Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Grag the thunfler
Apr 14, 2024

biosphere bonanza has some great alliteration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Biosphere bonanza benefits bullish billionaires, but broke bitches beset by bdelloid-borne bloody bowel blight

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

Biosphere bonanza benefits bullish billionaires, but broke bitches beset by bdelloid-borne bloody bowel blight

bazinga

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hubbert posted:

bdazinga

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Just burn it down and start over

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

why was there a terran landing sound at 2:45

this is forbidden knowledge, but games use the same stock sounds as all other media when companies don't have giant sound design studios. it's always funny watching a show and suddenly hearing the door or lift sound from doom and immediately twitching because you played 10+ years of deathmatch

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I've noticed video game effects showing up on the newer POS systems. It was surprising the first couple times I leveled up when buying groceries.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Truga posted:

hearing the door or lift sound from doom and immediately twitching because you played 10+ years of deathmatch

ok doomer

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just realized that the Terran academy noise being the Wilhelm scream is probably supposed to indicate bad things are happening in that school.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of doom,

quote:

We took a statistical approach across two different databases. We created our own "mortality of states" dataset (Moros, named after the Greek God of Doom) which contains 324 states over 3,000 years (from 2000BC to AD1800). This was compiled from numerous other databases, an encyclopaedia on empires, and multiple other sources. We also drew on the Sehat databank, the world's largest online depository of historical information curated by archaeologists and historians, which had 291 polities.

from https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240424-do-societies-civilisations-grow-old-frail-and-vulnerable-to-collapse
Why societies grow more fragile and vulnerable to collapse as time passes

quote:

Across both databases, the risk of termination rose over the first two centuries and then plateaued at a high level thereafter. Our findings echo another recent analysis of over 168 historical crisis events. The average duration of polities in their crisis database was approximately 201 years.

quote:

Our findings are supported by promising studies on "critical slowing down". Before a complex system undergoes a large-scale shift in structure, or a "tipping point", it often begins to recover more slowly from disturbances. The ageing human body is similar: injuries can take a longer toll when you're older.

quote:

There are numerous caveats to be aware of. First, state terminations take many shapes. They could be simply a shift in ruling elites, such as through a warlord coup. Or they could be a societal collapse involving the enduring loss of government, writing, monumental structures, and population decline, as occurred in Mycenaean Greece. Even within those that did undergo a full-blown collapse, many communities survived and even prospered. These terminations are not necessarily bad things. Many pre-modern states were grossly unequal and predatory. By one calculation, the late western Roman Empire was three-quarters of the way towards the maximum level of wealth inequality that is theoretically possible (with one individual holding all the surplus wealth).

quote:

Is our modern world ageing?
Can ageing patterns across pre-modern states have any relevance for the present day? We think they could. Whether the entire world-system of today is prey to the same patterns we identified is unclear. However, the world is hardly immune to increasing inequality, environmental degradation, and elite competition – all factors which have been proposed as precursors to collapse earlier in human history.

quote:

Unlike the states we studied, the world is now hyperconnected and globalised – but this should not be a cause for comfort. While a single state growing fragile and terminating will usually be inconsequential for the wider world, the instability of a superpower, such as the US, could trigger a domino effect across borders.

quote:

Most states of today are markedly different to the empires of centuries past. Industrialised production, enormous technological abilities, as well as professional bureaucracies and police forces will all likely create more stable, resilient states.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Most states of today are markedly different to the empires of centuries past. Industrialised production, enormous technological abilities, as well as professional bureaucracies and police forces will all likely create more stable, resilient states

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I know right? Nothing says "more resilient" like a giant complex bureaucracy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Microplastics posted:

drat this steel keeps getting stronger as i increase the hardness and there's no downside whatsoever!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

or a huge portion of your population permanently holding the state hostage because they’re the only ones permitted to use violence

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Microplastics posted:

Rome didn’t have spreadsheets

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
brb, resiliantly putting more sheep on the commons, for resilience against wool shortages

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
drat the commons in CHOCK FULL of sheep right now. So resiliant :swoon:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

mags posted:

Rome didn’t have spreadsheets

They er ...they did... :ohdear:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
columns alone do not a spreadsheet make

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

hubris.height posted:

columns alone do not a spreadsheet make

But they had rows of columns!! :ohdear: :ohdear:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Truga posted:

this is forbidden knowledge, but games use the same stock sounds as all other media when companies don't have giant sound design studios. it's always funny watching a show and suddenly hearing the door or lift sound from doom and immediately twitching because you played 10+ years of deathmatch

that door/cabinet creak...the metal AND the wood versions

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

V from V For Vendetta, but as our favourite little guy, if you'll please.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

nomad2020 posted:

I've noticed video game effects showing up on the newer POS systems. It was surprising the first couple times I leveled up when buying groceries.

*scans a multipack sale item*

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

fanfic insert posted:

Just burn it down and start over

Working on it!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
NATO is on the case https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01052-1?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

quote:

NATO is concerned that climate change has significant impacts on security. Melting sea ice creates more routes for naval shipping in the Arctic, for example, and NATO and non-NATO countries are increasingly operating in the region.

NATO is also interested in how temperature changes could affect the security of its member and non-member countries as well as of military installations around the world. In a 2024 review paper in the Texas National Security Review, CMRE researchers — along with colleagues from the University of St Andrews, UK, the University of L’Aquila, Italy, and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich — found that submarines could become more difficult to detect using sonar in the North Atlantic Ocean as water temperature rises.

In another study, presented at last week’s conference of the European Geosciences Union in Vienna, CMRE researchers working with scientists at the universities of Princeton in New Jersey and Central Florida in Orlando assessed how extreme weather might affect 91 NATO military bases and installations. The researchers found that multiple bases and installations are likely to become susceptible to climate change as emissions continue to rise.

Last year, one of NATO’s research vessels moored vertical lines holding oceanographic and acoustic recorders in the Arctic Ocean. The intention was to monitor temperature, salinity and ambient noise throughout the water column. Other research projects are looking at the use of new materials for military clothing in warmer climates, says Wells.

In 2022, NATO published the first of a series called Climate change and Security Impact Assessment. It is also developing a methodology for mapping greenhouse-gas emissions from NATO-member military activities and installations.

here's the one assessment thingy https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/2023/7/pdf/230710-NATO-GHG-Methodology.pdf

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

kater posted:

I just realized that the Terran academy noise being the Wilhelm scream is probably supposed to indicate bad things are happening in that school.

It's actually the Howie scream, an easy mistake to make.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

the US military has been warning for over a decade that unchecked global warming will lead to a significant degradation of security worldwide as well as damage to the US military’s ability to defend the nation and project force around the world but also vroom vroom cars number go up democraps lying to make me eat bugs

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

like half of the us militaries active poo poo (with people, not just the jet and boat spending) has been policing the collapse in the sahel for nearly a decade now

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Apr 27, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

the US military has been warning for over a decade that unchecked global warming will lead to a significant degradation of security worldwide as well as damage to the US military’s ability to defend the nation and project force around the world but also vroom vroom cars number go up democraps lying to make me eat bugs

and the us military is a larger emitter of ghgs than any country.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I know the whole "Ocean Anomaly" thing was debunked here
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2024/04/18/eclipse-waves-anomaly-cern-fact-check/73360468007/

but the model keeps having the same error repeatedly and It made me curious.

What would the AMOC finally collapsing look like in terms of surface conditions? It's not like all water movement would stop and the current isn't fading out of existence like an 80s movie or anything. It will just flip around and flow differently because it's overall force has been reduced enough to cause an abrupt movement.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It hasn't been debunked at all
once stupid science nerd said "that can't be right it must be some fault censors all over the ocean" and everyone was like "oh yeah that makes sense"

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

kater posted:

going to forage through the apocalypse on goddamn mother loving England
poomatoes grow wild on the beaches now

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Truga posted:

I hear Doom noises… a LOT in media.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Car Hater posted:

AAAAAHHHHHHH!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

loving AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

tuyop posted:

and the us military is a larger emitter of ghgs than any country.

But they pay so drat well (if you're making the death machines)

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Car Hater posted:

loving AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Come now, it’s not that bad yet.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

But they had rows of columns!! :ohdear: :ohdear:

Not only were their rows of columns renowned, they were ionic! :haw:

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It hasn't been debunked at all
once stupid science nerd said "that can't be right it must be some fault censors all over the ocean" and everyone was like "oh yeah that makes sense"

I mean, sure

personally I think it's the ancient automated alien drone carrier moving around to different parts of the ocean for some reason 3 times this month

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Lordshmee posted:

Come now, it’s not that bad yet.

I can't wait anymore! AAAAAHHHHHH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Truga posted:

the hydralisk roar sound shows up in way too many places