Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Oh that's a fun run, congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

exquisite tea posted:

What are some people's "Top 5" speedruns in terms of the skill needed to pull it off and how entertaining it is to actually watch.

Tomatoan(g)us' Fallout Anthology is right there, and NESCardinality's RNG manipulated run of Dragon Quest.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

exquisite tea posted:

What are some people's "Top 5" speedruns in terms of the skill needed to pull it off and how entertaining it is to actually watch.

They're competitive, so just about any speedrun is going to be highly skillbased (as long as it isn't too RNG heavy). Fun to watch... honestly, in my experience speedruns are a lot more fun when you understand the tricks they're pulling off, so I'd pick a game you've played, and ideally watch a summoning salt video on it first so you know what you're seeing.

Or if you mean GDQ runs specifically, basically any of the Super Mario Relays are great.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

After 4(?) years of submitting Morrowind All Main Quests and getting rejected, I'm finally in!

Grats! I look forward to watching that one. Especially considering how... exploitable Morrowind can be.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

After 4(?) years of submitting Morrowind All Main Quests and getting rejected, I'm finally in!

Congratulations; I am looking forward to your run!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

marathon needs to end with mario rpg remake imo

Good, because it is.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Bremen posted:

Grats! I look forward to watching that one. Especially considering how... exploitable Morrowind can be.

Oh, there will be plenty of ridiculous glitches in this run!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hell yeah!! Congratulations. When I saw the list go out I made a comment about how excited I am to see this run just based on the game and time, so I'm doubly excited now to hear that you're the one running it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I love Mr Gimmick speedruns because the star grinding looks cool as hell. I can only assume it’s very hard to pull off.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Someone slipped and put my submission on the backup list instead of denying it, oh well

e. Can't believe I have to be the first one here to point out that a game called C.B.T. got accepted

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 26, 2024

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SeXReX posted:

e. Can't believe I have to be the first one here to point out that a game called C.B.T. got accepted

It is my fondest wish that this be given a late-night slot so the couch / runner can Make The Jokes

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Kestral posted:

It is my fondest wish that this be given a late-night slot so the couch / runner can Make The Jokes

alternately having all the comms and host playing the straight man and pretending to have no idea would be really good as well

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
no way in hell hosts or comms would be allowed to Make The Jokes, even late night

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it'd definitely be very hard to do it without getting punished

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

What’s so funny about cognitive behavioral therapy

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Power Up With Pride '24 schedule is up.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mycophobia posted:

incredible tetris the grand master player and generally very cool person switchpalacecorner just got a WR in tgm2 death mode, the first time a non-JP player has held a main mode world record in the series ever i believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg_a2zkucVE

spc is back and has improved his own wr in death mode again. its cool. chec k it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUzVj-1wIY

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Schedule is live:

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule/48

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I like the mix of classic runs and titles I've never heard of. This looks exciting!

And someone's running a Virtual Boy game. What a legend.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 9, 2024

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Speedrunning thread 3.6: Oh my god ball block

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
They made the joke in the best way possible, gods bless GDQ

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
finally, ball to ball speedrunning action

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Am losing it at wrong hole following up CBT

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

you can bet they'll be going balls to the wall

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Is it a regular run or one of those tutorials you're encouraged to follow step by step at home? My wife didn't care much for the Strider tutorial last time round but...

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
When are they gonna let a Crank That Soulja Boy tutorial speedrun in?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Why is cbt followed by golf funny

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ilmucche posted:

Why is cbt followed by golf funny

Googling "CBT" doesn't really help (at least it didn't for me), but apparently people read it as "Cock and Ball Torture"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Slickdrac posted:

Googling "CBT" doesn't really help (at least it didn't for me), but apparently people read it as "Cock and Ball Torture"

"C.B.T game" does get a steam link
"C.B.T. game" does not work though
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2407660/CBT/
looks like 3D marble madness?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Cognitive Beta Torture

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

google isn't the right search engine for that query

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

To be fair I’m not sure Google is the right search engine for any query these days.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
*remembers trying to find documentation for the typesetting software 'LaTeX' back in the days of the Altavista search engine, in the computer lab room where everyone else can see your screen*

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
New Summoning Salt video just dropped, this time on the history of NES Tetris speedruns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOJlg8g8_yw

It's kind of insane just how much things escalated from the developer-intended "end" of the game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Weird, I watched a long video on NEStris speedrunning a while ago and I'd have sworn it was him, but I guess it was someone else. It's a pretty wild run at any rate, for a game which at first glance looks like it doesn't have an end.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In theory it doesn't, but no one's even made it to the rebirth yet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Wyvernil posted:

New Summoning Salt video just dropped, this time on the history of NES Tetris speedruns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOJlg8g8_yw

It's kind of insane just how much things escalated from the developer-intended "end" of the game.

That's a 2 hour video

the gently caress

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's pretty good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Found the Tetris video stuff I had seen in January on the NEStris killscreen (thank you Youtube history). Only 16 minutes, so easier to slot in as an appetiser for the 2h one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJ5UuknsHU

I presume things have moved on since.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Renegret posted:

That's a 2 hour video

the gently caress

It starts at the beginning, and Tetris speedruns have come incredibly far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh jeez, this summoning salt tetris video is gonna be heartbreaking... gut punch at like 9:45ish :(