Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If someone votes or cases you just scream omgus and vote for them, easy peasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

fool of sound posted:

This is exactly the emotional blackmail that I'm talking about though. Having a meltdown should not be a method of getting people off your case. That create the perverse incentives to be emotionally manipulative. If someone is reaching that point they need to not be in the game.

As someone who used to have that tool in my mafia toolbelt, I completely agree with you. It’s juvenile.

Looking back on my early mafia career, I hated some of the things I would try to win. Emotional outbursts, posting content knowing it would upset the other player so they would make a mistake, gamesmanship as to whether I was available irl or not, etc.

It’s like using an aimbot in a casual fps game. You might win, but you’re actual scum.

Pure, objective review of content is now my only goal when I play. I don’t always get there, but it’s the North Star. It took me years of growth to flush that other stuff out, and I’m sorry to anyone who may have been on the wrong side of it.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I forgive you merk

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I don't

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

merk posted:

It’s like using an aimbot in a casual fps game. You might win, but you’re actual scum.

Come play cs again

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Cookfia 9 has ended in a Delicious ~*~*SCUM*~*~ Victory!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Trip Report / Appreciation Post

I was recently "on holiday" near the Twin* Cities and had the supreme pleasure of playing a bunch of escape rooms and meeting some Mafia friends (PhantomMuzzles, EGalz18, MockingQuantum, and associated dogs).

*cities not actually very twinlike.

I'm an escape room veteran and I convinced (some other person who hasn't ever done one) to try out one of Trapped Puzzle Rooms' rooms. It was fun. We did the Wizard's Tower which is incredibly thematic and had one of the more enjoyable & novel-in-style puzzles I've experienced in quite a while. This was a "normal place" and we went as "regular people" and got the typical experience, which was fine.

However! Many know of the "Escape Room Mortuary" which is "the real deal."

The Lodge of Lazarus Crowe is (in its current state), a really fascinating experience. In like a year from now, it will probably be the best place I know to do live action puzzles (today I guess it's probably that one place in Vegas at uhh...Caesar's I think). I did the three currently-available rooms, a playtest of a less-structured experience, and a few of their worldbuilding challenges.

Apothecary was a bit of a personal embarrassment, needing a clue for my first puzzle and taking way too much time on another, but the room's puzzles were good and the atmosphere was perfect for daytime. This one seemed to try to go a bit outside-the-typical puzzle types in a few ways. I think it was fairly successful and they were reasonably well-calibrated, personal performance aside.

Library was my best room and was a fun mix of puzzle types alongside good theming and a nice floorplan/layout. It was a very, very good example of a "classic/prototypical escape room."

The Office (after I was able to get in) imbued a lot of lore/worldbuilding and had some meta-elements that absolutely made the most of the huge footprint they've got with the space in ways that I think would be very difficult for other companies to replicate well at all. There was even surprise guest voice acting (shout-out to language-speaker [redacted for now?])! With some hints and (necessary) help, I had a blast with this challenge.

The Briefcase* playtest is (probably) going to lead to some adjustments and a better experience when it releases, which seems like a good thing and I was happy to be of service.

*(I don't know if there's a real name for this.)

Then I got "the tour" which involved seeing the majority of an in-progress build, the "infamous sink," and learning about the ambitious and detailed plans to dial the whole thing up to 11*.

(*or however many rooms/experiences they wind up with).

The worldbuilding challenges ("Initiation") were wild and I (to my detriment) underestimated them (and/or had hit an actual mental focus limit?). They really illustrated how much care and detail went into how "basically everything is a part of some puzzle" (and there are a LOT of "everything"s).

Not sure if I said this out loud at all, but "That's so fuckin' clever" might be the phrase that applies most, to just about everything, the whole time.

-----

Pitch/Content Retrospective aside, it's difficult for me to properly express the incredibly high amount of appreciation I have for EGalz & PHuzz (...+the other staff +MQ). They were actually working, but took a huge chunk of time out of their day to basically provide a VIP treatment to let me play with their toys. I will once again apologize for the scheduling/availability/reading comprehension issues I had regarding the post-Lodge stuff, but they were able to be much more flexible than they had any need to be.

From the various online forums game-ish interactions, my impression had generally been "these people seem pretty neat/kind/cool" and the reality (at least for like half a day) turned out to greatly exceed those expectations.

Go visit them!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for the huge trip report, that all sounds loving awesome!

I'm not sure when I'll get around to visiting the States again, but sounds like I'll need to work in a Twin Cities leg of the journey after Chicago. My folks might be up for coming along, they also love escape rooms ever since we did a cool one together on their last visit to Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

merk posted:

As someone who used to have that tool in my mafia toolbelt, I completely agree with you. It’s juvenile.

Looking back on my early mafia career, I hated some of the things I would try to win. Emotional outbursts, posting content knowing it would upset the other player so they would make a mistake, gamesmanship as to whether I was available irl or not, etc.

Pure, objective review of content is now my only goal when I play. I don’t always get there, but it’s the North Star. It took me years of growth to flush that other stuff out, and I’m sorry to anyone who may have been on the wrong side of it.

I'm catching up after several weeks but I do agree with this - I have had cases on people and then had them get really worked up and backed off, only for them to flip scum, and it feels really lovely and gives me pause before backing off other players in later games. I think most players have gotten worked up in a game before, and I think it's good to back off a bit since you don't know what's going on outside of the game, but I don't think it's good practice to fake it.

I do also think that because getting cased puts folks on the back foot, that some people conflate that discomfort with the challenger being out of line, when that's pretty much just the game. Like, yeah, it really sucks that you're town and accidentally wrote "our team" instead of "your team" and somebody is convinced that that is a smoking gun and you're 100% scum, they're gonna get you, they're gonna execute the scum, but that's just part of it. (This is a fake example if this actually happened to somebody I blame Opop.)

Also, the counter can be true as Voodoo mentioned - sometimes you can do something upsetting, and not really have a way around it without giving up the game. During the pandemic I was scum in a game, I got worked up, and then later in the thread said it was a hard time for me. Another player took this as townie, when I meant it entirely as an alignment neutral statement - but I didn't have a really good way to say "no that's not townie". It didn't feel good having it taken that way, when I wouldn't have used that to get heat off of me, it just happened.