Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This episode was so good I had to go back and watch it again in Japanese. gently caress yeah. I've been waiting for this for so long, and I'm glad you all get to enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

So your sister's been eaten by a dragon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A guy who is incapable of directly communicating his feelings and a guy who is incapable of reading subtlety in other people getting into a punch up while each team's mom and dad figure look on was pretty great.

Kabru weighing his options between killing Laios or eating harpy omelets. Guy has two modes: kill humanoids or get to know them. And then possibly kill them at a later date. He's not exactly beating those sociopath allegations.

I liked the second half of the episode a lot more than the first half, but that's probably because the Twitter crowd had spoiled the big reveal of chimera Falin months ago. It was certainly effective but if I went in completely blind it might have been more shocking.

I also think it might have been a pitfall of adaptation because the fight with Chimera Falin feels like it should have been an episode closer leaving things on a cliffhanger with 80% of the party dead. Putting it at the start it still works but it really cuts the episode into two halves.

Minor things but whatever.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 25, 2024

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
lol at Laios being insanely jealous of Falin's monster loadout.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SkeletonHero posted:

I'm seeing Laios come back as a human head on a warg body and immediately getting hyped about his amazing good fortune.

If Laios was resurrected as a half human half warg hybrid he would be the happiest werewolf alive. It probably wouldn't change his life that much either, he could just pass himself off as a super buff kobold and keep on adventuring with his sister and friends.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Laois fumbled with Shuro, but still has a chance to make it work with Kabru (if Kabru doesn't kill him anyway).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shuro truly embodying that passive-aggressive politeness figure.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

When Kabru contemplates the harpy omelet, his memory goes back to what looks like his mom and village being annihilated by dungeon monsters.

It kinda makes sense why hes so stern about peoples purpose in the dungeon. Hes lived that terror when people dont do thier job.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DrSunshine posted:

I can't believe they did the Gainax Bounce for that!!!

Such good animation for this episode.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'm still not over the dissonance of having Falin bounce into view with such grace and beauty immediately after smashing someone into a pulp. Truly the storyboarder understands the target audience lol

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Marcille's "WOAH HEY" was the funniest thing.

Also, so that's why the Netflix rating has included "nudity" all this time. Thinking ahead I guess.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Opening is so inappropriate for this episode lol

It feels odd that they went for that opening to this season, which has generally been a bit nastier/messier/more complicated.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Context aside it's also very funny to think that Shuro spent less than a day around Laios and decided he was going to pack up and sail home.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I've always understood and vibbed with the reading of Liaos as autistic but it never hit home as much as him being told all his enthusiasm and sincere curiosity was making the guy he considered his first friend want to kill him. Glad he stuck up for himself in the end.
"What's the point in you having a mouth.?" I'm sure fan artists can answer that...

Gotta respect how much people are openly enjoying Falin's soft and downy plumage as well. Embrace the series to fullest.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Things went so bad so quick I legit forgot they had revives and heals haha

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How did this episode manage to be so funny, so horrifying and so drat cool all at once.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Extremely relevant side manga, Lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"5 Hours Later" in the SpongeBob narrator voice.

Followed by a hyper detailed closeup of Shuro's agony.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Today's chapters

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Very telling that the thing that moves Marcille to horrified begging is not the threat of being turned over to the authorities, but rather the prospect of Falin meeting a final death

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Very telling that the thing that moves Marcille to horrified begging is not the threat of being turned over to the authorities, but rather the prospect of Falin meeting a final death

I mean, using forbidden magic to bring someone back to life speaks of someone who has made peace with the possibility of being arrested for crimes against nature, but is VERY MUCH NOT prepared to see their friend all-the-way-dead

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question (and feel free to PM me if the answer ends up going into spoiler territory). So Shuro and his retinue are pretty blatantly fantasy Japanese, especially if they come from the "Eastern Archipelago". Shuro's behaviour is pretty typical of samurai characters and his inability to speak directly about things that bother him reads to me thing Ryoko Kui infused him with Japanese social norms (avoiding direct confrontation, passive-aggressive politeness, etc). When he proposed to Falin, did it come out of nowhere or had they built up a rapport during their time in Laios's first party group? When Namari mentions he'd gone the other way to find Falin the party calls him clueless, and paired with his outbursts this episode it's clear he's terrible at communicating the same way the other cultures do. It seems like the Eastern islanders are the odd ones out among the social customs of the island locals and the northerners. They obviously don't represent all easterners, since Kabru's mage Rin doesn't like being lumped in with Shuro's culture just because she's also ethnically eastern.

All that preamble out of the way, does the story go further into the cultural divide between the various Tall Men societies in this world? Is a straight up marriage proposal out of the ordinary among non-eastern tall-men? How much of Shuro's issues are personal ones versus societal ones?

Like I said, if this is significant spoiler talk then PM me but I don't know where else to ask. I haven't read the manga and asking in that thread means navigating a lot more black bars and unspoilered content that we haven't seen yet in the show.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 25, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

All that preamble out of the way, does the story go further into the cultural divide between the various Tall Men societies in this world? Is a straight up marriage proposal out of the ordinary among non-eastern tall-men? How much of Shuro's issues are personal ones versus societal ones?

Like I said, if this is significant spoiler talk then PM me but I don't know where else to ask. I haven't read the manga and asking in that thread means navigating a lot more black bars and unspoilered content that we haven't seen yet in the show.

It really doesn't, not really, I'm sorry to say. I'd even go so far as to say that it goes into more detail about Gnomish, Elven and Dwarvish culture than tallmen, though a lot of that is even devolved to the side comics and extras. It's a credit to the genius of the author that much of it is left unsaid, alluded to, or as an exercise to the reader.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Hammer posted:

Question (and feel free to PM me if the answer ends up going into spoiler territory). So Shuro and his retinue are pretty blatantly fantasy Japanese, especially if they come from the "Eastern Archipelago". Shuro's behaviour is pretty typical of samurai characters and his inability to speak directly about things that bother him reads to me thing Ryoko Kui infused him with Japanese social norms (avoiding direct confrontation, passive-aggressive politeness, etc). When he proposed to Falin, did it come out of nowhere or had they built up a rapport during their time in Laios's first party group? When Namari mentions he'd gone the other way to find Falin the party calls him clueless, and paired with his outbursts this episode it's clear he's terrible at communicating the same way the other cultures do. It seems like the Eastern islanders are the odd ones out among the social customs of the island locals and the northerners. They obviously don't represent all easterners, since Kabru's mage Rin doesn't like being lumped in with Shuro's culture just because she's also ethnically eastern.

Nah, this is pretty much the extent of that. There's more about differences in culture between races (elves, half-foots, etc) than between different regional varieties of any one of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DrSunshine posted:

It really doesn't, not really, I'm sorry to say. I'd even go so far as to say that it goes into more detail about Gnomish, Elven and Dwarvish culture than tallmen, though a lot of that is even devolved to the side comics and extras. It's a credit to the genius of the author that much of it is left unsaid, alluded to, or as an exercise to the reader.

Ah that's too bad, but at least I'm pretty sure I took away what Kui intended for the reader to understand. It's pretty fun to Kabru-craft a bit and try and figure out Shuro's reasoning and actions. Like, his retinue have already got it in their heads (and 4th wall breaks) that Shuro will save Falin and have a kid with him as their next lord. And then we find out that Falin hadn't even said yes to his proposal yet and just told him she would think about it. So what was your plan, Shuro? Grab your family retainers and rescue Falin on your own, sweeping her away from the Island and going home to the East with a bride in tow, leaving her obnoxious brother behind? He rips into Laios for being unable to read a room yet he decided to go off and plan his own rescue rather than stick with people who are adamant about getting their friend/sibling back. He condemns Marcille for her methods despite that being the only way they could have saved Falin to begin with and calls Laios reckless. He doesn't seem to consider what kind of emotional attachment they have to Falin that would drive them to such extremes to save her, but somehow Shuro's gonna do it all the while not sleeping or eating. That's not reckless. And yet somehow it's Laios who can't read people. And all this over a girl that for all we know he had a one-sided crush on because he could never express it until he sprang a marriage proposal.

He's a fun character for being such a wreck.

Also Chilchuck and Mickbell eavesdropping on them and both agreeing tallmen are weird was a good bit.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

As fun as it is to joke about how much Shuro hates Laios, it's also important to remember that at the end of the episode Shuro still offers to smuggle Laios out of the country to keep him out of prison.

Toshiro has many complicated feelings towards Laois, and not all of them are negative.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

As fun as it is to joke about how much Shuro hates Laios, it's also important to remember that at the end of the episode Shuro still offers to smuggle Laios out of the country to keep him out of prison.

Toshiro has many complicated feelings towards Laois, and not all of them are negative.

Also at no point during his vent session does he correct Laios about his name.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah he says that he admires Laios's determination, which is funny because that confidence seems to stem from the same upfront enthusiasm that exasperates Shuro.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Ah that's too bad, but at least I'm pretty sure I took away what Kui intended for the reader to understand. It's pretty fun to Kabru-craft a bit and try and figure out Shuro's reasoning and actions. Like, his retinue have already got it in their heads (and 4th wall breaks) that Shuro will save Falin and have a kid with him as their next lord. And then we find out that Falin hadn't even said yes to his proposal yet and just told him she would think about it. So what was your plan, Shuro? Grab your family retainers and rescue Falin on your own, sweeping her away from the Island and going home to the East with a bride in tow, leaving her obnoxious brother behind? He rips into Laios for being unable to read a room yet he decided to go off and plan his own rescue rather than stick with people who are adamant about getting their friend/sibling back. He condemns Marcille for her methods despite that being the only way they could have saved Falin to begin with and calls Laios reckless. He doesn't seem to consider what kind of emotional attachment they have to Falin that would drive them to such extremes to save her, but somehow Shuro's gonna do it all the while not sleeping or eating. That's not reckless. And yet somehow it's Laios who can't read people. And all this over a girl that for all we know he had a one-sided crush on because he could never express it until he sprang a marriage proposal.

He's a fun character for being such a wreck.

Also Chilchuck and Mickbell eavesdropping on them and both agreeing tallmen are weird was a good bit.

Shuro suffers pretty bad from "Main character" syndrome.

Actually, come to think of it, DnD is pretty unique in having multiple characters that think of themselves as the main characters - Kabru, Shuro, etc - and it subtly deconstructs how actual main characters would come off as offputting and flawed in various ways. Laios, who actually is a main character, is an excellent sendup of the classic boneheaded, single-track-minded shounen protagonist. "I'm going to defeat the mad mage and save my sister!" That's Luffy. That's Naruto. That's Goku! Applying shounen main character logic to a realistic setting and having normal people look at them from outside, results in exposing how shounen protagonist thinking comes off as almost autistic, or at the very least, deeply self-centered.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
the chicken has arrived

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/ITHK_IMOK/status/1783542086274543853

Laios's perspective vs. Shuro's perspective

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I lost it at Emily's line read when Faligon ripped off her shirt.
The English dub has been outstanding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

He's a straight up muppet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I still don’t trust kabru and that egg was wasted on his rear end since he was going back anyway and he can’t appreciate monster meals

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well he'll definitely never appreciate them if he never has any!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Marcille's "WOAH HEY" was the funniest thing.

Also, so that's why the Netflix rating has included "nudity" all this time. Thinking ahead I guess.

duz posted:

I lost it at Emily's line read when Faligon ripped off her shirt.
The English dub has been outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNLoghryLA

My cousin put it pretty well. Japanese Laios is a little too generic. Damien Haas is great at making him sound as unhinged as he really does to the rest of the cast.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well he'll definitely never appreciate them if he never has any!

kabru is the kind of guy who doesn't like oysters for the reasons people like them always have to make known very very vocally

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

lmao in the corner of Shuro's perspective you can see a bit of Falin's clothes sitting on the bench with them. He must have been crashing the date.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 26, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shuro would post this in r/aita or r/relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Shuro would post this in r/aita or r/relationships.

that would require self awareness

im honestly surprised no one has read falin as ace and everyone is barking up the wrong tree