Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oh yes, I need another version of that Scorponok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of the spirit of Armada was just in making bizarre nutso decisions for how characters transform as just part of every individual figure's novelty. Which it sure is interesting even if the final humanoid figure itself lacks poseability. Often they even have crazy weird action figures that maybe make up for the lack, or maybe they don't, but they add to the novelty.

Which maybe that's dumb, but it was also a fresh breath from the style of engineering that dominated Beast Wars where most figures got balljoints for everything and all their kibble got put on little arms that swivel out of the way in a weird dangly mess. Armada figures were also a lot sturdier than Beast Wars engineering.

Energon was a bit of a step back from the zaniness of Armada, Cybertron was a bit of a step forward.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I dunno if anyone owned it but I have the urge to look for the old RID SkidZ/Indy Heat, specifically the Japanese release. Those colors are just real fun.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1783825307126108655?s=46

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok, those look really good! I was iffy on OP, but I like those.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

I was iffy on OP, but I like those.

:chloe:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Neato! I have Missing Link Optimus (toy deco) in my pile of loot.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Missing Link Prime is good, doesn't feel like cheap lightweight plastic, nice poseability. The Matrix chamber pops out so you can put some Diaclone drivers in there if you want. Toy deco, this thing is making my inner 4-year-old very happy.

Those Missing Link minibots look like they transform similarly to some third party ones I sent Dr. What for Secret Santa years back. Those were neat! (I kept the not-Hubcap back from that set for myself, still on display at my house in the living room in a sassy pose the original could never hope to hold.) Hopefully they use heavy plastic on those two so they don't feel quite as fragile.

TL;DR: Bumble and Cliff look good as what they are intended to be!

Pulse also shipped Lunar Rover Prime and it's basically a Voyager/Leader class that shares some similarity with the classic Optimus Prime Transformation (chest forward, bent backwards in the hips and shoulders) but is unique enough to be worth checking out. His eyes are blue and there is no light piping, though, so they're in shadow most of the time. It's not bad, but striking enough to mention.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
One thing I've noticed about Lunar Rover Prime is that it seems to be the premiere of a new/refined strategy for dealing with the intractable Optimus Prime diaper problem. It looks pretty good in motion and I hope that this or a similar strategy is applied for SS86 Optimus.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Some new pics of MP(G)-60/09

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They Tried

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I don't dislike it really. I just would have taken a commander class over the MP treatment. The Armada Prime we got in Legacy was great and I feel like it's a spiritual successor to power master.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It's really disappointing that I don't have leader Sandstorm yet. Someone should fix this error.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MIssing Link Bumblebee looks cool, but man he's going to be tiny. I know this kind of misses the point of Missing Link, but I wish they'd articulated the Pretender Bumblebee mold.

What on earth is going on with the head in profile in the bottom left square? The faceplate and brow are almost bumping into each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
probably the anime version

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

What should they have done differently, from what you can see? I don't have the attachment to the character many people do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

he just looks kind of lumpen and awkward. Which is in many ways both true to the character design of Super Ginrai and also a direct consequence of the principles of his transformation scheme.

To some degree this is because Super Ginrai is deliberately incomplete without Godbomber. But we haven't seen MP Godbomber yet and can't judge if it will improve any of those issues.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My biggest question is if it's possible to slide one of the other MP Optimi into the trailer body. I assume no, but it would be really cool if you could use the trailer with a better MP Optimus, even if it didn't latch in securely.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Found this at the local Toys R Us.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The MSJ posted:

Found this at the local Toys R Us.

Thank you for posting this. I got the F and G branded as "Alpha Bots" a couple of years back, but couldn't find the E to finish the combiner. Now to see if any of these Malaysian stores will ship to the UK...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Finally got the new Tigerhawk, and holy crap getting their chest together in beast mode was a pain in the rear end. Between that, the odd proportions, and their groin sections getting big stress marks where they pegged into their neck fluff, I honestly would have been happy with the one from 25 years ago but with wrist swivels added to ditch the gorilla arms. I really loved the original Tigerhawk, they'd still be in my regular rotation if I hadn't busted one of the wing missile triggers.

New one still looks the business in bot mode, at least. Sucker's got some loving wingspan.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Knormal posted:

My biggest question is if it's possible to slide one of the other MP Optimi into the trailer body. I assume no, but it would be really cool if you could use the trailer with a better MP Optimus, even if it didn't latch in securely.

Impossible. Not only would the other MP Primes not have the engineering to fit into the cavity, MP Ginrai is clearly smaller than them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
missing link optimus owns so much

feels really great, is surprisingly hefty for its size, and all the main joints are nice and ratchety

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i just want a Matrix of Leadership toy I can put on a chain. why is this so hard to find where it looks good and isn't insanely priced? i do not need a 24k gold pendant!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Every so often I Google what the heck is up with Hoist's towing mechanism and what purpose the wings serve, and I always come up empty.

What is the deal with Hoist's towing mechanism, and where can I find more info on it? Was the modification localized mainly to Japan, maybe? I know there's a bit that goes under one axle (usually the front) of the car to be towed, but the part that turns into his little wings? What's up with that? Why aren't there more of those worldwide? You never see them, or at least I don't.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It looks like the Diaclone name actually provides a bit more insight: No. 8 4WD Wrecker Type. A wrecker is similar to, but distinct from a traditional tow truck:

quote:

People often use the names tow truck and wrecker interchangeably. However, there is a difference between the two, and it’s important to know what you’re requesting when you call a towing company for help.

What is a wrecker? A wrecker is a type of tow truck with a large boom and additional cable winch, which allows it to recover vehicles from various locations. For example, a wrecker may be used to flip a car or truck that has rolled over, pull a vehicle from a precarious position off the road, or separate multiple vehicles which have become squashed together.

Wreckers are typically used when recovery is needed rather than just a straightforward tow. They are also used when heavy-duty towing is required in order to tow big vehicles like a semi, trailers, buses, or any commercial vehicle.

So Hoist's mechanism is supposed to be something more like this:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh yeah, I've seen those. The weird back thing lifts up the car's front wheels for better towing.

It makes sense as a way of being able to show a car getting towed if you don't think you can reliably do a big hook lifting up the car, although maybe a worse fit for the name "hoist".

The big iconic wings also confuse things, because I don't think those have any purpose beyond being iconic wings. I don't think any of the takes even really tried being real-world accurate. Earthrise had the excuse that they wanted to turn his thing into a ramp that could combine with that line's A.I.R. Lock System gimmick, but Masterpiece seems to have just gone off to do its own thing.

Shoutout to ROTF Hoist, who to me looks like the most archetypical tow truck possible.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I suspect the wings are just there as robot mode wings, and they could be made to look not too conspicuous as greeble in the altmode

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What’s the deal with Origin Wheeljack’s shield? How do I take it apart without breaking this clear plastic?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's just like the Earthrise roads and ramps but a little more stiff, you just have to have a little courage and be careful with it when pulling it apart at the joint. If you look really closely at the joints, there's kind of a little tiny channel for the direction that it wants to pull apart, so that may help a bit. Also I think it's probably better if you grip from nearer the joint so you don't flex the whole piece?

Or you can leave it straight and join up with like Airwave and Ironworks for a lil' road network.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's just like the Earthrise roads and ramps but a little more stiff, you just have to have a little energon and a lot of luck courage and be careful with it when pulling it apart at the joint.

:thejoke:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's just like the Earthrise roads and ramps but a little more stiff, you just have to have a little courage and be careful with it when pulling it apart at the joint. If you look really closely at the joints, there's kind of a little tiny channel for the direction that it wants to pull apart, so that may help a bit. Also I think it's probably better if you grip from nearer the joint so you don't flex the whole piece?

Or you can leave it straight and join up with like Airwave and Ironworks for a lil' road network.

Thanks! I took a good look in the light to see what you meant, and they do just slide out. It’s really not immediately obvious.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize the Concept Sunstreaker wave had a Gnaw in it!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Is there a Gnaw ? This is pertinent information

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh yeah, I've seen those. The weird back thing lifts up the car's front wheels for better towing.

It makes sense as a way of being able to show a car getting towed if you don't think you can reliably do a big hook lifting up the car, although maybe a worse fit for the name "hoist".

The big iconic wings also confuse things, because I don't think those have any purpose beyond being iconic wings. I don't think any of the takes even really tried being real-world accurate. Earthrise had the excuse that they wanted to turn his thing into a ramp that could combine with that line's A.I.R. Lock System gimmick, but Masterpiece seems to have just gone off to do its own thing.

Shoutout to ROTF Hoist, who to me looks like the most archetypical tow truck possible.

Always liked Hoist/Trailbreaker design.

There's something so right about it.

It's probably one of the best examples of a vehicle to robot mode you can do.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good Listener posted:

Is there a Gnaw ? This is pertinent information

There is! Now I have two sizes of Gnaw.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Phy posted:

There is! Now I have two sizes of Gnaw.

Is it a refresh of the studio series or such?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah it's a straight repack. It's still Studio Series #86-whatever

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Gotcha haha I just had to be on the look out for more Sharkticons for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've a friend like that. Would army build Sharkticons and Prime Vehicons. Has a ridiculously huge collection of both. It's fun at conventions where he brings a bag of mooks and you can pose your latest favourite fighting off a horde of them.