Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
i hope they pick up Bowers bc I want to see a LA game in person this year and that would be a dope offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

tinstaach posted:

On the secret third hand this dude is a stone cold psycho and has no problem doing the exact opposite of what everyone wants or expect, so I am forced to throw up my hands and say it will be interesting to see what happens

Exactly all of this and I love it! hahah

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Checking up on the Rams if the packing tape Stafford is held together with falls apart....

I'm just now learning that Stetson Bennett went AWOL right before the season started last year and we haven’t heard from him since? How have I not heard this story

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Shouldn't that be Carolina? Ric will do anything for a buck.

He's a Bucs fan for some reason. But he certainly will do anything for money. I wonder if they had to shell out for a limo ride.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

kiimo posted:

Checking up on the Rams if the packing tape Stafford is held together with falls apart....

I'm just now learning that Stetson Bennett went AWOL right before the season started last year and we haven’t heard from him since? How have I not heard this story

He's dealing with alcohol addiction.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

wandler20 posted:

I've gathered the info and punched in the data and here is my mock draft.

I normally detest posts that are just their mock drafts, but yours is good.

This is a suspiciously researched, sensible, and plausible draft.

I think the only even-modest critique I have is that I think Jags would take Thomas Jr. in that situation. Which would have some modest ripples through the rest of the draft.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I normally detest posts that are just their mock drafts, but yours is good.

This is a suspiciously researched, sensible, and plausible draft.

I think the only even-modest critique I have is that I think Jags would take Thomas Jr. in that situation. Which would have some modest ripples through the rest of the draft.

Ha, thanks. I read a bunch of different stuff and try to put the pieces together from there. It's a fun exercise and fun to see how it all falls apart and how wrong I was.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

If rams are trading into the top ten it’s for a LT or a WR.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/dmrussini/status/1783593333916610713?s=46

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I thought Russini was a bad/inaccurate Twitter follow. Is that incorrect?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

No, she's plugged in. You're thinking of the other girl who always posts eye emojis.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

9 is a bit of an awkward spot I suppose, but if any of the top tier receivers are there I would absolutely stick and pick if I were the Bears. One being there or not almost totally depends on whether the Giants go QB or WR. And whether the Vikings successfully trade up, I suppose.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

9 is a bit of an awkward spot I suppose, but if any of the top tier receivers are there I would absolutely stick and pick if I were the Bears. One being there or not almost totally depends on whether the Giants go QB or WR. And whether the Vikings successfully trade up, I suppose.

I suspect they are saying they are open for business because they know the top 3 won't be there and don't want to trade up for one

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Play posted:

Yeah if I’m the bears I’m taking one of the elite WRs or Alt/Olu.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Teams that want to trade up:
  • Vikings
  • Giants
  • Rams
  • Eagles

Teams that are open to trading down:
  • Patriots
  • Chargers
  • Cardinals

Intrigueeee

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Play posted:

the bears have like 4 picks total so it's not the worst idea in the world to drop down for a bit more capital i think

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

A Sneaker Broker posted:

• Vikings
  • Giants
  • Rams
  • Eagles

• Patriots
  • Chargers
  • Cardinals

Intrigueeee

Three different reporters have said the Lions have been inquiring about trading up as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The Falcons being willing to trade down wouldn't surprise me either, given their specific needs which they could probably get to a bit later.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

kidcoelacanth posted:

the bears have like 4 picks total so it's not the worst idea in the world to drop down for a bit more capital i think

They already have a young, cost controlled roster with few roster spots and this draft sucks for depth. I'm all for future draft capital, but not at the cost of a blue chip player

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

McShay with rumors

Todd McShay posted:

No 2024 NFL Mock Draft ⛓️ for me. But here’s what I’m hearing…

1. CHI QB Caleb ☑️
2. WASH QB Jayden ☑️
3. NE plan:
-HIGHLY LIKELY the Pats stick and pick Maye.
-Would only move back if A. They get a HAUL to move back and B. They have a 2nd trade in place with AZ at 4 or LAC at 5 to move back up for JJ McCarthy. *And remember, Ossenfort spent 15 years in NE, so there’s a relationship there.

4 AZ plan:
-Stay at 4 and take MHJ.
-Trade back to 6 with NYG or NE (* see 👆 ) and still take MHJ.

5 LAC plan:
-Stay at 5 and take OT Alt (or I’m hearing maybe Latham over Alt?).
-Move back to 11 and take OT Latham.

6 NYG plan:
-Plan A: Want to move up to 3 for Maye. Don’t think NE will agree to move, but that’s what I hear NYG wants most.

-Plan B: Odunze. I’m told they’re not gonna risk another OBJ/K. Toney situation.

7 TEN plan:
-Take OT Alt if he’s still available (which could happen if LAC moved out of 5 and a QB was taken there.
-Take OT Latham

***ATL at 8 and CHI at 9 could have multiple offers to trade back when they get on the clock, as teams behind them could be jockeying to move up for one of these guys: QB McCarthy, WR Nabers or Odunze, OT Alt or Latham, and TE Bowers.

8 ATL plan:
-Take the top DEF player in the draft (EDGE Turner or DT Murphy)
-Trade back a few spots and still take best available DEF player (EDGE Turner, DT Murphy or CB Arnold)

9 CHI plan:
-Trade back and recover picks (only four picks this year).
-DT Murphy II or best-available WR/EDGE/OT would be priorities after trade down.
-Only caveat; CHI could stick at pick No. 9 if Odunze or Nabers falls.

10 NYJ plan:
-Best available weapon for Aaron (Nabers, Odunze, Bowers) or LOT protector Aaron (insurance in ‘24 and long-term).
-Can’t rule out a slight trade up (for a weapon) or a trade down (probably would wind up with OT at that point).

11 MIN plan:
-Trade up for Maye
-Trade up for JJ (but only if it doesn’t require breaking the bank with draft picks!) *I hear there’s a real cost-analysis going on in Minn… is it better to keep picks and land Penix at 11 or to pay a haul to move up for JJ. Very interesting debate!
-Stay home at 11 and hope JJ falls. If not, take Penix.

Finally, Saints, Rams, Steelers and Eagles are making a LOT of calls about moving up (NO = OT).

And teams I’m hearing have interest in potentially moving up for TE Brock Bowers:
-IND
-JAX

I bolded the line that caught my eyes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

No, she's plugged in. You're thinking of the other girl who always posts eye emojis.

People on here definitely dunk on Russini a lot. I always enjoy her spots on the Athletic podcast. She seems very genuine (which doesn’t necessarily mean she’s very accurate of course). Like she was talking about the challenges of maintaining all these relationships and constantly having to collect info. She told a story about scrambling to answer a call from an NFL team executive while in the pool with her kid for swim lessons and all the other parents looking at her like WTF lady???

Josina Anderson is the reporter that comes to mind for posting eye emojis and always being wrong

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 25, 2024

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
JJ is simultaneously overrated and underrated.

He's overrated by some because 1) Michigan won the natty (intangibles!!!!!), 2) he showed really well at the combine (measureables!!!!), and 3) although Harbaugh didn't want Michigan to throw very much, JJ occasionally ripped off a highlight pass between defenders that required velocity, timing, and perfect accuracy. He has one throw The play that

He's underrated by some because 1) he threw half as much as the other guys, 2) he totally gagged in the National Semi against TCU two years ago, and 3) he looks like he is 14 years old, with a ridiculous pompadour haircut and a big stupid grin.

In reality, his advanced stats are pretty good, he's pretty cool under pressure, he's got a pretty good arm, he's bigger than he looks, and he could be good or he could suck. Because of the way Harbaugh used him, he's more of an enigma than most QB prospects.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

predicto posted:

JJ is simultaneously overrated and underrated.

He's overrated by some because 1) Michigan won the natty (intangibles!!!!!), 2) he showed really well at the combine (measureables!!!!), and 3) although Harbaugh didn't want Michigan to throw very much, JJ occasionally ripped off a highlight pass between defenders that required velocity, timing, and perfect accuracy. He has one throw The play that

He's underrated by some because 1) he threw half as much as the other guys, 2) he totally gagged in the National Semi against TCU two years ago, and 3) he looks like he is 14 years old, with a ridiculous pompadour haircut and a big stupid grin.

In reality, his advanced stats are pretty good, he's pretty cool under pressure, he's got a pretty good arm, he's bigger than he looks, and he could be good or he could suck. Because of the way Harbaugh used him, he's more of an enigma than most QB prospects.

I think this sums it up well. He's all potential at the moment is the big issue. He generally took what defenses gave him and played well, some bone headed throws every now and then. He's got no touch and his timing on middle of the field seams and sideline routes is off. I think that's fixable if he just practices it, and he'll definitely get more opportunities than Harbaugh gave him.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Docjowles posted:

Josina Anderson is the reporter that comes to mind for posting eye emojis and always being wrong

Thank you that was the name I was looking for. Yeah, she's awful.

Comfortador posted:

Three different reporters have said the Lions have been inquiring about trading up as well.

All the good corners are gonna be gone by 18 so I'm not surprised.

Play posted:

The Falcons being willing to trade down wouldn't surprise me either, given their specific needs which they could probably get to a bit later.

The Falcons have been open about wanting Dallas Turner for a while now. Question is, does he last till 12 at the latest?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

At ESPN Russini was plugged in enough to get occasional scoops, especially when it came to the Titans, but she wasn't their lead insider so she didn't really need to be Always Breaking News. Her transition to The Athletic as their main insider has been kind of rocky — she had decent news nuggets in her in-season columns, the type of thing you might see from a guy like Albert Breer or Peter King, but she seemingly tried to do more of a Schefter/Rapoport-level insider thing during free agency and it kind of flopped.

My read is that she's got a handful of solid sources but is straining her limits by trying to be a person with Breaking News-level intel on almost every team in the league. I wouldn't dismiss what she says out of hand but I might take it with a bit of a grain of salt unless it's a team she's historically reported accurately on

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/DMRussini/status/1783601749112090715

:stare:

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

The bears only have 4 picks, it'd be weird if they weren't trying to flip 9.

Giants, please don't gift the pats a half dozen picks for Maye.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Holy poo poo if that's true. This draft is going to be loving crazy.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Also pumped to hear the Bears are actively trying to trade down (and might make an exception if one of the WRs falls to them). That was my preferred approach all along but I took Poles at face value when he talked about being happy to stay put at 9, because he said the same thing last year and basically followed through on it.

I can't believe I was dumb enough to get fooled by a GM lying during the pre-draft process

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

• Vikings
  • Giants
  • Rams
  • Eagles

• Patriots
  • Chargers
  • Cardinals

Intrigueeee

Update:

• Vikings
  • Giants
  • Rams
  • Eagles
  • Jaguars
  • 49ers (Will Leverage Aiyuk & Deebo)
  • Lions

• Patriots
  • Chargers
  • Cardinals
  • Bears (#9)
  • Falcons

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/DMRussini/status/1783608293958553918

It's not smoke. It's actually happening.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

49ers moving up using one of their WRs has got to be for a tackle, right?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

SKULL.GIF posted:

49ers moving up using one of their WRs has got to be for a tackle, right?

Yeah for sure. Can't really count on anyone good falling to 31 in this class

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

She is a GM mouthpiece like Schefter

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson

This is who you need to block and who you were probably thinking of.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Comfortador posted:

Holy poo poo if that's true. This draft is going to be loving crazy.

deebo or aiyuk for the 9th pick? get on it, poles!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ive read rumblings that the Pats and Giants are the ones in on Aiyuk in a trade down scenario.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aiyuk is very good, but if you're at #2 WR in the draft levels of picking, I'd just stay and pick the guy (Nabers/Odunze) instead of trading and paying $100m to a guy coming from the San Fran scheme

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

Ive read rumblings that the Pats and Giants are the ones in on Aiyuk in a trade down scenario.

So maybe if the Giants can't move up for Maye they'll trade back for Aiyuk kick the QB can down the road? I could feasibly see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Update:

• Vikings
  • Giants
  • Rams
  • Eagles
  • Jaguars
  • 49ers (Will Leverage Aiyuk & Deebo)
  • Lions

• Patriots
  • Chargers
  • Cardinals
  • Bears (#9)
  • Falcons

Add Chiefs to the trade up pile.

https://x.com/jamespalmertv/status/1783611822681272741?s=46

FWIW, I think it is just as likely that the Chiefs are looking for a tackle.