Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
falafel man is so incredibly racist lol

super shlumper rules though
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/shlumper.htm

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

falafel man is so incredibly racist lol

super shlumper rules though
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/shlumper.htm

lol wtf
The Golem

www.internationalhero.co.uk posted:

The Golem

Yossi Stein

Identity/Class: Either mutated human or magically altered human

Occupation: Protector of the Jewish people, secret agent for the Magen

Affiliations: Dani-Din; Lilith; Samson; Tarzan, Marshal Bill Carter, Buck Jones

Enemies: The Jine (an Arabic demon); Reshef (a Canaanite god); Asmedey(a demon); the Hangman from Corfu; the Black Nazi; Pinkus, evil conqueror from another planet; a vampire from Transylvania; the Blue Giant; the Invincibles (a mutant group)

Known Relatives: None

Aliases: Unknown

Base of Operations: Israel

First Appearance: The Golem (2003)

Powers/Abilities: Unknown

History: The Golem is a hero who has been round since the 1940's, meeting such famous Israeli personalities as Moshe Dayan and Ariel Sharon. He has several origin stories (they changed with each decade).

Initially his "first " origin had him gain his powers from a scientist (Professor Finstein)'s invention. In the "second" of his origin stories he got his powers from the Seal of King Solomon, guarded by one of the ten lost tribes in Africa. In a third origin story he became the Golem after being accidentally exposed to radiation during an atomic experiment in the Israeli nuclear centre at Dimona.

Some of his adventures involved time travel, with the Golem meeting the likes of Samson, or going back to the Wild West where he encountered Marshall Bill Carter and ranger Buck Jones.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 22:02 on Apr 27, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

oh word? we are cutting Israel loose through leaking to Reuters

well. that'll happen.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

there's not gonna be a hostage deal as long as Israel exsists

Thia heavy focus on Bibi always seems to side step that everyone in Israeli politics is as bad or wrose than him with regard to Palestine. There is not a single Israeli politician thatnwouldnhave done anytbing different from him. The Israeli State does not care about the hoatages

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

StashAugustine posted:

I do wanna zero in on this because this is a racist funny way to say "when Arabs tried to have self determination after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire the British et al hosed them over"

I might have mentioned this but I met someone who was only recently made aware that Israel was a recently founded country and not a direct continuation of the biblical kingdom

wait what

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Zodium posted:

he should be freed, and given an apology and an admin star

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

chouhada is the french transliteration of the algerian شهداء/shuhadā which means martyr - it's from the algerian separatists during the revolution

That's awesome, other than Herbert changing the meaning to 'fighters'

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

It just makes me think of the Pokemon of the same name

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

KomradeX posted:

Thia heavy focus on Bibi always seems to side step that everyone in Israeli politics is as bad or wrose than him with regard to Palestine. There is not a single Israeli politician thatnwouldnhave done anytbing different from him. The Israeli State does not care about the hoatages

so what you’re saying is that until Israel as a state dies, there can be no peace?

death to Israel then.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*idf rabbi raises a golem to protect the righteous*

*golem immediately starts slaughtering the idf*

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's pretty much how Islam started, according to the latest research in the past 10 years.
So you have the Romans and Persians creating all of these conditions where Arabia is developing rapidly but won't be let into the political or ideological order on an equal footing. The idea of an Ummah, or community united by a single creed, ended two hundred years of religious violence, first within Arabia, then without. If you compare the simplicity of the shahada to, not the Nicene Creed, but the (now obscure) interpretations of specific words or phrases of the Nicene Creed that led to whole cities in Syria being destroyed in these Roman wars of religion, it seems reasonable to think that peace under the "barbarians" was preferable to persecution under one or both of the major empires.
ok but this is just materialist reach for lack of understanding vertical causation

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Bel Shazar posted:

That's awesome, other than Herbert changing the meaning to 'fighters'

ah but herbert didn't say it was fighters, lady jessica did...

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

almost every American alive thinks Israel is 2024 years old

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

KomradeX posted:

that’s literally the point of the focus op

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Almost every is pushing it, but yeah plenty of Americans are very ignorant

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

that's o.k.. they'll buy that there's a jewsish homeland in utah that's existed for just as long and that the mormons must be driven from it that it may be reclaimed

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

*reading the bible*

AND He was king of the jews??? wow!

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

that’s also how old Santa is

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's pretty much how Islam started, according to the latest research in the past 10 years.

first of all, Islam started with the prophet Adam, so jot that down.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

AnEdgelord posted:

Well there's also this thing called the 100 years war which is part of the European Wars of Religion after the Reformation

Also a little thing called the 30 years war.

Mister Bates posted:

history began when I woke up this morning and there have been no previous events of any kind

Except for the crusades and the jihads.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

lmao super shlumper.

lmfaoooooooooo

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

vile shlomo just got drafted to the legion of doom, drat

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wilkerson and Napolitano both have been surprisingly good on the issue of Gaza. Wilkerson's a Vietnam era guy and he was praising student protestors for their courage, so whatever you think of him (or Andrew Napolitano), they are at least consistent in their beliefs. I respect that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

Fierce bombardment now on the Israeli military base Meron in northern occupied Palestine. 50 Katyusha rockets directly hit the base and its surroundings.

The missile targeting is coming from Lebanon.
https://twitter.com/tamerqdh/status/1784347777905930351

I guess this means the Iron Dome is no longer functional?

fuctifino has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Apr 27, 2024

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Both Romans and Persians employed Arabs as mercenaries, federated troops, and auxiliary states during the Roman-Persian Wars, and promoted the spread of Christianity and Zoroastrianism in Arabia, while at the same time, treating them pretty bad. Most importantly, neither would allow the Arabs to have a stake in their religion. For the Zoroastrians, the religion required certain holy sites, containing holy fires, all of which were in Persia, for it to be practiced.

For the Christians, most of Syria and Arabia was the "wrong" type of Christian which the Romans persecuted more fiercely than would make sense if you understood the theological minutiae this was over. The Romans also refused to appoint bishops to the Arabs, because that would be a sort of legal recognition of them as nations. This culminated in a giant, Christian, Jihad, under Mavia, which defeated the Romans. The monk Moses was appointed to be Bishop of the Arabs as part of the terms of peace. This was a fairly big deal because he was recognized as one of the holiest men of the age, he's been canonized since. It's probably not a surprise to people ITT, but the fact that the Christian Empire did not act very Christian in their dealings with subjects or people on the fringes of empire caused a lot of dissonance.

The huge amounts of money and military experience going to the Arabs from both sides of these wars, exactly like the barbarians in Northern Europe and the Balkans transformed their society. It made them better organized, created centralized political leadership, traditions of diplomacy, a sense of communal identity etc. It also made them really potent, military forces.

The Romans had just finished another cycle of their favourite thing "betray and massacre 'Barbarians' who had grown too powerful" to a few Arab tribes on the eve of Mohammed, which if you remember had already led to the destruction of a Roman army and death of an emperor at Adrianople, and would again lead to similar problems with the Bulgarians later, but apparently they couldn't help themselves.

So you have the Romans and Persians creating all of these conditions where Arabia is developing rapidly but won't be let into the political or ideological order on an equal footing. The idea of an Ummah, or community united by a single creed, ended two hundred years of religious violence, first within Arabia, then without. If you compare the simplicity of the shahada to, not the Nicene Creed, but the (now obscure) interpretations of specific words or phrases of the Nicene Creed that led to whole cities in Syria being destroyed in these Roman wars of religion, it seems reasonable to think that peace under the "barbarians" was preferable to persecution under one or both of the major empires.

I found this very interesting. Can you recommend any books/articles that explore the rise of Islam in relation to these events? Apologies if you already posted them, the thread moves fast.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Red Baron posted:

so what you’re saying is that until Israel as a state dies, there can be no peace?

death to Israel then.

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

cannot wait for all the lawsuits

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
there is a tiny Israeli Communist Party who are vocally anti-Zionist, multiracial (although majority Arab), and have a small but consistent presence in the Knesset, including Ofer Cassif, who is Jewish

they only get a few percent of the vote in every election, their support is so heavily concentrated among Arabic speakers that their party newspaper is published in Arabic instead of Hebrew, and their representatives are constantly being censured, harassed, accused of crimes, or impeached, but they do exist

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kopmala posted:

Not to be a doomer, but I feel like judges are all just as bought as politicians

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Kopmala posted:

ikanreed posted:

Not to be a doomer, but I feel like judges are all just as bought as politicians

actually lawsuits are illegal now

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

carcinofuck posted:

ok but this is just materialist reach for lack of understanding vertical causation

vertical causation in the sense of Brecht, or?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/tamerqdh/status/1784347777905930351

Got a feeling that that's why they pushed an Israeli aid package real loving fast

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Wasnt it yesterday that the US was saying that Iran shouldn't feel confident after the attack on israel cause it was no good and failed? Lmao if thats all it took to put it on the fritz

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
most of iran's missiles were shot down by the us, not israel. separately, hezbollah has been systematically destroying iron dome and surveillance infrastructure in the north

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

why doesn't Biden just grant Israel statehood already

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Google Butt posted:

it would immediately become the new capitol and that might mean legislating in israel, and I don't think anyone wants that

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s comical that the iron dome was probably causing more danger to civilians from debris then the lovely bottle rocket fired at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Google Butt posted:

to be honest I suspect he doesn't like Jewish people much