Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

If you had to give a presentation on Smartypants what would it be? My top two are:

Idaho is Not the Midwest: How the US Education System Failed At Geography

And

Swimming Pools Are Not Urinals: A Desperate Plea After a Distrubing Conversation with Friends and Subsequent Polling

one piece: a better bible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Base ten was a mistake and we should switch to base twelve

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

If you had to give a presentation on Smartypants what would it be? My top two are:

Idaho is Not the Midwest: How the US Education System Failed At Geography

And

Swimming Pools Are Not Urinals: A Desperate Plea After a Distrubing Conversation with Friends and Subsequent Polling

Why angels crowd around satellites (to eat your text messages), and what texts they find the tastiest and/or nourishing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've followed Demi for a long time and he's loving hilarious, was glad when I saw him in the trailer for this

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

inthesto posted:

Base ten was a mistake and we should switch to base twelve

Follow-up numerical presentation: measuring time in units of 60 and 24 is a mistake and we should switch to units of 100 and 10

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Why using Imperial instead of Metric is wrong, problematic and colonial

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why using Imperial instead of Metric is wrong, problematic and colonial

That could be fun, but I'd also swerve and say F > C for daily life temps.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Beans in chili: big crime or biggest crime?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Phobia of clowns is made up bullshit: an analysis of stupid phobias and their global distributions

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Sam Reich hasn't been here the whole time, an in-depth investigation

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Actually, you should be afraid of maths.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Everybody Wants to Rule the World (why every elected official MUST do mushrooms before serving).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

That could be fun, but I'd also swerve and say F > C for daily life temps.

This is an opinion shared by everyone who grew up with F and disagreed with by everyone who grew up with C.

People are just really good at convincing themselves their familiarity bias has a logical justification.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MikeJF posted:

This is an opinion shared by everyone who grew up with F and disagreed with by everyone who grew up with C.

People are just really good at convincing themselves their familiarity bias has a logical justification.

But in this case the latter people are actually wrong because of their familiarity bias and the former are not

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

MikeJF posted:

Fair, but the heel turn from going rah rah metric to "but actually 70F is better than 20C" is worth the argument.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

One temperature scale to rule them all: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Delisle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

“Rutger Hauer second only to Rutgest Hauest”

I laughed so suddenly I choked on air.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first episode of Smartypants because of Demi. I have never seen a Dropout thing before!!!!!

Well, the Demi part was very good. I wasn’t bothered about the rest. I didn’t enjoy how there was so much cutting to everyone else laughing. Like yes we get when it’s meant to be funny you don’t have to point it out so much. Weird especially when they would cut to the host who is just idk sat alone by herself. I think generally the editing was my biggest issue, it felt very focused on not letting the jokes speak for themselves. Anyway maybe I will never post in this thread ever again so goodbye everyone

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

fancy stats posted:

promising first episode, hopefully the producers can get grant to stop interrupting the presenters as the season progresses
truly a fantastic presentation and I adored that bit, Grant's a good sport for being a deliberate heel.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Between his "beef" with the crew and his bits on Breaking News, Grant is a great heel.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Negative attention is still attention, and grant loves a spotlight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pseudosavior posted:

Negative attention is still attention, and grant loves a spotlight.

Classic bratty bottom behaviour

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched the first episode of Smartypants because of Demi. I have never seen a Dropout thing before!!!!!

Well, the Demi part was very good. I wasn’t bothered about the rest. I didn’t enjoy how there was so much cutting to everyone else laughing. Like yes we get when it’s meant to be funny you don’t have to point it out so much. Weird especially when they would cut to the host who is just idk sat alone by herself. I think generally the editing was my biggest issue, it felt very focused on not letting the jokes speak for themselves. Anyway maybe I will never post in this thread ever again so goodbye everyone
If you’re interested in other things involving Demi, he’s been in a handful of episodes of Um, Actually (nerdy game show) and an episode of Dirty Laundry (guests sit around drinking and guess each others secrets).

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

If you had to give a presentation on Smartypants what would it be?

Shigging Is Fine: A Primer for Newbies Making BBQ

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's definitely gotten better, although I don't have time to watch regularly. I usually try and catch the Talk Show segment, which has grown into it's own fun thing especially when everyone goes for it.

This clip was on my YouTube feed and the format seemed like something I'd like with people I think are funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOCcZdo7TOk

It was kinda painful. Aside from Caitlin everyone's pretty stiff, but most of all the audience is absolutely AWFUL. They will not shut up it interrupts any flow that they're having, it's just so bad.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Capfalcon posted:

Between his "beef" with the crew and his bits on Breaking News, Grant is a great heel.

"What does that have to do with tailoring?!" is an all-timer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Undead Hippo posted:

I don't find that example convincing. Mash is from 1972. Blackadder Goes Forth 1989. In the same year as Blackadder Goes Forth was a little show called the Simpsons, and I'd almost call Mr Burns the platonic ideal of the malevolent superior. There are plenty of more "Cosy" British sitcoms from the Mash era too (E.G. Dad's Army, Open All Hours, To The Manor Born).

The US definitely has different attitudes to authority than the UK- but it's not like "Mean/Arbitrary Boss" is an alien archetype.

Yeah, a clueless arbitrary boss is pretty much the foundation of US workplace comedies. Even in the MASH example. Most episodes in the first half of the show were about Hawkeye undermining his cruel/clueless/arbitrary superior officers Majors Burns and Houlihan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, a clueless arbitrary boss is pretty much the foundation of US workplace comedies. Even in the MASH example. Most episodes in the first half of the show were about Hawkeye undermining his cruel/clueless/arbitrary superior officers Majors Burns and Houlihan.

I mean, Henry Blake was meant to be on the more 'clueless' end in MASH, which was more of a 'slobs vs snobs' kind of comedy for the first 2-3 seasons

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/samreich/status/1784979769244926254

The wenis is a dance

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I would absolutely not have called that Deja Vu was inspired by Celeste, but I can’t fault Sam’s taste.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

pumpinglemma posted:

I would absolutely not have called that Deja Vu was inspired by Celeste, but I can’t fault Sam’s taste.

Is that something he said, or just speculation by the fan base? Cus a lot of media has that "Let's repeat this over and over with only the main characters acting like anything's different" idea, cus really this is just my excuse to share the excellet horror short film Great Choice! to a wider audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXmtBJbt3E

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It was in the BTS

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Neito posted:

Is that something he said, or just speculation by the fan base?
He said it (in addition to the less-suprising Groundhog Day) in the behind-the-scenes that just came out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/GoodyearBlimp/status/1784746605159063653

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This needs to be spliced with the Hindenburg disaster happening at moment of the kick. Also, censoring wenis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm honestly surprised at how little the BTS talked about any intention for the low-fi horror-y vibe the episode had. I was sure BDG had been tapped for that reason.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
bdg just seems to be around in general, which is good because being part of the dropout talent pool is such a better fit for him than wringing what he could out of being employed at polygon (even if i do love what he did over there and wish that all that stuff could've continued. i miss videogame theater)

i think the filming schedule has him guesting for game changer before his longer role as um actually fact checker, and i think we've seen clips of him guesting on other things (including a clip of him hanging out of the window of a speeding car on a race track that i BADLY want to know the context of). it'd be very cool if he could produce something on his own with access to a bigger budget and a bigger cast given how much he was able to do with his horror shorts, but i think for now he's just in the talent pool

personally i wanna see him on dimension 20, especially since he already was on an early live episode of fantasy high

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Thousandaires is coming soon, and from what I'm guessing that's the BDG moving car thing.

From what I'm hearing (which is speculation) it's essentially the prize task from Taskmaster, but it's things that fit a criteria with a budget of $1,000.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Brennan is undoubtedly champing at the bit at the opportunity to bring BDG in for a Sidequest campaign. I'm sure he'll sit down soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i do like just about everything bdg's done but after digging through his youtube for the links above i found myself watching this another half dozen times again, so i figure i should link what might be my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFGbBmlyKQ