Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

two households, both alike in dignity,
in fair gaza where we lay our scene :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Truga posted:

gonna lol forever if it turns out the guy usa spent tens of billions buying in egypt has zero actual power lol

boy that would be a first

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BrotherJayne posted:

Sent another $125 but I'm pretty much tapped for the month, that was the last of the booze money

Thank you, yeah I'm in the same boat and I imagine a lot of people are until the first of the month arrives.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The original article owns

quote:

"Our festival was supposed to be held in November, but after the war started, I decided to postpone it for two months," relates Meir Fenigstein, the founder and CEO of the Israel Film Festival in Los Angeles, which is one of the leading Israeli cultural events in the world. "But I got a phone call from the owner of one of the two venues where our festival was going to be held. He told me that one of his partners had a problem with the festival. He said she was worried that after the festival a young, pro-Palestinian audience would stop coming to the movie theater, which is in Beverly Hills, and that revenues would suffer. I got frightened, because I'd never heard anything like that. Usually our festival actually spurs audiences to come! I was in a state of shock, I was hurt, I never expected this."

quote:

Everyone who's familiar with the international festival scene agrees that the likelihood of a major festival accepting a few Israeli films – as was the case just three years ago, when the Cannes festival screened five such works – is negligible. "All the big festivals say that if an Israeli film they like arrives, they'll screen it, but in practice it's hardly happening. Everyone prefers to keep their distance from Israeli cinema these days," Elkabetz says. "That includes investments by distributors in Israeli films, which is also impossible to come by today. I doubt that now I'd be able to close five or ten percent of the deals I struck at the beginning of the year. Today there is pretty well zero success in recruiting partners from abroad."

quote:

The BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) movement and other pro-Palestinian organizations are today working vigorously and effectively in the cultural realm. They are pressuring festival directors not to screen Israeli films, calling on filmmakers to remove works from festivals in which an Israeli film is taking part, and organizing demonstrations and acts of protest at festivals. As a result, even festival directors who aren't anti-Israeli prefer to avoid the headache that's involved in having films from Israel participate.

quote:

Even in the realm of television series, in which Israel has been considered something of a powerhouse in recent years, exclusion is becoming tangible, albeit far more gently. Apple TV decided to postpone indefinitely the broadcast of the third season of "Tehran," which had been scheduled to begin last month, and has also suspended the writing for the fourth season.
"Everything is on hold now, there's no 'yes' and no 'no,'" says "Tehran" producer Shula Spiegel. Netflix, too, isn't hurrying to carry Israeli series with military themes. For example, last September it acquired the rights to "Mishmar Hagvul" ("Border Police"), but to date it still has no broadcast date.
Still, Guy Amar and Hanan Savyon's dramedy series "Bros" (Hebrew title: "Ba'esh Uvamayim" – "Through Fire and Water"), is newly available on Netflix. (It had been due to air in November but its launch was postponed).

A producer who preferred to remain anonymous notes that some in the international community are starting to equivocate with their Israeli colleagues. "We are detecting initial signs of 'polite' reactions, let's call it that," he says. "They're telling us, 'We have time, let's not talk about it now.' I'm also talking both about investments in series and about acquiring property. Today it's harder for us to sell."

More here including how Israel is iced out in literary circles: https://archive.fo/OpP2f

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Shageletic posted:

The original article owns

More here including how Israel is iced out in literary circles: https://archive.fo/OpP2f

the palpable sense of fear is excellent. a must-read.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I could quote the whole thing but it'd be half this page and it would all be good

Hell here's more

quote:

"There is a boycott, but it can be divided," says Harris. We have a client who left us because he doesn't want any of his books to be published in Hebrew. There are many young writers in the United States – whose publishers we represent – who are refusing to accept our offers. In the past, they were a handful of cases, but today they are 15 percent or slightly more of the deals we're working on. They are writers of romantic comedy in the main, generally Black or Hispanic, a great many gays. We had a woman author who writes lesbian erotica and wasn't willing to be published in Israel. These are young writers, just starting out. I've never heard of most of them, and they're refusing to sign. We've arrived at a situation in which our partners in other countries are telling us in advance that this one and that one will not sign with Israel. It's also happening to publishers in Israel. There's a trilogy two of whose titles have been published – and the writer informed his publisher in Israel that he's unwilling for the third one to be published [in Hebrew]."

gently caress yeah horny writers

quote:

"The majority understand the complexity of Israel's situation, but no one wants to mess with that and with the backlash. That's what we're being told, without any beating around the bush," relates Dan Basman of the Supernova agency, which manages the singer Liraz Charhi, the band Boom Pam and the musical artist Beatfoot, all of whom perform overseas frequently. "There are concerts," he says, "but it's either huge festivals, which can cope with things or that rely on the audience not exactly knowing where the performers are from. At the start of the war, I thought the situation was truly awful, afterward I became a bit optimistic. But the [March 25] resolution of the United Nations Security Council [calling for a cease-fire] and the U.S. support [by various officials] for a cease-fire generated another change. Public opinion toward us is now worse than it was in November," he says.

quote:

The same group also called for a boycott of two clubs in Berlin, Berghain and About Blank, because they had canceled events of pro-Palestinian groups and had urged others to refrain from boycotting Israel. HÖR, an internet radio station in Berlin, also found itself on the list, because it's owned by Israelis, and artists claimed they had been barred from deejaying there because they wore shirts bearing a depiction of the Palestinian flag. Ravers for Palestine is also running a "strike fund" to provide financial assistance to artists who will boycott those venues.

Ravers for Palestine lmao

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i would never wish anyone ill. i hope Gvir gets a tesla next

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

Israel is now the new star of the global cancel culture. Veteran Israeli filmmaker Avi Nesher relates that it was his bad luck to encounter that dubious state of affairs. "I'm currently involved in a large international project that everyone loves, which has a very striking Israeli element, and I was asked whether it absolutely has to be Israeli," he says. "At first they asked more shyly, then less so. By now it's the norm to say, 'This is not the time.' Personally, I haven't heard 'You're like Russia,' but I was definitely told, 'This is not the time to deal with Israeli content.' Of course, we earned that honorably."

lol he's working on the new captain America isn't he?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hadji murad posted:

i would never wish anyone ill. i hope Gvir gets a tesla next
a cybertruck in hard rain

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol he's working on the new captain America isn't he?

Omg they're gonna put an Israeli superhero in it

That's a boycott for me.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Oh they already did. They're desperately trying to save it with re-shoots.

It's going to be the best Captain America because of course the black captain america is the one left holding the genocide bag.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Apr 27, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's the responsibility of the festival circuit to ban American movies as well.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

He's like the avatar of a famously rude, pushy, impatient, country. I'll give him that. Some people embody the spirit of their age.

he embodies the full zeitgeist of his people but if god wills it he will soon be only the latter half

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
they already announced they’re putting loving Sabra, who wears an Israeli flag as a cape, in the next capeshit blockbuster

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

they already announced they’re putting loving Sabra, who wears an Israeli flag as a cape, in the next capeshit blockbuster

pass, tribe makes way better hummus anyway.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

named after a neighborhood in beirut where the colonial forces massacred a refugee camp in 1982

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Doc Hawkins posted:

named after a neighborhood in beirut where the colonial forces massacred a refugee camp in 1982

Also is a Mossad agent

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Oh they already did. They're desperately trying to save it with re-shoots.

It's going to be the best Captain America because of course the black captain america is the one left holding the genocide bag.

lol they showed it to test audiences and the audiences told them to gently caress off

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Doc Hawkins posted:

also named after the Hebrew word for “cactus fruit”, a friendly ethnonym for Israelis and a reference to the making-the-desert-bloom myth

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Clip-On Fedora posted:

lol they showed it to test audiences and the audiences told them to gently caress off

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strangelet Wave posted:

also named after the Hebrew word for “cactus fruit”, a friendly ethnonym for Israelis and a reference to the making-the-desert-bloom myth

something that Sabra makes literally explicit in the comic, for all the dummies at home.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Robviously posted:

Roof Cop's afraid to leave his roof!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1783998326511403316?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Strangelet Wave posted:

It's also not a plant native to Palestine.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

BearsBearsBears posted:

It's also not a plant native to Palestine.

lol I forgot about that, yes, both types of sabra are invasive

a half-decent rejoinder to the “we made the desert bloom!” types is “so then—whose olive groves are you bulldozing?”, to the degree that such rejoinders matter

anyway, unlimited death to israel

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Sydin posted:

Oh golly I wonder how that happened???

antisemitism

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
MARG
BAR
ISRAEL

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/tgnlnv/status/1783955771568296376

https://twitter.com/A7_Mirza/status/1783978107629654351

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chowdah Hill is a coward

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

chalk up another lost war for the great satan

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Iceland’s chants are …*chefs kiss*

“9, 10, 11, 12…USA, gently caress yourself!”

https://x.com/aboujahjah/status/1784010889751932940?s=46

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Now we know why we don't have healthcare.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

loving incredible.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And a parting gift for the USS Sorelosers
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1784022547698274641

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Aaannd dropped this banger too:

https://x.com/aldanmarki/status/1784023892861788532?s=46

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell yeah Salvatore

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

oooooooh yeaaaa

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

please tell me they hit a carrier

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Zedhe Khoja posted:

in addition to this, the movie is called “new world order” and will be released like the week after trump’s second inauguration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022