Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i use the sweet theme because it covers every loving app under the sun at this point. i don't think i can go back to a time where every app has its own distinct ugly style anymore. even all the app icons are custom to fit in line with everything else, it's a really high effort theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I use nixos fyi

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgic for the 1999 when the world was dominated by super opinionated windows managers developed by one kid in their basement in like 100kb of source. Don't like your current? Just hit the next one in the list and give it a try. Or hack the source to do what you need.

There were like a hundred of them available. I forget the site that linked to them all though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

Nostalgic for the 1999 when the world was dominated by super opinionated windows managers developed by one kid in their basement in like 100kb of source. Don't like your current? Just hit the next one in the list and give it a try. Or hack the source to do what you need.

There were like a hundred of them available. I forget the site that linked to them all though.

freshmeat?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I remember in maybe 97/98 when I installed my first Linux, Enlightenment WM was recently released. It was easy to customize to look like a Winamp skin and years later when I played Eve Online the UI reminded me of Enlightenment. I don't remember how good or bad it was, but at that time it was one of the only WMs that paid any attention to visuals.

It was the hottest poo poo for a teenager like me.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, that theme looks extremely familiar.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Factorio's devblog has an interesting section this week on developing games for linux. https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-408

Highlight:

quote:

Most desktop environments will allow windows to supply their own decorations if they wish but will provide a default implementation on the server side as an alternative. GNOME, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that all clients must provide their own decorations, and if a client does not, they will simply be missing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desktop environments on the server side, you say…

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, that's a fundamental design feature of X11. Gnome are the silly ones here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gnome is working overtime to make gnome as polished a turd as possible so this doesn't surprise me at all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

Well, that's a fundamental design feature of X11. Gnome are the silly ones here.

Window decorations are not part of X11 on the server side, which is why when you gently caress up your xinit and start up an X server and Xterm on the stippled background you can’t move the terminal window. they’re provided by the window manager, which is a (privileged) client to the X server—if they were part of the server they’d be the same between desktop environments, because they all use the same server

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oops, sorry, yeah. I used to be a lot smarter.

I got window manager and server crossed up in my dumb brain.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

lobsterminator posted:

I remember in maybe 97/98 when I installed my first Linux, Enlightenment WM was recently released. It was easy to customize to look like a Winamp skin and years later when I played Eve Online the UI reminded me of Enlightenment. I don't remember how good or bad it was, but at that time it was one of the only WMs that paid any attention to visuals.

Which version of Fallout is this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Window decorations are not part of X11 on the server side, which is why when you gently caress up your xinit and start up an X server and Xterm on the stippled background you can’t move the terminal window. they’re provided by the window manager, which is a (privileged) client to the X server—if they were part of the server they’d be the same between desktop environments, because they all use the same server

And every other GUI (Windows, macOS) makes individual applications draw their own decorations for good technical reasons. One of the reasons Wayland was created was specifically this issue, and the fact that KDE rolls back to X11 style window decorations is weird grognardy behavior on their part.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

And every other GUI (Windows, macOS) makes individual applications draw their own decorations for good technical reasons. One of the reasons Wayland was created was specifically this issue, and the fact that KDE rolls back to X11 style window decorations is weird grognardy behavior on their part.
Isn't the compositor still responsible for providing decorations for Xwayland windows? In which case, I don't know that KWin's behavior is that weird.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

That really whips the llama's rear end

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
hmmm true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Not bad. Still, those are easy to dismiss arguments. The only one that matters is: "why should I start?" The arguments "for" are, again, trivially dismissable.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Isn't the compositor still responsible for providing decorations for Xwayland windows? In which case, I don't know that KWin's behavior is that weird.

Yeah, because X apps expect the window manage to provide the frames. Wayland explicitly did the reverse, and then KDE hosed it up.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah, because X apps expect the window manage to provide the frames. Wayland explicitly did the reverse, and then KDE hosed it up.

KDE is trying to right a historic wrong here, they are not to blame for anything as regards window decorations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I can understand that an application might want to draw its own title bar and buttons, and I can understand an option that means "actually I don't want any of that just draw my box", but why is it bad default behavior for the window manager to give you the title bar if you didn't specify anything else?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It turns window resizing into a two-phase operation that results in cropped images (when shrinking) or solid color fills (when enlarging).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Another handful of questions for u fine folks:

Does anyone have experience with the unofficial discord clients? I know you can get banned using them, but the window flickers constantly, typing has a 500ms delay, and video streaming doesn’t work.

Also plasma 6 looks a lot nicer than the previous iteration, but I think I’m done loving around with KDE and going back to gnome to pray that the sleep crash is fixed. Can I shove my steam library onto my NAS while it reinstalls, then just move them back to the correct folder? Or do the games care which DE you’re using or something

Last one: I’m on Bazzite and the docs say to run a ujust command to register with secure boot, but running the command tells me the mobo doesn’t support it. Is secure boot necessary or advised for linux, and is there a way to manually add the signed key from BIOS/UEFI? Also, should I unplug the windows drive while doing this?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Webcord works fine for me and as long as you fly under the radar you'll probably be fine. Obviously this goes out the window if someone gets a bee under their bonnet about you / webcord or what ever but chances are they probably won't care until you make them care.

The offical discord app gave me grief too and this has solved everything except for my posts sucking there which apparently is unrelated to the app that I use to post with.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

drat, looks like it’s eol

https://github.com/flathub/io.github.spacingbat3.webcord/commit/5440663a30bf500c0f9ec3149a4f298cf085d672

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Does anyone have experience with the unofficial discord clients? I know you can get banned using them, but the window flickers constantly, typing has a 500ms delay, and video streaming doesn’t work.

Also plasma 6 looks a lot nicer than the previous iteration, but I think I’m done loving around with KDE and going back to gnome to pray that the sleep crash is fixed. Can I shove my steam library onto my NAS while it reinstalls, then just move them back to the correct folder? Or do the games care which DE you’re using or something

Last one: I’m on Bazzite and the docs say to run a ujust command to register with secure boot, but running the command tells me the mobo doesn’t support it. Is secure boot necessary or advised for linux, and is there a way to manually add the signed key from BIOS/UEFI? Also, should I unplug the windows drive while doing this?

Funny enough, I'd been holding off on Linux for my spare laptop because it has two gpus but it sounded like bazzite could handle that with minimal effort. I just backed up windows and installed bazzite, it failed to boot with secure boot so I turned it off to get in. Their docs say it automatically detects if they support secure boot on your device. I am assuming mine is not supported.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 27, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It’s so weird since the Win10 disk is secure boot, and it says that SB is turned on on the mobo, but Bazzite says it doesn’t fly. This computer is going to be an Ubuntu server next month when I order parts for a new gaming rig, so I’m assuming the new mobo will support it and then I can figure it out without being worried of accidentally’ing the windows disk

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Vesktop/vencord

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
I just run Discord in the browser on my Linux machines and it's fine. I don't game on them (for now) though, so I'm not missing the desktop integration stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is secure boot necessary or advised for linux, and is there a way to manually add the signed key from BIOS/UEFI? Also, should I unplug the windows drive while doing this?

If you can get away without using Secure Boot it makes life with linux a shitton easier. The security advantages for a home user are not a huge deal. My take in another thread recently:

Klyith posted:

The type of attack it protects against is in the zone of sophisticated targeted attacks and advanced persistent threats. The bad guys compromise the earliest thing in the boot process and use that to compromise the OS in the most invisible way possible, so that they can keep a hidden foothold in somebody's network for years.

The average malware doesn't need to compromise your bootloader or stay invisibly hidden for years. It gets on your system, encrypts all your files, and then waves its dick in your face by popping up a big window that says "all ur filez are belong to me, send bitcoinz to zer0cool".

If you are windows-only leave it on, why not. But I don't see a huge vulnerability for normal home users turning it off. I've never seen reportage of a widespread attack that secureboot alone was proof against.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

and is there a way to manually add the signed key from BIOS/UEFI?

Yes. It's gonna be a bit different for every mobo maker's bios, but adding a custom key is a standard feature. This random webpage has the best step-by-step that I can easily see, but it'll likely be a bit different if you don't have an Asrock mobo.

I have no idea where bazzite puts the relevant cert, pk, and db files.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Also, should I unplug the windows drive while doing this?

Makes zero difference. Secure boot is on the BIOS, adding a key won't touch the drive.

(Also turning off secure boot won't really affect windows. Even if you're using 11 secure boot is just required for install, not operation. The only thing that will be totally broken is riot's anti-cheat.)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

If you can get away without using Secure Boot it makes life with linux a shitton easier. The security advantages for a home user are not a huge deal. My take in another thread recently:

Yes. It's gonna be a bit different for every mobo maker's bios, but adding a custom key is a standard feature. This random webpage has the best step-by-step that I can easily see, but it'll likely be a bit different if you don't have an Asrock mobo.

I have no idea where bazzite puts the relevant cert, pk, and db files.

Makes zero difference. Secure boot is on the BIOS, adding a key won't touch the drive.

(Also turning off secure boot won't really affect windows. Even if you're using 11 secure boot is just required for install, not operation. The only thing that will be totally broken is riot's anti-cheat.)

Ah great! Thanks for the explanation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I had to turn Secure Boot back on because my kids wanted me to play Valorant with them. Everything else works the same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there an equivalent of Windows' Add/Remove Programs in KDE Plasma/Arch? Discover only shows flatpaks, and I want to see a list of applications that were installed through the package manager.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 27, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there an equivalent of Windows' Add/Remove Programs in KDE Plasma? Discover only shows flatpaks, and I want to see a list of applications that were installed through the package manager.

No. Not yet anyways. The integrations Discover has right now -- like being about to do updates to system packages on some distros -- are still pretty new. Flatpaks are easy since flatpaks are the same everywhere.

So that's still up to whatever package manager your distro uses. If you're still using Ubuntu, the gui frontend for apt is Synaptic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I just found octopi for Arch so I'm going to give that a try. I don't really need a GUI manager going forward, I just chose to install KDE with all the applications and I need to go through a list and remove the ones I don't need.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Mucking about with an Ubuntu 24.04 install on a laptop. I have a USB fingerprint reader that works perfectly on Windows but not Linux. I tried to install fingerprint libraries using various instructions but no joy. Thoughts?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Any good recommendations for wireless keyboard compatible with Debian?

I was using a jelly comb keyboard/mouse set with my RasPi via bluetooth with Raspberry OS, so I figured it would be at least decently compatible with Debian 12. Guess not! :v:

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like the Logitech MX Keys Mini set is exactly what I'm looking for.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 28, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like the Logitech MX Keys Mini set is exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm a fan of the MX Mechanical (Mini).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nixos is just urbit 2 apparently