Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't love this set by any stretch but it does really make me want to check out the pre2000s Top 100 list WADs, at least play a couple levels of each to see what they're like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

In Training posted:

I don't love this set by any stretch but it does really make me want to check out the pre2000s Top 100 list WADs, at least play a couple levels of each to see what they're like.

I’ve been doing that off and on and it’s been interesting seeing Doom mapping come into form. A lot of misses just for technical or balancing reasons though. I find it helpful to look at onemandoom for each of them; compatibility problems are generally noted, and so are issues with pistol starting.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

In Training posted:

I was burning through this before I got on my Slaughter wad kick.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/109654-%E2%AC%86%EF%B8%8F-doomworld-community-top-wads-of-all-time-resurrected/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

I’ve been doing that off and on and it’s been interesting seeing Doom mapping come into form. A lot of misses just for technical or balancing reasons though. I find it helpful to look at onemandoom for each of them; compatibility problems are generally noted, and so are issues with pistol starting.

Cool, I think the most striking problem with TTP is that about 70% of a given map is hitscan and there have been multiple levels with 0 no -secret armor. Wow! You get to make like to mistakes with a chaingunner for the entire map as a result, and I have to do so much corner peaking + door combat to compensate.

That said you were right about MAP06, especially that red key room, very rad level design.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I'm so happy I found this thread. I fell into the Doomhole again a couple months ago, and I'm just excited to have other people to talk about it with.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rack posted:

I'm so happy I found this thread. I fell into the Doomhole again a couple months ago, and I'm just excited to have other people to talk about it with.

Hell yeah, it's a great thread for Doomin'.

@In Training: Don't forget you can "stack" chaingunners, if they're behind each other use them as ablative armor against each others attacks. Pretty helpful if they catch you out in the open. And yeah, the general criticism of TTP that it's hitscan, boxy, and puzzles is true, it just all pays off in that one map.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I have a mod question: Anybody know about "Real Guns Advanced" and how to get it to work on GZDoom? The ModDB for it is kind of a mess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

I have a mod question: Anybody know about "Real Guns Advanced" and how to get it to work on GZDoom? The ModDB for it is kind of a mess.

the only advice i can give from a quick google is to try zandronum, not gzdoom. they're close but not exactly the same, and the discussion i'm seeing is mainly for zandronum

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Arivia posted:

the only advice i can give from a quick google is to try zandronum, not gzdoom. they're close but not exactly the same, and the discussion i'm seeing is mainly for zandronum

Yeah, I thought that was the case. Downloaded Zandronum and found a copy of the mod as a backup just for that possibility.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr. Sharps posted:

the music is pure cyriak it’s perfect

I'm just going to chime in here, from a few months ago, and say that, yes, the Going Down music IS weird and odd and off-putting and seems to celebrate dissonance more often than phases of the moon, but I remember checking out the opening of /w Bob and David on Netflix, also done 100% by Cyriak, and I guess I kind of get it now. I seriously didn't even realize the connection and still felt, at the time, "man, this reminds me of Going Down" and was extremely surprised to learn that my feelings were accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykPXNhqQM8E

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've started a Doom 30th anniversary megawad, 30 Years with Doom and it's been pretty good so far. Rather chunky maps that have been well designed with bits and pieces of architecture from the original maps.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
having a blast with brutal wolf3d

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
It's taken a couple weeks, but I've finally finished sorting my wads and loading them into DoomLauncher. There's still a lot of clean-up left to do, but at least I can move on from file sorting and arranging to Actually Playing Doom.

Picking one at random, I went through Dark Covenant. Surprisingly well put together, some of the levels are a little too long, but enjoyable and beatable.

edit - Lol, I found another couple wad folders I missed.

Rack fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 12, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I played a pair of (GZ)Doom maps yesterday, stuff I saw on twitter, from all possible places...

https://www.moddb.com/mods/throne-of-the-crimson-queen/downloads/throne-of-the-crimson-queen-v10
https://www.moddb.com/mods/wrath-of-the-tyrant

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

after many long months, I have finally reached the *beta* stage of my current project. Please enjoy this Ice Cold Six-Pack!

This is a Boom-compatible episode of Doom II that includes six maps of high intensity frozen spelunking, temple terrorizing & cave madness. I hope you enjoy!!

What this set includes:
6 levels, with custom music and textures. The music is from a variety of places, including one original composition made just for this WAD! The textures are from the Ancient Aliens texture pack.
The music does currently include some MP3 selections, which will probably change before I'm done. I love how they sound but I know some people don't really like messing with stuff outside of MIDIs...
Some custom art, some by me (the ugly stuff) and a new status bar courtesy of The Kins

The fancy stuff basically only currently works with prBoom/DSDA. It will run and play just fine in GZDoom and probbaly Eternity, but the music will be messed up maybe and I have yet to put together the proper MAPINFO lumps for them. Coming soon!

I'd love to get as much feedback as possible as I revisit some zones for visual & combat balancing passes, and work on the proper MAPINFO files for a broad amount of source port compatibility. There will also be proper intermission text + lore in the final release. For now...enjoy this journey into an icy hell!!

>>>DOWNLOAD HERE<<<

Screenshots

Edit: I had to hotfix a broken encounter in MAP03. The link is updated, please redownload if you grabbed it earlier and haven't played it yet!

In Training fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 17, 2024

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Badass

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Duality is a very nice 5 level wad, high level of detail, including Doomcute, custom palette

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/145127-duality-mbf21-5-maps-mini-wad/

Difficulty is a bit uneven, map 2 is harder than map 3 and map 4, and map 5 is pretty hard, with barely ANY health to pick up. Doing the last five fights with 4hp wasn't fun.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 17, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone want to play a one room slaughter/combat puzzle map?

It's super basic, if this were part of a larger megawad, it'd probably be map01 or 02, just to get your feet wet. The point is to put you off balance and constantly under pressure until you fight your way clear. It's a single room with fairly basic geometry, and the gimmick is very straight forward. If you're intimidated by large slaughter maps that take hours to clear, don't worry, this is a snappy map with a par time of 90 seconds, so while there is some challenge, the frustration level should be kept to a minimum. Resources are somewhat generous, but death can come very quickly. This map can theoretically be completed pacifist, but you'd need insane RNG luck and lots of patience. This will run in any MBF21 compatible source port, such as the latest versions of PRBoom+, DSDADoom, or GZDoom.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FSqVNSe17KkumXM1iY4-3HdJRntV-edS/view?usp=sharing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It's super basic, if this were part of a larger megawad, it'd probably be map01 or 02, just to get your feet wet. The point is to put you off balance and constantly under pressure until you fight your way clear. It's a single room with fairly basic geometry, and the gimmick is very straight forward. If you're intimidated by large slaughter maps that take hours to clear, don't worry, this is a snappy map with a par time of 90 seconds, so while there is some challenge, the frustration level should be kept to a minimum. Resources are somewhat generous, but death can come very quickly. This map can theoretically be completed pacifist, but you'd need insane RNG luck and lots of patience. This will run in any MBF21 compatible source port, such as the latest versions of PRBoom+, DSDADoom, or GZDoom.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FSqVNSe17KkumXM1iY4-3HdJRntV-edS/view?usp=sharing

I will give this a whirl soon, right now I'm playing through Heretic for the first time and it's been fun! The enemy roster seems pretty limited but Im only about halfway through what I understand to be the original release (3 episodes).

The weapons are cool and the level design in the first episode was pretty sick, and the inventory is a fun spin on Doom powerups. I like it! I plan to play all 5 episodes available in this expansion version

koren
Sep 7, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Here's an FDA.

Infight generation was kind of awkward given the height of the cyber platform relative to the HKs. Lots of awkward splash too but I suppose that's why you raised the slime bar to the level you did. When I saw the first keen I realised I would have to kill all the HKs myself to ensure I got 100% kills reliably. Works quite well all in all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

koren posted:

Here's an FDA.

Infight generation was kind of awkward given the height of the cyber platform relative to the HKs. Lots of awkward splash too but I suppose that's why you raised the slime bar to the level you did. When I saw the first keen I realised I would have to kill all the HKs myself to ensure I got 100% kills reliably. Works quite well all in all.

Judging by your movement, that looked like your first try. Nice job! Also, what are you calling the "slime bar"? The elevated nukage under the hellknight platform? Yeah, that's fake. Take a look in the editor to see what the map is really shaped like. Mostly I just created the most basic slaughter pit imaginable and dressed it up to look like something more than it was.