Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why did captain rainbow consider generic fami/advance wars soldiers to be forgotten nintendo characters when advance wars had just had its final release that year

why did captain rainbow consider birdo to be a forgotten nintendo character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok so I got to the end of The Proving Grounds in Eiyuden and I (spoiler I guess) went through the little hole with the tree guy and the gate lined up but the door didn't open. What did I do wrong?
Like this scene but the door didn't open.
https://youtu.be/0Ux_Nedxvw8?t=3033

Did you hit the switch on the other side?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

https://twitter.com/MarioRPGCentral/status/1783525804401451339

It looks like the upcoming Paper Mario TTYD remake will have battle themes by area, a la Origami King.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Did you hit the switch on the other side?

I guess not. This is the sort of stuff that is eroding my sanity. Thank you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I guess not. This is the sort of stuff that is eroding my sanity. Thank you.

This is a pure spoiler here regarding mechanical challenge you will face beyond the door There are two bossfights beyond that door. A guardian and another one after. You can go back, save, and fully heal up whatever you want after beating the guardian fight. I'd highly recommend it because its not like the one after is easy!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

youtube exists
oh wrong games

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Switched Eiyuden to JPN and the voice quality went up like 3x.
Oh hey we have actual voice acting now

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Im in a rush to finish Eiyudens cooking sidequest before I patch cause laffo if you think this has any chance of being fun when they patch in "you have to consult a guide and calculator for every single cooking competition"

The card game kind of sucks, but especially so the first duel. I lost that thing like 3 times in a row because a hand of all 2s is never going to win that thing.

Just copy whatever they are going to cook, but replace a dish or two with favorites for the judges. A guide is helpful but idk where the calculator comes in.
There are absolutely way too loving many cooking battles. 17 is far too many for this stupid minigame.

The card game is great and definitely the best minigame.

Barudak posted:

Also never sell your appraisal items, even though the game pressures you to. The first one you can encounter which is a fixed drop and Ive now idea how you'd get more later and the first one enemies can drop at all are both used in recruitment quests

It can drop again not much later.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The boss fight with the two enemies that put you to sleep in the Proving Grounds is absolute horseshit, sleep might as well be a death sentence because it feels like you don't naturally wake up from it without being attacked and it ALSO feels like the mass sleep attack either doesn't break sleep or anyone getting hit is still sleeping.

So it's real loving cool that she can use the sleep spell twice in one turn and put everyone in the party to sleep. Or if you're lucky then she'll just target one character for 150 damage with rock thrust.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 27, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quackles posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioRPGCentral/status/1783525804401451339

It looks like the upcoming Paper Mario TTYD remake will have battle themes by area, a la Origami King.

Oh poo poo, I was just excited for whatever the fast travel updates actually meant. This is already huge, even if it does feel way more dramatic than necessary (He said cynically having beaten the game 15 times already)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Seriously, why does she hit for up to 150 damage a turn and the worst that Hurstwine can do is 60 if he uses his best attack and targets the same characte.r

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Testekill posted:

The boss fight with the two enemies that put you to sleep in the Proving Grounds is absolute horseshit, sleep might as well be a death sentence because it feels like you don't naturally wake up from it without being attacked and it feels like the mass sleep attack either doesn't break sleep or anyone getting hit is still sleeping.

So it's real loving cool that she can use the sleep spell twice in one turn and put everyone in the party to sleep. Or if you're lucky then she'll just target one character for 150 damage with rock thrust.

Both of those fights are some bullshit. I am a dozen hours beyond that and nothing else has even come close.

Testekill posted:

Seriously, why does she hit for up to 150 damage a turn and the worst that Hurstwine can do is 60 if he uses his best attack and targets the same characte.r

Gonna assume this is because he hits for phys damage and she probably does magic damage. Hurstwine was just tickling Garr for me, while she would hurt him.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just copy whatever they are going to cook, but replace a dish or two with favorites for the judges. A guide is helpful but idk where the calculator comes in.
There are absolutely way too loving many cooking battles. 17 is far too many for this stupid minigame.

I'll say, the underlying mechanics don't seem as well-made as Suikoden II's cooking battles, where rather than needing a specific dish, everyone had different preferred styles/flavors, and each recipe had different ratings for those tastes (for example, cheesecake scored well with judges who liked sweets, western cuisine, or, oddly, meat lovers). Each dish also had a base "Tastiness rating" that influenced scoring, and you also had to have the dish in the appropriate part of the meal. In Eiyuden, it seems that if you don't literally serve up their favorite dish, you're basically screwed, whereas in Suikoden, you had room to be creative if you knew the judges' palates.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Gonna assume this is because he hits for phys damage and she probably does magic damage. Hurstwine was just tickling Garr for me, while she would hurt him.

He does hit for physical damage so he's barely scratching my front line but water veil does absolutely zero to reduce the damage of rock thrust and Zabi is getting hit for just as much from it as Yosuke despite having 30 more magic defence. It's just a terribly balanced boss fight

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 27, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I had a much harder time with the golem fight before them. Didn't even know those two could put you to sleep.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

EclecticTastes posted:

I'll say, the underlying mechanics don't seem as well-made as Suikoden II's cooking battles, where rather than needing a specific dish, everyone had different preferred styles/flavors, and each recipe had different ratings for those tastes (for example, cheesecake scored well with judges who liked sweets, western cuisine, or, oddly, meat lovers). Each dish also had a base "Tastiness rating" that influenced scoring, and you also had to have the dish in the appropriate part of the meal. In Eiyuden, it seems that if you don't literally serve up their favorite dish, you're basically screwed, whereas in Suikoden, you had room to be creative if you knew the judges' palates.

I mean, I don't know that it's as complex as the Suiko 2 system but there's CLEARLY an underlying set of rules governing what scores a character gives out, it's not like they can only give you 0's and 5's. The system is still pretty annoying to deal with though and I usually just go for a characters favorite food if it's mentioned in their judge blurb and at least one coconut water because it seems bizarrely safe as an option, most characters seem at least okay with it. In general though the cooking battles are just kinda random bullshit since depending on the judges your opponent can score super well or super poo poo. Like the meat guy, I got a judge panel that has the fisherman, the tiny wood guy and the warehouse manager, and all three of them seem to dislike meat so the guy's score ended up at like 10.

FireWorksWell posted:

I had a much harder time with the golem fight before them. Didn't even know those two could put you to sleep.

On Normal or Hard? That fight is some INTENSE bullshit on Hard.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In Emerald Beyond, is there a way to check what a mech skill does without equipping the item and then going over to the equip skills screen? Because that is a huge pain.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, I don't know that it's as complex as the Suiko 2 system but there's CLEARLY an underlying set of rules governing what scores a character gives out, it's not like they can only give you 0's and 5's. The system is still pretty annoying to deal with though and I usually just go for a characters favorite food if it's mentioned in their judge blurb and at least one coconut water because it seems bizarrely safe as an option, most characters seem at least okay with it. In general though the cooking battles are just kinda random bullshit since depending on the judges your opponent can score super well or super poo poo. Like the meat guy, I got a judge panel that has the fisherman, the tiny wood guy and the warehouse manager, and all three of them seem to dislike meat so the guy's score ended up at like 10.

I just did 2 cooking battles were I made the same dish that the opposing chef made, and they got 0s and 1s and everyone hated it. When I served the same dish, I got 1s and 3s because I guess even though it's the same dish it's not somehow.

Random bullshit is right.

Infinity Gaia posted:

On Normal or Hard? That fight is some INTENSE bullshit on Hard.

Both those fights are some unfun garbage on hard. The golem fight took me a 2 tries before I lucked out and it decided to focus on the front row instead of bullying the backrow along with the angel.

e: probably would've been easier if I didn't bring Kalathor. loving lovely tree man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 27, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
ok im kind of furious that the game introduced the coolest character in the history of the Tales series, Legretta, and I don't get to play as her or even wield her dress and guns?? this game loving sucks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Radia posted:

ok im kind of furious that the game introduced the coolest character in the history of the Tales series, Legretta, and I don't get to play as her or even wield her dress and guns?? this game loving sucks.

that's some legretta regretta right there

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Drop it down to Normal and she just straight up no longer casts the spell that puts multiple people to sleep and won't double cast rock thrust. Real cool balanced fight there

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

that's some legretta regretta right there

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Limbus is 99% fine. It's just the stupid daily/weekly dungeon crap thats bad. Which makes it even more frustrating.

Just so everyone knows, if you do one Hard weekly dungeon, you don't have to do any others because it gives you max rewards on the spot. Then it's only about 2ish hours total once a week.

I honestly quite like it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh if you're fighting Legretta then it's almost that time

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Meowywitch posted:

Oh if you're fighting Legretta then it's almost that time

if you mean the "twist[s]" re: van and Luke-is-Suletta it was so heavily foreshadowed and obvious I figured that'd be the case as soon as the Van kidnapping poo poo came out lol. Symphonia tried to pull similar stuff and it didnt even work then!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

such things Do Not concern me. I am here for my king Jade and my queen Natalia, with their loyal knight Guy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Radia posted:

such things Do Not concern me. I am here for my king Jade and my queen Natalia, with their loyal knight Guy.

I do feel very bad for Jade (he's been frail since birth)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The Wild Arms world map music in Eiyuden Chronicle is weirding me out

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Oh I think I missed some side quest stuff, do I permanently lose access to any of that if I don’t trigger them by a certain point?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tbh I keep trying to play Abyss (3DS version) and I keep bouncing off

furthest I ever got was a bit after the Liger queen I think

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Radia posted:

Oh I think I missed some side quest stuff, do I permanently lose access to any of that if I don’t trigger them by a certain point?

If you are talking about Tales of the Abyss, then probably. Might depend on the sidequest.

It was one of the Tales games with the strictest(and most bullshit) windows to trigger sidequests otherwise you would miss them forever.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I'm seeing double! Four Sabines! Lol this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radia posted:

abyss has a ton of that yeah. most of its just side stuff though. theres one sidequest that helps sell the effects of a later plot point a lot better, but its also one of the most annoying to trigger. personally id mess around with sidequests a bit but it isnt worth like, getting obsessive over ro anything

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I just got Milana in Eiyuden and she, in particular, really takes me back to playing Suikoden, in that she's a character that would be utterly garbage except for her one unique battle command that's so good that it alone justifies everything else about her and makes her worth using.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

EclecticTastes posted:

I just got Milana in Eiyuden and she, in particular, really takes me back to playing Suikoden, in that she's a character that would be utterly garbage except for her one unique battle command that's so good that it alone justifies everything else about her and makes her worth using.

Eh, I dunno. The hit all attack is nice but it's SO slow most of a random encounter is probably already dead by the time she gets it off. She's also weirdly a character whose design and rune slots try to fool you into thinking they're a caster when their stats are actually pretty melee oriented.

On my end, I love my martial arts grandma. Goddamn her stats are insane and that's before she applies her unique self buff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Milana is very solid. She has good stats, even if they are physical oriented. She's fast enough, when not using her unique ability, to be able to act before most things to fire off heals or support the party using her pretty big mp pool.

And she can eventually ends up with 3 rune slots for spellcasting. I'm running her with water, wind and light as they have the best utility.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

after the latest xbox patch to eiyuden, the characters now shimmy super fast from point to point during cutscenes and it is highly entertaining

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lmao the Seign chapter is dogshit

Pro tip, whenever the game forces you to become Seign for your own sanity make sure the fast running item is in your inventory alongside your best healing items and ideally some rank 6 damage items from the guild quests cause after a brutal dungeon you've got to do 4 loving bossfights in a row. I swear I was laughing from madness and the fights all are tedious and suck.

Testekill posted:

Magic damage in general for enemies is absurdly more deadly than their physical

The 7th Guest posted:

after the latest xbox patch to eiyuden, the characters now shimmy super fast from point to point during cutscenes and it is highly entertaining

They always have, haven't they?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Testekill posted:

Drop it down to Normal and she just straight up no longer casts the spell that puts multiple people to sleep and won't double cast rock thrust. Real cool balanced fight there

Oh that explains it lol. Well she did double cast rock thrust for me but never targeted the same person and Francesca kept everyone topped off HP wise so that fight wasn't bad.

The 7th Guest posted:

I've had this on ps5 for a while and it's great whenever there's a serious cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I am absolutely awful at fighting in Vesperia. Barely managed to defeat the first boss on my second try, and rats are a stun locking PITA (I guess I have to work on my blocking). Is there a point to jumping?

I wanted to play with the Japanese dub, but there was a lot of dialog during the boss battle, and no subtitles.