Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
sounds good. what ones should i skip to Avoid mediocre-tails-game-fatigue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Joey McChrist posted:

colonel and endorph could tell you more about tales of hearts r i'm not sure where that fits in as i never had a vita to play it :smith:

hearts r is cool but I had already played the original with some sort of guide and kinda liked how it played a little better? I suppose the novelty had worn off at that point, too. i can't remember what they did with the mind dungeons or whatever those were called, i imagine they're better in the vita version.

also the heroine gets a lot of her autonomy stolen for a large chunk of the game so they just sort of suck for a while. they should stop rehashing that plot point tbh.

Radia posted:

honestly depends, i know people are harsher on Vesperia these days (and it's mostly warranted), but it sounds like you're coming at this at least a little bit in terms of nostalgia for symphonia so it's probably still worth a try.

maybe don't play xillia 2 right after 1, you end up going through the same maps so it could get old if you do it back to back.

the main one to avoid is zestiria.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only ones I think are actively bad enough to avoid are probably Symphonia 2, Zestiria, and Arise. Maybe Vesperia and Xillia 2, but those have enough good points that I'd suffer through the bad parts.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i completely forgot there was a symphonia 2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

can you believe i finally bought a Wii for Symphonia 2 and Metroid Other M? i had bought a copy of the former before I owned the system

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radia posted:

the answers to this question will vary a lot

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Phantasium posted:

can you believe i finally bought a Wii for Symphonia 2 and Metroid Other M? i had bought a copy of the former before I owned the system

i didnt buy one for these two but they were part of my reasoning with my LIMITED RESOURCES at the time

boy did i have egg on my wiimote

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Phantasium posted:

i completely forgot there was a symphonia 2.

How did you forget that courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

easy to do when i could never bring myself to play more than an hour

i played tales of vs with no JP knowledge longer than that.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Anyone play any of the new saga yet? as someone who owns both saga frontier and unlimited saga and never got too far in either, i was hoping maybe this would be the one that finally breaks the "not easy to enjoy" barrier these games love to throw up. i always thought the setting of these games was great, the variety of locales and disparate characters and the future melded with medieval ruins and structures. reading about all the endgame locales of unlimited was one of the things that made me buy it back years after my first attempt. i know theres a demo but i have trouble getting into a rpg demos myself. just looking for some boots on the ground early opinions, eiyuden being a bit unsteady has held me off from that one and i have a rpg shaped hole in my april heart.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Well, I cleared Fallout 4. Honestly, I was expecting worse on a variety of things, but the shooting's the best it's been that you can with this stupid engine and the only things I don't really like are the settlement UI (the settlements themselves are pretty neat otherwise) and the fact that sneaking is a pain in the rear end in close proximity because it really felt like everyone had eyes in the back of their head despite everything I did short of a Stealth Boy usage (had low equip weight, used as much sneaking mods, the works). Story's fine, don't really have much of an issue with it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is Emerald Beyond an easier entry point than the original game? I know that it eschews many RPG trappings, like currency or any kind of area traversal, and it has the familiar progression system of SaGa where your stats rise with each battle.

There's a lot of RPGs on the table right now, but I find this one with the scottish robot and gay cop duo too enticing to brush over. Only finished SaGa Frontier remaster.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phantasium posted:

can you believe i finally bought a Wii for Symphonia 2 and Metroid Other M?

ouch

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I liked Other M. Well aware that this is an uncommon opinion; I just thought it was fun to play.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Xenoblade 3 had the entire party of six come together early on, and having all six of them engage in the side content. But what if a game had a roster that was Chrono Cross size or even Suikoden big, and they all spoke up in conversations. It'd be both annoying yet hilarious.

Super Robot Wars gets pretty close to that at times, especially the one time where every single one of the several dozen female characters in your team starts shouting at a particular villain just much he sucks :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is Emerald Beyond an easier entry point than the original game? I know that it eschews many RPG trappings, like currency or any kind of area traversal, and it has the familiar progression system of SaGa where your stats rise with each battle.

There's a lot of RPGs on the table right now, but I find this one with the scottish robot and gay cop duo too enticing to brush over. Only finished SaGa Frontier remaster.

I would say it is absolutely one of the easier ones to get into in terms of being able to just play it without a guide or anything. It's still a weird game though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Original game as in Final Fantasy Legends 1? Or do you just mean compared to Scarlet Grace?

Assuming you mean Scarlet Grace I think it’ll depend on the player, they’re both pretty similar. Emerald Beyond has shorter, more varied scenarios and a bunch of different races that power up in different ways, are the two biggest differences. It’s a little more bite-sized since you can play through a whole world and its self-contained story in a single sitting.

It’s very much an iteration on Scarlet Grace though, with a big focus on the (very good) battle system. As a SaGa lover and Scarlet Grace enjoyer I’m having a blast, but I don’t know if I’d say one is easier to get into than the other.

Although to be clear I always considered Scarlet Grace one of the easiest SaGas to get into, so matching that is a good thing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Tales of Symphonia 2 is the only absolute F-tier Tales game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symphonia 2 is better than at least 5 tales games i can name

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hearts r rules, it has gambits and a witch who uses a giant paintbrush for a broom

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They gave the brown-haired dude the power over puppets yet he still looks and sounds incredibly boring next to the other five heroes.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Hibbloes posted:

i know theres a demo but i have trouble getting into a rpg demos myself. just looking for some boots on the ground early opinions, eiyuden being a bit unsteady has held me off from that one and i have a rpg shaped hole in my april heart.

Just try the demo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hibbloes posted:

Anyone play any of the new saga yet? as someone who owns both saga frontier and unlimited saga and never got too far in either, i was hoping maybe this would be the one that finally breaks the "not easy to enjoy" barrier these games love to throw up. i always thought the setting of these games was great, the variety of locales and disparate characters and the future melded with medieval ruins and structures. reading about all the endgame locales of unlimited was one of the things that made me buy it back years after my first attempt. i know theres a demo but i have trouble getting into a rpg demos myself. just looking for some boots on the ground early opinions, eiyuden being a bit unsteady has held me off from that one and i have a rpg shaped hole in my april heart.

It's pretty accessible. You won't get lost because the map points out locations you can go to and there's a lot of in game documentation. Also the demo progress carries over to the full game so you might as well take a look at it anyways.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dededaio2/status/1783555566641578374

welcome back transphobia

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tequila Bob posted:

I liked Other M. Well aware that this is an uncommon opinion; I just thought it was fun to play.

the moment to moment combat was fun enough (except the 'tilt the remote to the screen for first person missiles' thing) yeah

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress why is the droprate for eggs so bad in Eiyuden. I just want to recruit this person.

Infinity Gaia posted:

(Eiyuden) ... Huh. I dunno if it was just this one boss or all bosses or what but... Mio just landed a Iai Strike instakill against the annoying as hell countering plant boss in the forest, when you're taking the little tree guy back home. On that note, I'm surprised by people claiming this game is easy, are they playing on Normal? Because it's been a fairly decent challenge on Hard. Not like, ultra difficult or anything but everything puts up a decent level of resistance.

Apparently Mio can insta-kill any enemy, including bosses, with that ability. Not sure if that's intended for bosses or not.

I'm playing on hard and it seems more tedious than anything. Regular enemies still die quickly, though I have no reference for how much this is changed from normal, but bosses take forever with what seems like massively inflated hp pools. I am never really at risk of dying, it's just a boring slog.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It was a major loss that there was no button remapping on Dread, since it was easily the best Metroid otherwise.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol ftw

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Radia posted:

Symphonia, Vesperia, Zestiria. Feel free to skip any of the 2d ones if they aren't vibing with you either since the battle systems are very simple.

GateOfD posted:

Tales of Symphonia 2 is the only absolute F-tier Tales game.

It's better than Symphonia.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
probably will try the Paper Mario YYTD remake, never played it, but hear its one of the greats.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there a more technically mediocre yet utterly despised game than Sticker Star.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I... guess???? that's good? In that Beldam being lovely to Vivian about being trans means she's canonically trans?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the paradox where a faithful localization makes a character more trans. twitter dudes are imploding rn

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

the paradox where a faithful localization makes a character more trans. twitter dudes are imploding rn

you love to see it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Endorph posted:

symphonia 2 is better than at least 5 tales games i can name

I'd replay it if it wasn't locked to ps3/wii

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol i thought they ported it to pc but i guess not

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bussamove posted:

Seriously, how can you dislike Magilou? She’s the best/worst.

I could see how a person who dislikes broken people or lesbians not liking magilou

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's better than Symphonia.

nice troll

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I could see how a person who dislikes broken people or lesbians not liking magilou
meowy please stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

meowy please stop

I'm saying I could see it, I'm not saying I codone it.