Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Cleared Caria Manor. Do not like the giant severed and fused hand things, less about being actually difficult (they aren't outside of numbers which applies to every enemy anyway) and more about how creepy they are.

I also did not like that the main boss in the catacombs near the Frenzied Village stunning me which lead it and the skeleton enemies to shred my health to zero in an instant because I wanted to regain my runes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Pyro Jack posted:

Cleared Caria Manor. Do not like the giant severed and fused hand things, less about being actually difficult (they aren't outside of numbers which applies to every enemy anyway) and more about how creepy they are.

There are so many Elden Ring enemies, the hands among them, that evoke what makes spider enemies in games creepy, without having any actual literal spiders. It's truly incredible.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Should brought back the Bloodborne spiders imo

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Setting the hands on fire will stun them for a little bit. If you're having trouble with them retreat and throw fireballs at them, or fire pots/arrows/etc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CaptainRat posted:

There are so many Elden Ring enemies, the hands among them, that evoke what makes spider enemies in games creepy, without having any actual literal spiders. It's truly incredible.

They're a mix of familiar and wrong elements that play off each other very effectively.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

Setting the hands on fire will stun them for a little bit. If you're having trouble with them retreat and throw fireballs at them, or fire pots/arrows/etc.

weapons that do any amount of fire damage work as well

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Torch flamethrower or even regular flamethrower that I wish didn't suck rear end

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

verbal enema posted:

Torch flamethrower or even regular flamethrower that I wish didn't suck rear end

It's honestly hosed up how much torch flamethrower clears... it makes regular feel like a gimmick when I fee like it should be the other way around.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just got summoned to help the most advanced noob ive encountered: sacred relic sword, lusats staff, white mask and raptor’s black feathers, spent the whole boss fight (against the rotten duelist) trying and failing to get off comet azur, died in one hit

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

scary ghost dog posted:

just got summoned to help the most advanced noob ive encountered: sacred relic sword, lusats staff, white mask and raptor’s black feathers, spent the whole boss fight (against the rotten duelist) trying and failing to get off comet azur, died in one hit

The game just couldn't handle all the memes that guy was combining at once.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

Oh hey it's me because I have never leveled vigor past 30.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Its probably a guy that watched a dozen "Get OP before fighting one enemy! MILLIONS OF RUNES - One shot bosses!!!!" youtubes and decided to combine them all into one character

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's hard to resist the urge to unlock more spells and more damage faster. I really have to try to remember to put points into boring poo poo like "not dying in one hit" or "being able to carry more than the bare minimum of gear" or "being able to cast spells without putting all my flasks into magic"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Oh hey it's me because I have never leveled vigor past 30.

they had plenty of vigor, they just didnt have any endurance and couldnt wear good armor. this was a high ng+ cycle so they probably had only damage boosting armor on and no damage mitigation talismans, maybe even both soreseals. they buffed before the fight but they did too many and overwrote their defense buffs. they took a big counter hit and it did like 1900 damage

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

fire giant is a looser

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Is there any secret to the bell bearing hunter in caelid? I've only got about 3 main bosses left but this guy has now killed me more times than anyone else.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I've been doing a new playthrough and rushing mainly weapons and armor so I'm a bit short on talismans now that I have 4 slots and randomly threw on Crepus's Vial (silences movement) and holy crap this thing is useful in general pve.

Cleared all of volcano manor, killing most of the enemies in like 20-30 minutes. It basically makes you immune to most ambushes and lets you take on enemies one at a time. Probably not going to wear it all the time but I'm especially excited about using it in the town with the assassins right before the haligtree.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there any secret to the bell bearing hunter in caelid? I've only got about 3 main bosses left but this guy has now killed me more times than anyone else.

Stay very close to him so that he doesn’t do his floaty sword thing. Roll through the grab and shield bash. Parry his other attacks and riposte.
Parrying makes this fight so much easier.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

BigHandsVince posted:

As mentioned, parrying is powerful, but you'll need to do it twice before you can riposte. Alternatively, they can be cheesed by hiding on the shack roof. They'll keep wandering directly underneath you into the shack, get bored, then walk away. It's slow, but well placed night maidens mist can chip away at them while they mill about.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

BigHandsVince posted:

- You can get massive amounts of damage off as he slowly spawns in, ideally big poise attacks like full charges to stagger him for a riposte before he even does anything.
- Stay close and out of medium range, his sweeping sword throws are his most dangerous attacks by far.
- Dodge his shield bash, grab and spinning sword charge up, parry his one-handed attacks.
- You really, really benefit from staying calm and just responding correctly to his attacks. He does massive damage and will knock you down and out into medium range if he hits you and everything just cascades and becomes a nightmare.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i miss upgrade materials being cooler. i miss slabs

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Unfortunately they peaked with 'blood rock'

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's possible to get the golem archer below to blast him off the cliff

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The bell bearing hunters are also really weak to guard counters if you have a big stable shield. Just gotta recognise the attacks you still need to dodge.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

they're generally not too bad, even if you're just doing the usual attack + dodge dance. i think the caelid one catches people off guard because, despite being right on the border, he has the absurd dragonbarrow scaling factor, so it's easy to get absolutely roasted by his boomerang attacks if you're not at haligtree exploration levels

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
If you don't want to beat him head to head, you can cheese him by jumping on the roof. The floating sword attack only stays at ground level, he can't angle it up towards the roof, so you can whittle him down if you have a ranged attacks/poison. Same for the one outside Leyndell, you can jump up on gravestones across from the shack.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bell bearing hunters are weakest to pierce and lightning so that's the way to go if you want to really stack your deck against them

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Their AI also sucks against sorcery, like most enemies, and they're not super aggressive. Can just mosey backward while spamming Cometshard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZwct5XkWHA

This is the best lore video on ER in a while. Melina might be Miquella?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I suppose its just my masochism shining through yet again but I'd love to see whatever FROM does next remove iframes. Something so cheesy about being invincible during those drawn out door opening animations, or just in combat in general. I dunno if you'd have to sorta abandon the largest enemies to make it work.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

I suppose its just my masochism shining through yet again but I'd love to see whatever FROM does next remove iframes. Something so cheesy about being invincible during those drawn out door opening animations, or just in combat in general. I dunno if you'd have to sorta abandon the largest enemies to make it work.

Did you play Armored Core?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been mildly curious about it but no

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

It's a fun theory to chew on, though choosing to thoroughly gloss over the cocoon and the arm to the point of going "well who's to say Mohg was actually addressing the arm as Miquella?" is pretty silly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

I've been mildly curious about it but no

I mean if you want a game with Bloodborne dashes but no iframes look no further

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I said I'd post a video of my fight against Malenia, so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFfU1MqtGpQ

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

codo27 posted:

I had some fun duels with a friend where we both used quickstep with an empty FP bar and no rolling. I think that gives you one or maybe two iframes. Positioning becomes way more important, and the fight overall looks cooler. I’m sure it would be a fun challenge run in pve too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ulio posted:

This dude doesn't know what riding sidesaddle is when he sees it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

I said I'd post a video of my fight against Malenia, so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFfU1MqtGpQ

*clang*

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I was trying to do an INT/FTH build, but Ill be honest all the sorceries feel so boring compared to incantations except for like, the high-end Comet Azur and Moon ultraspells. Meanwhile incants have basically everything you could ever want? I feel like my INT points are wasted except I'm really digging Wing of Astel and the classic Moonlight sword. Right now I'm dual wielding the Golden Order Greatsword and the Moonlight Greatsword and it's NEAT, but I struggle to find any sorceries to fill my slots with when I can have incantation access to easy bleed, lightning, holy, physical, rot, and whatever else, in all kinds of delivery packages, while sorceries just give me variations on magic missile. Of course I have the sword of Night and Flamewhatever but like, the straight sword moveset is so boring and ugly it's hard to convince myself to ever bother using it.

Should I go full FTH, and if I do, what's like... is there really actually any fun weapons that scale off FTH that have fun gimmicks like Astel's wing or the Moonlight? Is there a way to do golden order INT/FTH comboing better? Are there sorceries that aren't the INT60+ requirement spells that are worth having compared to all the great faith ones?

For the record I'm hitting RL150 and have gotten through everything but Malenia and Farum Azula so like. I've obviously been doing fine just sort of loving around with whatever I have on hand it's no big deal but I feel like I should refine my build at least somewhat in some direction at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's not much reason to run INT/FTH at RL ~150. Of course, do what is fun, but if you're looking to optimize a build, there isn't a ton of benefit to leveling both since the busted scaling on the Prince of Death Staff and Golden Order Seal don't really take over until you're 60+ in both stats. You can't hit those numbers outside of NG+ without cutting essential points from other areas.

For Faith weapons, Blasphemous Blade is the go-to. It's on par with Moonlight and Wing for being silly OP, and its gimmick is self-healing. There are other neat options like the Halo Scythe and Coded Sword, but they all suffer from dealing the worst damage type: Holy, which most of the late-game plot bosses are highly resistant to.