Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Shame Boy posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut i might have hit that just shows everythings auras all the time by accident? Somehow everybody just has the glowy outline around them and i can't get it to go away!

Yes. I think by default it’s the “grave” or backtick in the upper left of the keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Shame Boy posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut i might have hit that just shows everythings auras all the time by accident? Somehow everybody just has the glowy outline around them and i can't get it to go away!

Press the ~ key.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Docjowles posted:

Yes. I think by default it’s the “grave” or backtick in the upper left of the keyboard

Is THAT what that key is called? I've never heard it called that until playing BG 3!

MariusLecter posted:

Press the ~ key.

Many thanks to both of you! I guess i just fat fingered it at some point in combat :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I hit it loving constantly while trying to mash tab or escape and it took me a while to figure out why everyone sometimes had the weird halo effect

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Welp I have made it to act 3 on honor mode. Myrkul fight was kinda tense. Balthazar had an unfortunate barrel accident. Closest call was the Isobel fight. 9 hp away from losing her!

But the land is cleansed, Shadowheart is blonde, and off we go to Baldur's Gate! That golden die is so close...

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

I've been playing this game on and off since February and I'm poo poo at it but I'm having fun. I'm playing origin Gale and would like to use Knock to open chests and stuff instead of my savescum lockpicking routine. I learned Knock from a scroll but I found I somehow have 12/10 spells memorized. If I try to replace one with Knock I lose some of what I have here. How did I manage to get 12/10 in the first place, and is there any way to replace one with knock and still get have 12 spells? Not the end of the world if I have to go down to 10, but I do get some utility out of all of these...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

grack posted:

Okay, then, why bother? You're essentially doing two cantrips worth of damage and a single weapon swing in a round. Given the weapons and equipment available, it's pretty much never going to be better than 3-4 weapons attacks, especially if you get Sharpshooter/Great Weapon Master. Flame Blade at level 3 in the build you're suggesting is going to do ~13 damage. That's pretty pathetic even at midgame. On top of that, you're taking extra damage every round.

It's absolutely, 100% not worth it.

yeah, my instinct is that's not going to be better just 12 GWM fighter but i was trying to make a pathfinder-esque magus or dual wielder. Flame Blade doesn't get attribute scaling, but it does have big dice (good for crits) and gets damage riders.

i think the main issue is EK part of the build. instead of thinking about the cantrips and stuff, i should be thinking the best way to make use of a "free" Bonus Action off Flame Blade attack that doesn't require any dual wield feats (if you use a light weapon) or martial Attributes.

main problems i see are:
  • Spore subclass is best for using it except the self damage Burn hurts Symbiotic Entity that you have to build around with gear or Karlach.
  • Druid doesn't get Extra Attack unless you're shapeshifted.
  • the pay off should be more than to dump STR/DEX for your casting stat on melee rolls so you probably want a at least a half-caster
  • Options for your other hand are limited to Infernal Rapier (needs a feat), Sylvan Scimitar (weak), Shillelagh (clubs only, costs a turn). Could be other stuff I haven't seen yet.

so the classes you should pair it with are:
  • Ranger (half-caster)
  • EK (1/3rd caster)
  • Bard (Valour or Swords)
  • Light/War Cleric?
  • Full Druid

it'll probably be best as a back up option for the Druid or Cleric (though you gently caress up your spell access) and maybe a lovely Ranger.

while i was looking, i found these that i'm going to try warping into a melee variant: https://www.reddit.com/r/BG3Builds/comments/1b3zoo0/a_comprehensive_druid_multiclassing_cheatsheet/

quote:

Ranger + Druid

Combining the "nature warrior" with the "nature wizard" is a pretty safe bet. Rangers are typically known in BG3 for either going for 11+ Hunter or Beast Master, or multiclassing onto ranged nova builds as Gloom Stalkers. Gloom Stalker multiclasses well as its best feature is online at 3 in Dread Ambusher, and a couple more levels for Extra Attack is not too much of an investment from then on. Having a mini-Alert for initiative is great, and the extra boosted weapon attack on turn 1 represents good burst damage. In conjunction with Druid's massively improved spell list that also scales off of WIS, this combo can pull off some pretty nasty turn 1s. Starting combat with a leveled spell as your action, followed by a Dread Ambusher attack, and potentially followed by a bonus action offhand attack is hard to beat. The combo itself isn't even Druid subclass-specific, being able to flex between Land for a wider toolkit and Spores for more necrotic damage on weapon strikes, so pick your favorite. Overall, it functions as a strong middle ground between Ranger and Druid, combining their strengths but also becoming a weaker version of the pure variants of either. If you are looking to try out a more weapon combat-oriented Druid with a lot of nature-themed tools, this combo may be for you.

7/5 Ranger+ (7 Druid, 5 Gloom Stalker Ranger)

Pros:
  • Obvious RP win
  • Great opening action economy, able to fire off spells and attacks with the help of Dread Ambusher
  • Will feel like an upgraded Ranger with a greatly increased spell selection and access to summons
  • Can flex into Spores or Land (damage/summons vs. bigger toolkit/AOE)
Cons:
  • Will feel like a downgraded Druid with less spell slot progression in exchange for some weapon play
  • Starting Ranger for Extra Attack is good for progression, but delays Druid spellcasting until later in the game
  • Playstyle suits ranged variants more as Druid AOEs may impede you (less of an issue with Land's Stride)

Rogue + Druid

While this'll look weird at a glance, there is merit to combining a full caster that wants many levels (Druid) and a class that best functions as a dip (Rogue). Symbiotic Entity adds 1d6 Necrotic damage to all of your unarmed and weapon attacks while active, which is a neat "free" buff to damage. A full Spores Druid is not really positioned to make use of this, as a Druid is typically spending their actions on spells and is not proficient with weapons that would abuse the damage bonus. With Thief Rogue in play, we can make use of the Druid spell list with our actions, while bonus actions can be spent on offhand melee or ranged weapon attacks. Spells like Plant or Spike Growth help you keep enemies at bay, while also incentivizing ranged combat via offhand crossbow so as to not impede your own movement. Spores summons function as an additional wall of flesh to protect your Symbiotic Entity HP. Cunning Actions can save you in a pinch. You're essentially turning combat into an extended game of keep-away, laying AOE fields and summons between you and your foes and pinging them with necrotic damage from afar. If you'd like to weave crossbow bolts and nature's wrath with an army of summons to back you up, this may be the combo for you.

9/3 Southclaw Sniper (9 Spores Druid, 3 Thief Rogue)

Pros:
  • Great action economy, able to weave spells (actions) and offhand weapon attacks (bonus actions) in combat
  • Consistent DPR potential at range via Symbiotic Entity crossbow shots and summons
  • Potential to do ridiculous damage in Tactician difficulty and below due to DRS interactions with Symbiotic Entity and Sneak Attack
  • Rogue's slipperiness + Spores Druid meat shields + baseline Druid summons can help preserve the temporary HP, and thus the damage, from Symbiotic Entity

Cons:
  • Combat can take longer with an attrition-focused combo
    Micromanaging summons can be a drag, but helps this combo reach its max potential
  • 3 Rogue levels lock you out of 6th level spells, which means you can't cast Heroes' Feast on all of your summons without external support
  • Offhand melee or crossbow attacks will not add your DEX modifier without the Two Weapon Fighting style

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The Shame Boy posted:

yeah just tap the ~ key

e: ah poo poo a bunch of posts loaded out of nowhere nvm

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

If you're really dead set on this idea, maybe a combination of Open Hand Monk and Spore Druid? Open Hand Monk gives a lot of useful abilities that use Bonus Actions (Flurry of Blows, Bonus Strike, Topple, Step of the Wind) and good movement, Druid would give you more temp HP, bonus necrotic damage, decent spellcasting and some armour proficiencies.

5 Monk/7 Druid would give you the Fungal Infestation ability, 6 Monk/6 Druid would give you the unarmed damage bonuses. It's a straight damage downgrade when you chose to use Flaming Blade, but in return you improve survivability and flexibility. You can also still do crazy burst damage because you can generate multiple bonus actions.

grack fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 26, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
probably wouldn't go for that since the point is too see how far we can go in exploiting the Flame Blade/Pyroquickness interaction.

edit: wait, i might be understanding you wrong. i have no idea how monks work.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 26, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Incremus posted:

I've been playing this game on and off since February and I'm poo poo at it but I'm having fun. I'm playing origin Gale and would like to use Knock to open chests and stuff instead of my savescum lockpicking routine. I learned Knock from a scroll but I found I somehow have 12/10 spells memorized. If I try to replace one with Knock I lose some of what I have here. How did I manage to get 12/10 in the first place, and is there any way to replace one with knock and still get have 12 spells? Not the end of the world if I have to go down to 10, but I do get some utility out of all of these...

did you lose INT at the creche? afaik you get some bonus spell slots from high spellcasting stat

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

crepeface posted:

probably wouldn't go for that since the point is too see how far we can go in exploiting the Flame Blade/Pyroquickness interaction.

edit: wait, i might be understanding you wrong. i have no idea how monks work.

Monks can do crazy high damage with unarmed attacks in this game. At max level a single unarmed attack can do 40-50 damage once you get all your bonuses.

However, Monks also get a bunch of abilities that use Bonus Actions, in combination with a resource called "Ki" that replenishes on short rest. Flurry of Blows, which you can get at first level, allows you to use a Bonus Action and a Ki point to attack twice in a row. That's potentially 80+ damage from a single Bonus action. You can use Flurry of Blows as many times in a round as you want as long as you have Ki and Bonus Actions available. Open Hand Monks also get some other special abilities fueled with Bonus Actions like a trip attack, which is great on higher difficulties.

Even if you're out of Ki points, you can make a free unarmed attack using a Bonus action after making a regular weapon or unarmed attack against a target. This will work with any weapon you're proficient with, including weapon proficiencies gained from other classes.

Monks, more than any other class, scale their damage based on Bonus Actions instead of regular Actions. Any setup that increase the number of Bonus Actions you get in a round will be very powerful.

grack fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 26, 2024

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Another possibility for a somewhat silly gish build I've been toying with is something like a dual-wielding Bladelock/rogue/fighter, exploiting the Thief's extra bonus action and the fact that, while you can only bind your main-hand weapon as your pact weapon, nothing stops you from equipping it in your off-hand (and just equipping some trash-tier dagger or something in your main). It would, in theory, allow you to make two melee attacks and cast a spell (or two melee attacks and two eldritch blasts) per round, which could be fun for a darkness + devil's sight warlock. The downside of course is you need to invest the fighter levels for two-weapon fighting, and unless you're ok with your primary weapon being light you also need to burn a feat on Dual Wielder. Probably not super optimal, but could be fun.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Incremus posted:

how many wizards spells you can memorize depends on your int bonus, but if your int drops after memorizing them, you don't lose them, but you can't change them without bringing your int back up. very handy for builds that dip 1 level into wizard because of the int hat.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Doing my first honour run. Just killed Ansur, and contemplating sacking off the House of Grief and and House of Hope to avoid risk. Gonna get Gale to nova.

Do I need to do the murder tribunal before I go kill Orin? I've got as far as the baal temple waypoint to get Dribbles, and was planning to go knock?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Odd question: I'm at the doorstep of Act II right now, should I cycle back and through all of the stuff in the Underdark, or would that be better saved for a second playthrough some day? I already feel a bit lost in the game's scale, which makes it tempting to just bypass it and go on to Second Questing Zone, but I also don't know if I'm going to be crippled by it or miss huge chunks of narrative.

Anyways, that one fight with the pack of undead on the Rosymorn trail is very, very funny if you have Shadowheart (or anyone, really) wielding the Blood of Lathander. Baddies run up, get blinded, hit nothing, die to Spirit Guardians (which were also a life-saver against the Gith inquisitor ambush) and glyphs and smites. If anything's annoying me right now, it's that the monastery and creche drowned me in Pretty Good equipment and now I actually have to assign that gear to my party. And knowing myself, I will spend hours overthinking things before I come up with a setup I like. Then I'll spend hours more changing it after one fight.

reiterating: i do not like these Githyanki, their smug aura (and murderousness) mocks me and also the queen seems like a little tiny bit of a bitch, imo

I do like how going through the Creche either involves grabbing the idiot ball repeatedly or, I assume, just crashing in and murdering everything and probably making Lae'zel hate you
also, my Dream Guardian is the character I was was going to play as before I clicked tiefling on a whim and went "there we go, perfect." maybe in a second playthrough...

Lae'zel... :smith: (cool mace and landscape though)

Gale... :smith: I kind of wish there was a Mass Effect-style Punch A Dick In The Head interrupt here, even if a level 20 wizard would probably just unmake my whole party

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

GimpInBlack posted:

Another possibility for a somewhat silly gish build I've been toying with is something like a dual-wielding Bladelock/rogue/fighter, exploiting the Thief's extra bonus action and the fact that, while you can only bind your main-hand weapon as your pact weapon, nothing stops you from equipping it in your off-hand (and just equipping some trash-tier dagger or something in your main). It would, in theory, allow you to make two melee attacks and cast a spell (or two melee attacks and two eldritch blasts) per round, which could be fun for a darkness + devil's sight warlock. The downside of course is you need to invest the fighter levels for two-weapon fighting, and unless you're ok with your primary weapon being light you also need to burn a feat on Dual Wielder. Probably not super optimal, but could be fun.

Quoting myself like a jerk, but I've been thinking about this build a little more and wonder what folks think:

First off, obviously, go straight to warlock 5, picking up the usual suspects (blade pact, agonizing blast, devil's sight). Any of the warlock subclasses can work here IMO--the Fiend's temp hp is always helpful when getting into melee, Archfey's short-range CC is more useful for a character getting into melee than a blaster, and with some crit-improving gear, by the time the build comes fully online you can be making two eldritch blast attacks and two melee attacks per turn, which is a lot of chances to proc Frightened from Great Old One.

One of the big weaknesses in this build is (potentially) a lack of feats, so you might want to start off with a 17 Cha and aim to get the hag's hair to get it up to 18 so you're not stuck with a +3 mod until late-game, because you'll want Dual Wielder at level 4, unless you want to use scimitars/short swords. Alternatively, you could start with 16, take ASI at level 4, and either respec a few levels later to replace it with Dual Wielder once you have TWF, or just stick with light weapons until you pick up a non-light weapon worth using as your primary attack.

At level 6, grab a level of fighter for TWF and better armor proficiency. You might consider respeccing to make fighter your first level for heavy armor and Con save proficiency, even, and if you didn't pick up Dual Wielder at 4, you'll want to respec into it now unless you have a light weapon you really like.

Levels 7-9 are a bit of dealer's choice in terms of order--action surge is useful for everybody, so another fighter level isn't a bad choice first, or you could hop over to rogue and start beelining for Thief and that sweet sweet second bonus action. At this point, you'll want to bind your preferred weapon as your pact weapon in your main hand, then move it to your off-hand and equip something else in your main hand. Your main hand attacks are basically going to be a trap, even though you get the extra attack feature from Pact of the Blade--if you want to attack using your action, you'll do it with eldritch blast, but now you have two attacks with your off-hand weapon thanks to the double bonus action.

Once you're a warlock 5/rogue 3/fighter 1, there are a few ways you could go, depending on what you want. Choose any two of the following:

Pushing rogue to 4 would get you a second feat and an extra sneak attack die--ASI (Cha) is an obvious choice here, but there are Cha-boosting items in the late game (though one is pretty tricky to get), so you could go with something else. Actor is not a bad choice if this is your main character (and/or you beefed getting the hag's hair and you want to bump Charisma). Defensive duelist is a pretty solid reaction, but might not be as necessary if your main strategy is going to be "cast darkness, run inside, commence to stabbin''." War Caster's advantage on Concentration is nice, warlocks have a lot of good concentration spells. Spell Sniper: Thorn Whip could also be useful in some cases--being able to pull enemies into your darkness is nice, especially since you can't cast it on an item in BG3, and the extra spell crit chance helps your eldritch blasts, especially if you're a GoO warlock.

Pushing fighter to 2 gets you action surge. I don't need to elaborate on this.

Pushing warlock to 7 gets you 4th-level spells and a new eldritch invocation--again, obviously useful.

Gear-wise, anything that buffs Charisma or gives bonus Cha mod to damage is going to be great. I'd actually go for the Ring of Arcane Synergy over the Diadem, just because there's a Cha-boosting hat later on, and you should have enough opportunities to eldritch blast any round where you're not casting darkness or another CC spell (and if you go with the fighter 2 build, even on some rounds when you are!).

I don't think there's an easy way to get Perform prof on this build (EDIT: I was wrong, Perform is a rogue class skill! And the Entertainer background is a thing! And the Actor feat gives Perform and Deception, not Persuasion and Deception! There are lots of ways!) so the Harmonic Dueler might not be a good choice, if you can pull off that DC15 check it will add another stack of Cha mod. Potent Robe will definitely hurt your AC, but an extra stack of Cha on your blasts is probably worth it--stock up on mage armor scrolls! If you want to maximize your melee effectiveness over gishyness, you could swap your pact weapon back to your main hand and grab the Infernal Rapier for your offhand, since it uses your Cha mod for attacks inherently.

Obviously you'll also want to try to get the Cha bonuses from the mirror.

I'm sure there are other things I'm neglecting here--I've got a pretty good grasp of class synergies and mechanics, but my knowledge of BG3's item options is far from encyclopedic.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 27, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Odd question: I'm at the doorstep of Act II right now, should I cycle back and through all of the stuff in the Underdark, or would that be better saved for a second playthrough some day? I already feel a bit lost in the game's scale, which makes it tempting to just bypass it and go on to Second Questing Zone, but I also don't know if I'm going to be crippled by it or miss huge chunks of narrative.

You can skip it, but I think most would recommend doing both parts of Act 1. You won't be crippled or miss huge chunks of narrative if you do skip it, but what's down there is worth seeing and like most of Act 1, there's parts that ripple on into future quests.

If it's any consolation, Act 2 is shorter and more linear so you can think of that as a breather.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is the teahouse supposed to be brutally hard? I felt obliged to start reading spoilers about it and somehow every single strategy and hint I've read doesn't work or doesn't seem to apply to the game that I'm playing. Each time I re-load things play out a bit differently as I try to adjust but this area seems filled with hard-hitting enemies with attacks I don't recognize that one-shot my party members.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 26, 2024

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

There are some very cool story moments in the underdark but they will be there next time. The underdark in general is much easier than the mountain pass, so if you cleared all that without issues you don't really need the gear or xp from there, esp if your'e not on honor mode. I skipped it entirely on my first playthrough which was on balanced mode and it was fine, and made my next playthrough feel different. Narrative overload is definitely a thing in this game, and Act 2 is much more focused and linear so if that sounds like what you'd rather do go for it.

quote:

Lae'zel... :smith:

This might be my favorite line in the whole game.

Dick Trauma posted:

Is the teahouse supposed to be brutally hard? I felt obliged to start reading spoilers about it and somehow every single strategy and hint I've read doesn't work or doesn't seem to apply to the game that I'm playing. Each time I re-load things play out a bit differently as I try to adjust but this area seems filled with hard-hitting enemies with attacks I don't recognize that one-shot my party members.

EDIT: And I've found that I really do need to long rest after most fights because otherwise all you have are cantrips, which are definitely not getting it done.

The teahouse really forces you learn the mechanics of the game and exploit them, esp if you're underleveled. There's no shame in just leaving and coming back at level 5!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: And I've found that I really do need to long rest after most fights because otherwise all you have are cantrips, which are definitely not getting it done.

What level are you, what difficulty are you on, what's your party loadout? It's definitely easier if you're around level 5-6, but I don't recall anything in there that should be scary enough to one-shot you on the regular, unless you're going there at like level 2. What enemies are you having trouble with in particular?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

EDIT: You know what I think I'll just restart the game and try to pay more attention this time. I thought I knew the basics of D&D type games but I've always been bad at having to figure out clever little tricks to deal with everything instead of straight up combat. I mean things like "oh you didn't cast a firebolt on the chandelier so that it would fall and block the adds while one of your characters pickpockets them and unlocks the cage with the wyvern which will knock a hole in the wall so you can climb the hidden stairs to throw the switch that floods the main floor that..." ad infinitum. I'm not smart enough for that sort of game compared to things like the Dragon Age series which I did fine with.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 26, 2024

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm not sure what level I am, I'll have to check. 3 maybe? My PC is a bard, with Gale, Shadowheart and the evil gith. The redcaps one shot Gale and Shadowheart, and I managed to kill them but Ethel ran off and when I pursued her into that cave things got complicated and frustrating and I felt like I was expected to just know what all these weird random magic objects were, and how to deal with four more heavy-hitters, each coming attacking from a different corner of the room so you couldn't really do more than just go toe-to-toe. You can't cast an AoE crowd control when enemies are always right on top of you, which seems to happen in each fight because most enemies dash to get into melee range. I can't get into any kind of formation, like getting Gale in the back to attack from range, get the gith in front to take some of the aggro because I always get swarmed in the first round or two.

Level 3 is definitely pretty low level for that, especially with three relatively squishy characters. Take it slow! Prep with some buff spells like bless, mage armor for Gale, etc. You should be able to pick off the redcaps outside before going into the tea house so you're not dealing with an attack on two fronts. A turn where all the enemies dash is a gift to you, because it's a turn where they aren't doing anything else. Exploit that! Even if you can't get an AoE off, a single-target control spell like Tasha's hideous laughter, Blindness, whatever, will still lock one of them down and that's a 25% force reduction while Lae'zel goes and murders their faces.

Re: Formations, don't forget you can enter turn-based mode any time you want and control each party member exactly. Don't forget that not all AoE spells are instantaneous effects! A cloud of daggers or a darkness at a chokepoint can totally change the encounter.

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: You know what I think I'll just restart the game and try to pay more attention this time. I thought I knew the basics of D&D type games but I've always been bad at having to figure out clever little tricks to deal with everything instead of straight up combat. I mean things like "oh you didn't cast a firebolt on the chandelier so that it would fall and block the adds while one of your characters pickpockets them and unlocks the cage with the wyvern which will knock a hole in the wall so you can climb the hidden stairs to throw the switch that floods the main floor that..." ad infinitum. I'm not smart enough for that sort of game compared to things like the Dragon Age series which I did fine with.

You really don't need to do stuff like this. There are environmental hazards you can exploit, sure, and there are some interactions between different kinds of surfaces like fire/water/ice/electricity, but there's nothing like what you're describing in BG3's fights, and you can absolutely win with just straight up combat. My first playthrough I basically ignored buffs, consumables, scrolls, and generally just focused on damage output and I beat the game with only a few reloads. And while I've played plenty of D&D ranging from 2e through 4e, BG3 was my first experience with 5e as a system. Just pay attention to your level vs. enemy level and don't be afraid to come back later if they outrank you.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 26, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
every playthrough now I do the teahouse last in act 1

no taking chances, rip to those who died, sorry it took so long lil frog

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Same, but mostly because I need Auntie to supply me with karate drugs as long as possible.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you should do the teahouse last anyway so you can buy more of ethel's giant strength elixirs.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Zodium posted:

you should do the teahouse last anyway so you can buy more of ethel's giant strength elixirs.

:hfive: karate drugs buddy.

That being said, I did discover in my last playthrough that vendors restock even on a partial long rest (i.e. one where you don't use any camp supplies), so you absolutely can just spend 20 minutes or so the first time you get a decent stack in Act 1 partial resting and buying more potions and have enough to last the rest of the game.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

cash crab posted:

i feel like it’s different to ascend as the origin rather than the companion to the player. he wants to ascend so bad because he’s been tormented for centuries and wants revenge even after seeing cazadors masters head in his room and understanding it’s a cycle of abuse. he doesn’t care because he doesn’t see any other option.

I would argue the same thing about ascending gale. without a pal he’s kind of stalwart about the same blind ambition that got him into a position where he has to eat shoes to survive but without intervention he’ll repeat the same lovely pattern all over again. ascending him is also enabling.

half the game is you telling your pals to stop smashing their dicks with hammers

My Neutral Evil selfish motivations here were: I'm a rogue and this is something crazy to steal from your tormentor who no longer cares about material wealth. I promised my space wife we'd share the sunrise. Vampiric powers are gone from the tadpole but so are the weaknesses Sunrise means I die if we make it through this thing. I know the finale involves flight somehow which would put me far from most shade. I am also aware from the game that Karlach, Gale, Wyll, and Shadowheart can all meet unfortunate backstory related endings. So I saved every one I could but I have a controversies section on the Wiki.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dick Trauma posted:

You definitely don't need to restart the game, even if you made terrible leveling choices you can just pay Withers to respec characters. Level 3 is tough because some of your characters will not really have hit their stride yet. Gale probably does not have very exciting options because even though Wizards are ok, they get much better later on. That's ok though! I am not great at planning and often end up bulldozing through encounters without a lot of finesse, and you don't need to use a ton of environment tricks to get along in the game, although it is fun and can help. There are a few places that have tricks to help you, but nothing needs a Rube Goldberg machine like you describe.

In general:

Make sure you are using your consumables. If Gale is out of spells, you make sure he has a bow and he can shoot some enchanted arrows at people just fine. You probably have a number of different potions and poisons that you can and should apply regularly, you will get a ton, don't worry about saving them. Giving Lae'zel a potion of Speed so she can double her attacks can be a big difference, for instance.

Feel free to rest regularly between sections. There is nothing stopping you from resting after the redcaps, then again before the guardians, and then again before the Hag. It feels weird narratively, but it's totally fine and you might need to do heal and recover spells.

Especially in Act I you can just leave an area and come back later. There are a number of fairly disconnected places that you can gain experience in and come back when you have another level. The Teahouse is a harder fight and the swamp in general is kind of a pain in the rear end, so you can definitely check out other things and come back to it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I reverted to just after the Owlbear cave. I'm going to review everyone's skills/prepared spells, inventory to get a feel for what everyone has or should have on hand. Then I have to figure out customizing each hotbar so I don't have to keep checking everyone during a fight to see what they should be doing. It should be right in front of me so I can get a basic rotation going, like Shadowheart should bless everyone. Although I keep screwing that up somehow so that only one person gets blessed. I don't have a handle on spell targeting, spells that have multiple levels/casts (like Magic Missile.) I need to figure out the interface.

I'll try to do better with consumables. I've always been terrible with them, "saving" scrolls and potions and throwables basically forever so all they do is waste inventory space.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 26, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dick Trauma posted:

I reverted to just after the Owlbear cave. I'm going to review everyone's skills/prepared spells, inventory to get a feel for what everyone has or should have on hand. Then I have to figure out customizing each hotbar so I don't have to keep checking everyone during a fight to see what they should be doing. It should be right in front of me so I can get a basic rotation going, like Shadowheart should bless everyone. Although I keep screwing that up somehow so that only one person gets blessed. I don't have a handle on spell targeting, spells that have multiple levels/casts (like Magic Missile.) I need to figure out the interface.

I'll try to do better with consumables. I've always been terrible with them, "saving" scrolls and potions and throwables basically forever so all they do is waste inventory space.

If you want some guidance on organising your hotbar, here's how I do it:

Each class has slightly different abilities of course but generally I stick to that format of having the basic stuff on the left, class abilities in the middle on the left of the divider, and then spells ordered by level on the right of the divider. it'll start to break down towards the end of the game when you have too many abilities but this works well for early levels. By having everyone use the same order for this stuff it makes it much easier to focus on what's different between the characters because it's the stuff that changes when you switch.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a crazy hoard of scrolls because I feel like Gale might need them but I haven’t even used Gale yet and don’t know which ones I’d have him learn anyway

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Just do what I do which is have both useful and useless abilities scattered randomly across your toolbar and then accidentally delete them occasionally so you have no idea what was even there in the first place

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just had the first real bum note of my honour mode run. Was saving the gondians as per, did the iron throne, went back into the foundry, killed the last of the baneites and congratulated the gondians on escaping. The little fuckers then for some reason batter down the front door of the foundry and get butchered by the patrolling steel watcher while I'm not looking. Making me inadvertently side with Wulbren loving Bongle. The doors in there also bugged out by seeming to exist for me but not the watchers. Very annoying.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what I started doing after my first playthrough, in which I learned the gist of the game. Lucked out with my level 8 bard then, when I learned to take a couple of levels of fighter. Now I’m trying a sorcerer durge run with my split brown/grey hair Jesus looking Tav, who’s called The Holy poo poo. More careful with reading what things do, equipment combos, hotbar etc - and so many fights get so much easier when you get a feel for troop placement and the effects of enemy spells etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dick Trauma posted:

Look I wasn't sure how hard the final battle would be I'm not a hoarder you are

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Better save them, never know what you'll need for the epilogue.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I hoard consumables because it simply doesn't occur to me to use them. I've taken to giving more and more scrolls to my party members because with the AI control mod I'm using, at least they'll probably use them! Some more likely than others though. I had AI Shadowheart holding some defensive buff scrolls for ages and she never touched them. But it's possible I just didn't give her a fight where they'd be useful? They were Protection from Good and Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Do I need to do the murder tribunal before I go kill Orin? I've got as far as the baal temple waypoint to get Dribbles, and was planning to go knock?

Go for it. No need to do the tribunal first or at all.