Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sounds a lot like when i went from cyberpunk to starfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No way did fallout 4 come out 9 years ago I say, as I frantically type that into google and turn into dust

Holy loving poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It still looks really good tbh, the updated lighting from the original Skyrim to FO4 was pretty impressive on PS4

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
In case anyone wants to try this, there's a guide to rolling back to the old version on Steam.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This will be the time for sure I’ll play through all of Fallout 4

Now that there's no launcher (by default), does the game sustain at least 40fps? You can't change graphical settings in the main menu.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Animal posted:

Now that there's no launcher (by default), does the game sustain at least 40fps? You can't change graphical settings in the main menu.

You can launch command line the launcher back and there's some stuff to addres the FPS

SteamDeck=0 %command%

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I find it amazing that they managed to gently caress up patching a 10 year old game that bad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I find it amazing that they managed to gently caress up patching a 10 year old game that bad.

Bethesda? Is this your first rodeo with them?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Patching a 10-year-old game is likely harder than patching a more recent one, because they’ll have to pull out all the old versions of tools, hope they saved all the configs correctly, and even if the people who remember that stuff are still around they won’t have as much fluency with the codebase after a decade.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

and yet I've seen lots of 10 year old games get patches without totally loving them up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If I didn't think I could execute on a graphical update no-one was asking for for this 10 year old game I would simply not have done it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

njsykora posted:

If I didn't think I could execute on a graphical update no-one was asking for for this 10 year old game I would simply not have done it.

"you aint a hasbeen if you never was," as the song goes... :hmmno:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

and yet I've seen lots of 10 year old games get patches without totally loving them up

I’m not saying that it’s impossible, but that it doesn’t get easier with age. “A patch” can be a pretty wide variety of things, and of course Bethesda is likely terrible at many of them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

njsykora posted:

FO4 sold extremely well right after the TV show. This patch I think is intended to push those sales even further and also to promote the creation club.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it should just be a show, associating the ip with bethesda games can only hurt it

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
The Steam Deck hath arrived. :toot:

I have smelled the exhaust fumes.

Time to get it setup before my trip on Sunday.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Legion Go just arrived and it is loving massive. I love it haha. Whether it's comfortable remains to be seen (but tonight I'll probably detach the joy cons and play with it on my little bed table like I did with my Deck, or use an Xbox controller)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Boar It posted:

The Steam Deck hath arrived. :toot:

Time to get it setup before my trip on Sunday.

Which Deck did you get? :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

a7m2 posted:

FO4 sold extremely well right after the TV show. This patch I think is intended to push those sales even further and also to promote the creation club.

The thing that I find amazing is that they didn't have some kind of actual FO release to go along with the show, which they knew was coming for years, and aren't planning on making one until something nuts like 3035.

Microsoft really needs to just let another company make the next FO game.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Which Deck did you get? :)

I got the OLED 1TB since it seems to be a little more travel focused with the removable inner case and matte screen. And since I definitely want this for travel I figured why not.

Played through Aperture desk job and it was great. The screen is fantastic. Super nice first impression of the device as a whole. It is somehow both bigger and smaller than I anticipated.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boar It posted:

Just know that Gabe is angry with you, but also know that you’ve done the right thing

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

wizard2 posted:

"you aint a hasbeen if you never was," as the song goes... :hmmno:

I appreciate this QotSA reference.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I ordered the TomToc pouch case someone recommended a few pages back. Been using it the last few days. I’m pretty happy with it. The slot for the Steam Deck is protected by hard material. It fits all the accessories I wanted with room for more.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Still figuring out the whole cruise ship thing, but winning a game of Balatro on a Steam Deck while looking out at the open ocean seems like a good use of my time.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I think you got it figured out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fun fact, a cruise ship is statistically the best place to commit a murder and get away with it. :atlus:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My dock is starting to get even more unreliable. Now when I dock it in handheld mode, it eventually works, but then when I launch a game it's still outputting that game in a tiny resolution.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vlaphor posted:

Still figuring out the whole cruise ship thing, but winning a game of Balatro on a Steam Deck while looking out at the open ocean seems like a good use of my time.

There were so many dock and steam jokes you left on the table :catstare:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
A... all hands on deck?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That too!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have a 64gb refurb on the way and know that i'm going to want to add more storage. Should I just get this 1tb ssd for $69.99? It's cheaper than buying a 1tb micro sd card, which was my first plan:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKXZBFNY?tag=georiot-us-default-20&th=1&ascsubtag=tomshardware-us-7353248563312922105-20&geniuslink=true

I also could go for a 512gb micro sd card for $40:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B09X7C2GBC/

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

frogbs posted:

I have a 64gb refurb on the way and know that i'm going to want to add more storage. Should I just get this 1tb ssd for $69.99? It's cheaper than buying a 1tb micro sd card, which was my first plan:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKXZBFNY?tag=georiot-us-default-20&th=1&ascsubtag=tomshardware-us-7353248563312922105-20&geniuslink=true

I also could go for a 512gb micro sd card for $40:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B09X7C2GBC/

Yes. Use proper tools for the SSD replacement.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
2TB SSD and 1TB MicroSD

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

What is the lil pouch for that is stuffed into the groove thing at the bottom of the case? I haven't tried but maybe you can stuff the charger or something into it?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Snacks

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah I have the charger in it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Annath posted:

2TB SSD and 1TB MicroSD

Even on my PC I only have 1TB SSD and it's been more than fine.

I currently have a 512gb and 400gb SD and have tons of space. I guess it depends on what you play but I'd suggest at least a 512gb SSD and an SD card of whatever size you want or think you need. I throw all emulation junk on the SD card and everything else on the SSD. OP will know best what would be sufficient but yeah, 64gb probably isn't going to cut it. I don't play more than a couple games at a time and don't need the entire PS1/PS2/Gamecube library etc available at all times.

Also make sure you get a good screwdriver (ifixit kit is what I had) for removing the screws and make sure it's the right size. It's kind of funny and sad seeing people damage their decks because they don't have decent tools or know how to remove a tight screw. OLED models had to switch to torx to save the dummies from themselves.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The SD screws are very lovely, tbf

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Suburban Dad posted:

Even on my PC I only have 1TB SSD and it's been more than fine.

I have a problem lol.

I've got about 20TB of storage, although only about 8TB is on SSDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Boar It posted:

What is the lil pouch for that is stuffed into the groove thing at the bottom of the case? I haven't tried but maybe you can stuff the charger or something into it?

The charger, which I desperately wish had folding prongs.

And good lord you do not need 2tb of SSD on this thing, 1tb and a 512gb SD card has been more than twice what I've ever needed which at one point that included Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring and since nobody could possibly play games differently than me I'm going to say that's 100% correct