Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

cattledogs actually do make excellent parents. i was raised by a cattledog and he did a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://twitter.com/thatsgoodweb/status/1783858509630607416?t=caSIwAkaw23zzaTv9Sqzlg&s=19

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

watching reservoir dogs and i thought i was seeing jonah hill as nice guy eddie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Oglethorpe posted:

watching reservoir dogs and i thought i was seeing jonah hill as nice guy eddie

RIP the good Penn, taken too soon

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

come on

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i could see it yeah. especially in his Donnie Azoff getup from Wolf of Wall Street, with the hair

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i smell a prequel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

you posting this right after star wars sequel chat reminds me about how supermechagodzilla has argued that rey is for all practical intents and purposes an antisocial autistic weeaboo but everyone both inside and outside the text just ignores this because shes a conventionally attractive white woman

its kindof funny to think that everyone immediately grasps that kylo ren is a weird creepazoid but rey engaging in virtually identical behavior on the opposite side of the spectrum is just intuitively read as epic girlboss who dont take no poo poo from nobody

Funny how that tracks entirely with how autism is massively under diagnosed in women because of how completely different gendered expectations are. Also goes without saying at this point that girlboss feminism is about demanding celebration of traits and behaviour in (well-off, white, neoliberal) women that's considered abhorrent from men. (Well, the wrong kind of men)

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

cattledogs actually do make excellent parents. i was raised by a cattledog and he did a great job.

I can definitely see a cattledog being a better parent than some, but then I was raised by cats and Nintendo

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I heard it’s the most sensual and erotic movie made by humans

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raised by Cattledogs

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Raised by Cattledogs

bring it back

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Monkey Man was good as hell. Dev Patel fucks. Saw somebody say he should be Nightcrawler in a solo X-Men movie, and yeah, I could see that.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Love Lies Bleeding rules. it reminded me of good trashy De Palma; sweaty, horny neonoir pulp that has unfortunately gone out of style. really fun stuff

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

mawarannahr posted:

this is the laziest film poster idea. did they make it in final draft?

that's not an official poster. the real one is ftw

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Love Lies Bleeding rules. it reminded me of good trashy De Palma; sweaty, horny neonoir pulp that has unfortunately gone out of style. really fun stuff

yeah it's real good, and funny. glad i went into it unspoiled.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dave Attell's new special has a great ending

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Dave ftw

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

he was also on the super fly podcast recently talking about it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'll be the resident, president
I'm the fifth element
Jimmy fly snooka stone cold's how I'm
Hittin' em'
better get together
Put your hands in the sky
Stick 'em up punk
Hit 'em low, hit em high

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this is the second time I've heard this. guess I'll watch it now. love Dave Attell bring back Insomniac

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

It's funny as h*ck imo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

selec posted:

Monkey Man was good as hell. Dev Patel fucks. Saw somebody say he should be Nightcrawler in a solo X-Men movie, and yeah, I could see that.

Lol I hope he considers himself too good for such a c tier cbm

I am hyped for monkey man

Hell yea

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The (english) songs for Moana 2 are being written by a pair of young women who won a Grammy for Best Musical Theater Performance for an unofficial Bridgerton musical they did on TikTok.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

didn't you post this before along with a complementary angry momblog trying to extrapolate dale earnhardt being a bad dad to the entire concept of fatherhood in general

bluey has also been critically discussed in terms of cuck chairs and fat shaming

it truly is the most politically controversial television program of our generation

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Baby Reindeer is loving amazing, engrossed the whole way through

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Challengers good. Monkey Man good. Love Lies Bleeding good. Film good.

There's some cool small / indie stuff coming down the pipe too. Hopefully the Disney dead horse machine swinging back into action in the near future (next year?) won't completely topple this poo poo, but of course something else will come along I guess. I just want film to be good.

:negative:

Some Guy TT posted:

The (english) songs for Moana 2 are being written by a pair of young women who won a Grammy for Best Musical Theater Performance for an unofficial Bridgerton musical they did on TikTok.

Oh no, Moana 2 will be bad now.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Instinct says this is bad. This is bad, right?

Apr 27, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Apr 27, 2024

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I really hope it brings around some other attempts at that style from other directors.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

042724 posted:

Instinct cant defend poo poo

drat right

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dave Atell is a national treasure. I went to his show a decade ago and I was such a delight he bought me a drink. He was sober then and told me so and I thought that was so cool.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Attel is so amazing live, and he’s right at that perfect level of fame where he does clubs everywhere and TWICE we’ve been traveling and he was playing in the same city so we bought tix.

One was the night of my MILs funeral, great show. Wife loved it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Remulak posted:

Attel is so amazing live, and he’s right at that perfect level of fame where he does clubs everywhere and TWICE we’ve been traveling and he was playing in the same city so we bought tix.

One was the night of my MILs funeral, great show. Wife loved it.

you should of ended with "and Attell wasn't bad either"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just got back from civil war and i think i solved the mystery of why california and texas would team up to depose the president whats tripping people up on this is that they hear those words and they assume were talking about like the actual governments of those states which have radically different political priorities my theory is that in the context of civil war california and texas no longer have democratically elected authorities the state governments and federal bureaucracies physically located in those states were taken over by business plot style coups independently spearheaded by silicon valley and the texas oil industry who for all their differences agree on one thing the president must die for trying to raise taxes

now i know what youre thinking some guy tt what are you smoking ron swanson from parks and recreation is obviously supposed to be a trumplike figure why would he want to raise taxes on business to which my response is (takes another bong hit) the movie goes to ridiculous lengths to avoid explaining what the civil war is actually about even bearing in mind i was already expecting this from the way people have been describing the movie the closest we get to actual policy discussion is the scene where we find out american currency is now so heavily devalued as to be worthless even compared to canadian dollars

but the other even weirder vagueness i wasnt expecting is that despite the road trip in civil war involving constant war crime voyeurism its never actually clearly explained whether the war crime doing soldiers are with the western alliance or the president at least until the end at which point the implication seems to be that everyone wearing camo is with the western alliance and the camo wearing characters commit about as many war crimes in the final setpiece as they did in all the road trip scenes and are just as unapologetic about it if not more so

president ron swanson also seems to be implied to be evil mostly because hes played by ron swanson than for anything he ever actually says or does the closest things to evil stuff hes described as doing is having somehow gotten a third term and air strikes killing american citizens the phrasing on the latter being particularly interesting to me because while it implied to be a rhetorical kill shot like how do you fight a civil war without killing american citizens via air strikes short of just not using your airplanes at all and even if ron swanson was just air striking people for the hell of it none of the war crime voyeurism we see appears to have been caused by air strikes im not sure we even see any planes at all its mostly just artillery and helicopters

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

next id like to discuss what civil war has to say about journalism previously i discussed speed grapher as being an example of fiction about journalists that doesnt have its head up its own rear end about how important they are and this comparison ended up being far more germane than i was expecting

so to recap speed grapher the main character is a war journalist who claimed noble reasons for wanting to embed but was secretly turned on by the excitement of the assignment this forms his main personal conflict as his self awareness of this fact makes him feel shame about his own motivation and doubt about whether deep down hes any better than the wealthy epsteinesque perverts he fights against this conflict is exceptionally well rendered in a flashback where we see him repeatedly photograph a man getting shot to death in a way that makes it seem like hes fetishistically killing him with his camera

the relevance of this to civil war is that this extremely serious modern blockbuster uses the exact same drat visual presentation to argue without a trace of irony that being a war photographer is a just and noble profession and it does this multiple times its such a goddamn weird metaphor to use im still having trouble parsing what exactly the intent was the journalists in civil war never even pretend to do actual journalism they just follow soldiers around contributing to their murder scrapbook becoming more badass as they get further desensitized to the violence around them

additionally as alluded to in my previous post the guy who claims he wants to interview the president doesnt seem to have any actual questions for him he just has sick burns and when hes able to slow down the war crimes juuust enough in the last scene to be able to ask the president for his last words hes satisfied with ron swanson just going "please dont kill me" as being all that we really need to know

in summary i hope someone kills alex garland because this would actually a pretty brilliant satire if he wasnt running around making it clear that he genuinely unironically believes that the noble purpose of journalism that is essential for our society to function properly is their ability to produce snuff films

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sounds like a civil bore

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
sorry that happened

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You know what's a good movie? Kelly's Heroes

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Late Night with the Devil wasn't great or anything but was surprisingly fun for a "found footage" horror comedy. the budget actually looked lower than a 70s late night show, but the performances really elevate what couldve been truly awful. didnt even notice the AI, dont care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Late Night with the Devil wasn't great or anything but was surprisingly fun for a "found footage" horror comedy. the budget actually looked lower than a 70s late night show, but the performances really elevate what couldve been truly awful. didnt even notice the AI, dont care.

it was a good movie but i think it broke the rules too much to be a true found footage film