Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

there was a period of a whole lot of sort of similar sounding female-fronted doomy/occult rock/Sabbath clone bands popping up around 2010. the only ones I still really listen to are Blood Ceremony, Electric Citizen, and Purson but there are legit so many.

Blues pills, Lucifer, The Well, Devil Electric all fit that bill pretty well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Laserface posted:

my buddies Robot God released a new album today, Portal Within. kinda fits the 'no harsh vocals' chat at the moment too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O79KipvcjhM

physical/digital etc on their bandcamp.

Nice. I come to the this thread for music to help me concentrate at work and this fits the bill.

Repeating that back to myself that sounds like an insult, but it couldn't be any worse than saying you get high while listening to this stuff.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

my bony fealty posted:

there was a period of a whole lot of sort of similar sounding female-fronted doomy/occult rock/Sabbath clone bands popping up around 2010. the only ones I still really listen to are Blood Ceremony, Electric Citizen, and Purson but there are legit so many.

Jex Thoth was a personal favorite of mine, specifically their second album. It has such a sleepy but heavy sound, I don't know of a whole lot like it. Jess and the Ancient Ones is great, especially their first album and EP... Blood Ceremony and Purson are both great, The Devil's Blood is another really good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvgtiVE9v-A

Additionally, and probably similarly, Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard's Jessica Ball released an album with her new band Eye today. Sounds like if MWWB released a sleepy alternative album. They call it 'gothic electro-doom' and I guess it fits.

https://eye-uk.bandcamp.com/album/dark-light

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 26, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

oh yeah Jex Thoth rips I listen to them a lot still too. only found out years later that she was married to Jackson Toth from Wooden Wand who was also part of the group. he has some neat stuff.

Witch Mountain is another one my faves, I'm not as keen on their newer singer as the old one but all their stuff is good. Mobile of Angels is a 10/10 album.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Fart of Presto posted:

drat, I just found out that Acid King plays here in Copenhagen on May 8th.

I got to know this band through this thread, and it's still one of my favorites in this genre, so I'm pretty stoked.

I listen to every band/track being posted here, and a lot of them are not really me (growling/screaming just doesn't do it for me), but I was wondering if there were any other bands like Acid King that are worth looking into, like newer bands and/or less known outside their local area, but with the same heavy, slow riffs, and if vocals are present, the same style where it's a clear singing voice?

I don't know if this fits what you're looking for but I'd definitely recommend checking out True Widow anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82qoobOs1go

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This is cool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Nice. I come to the this thread for music to help me concentrate at work and this fits the bill.

Repeating that back to myself that sounds like an insult, but it couldn't be any worse than saying you get high while listening to this stuff.

My office mate and I listen to tons of this kind of stuff while we work. I'd say it's high praise, not an insult.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its pretty cool that someone can drop a bandname in here and 5-6 people will reply with a handful of bands to check out that are similar, even within the narrow scope of S/D/S

This thread (and other threads on SA over the years) has been one of the best ways I have ever found for discovering new music :)

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

its pretty cool that someone can drop a bandname in here and 5-6 people will reply with a handful of bands to check out that are similar, even within the narrow scope of S/D/S

This thread (and other threads on SA over the years) has been one of the best ways I have ever found for discovering new music :)

I 100% agree.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s definitely good for that, especially with smaller bands.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Laserface posted:

my buddies Robot God released a new album today, Portal Within. kinda fits the 'no harsh vocals' chat at the moment too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O79KipvcjhM

physical/digital etc on their bandcamp.

Oh poo poo, I remember when you mentioned them last time. They're awesome. Stoked for the new album!

I love when this thread moves, y'all never miss.

Gonna see Primitive Man for the thousandth time on Friday and they're opening for Amenra! I haven't been to a show since Boris/Melvin's in October, I'm so stoked.

Edit: ANOTHER THING IM STOKED about : I finished sewing my wife's battle vest and it looks fuckin great. pls ignore my little baguette arm (Is there a thread for battlevests???)

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 27, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

those are sick

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Good vests

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Like the Charlie Brown DOOM patch

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Like the Charlie Brown MF DOOM patch

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey I used all caps when I spelled the man name, the MF is to be understood

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Fuckin badass

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Like the Charlie Brown DOOM patch

It's a Doom/MF Doom patch. Some guy remixed their songs together and then gave away patches based on the song. It's like... 2 patches in 1! That's a steal!

https://youtu.be/s-qnS8mDp6I?si=7mvDDJJUoP40_OiK

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Eat The Rich posted:

Oh poo poo, I remember when you mentioned them last time. They're awesome. Stoked for the new album!

Gonna see Primitive Man for the thousandth time on Friday and they're opening for Amenra! I haven't been to a show since Boris/Melvin's in October, I'm so stoked.

Edit: ANOTHER THING IM STOKED about : I finished sewing my wife's battle vest and it looks fuckin great. pls ignore my little baguette arm (Is there a thread for battlevests???)

Nice dude

Hail Satan Worship Doom

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hey I used all caps when I spelled the man name, the MF is to be understood

My bad, it was only after your post that I noticed it :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
There should be a thread for battlevests. I don't have one and I want one. Need to learn how to sew though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Another band for the 'slow riffs and female vox' pile

Kitchen Witch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTZTOr75L4

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most Seattle thing I've ever seen was a guy in battle flannel.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I’ve seen a battleflannel in Maine before as well. They’re neat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you're wolverine or an actual lumberjack a battle flannel makes perfect sense

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

No joke, I got mugged by a guy in Venice Beach who was wearing a white battle button-up with the sleeves torn off. He told me to give my vest to his buddy or whatever. Threw it on the ground. Called me a fake punk and I was like dude, these are metal patches. Only wanted my vest, let me empty the vest pockets. It was so weird.

I walked back over two minutes later with my pals and grabbed my vest. Fuckin dweeb and the biggest poser in the galaxy.

Edit: My wife got a pic and chased after him while I went to get my vest back. I'm still so confused by it all. Oh btw he pulled a knife on me.

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 28, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I like the idea of a battle vest but I have to keep reminding myself it's way too late in life for me to try that. I put a High on Fire patch on my big puffy down vest to cover the Abercrombie and Fitch patch, but I'd be such a poser wearing an actual battle vest anywhere but a metal show.

However I've never heard of a battle flannel, and I'm an every single day flannel dude when the weather is right. I might need to look into this.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Eat The Rich posted:

:krad:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

There should be a thread for battlevests. I don't have one and I want one. Need to learn how to sew though.

You can find plenty of people on Angie to do sewing for you.

I was lucky enough to work with women who sewed, so I now have two jean jackets filled with patches from bands, sports, cartoons, etc.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Could I convert my pink Gant windbreaker into a battle vest? I'm more a chinos guy than a denim guy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a 3 piece Biker-style Motorhead (motorhead/snaggletooth/england stack) back patch on my denim jacket. kinda works for any occasion. weddings, funerals, school reunions..

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

These are great!

Haha! This is awesome!

Laserface posted:

I have a 3 piece Biker-style Motorhead (motorhead/snaggletooth/england stack) back patch on my denim jacket. kinda works for any occasion. weddings, funerals, school reunions..

I only have the Motorhead snaggletooth back patch on my denim jacket, so you're obviously a step or two above me in rank. :v:

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 28, 2024

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Laserface posted:

Another band for the 'slow riffs and female vox' pile

Kitchen Witch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTZTOr75L4

They are fantastic. Fun fact: I illustrated that logo

I did their previous album cover (sorry for blurry photo)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Zoben posted:

Awesome work!

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

CornHolio posted:

It's way easy. Safety pin everything in place then just get a nice strong thread, thread the needle so it's doubled up then knot em together. Then you just go in from the back behind a part of the patch and then back through the vest where there's no patch. Repeat til it doesn't fall off. It's super simple. A bit time consuming so make sure you've got a show or live video to watch.

I should start a battle vest thread. Where would it even go tho, creative conventions? Here in the music subforum?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Use fabric glue to hold your patches in place while you sew them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zoben posted:

Your art is so so good

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a ton of patches even though I hardly wear any, I just like em. I’ve had a bag of them since I was a teenager. During Covid I made a couple battle vests just to kill time, it worked great for that. Podcasts and sewing are a wonderful distraction. I made such insanely crazy little perfect stitches. If I made another I’d try the long dental floss punk stitches.

Eat The Rich posted:

No joke, I got mugged by a guy in Venice Beach who was wearing a white battle button-up with the sleeves torn off.

Sorry that happened, that sucks.

I always thought of white shirts like that as a Southern California thing, at least in the 80s. The Suicidal Tendencies and Welcome To Venice covers led me to make multiple lovely shirts back then.

Fun little related article: https://www.vice.com/en/article/rjjwxr/this-suicidal-tendencies-shirt-costs-3000

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
gently caress yeah Kitchen witch! Love those guys.

Since last I posted here I’ve seen Elder twice. Both times the levels were hosed, both times the frontman was a little douche about it. Do not recommend seeing them unless you like a supposedly professional band making lots of excuses and the show sounding like rear end. It’s too bad. I really don’t mind their new direction at all, and was hoping it would sound good live. Dead Roots is an all-timer, but I’m not one of those purists that hates the new stuff.

Also, have a strange band I discovered today. Hard to describe. Something between Every Time I Die and progressive stoner, very technical, a little self-indulgent and strange, but I like ‘em. Another vague touchstone would be like Boss Keloid, with not quite as good vocals and a darker overall tone.

https://youtu.be/7Uzp_8EyQRw?si=GPAFEaDEXReIt_2r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-GClrSOGo