Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Uta clapping along with Itohs entrance :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

SG Bamboo posted:

Uta clapping along with Itohs entrance :3:

Kamiyu was vibing to it too, but to be fair she does that to most entrances.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
My partner walked into the room right when Kamiyu kicked Uta in the head and asked if they just killed a child.

I shrugged.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Itoh gets the win while Uta is dead at ringside from that Kamiyu boot

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Pom is the best

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
So uh... do we ask about Runa's eye?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Runa wrestling with an eyepatch, was there some injury report i missed?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Main event Moka got splatted :smith:

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Another cozy TJPW show, at a sane time of night for me no less.

Hopefully Runa's eye is a nothingburger issue.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

All Star Grand Queendom stream is live, I think the show's starting in 15-ish minutes.

I didn't notice until I'd bought the PPV that there was an English stream, but that looks to be just as well because PIA sent an email saying this:

quote:

We are sorry to inform you that due to a flaw in our launch setup, the English-language live video feed was not launched.
If you would like to purchase the English-language version, please purchase again from the URL below.

〇販売ページ(英語実況版)/Sales page (English live version)
https://w.pia.jp/a/pls-all-star-grand-queendom2024/

If you wish to purchase the English-language version of the game and have purchased the Japanese-language version of the game, we will refund your money at a later date.
Please contact us at the email address below with your name and phone number at the time of purchase.
I think I'll be just fine with the Japanese stream.

Anyway, this should be exciting! My first live Stardom show.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Pia are pretty incompetent at times

I'm watching this too. Should be good

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The special tag match was shockingly good. Meltear legitimately killed themselves to make the match good. In awe of their effort

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Aja Kong took some pretty hefty bumps in that match as well. I certainly didn't expect that or the match going over 20 minutes.

Too bad they had to mute Electric Eye on the stream. Cowards :argh:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Tag title match absolute madness

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Guess that All Together match was a bit of a spoiler.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

You'll absolutely shocked to learn that Sareee vs Mayu was unbelievable. Probably if it went a shade longer it would have had the chance to topple Sareee vs Hash for women's MOTY so far

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Okada is making it his mission to repair every one of Stardom's broken relationships from previous administrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Saori v hanan was really good too. Loved the story. Even down to the decrepit ref not dropping down fast enough shaking the more inexperienced hanan.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Some Juria news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkXS792gi1c

Also:
:cool:
https://twitter.com/zacyuki/status/1784198876398080477

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

Following strong advice from Yamashita Miyu that the "TJPW LIVE in Philly" commemorative T-shirts would "definitely sell," we ordered twice as many as originally planned, but half of them remained unsold and were brought back to Japan.

Thanks to this, you can buy a lot of them in Japan. Please buy one and post a photo of the T-shirt with the hashtag #山下ありがとう .
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1784063928450097411
https://x.com/livefordrink/status/1784067012651835874

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lmao, Miyu you fool.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm sorry but TSUKASA FUJIMOTO SHOWED UP IN STARDOM AND NONE OF YOU FUCKERS ARE TALKING ABOUT IT??? WHAT THE CHRIST?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I'm sorry but TSUKASA FUJIMOTO SHOWED UP IN STARDOM AND NONE OF YOU FUCKERS ARE TALKING ABOUT IT??? WHAT THE CHRIST?

Yep, biggest evidence of a new Era of Stardom. Okada is trying to repair all of previous regime's broken relationships.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Finally finished ASGQ and wow what a show! The top of the card was fantastic and the undecard delivered too. And some big changes in OED and possibly elsewhere!

I hope Thekla gets an actual push!

Oh, and it amuses me that the veteran/newbie team of AZM and Miyu are the same age.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 28, 2024

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Teased a best friends match too v Mayu and a partner too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Yep, biggest evidence of a new Era of Stardom. Okada is trying to repair all of previous regime's broken relationships.

loving wild.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Teased a best friends match too v Mayu and a partner too.

Syuri just said she wants to face Fujimoto again so it might be Mayu/Syuri vs Fujimoto/Nakajima. Going to go ahead and assume that will be a good match.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
The next TJPW show will have english commentary.
(Also check out how cool and scary Miu is)
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1784601643847479723

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah good, was worried about it clashing with All Together that evening but it's an 11.30am start

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I have Monday off and Japan morning is my evening/night, seems like the perfect opportunity to get into this.
Well, it's at 5am my time, but I can watch the replay immediately I guess?

Actually, is there any bit of a primer on how to get into joshi stuff easily? I'm primarily looking for English commentary (which I'm not sure how sporadic it is for TJPW and Stardom, and I presume is nonexistent for smaller promotions?), as well as accessibility in terms of platforms.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
TJPW has English commentary for all their big shows. Stardom only has English commentary for its 2 or 3 biggest shows of the year (and the English commentary is usually pretty bad), but all their videos have subtitles during promos

Stardom is going through a transitional period with their production so a lot of recent shows that have been uploaded to their streaming service don't have subtitles yet, but they eventually add them. It just takes time

Most Stardom shows are house shows and have no commentary at all, but like I said before, the promos have subtitles so you're good if you're watching stuff from 2023 or before you're good

TJPW is on Wrestle Universe along with DDT and the upcoming Marigold promotion, and I think Sendai Girls too. Stardom is on Stardom World and some people have issues subscribing to them so be aware of that

I'm a filthy casual TJPW fan so I'll let others tell you where to start with them, but for Stardom I would suggest going back to last summer and watching the 5* Grand Prix tournament. It has all the top stars and it's round robin so you never see the same match twice. It'll give you a really good idea of who everyone is and what their style is

Also ask questions here

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 28, 2024

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Stardom should legit hire Mr. Haku to help them for a while but still allowing him to do some DDT/TJPW appearances.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Serperoth posted:

Actually, is there any bit of a primer on how to get into joshi stuff easily? I'm primarily looking for English commentary (which I'm not sure how sporadic it is for TJPW and Stardom, and I presume is nonexistent for smaller promotions?), as well as accessibility in terms of platforms.

Wrestle Universe is very easy and English-friendly to sign up for. As noted above, that'll give you TJPW as your primary Joshi and shows from those other promotions going forward.

As far as TJPW goes, English commentary on major shows is nice to have, but you'll miss it less than you'd think on general house shows. The televised product starts with Namba detailing the card and giving any major announcements, then the Up Up Girls do a song, and after that it's like 95% wrestling until the main event is done. They're not big on intricate Western-style storylines, there are no run-ins or disqualifications in general, and the matchups tend to be made by the Random Match Generator for the most part.

The main obstacle is pretty easily cleared, which is picking up on everyone's character traits (Rika has Main Character Syndrome, is obsessed with Mizuki and turns on friends and partners when it's beneficial to her. Pom is three years old in-character, kicks shins for fun and profit, and can crack concrete with her voice. Raku is a benevolent goddess who puts opponents to sleep by singing, adores trains and... okay, Raku is complicated) and rolling from there. There aren't traditional Face vs. Heel dynamics going on.

And when they do get weird, ask here or in the Discord. Like, there's a show called HYPE! 2 on WU right now, and if you go into that cold and unprepared you will emerge with head trauma. But that kind of spectacle is rare there.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You should absolutely watch HYPE 2 first, for it is the crucible that will determine if you are worthy.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
TJPW is a promotion where you can get by on just vibes alone.

You could also watch NeoJoshizzle's character breakdown videos if you want a crash course on some of the roster.

But you could totally get by on vibes.

Also: the easiest way to frame TJPW English commentary is "what if ChocoPro were in charge of TJPW's English stuff?", because that's literally what's happening.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Crapple! posted:

Syuri just said she wants to face Fujimoto again so it might be Mayu/Syuri vs Fujimoto/Nakajima. Going to go ahead and assume that will be a good match.

I think if it's entirely up to stardom (and it often isn't with freelancers) I actually feel like it's a strong chance they run Hanan. I think they are showing their hand pretty strongly they are going to at a certain point build the promotion around her.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I have Monday off and Japan morning is my evening/night, seems like the perfect opportunity to get into this.
Well, it's at 5am my time, but I can watch the replay immediately I guess?

There used to be an alright primer on a site called Joshi City but it hasn't been updated in years.

I think I'd boil it like this: I understand why you want English commentary. It was an intimidating hurdle for me too, initially. But the thing is that when you get over it it turns out this poo poo is really easy to follow. I mean someone might do a promo & you can't work out why everyone is laughing, but if person A is challenging person B you can work it out from the use of names & body language etc. Unfortunately there isn't any joshi company that regularly has English commentary, at least as far as I'm aware. Some of them do have either official or unofficial twitter accounts which probably won't break down promos live (TJPW being the exception here) but may do so later.

As for the groups? Stardom is the one that's generally critically the highest thought of, as well as just generally being the #1 women's wrestling promotion in the world. Great wrestlers, a track record of training excellent wrestlers. As the #1 they also routinely poach talent from other groups, although recently have lost a couple of big names & some supporting players to their former owner's new startup, Marigold. You get a wide variety of styles, from the high speed action of AZM & Starlight Kid to some brutal strikers, Stardom is built around a handful of factions, kind of similar to Dragongate in that regard. There's one heel unit (currently Oedo Tai, before that there was Kimura Monster-gun), & then several other groups that are various shades between face & tweener. STARS are probably the purest babyface faction, with Mayu Iwatani as their centrepiece, but there's also Queen's Quest, Empress Nexus Venus, God's Eye & Cosmic Angels. And then a few unaffiliated wrestlers like Suzu Suzuki & Mei Seira. They have quite a lot of titles: the top one is the World of Stardom Title, also known as the red belt for obvious reasons, there's also the Wonder of Stardom belt, aka the white belt. Goddess of Stardom Titles are tag belts, Artists of Stardom Titles are trios belts, they have the High Speed Title which...I'll be honest, I'm not sure. It's kind of like a Junior Heavyweight Title but there's not a weight class? Then there is the Future of Stardom Title, whose gimmick is that only people either under 20 or with fewer than 3 years experience can compete for it. Finally there are the New Blood Tag Team Titles, which are similar to the Future Titles in that they are for younger more inexperienced wrestlers, though I don't think there's an age limit on them officially. But they are associated with the New Blood brand shows they run which are focused on the less experienced wrestlers & some outsiders. Finally they have a couple of New Japan belts, the IWGP Women's & the STRONG Women's belts.

Another promotion who are easy to follow are Sendai Girls. Some of their shows stream on Wrestle Universe, others get uploaded to their Youtube channel. They are home to one of the top 5 women's wrestlers in the world, Chihiro Hashimoto, & have a small roster that's supplemented by freelancers & others. You frequently see wrestlers from Marvelous on Sendai Girls shows, because Sendai Girls was founded by Meiko Satomura, who started off in a '90s women's promotion, GAEA, where she was trained by Chigusa Nagoya, who now runs Marvelous. Their shared style is sometimes referred to as GAEA-ism in tribute to the shared background of the founders. They don't really go in for the razzmatazz of some wrestling promotions, it's just hard hitting action. A fantastic example of Sendai Girls is this match from January: Chihiro Hashimoto & Mika Iwata vs Sareee & Mio Momono

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
You don't need to understand Japanese to understand sick bumps from wrestling on a train
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NiDUw6dQ2hI

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The high speed title just has a gentlewoman agreement to wrestle high speed. I think it's more comparable to something like the tv title in njpw where the time limit forces the pace

In stardom it's just cause the wrestlers agree to it. That's why Saki Kashima is an amusing champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Kiwi__011/status/1784543025932238919?t=b6z0CrHDa_-8cqCnLDFu3w&s=19

Could the budokan see the greatest tag team of all time born?