't suffer them. Dems were lying to the libs' face.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

joepinetree posted:

The "ask" of these protests is for their universities to divest from Israel. Columbia university has an endowment of almost 14 billion dollars. Harvard is 50 billion.

how much of this money comes from israel and what is the form of this money i assume theyre not just checks personally signed by benjamin netanyahu

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AmiYumi posted:

amazing

where is this syq from

boat fucker must be destroyed

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
No, they are giving Israel money and designing their genocide AI apps

Adbot