Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The failure is you cannot expect individuals to just spend hundreds of dollars each every year or two to keep the show going. They need an outside revenue source/production partner.

For me, I have everything I could possibly want from them in existing episodes/merch so that's not a selling point anymore, and I'm stupid and will throw them a hundred or so for a annual subscription to the stupid Gizmoplex but that's about as far as I'll go.

Edit: They should do live shows broadcast to theaters nationwide like Rifftrax does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of RiffTrax, the MST3K youtube channel is now running a RiffTrax stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiPNG5dsnA

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was torn from the thigh of Zeus. ;-*

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How about a little sugar for Happy Chef over here? :smugdog:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dawgstar posted:

Heard it in a love song. Gotta go.

Can't be wrong.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I had some time to watch but it was Cindy the swamp boy again

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Zindy's a tough one to be a frequent flier on the permaloop.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Zindy is basically 'The end! No moral': The Movie

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The razorback hat lacks the quiet dignity of a Cheese Wedge.

E:

Hey, the Tomb of the Unknown Cracker!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 28, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I am that wild man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On the wings of a snow white dove, He sends His pure sweet love...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We're going camping, and you're going to watch!

E:

Bill Corbett on Boggy Creek II:

quote:

"It's the kind of movie that seems to hate you; to wish you active harm; to kick sand in your eyes and make you cry. And for me, this was personified by Mr. Charles B. Pierce, who is apparently responsible for every single aspect, every nano-second of this cruel and unusual bit of celluloid. He chose to write and play a grim, hostile, condescending, know-it-all of a man, a character who is proven superior to everyone else in the story again and again, who drills his lousy stinking voice-over narrative into our heads every freaking minute of this film, and who then has the temerity to wrap his movie up suggesting his sour Nazi of a character is really an ecological servant of God"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

echoing the sentiment on the "shorts-a-thon" stream. maybe it's because there aren't enough shorts, or they're too short, but i've tuned in a couple of times in the past week and it's always on the same short played in the same order. they actually played two versions of the mr. b natural short back-to-back.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Heard a lot of dumping on season 13 (mostly from outside of here) but I’m watching the marathon and its as good if not better than any other modern seasons? Theres some kinks with with the simulation crew but there were similar issues with Jonah’s first rodeo.

Laughed my rear end off at the Frankie Avalon spy movie and Munchie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Balance Beam for Girls unnerves me for some reason. It just seems really grim for an instructional short, and something about all the mid-century wood paneling seems so oppressive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

weekly font posted:

Heard a lot of dumping on season 13 (mostly from outside of here) but I’m watching the marathon and its as good if not better than any other modern seasons?

That's fair. If you liked the Netflix seasons you'd probably like 13. If you didn't like the Netflix stuff, 13 probably won't change your mind.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i recently watched munchie (S13) and mac & me (S12) back to back and i'll say that in munchie the riffs felt a lot less artificially crammed in, if that makes any sense.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
13 was my favorite of the revival seasons so far. I think it helps that the movie segments were actually recorded live, as the first couple seasons had them film the theater seats and then loop in the riffs. This last season felt more natural, and the pacing of the riffing was greatly improved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a reminder for anyone watching the Rifftrax stream that Rifftrax does have its own subscription service "Friends of Rifftrax" that has their back catalog with like a three year delay.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I don't think it can be overstated how much Munchie felt like a return to form. For one thing the conflict at the heart of MST3K's framing device actually came up when Jonah refused to reenter the theater having beheld the glory of the coming of the Munchie. The movies are supposed to hurt, the test subject should not be stoked to be there as felt the case throughout the vast majority of S11-12.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

weekly font posted:

Heard a lot of dumping on season 13 (mostly from outside of here) but I’m watching the marathon and its as good if not better than any other modern seasons? Theres some kinks with with the simulation crew but there were similar issues with Jonah’s first rodeo.

Laughed my rear end off at the Frankie Avalon spy movie and Munchie.

If not for the host segments (the greenscreen sets and the really dumb plot arc), I'd say Season 13 is far and away the best reboot season. The movie selection is excellent and the riffs are funny and don't usually overwhelm the film like they did sometimes in Season 11.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sardonik posted:

I don't think it can be overstated how much Munchie felt like a return to form. For one thing the conflict at the heart of MST3K's framing device actually came up when Jonah refused to reenter the theater having beheld the glory of the coming of the Munchie. The movies are supposed to hurt, the test subject should not be stoked to be there as felt the case throughout the vast majority of S11-12.

Munchie also has the all time great riff of Jonah and the bots just screaming and running away when Munchie first appears. Which is like the most relatable reaction to seeing that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah S13 ain't bad. Emily's crew is great, and it did give us Munchie and a few other really good episodes. But then I 'd say the same thing about both other revival seasons as well. Didn't hate them, and a couple episodes from both are legit all timers.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I didn’t know S13 was recorded live, I’ll have to give one a shot now. the netflix seasons just felt kind of off to me

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

muscles like this! posted:

Munchie also has the all time great riff of Jonah and the bots just screaming and running away when Munchie first appears. Which is like the most relatable reaction to seeing that.
That was, to me, probably the highlight moment of the entire season.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The riffing in the 13th season is my favorite of the revivals- the pacing is much better. Emily and her cast is a lot of fun. The real miss for me is the dumb plot arc stuff. I'm a real Johnny about them: I don't care.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nerds love lore, I guess. When I was a kid taping midnight episodes off Comedy Central, I remember wanting to save the ones where something “significant” happened (Frank’s first episode, Timmy, Gypsy enters the theater, Joel doesn’t have time to do his invention exchange), I don’t know why, other than that as a nerd child, those things seemed important.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm so loving tired of lore

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it’s because our parents had told us stories of watching the moon landing or JFK’s assassination or Hank Aaron’s record breaking home run on live TV and we wanted / expected to receive our own versions of those events to style our lives around.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I woke up this morning to Overdrawn at the Memory Bank on the stream, which was immediately followed by The Crawling Eye. The whiplash of going from an all-timer, height-of-its-powers episode to the show operating in a tentative, proof-of-concept mode was intense.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

robot roll call posted:

I didn’t know S13 was recorded live, I’ll have to give one a shot now. the netflix seasons just felt kind of off to me

I mean they are different it was like two decades between scifi and netflix. The green screen has always felt funky to me and sometimes some new voices run together until they find their stride. Jonah’s bots sound great now.

If I had to guess why pacing is improved it might be cause Elliot Kalan doesn’t appear to be on the writing staff anymore. From what I learnes about my brief time listening to the flophouse that dude knows how to quickly run a joke into the ground.

And yeah I don’t give a poo poo about the lore but I also don’t really care about the host segments after the first time unless they consistently make me laugh. Call me a fake fan but 75% of time time I skip them even in Mike or Joel seasons. Some of the music ones absolutely slap this season though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Watching season one was interesting as a curio and fascinating in it getting renewed at all.

And I can totally see why Tom's voice was replaced, there's no energy at all compared to Kevin's and he brings up Trace's manic energy as Crow too with much better chemistry as Tom going high-brow, Crow low, and Joel/Mike somewhere between.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watching season one was interesting as a curio and fascinating in it getting renewed at all.

And I can totally see why Tom's voice was replaced, there's no energy at all compared to Kevin's and he brings up Trace's manic energy as Crow too with much better chemistry as Tom going high-brow, Crow low, and Joel/Mike somewhere between.

I think Josh finds his footing later in the season. I recommend Untamed Youth if somebody's only going to watch on season one episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ironically, Josh got a lot better in that department when he eventually came back for later projects. But yeah, I still prefer Kevin overall

Clouseau posted:

The riffing in the 13th season is my favorite of the revivals- the pacing is much better. Emily and her cast is a lot of fun. The real miss for me is the dumb plot arc stuff. I'm a real Johnny about them: I don't care.

I wasn’t really a big fan of the revolving door of hosts either (Joel himself barely got much in the way of episodes/shorts). If the show is ever revived again I’d personally vote for Emily coming back on as the full time host.

But yeah, otherwise it was a major step up from the Netflix seasons

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

weekly font posted:

I mean they are different it was like two decades between scifi and netflix. The green screen has always felt funky to me and sometimes some new voices run together until they find their stride. Jonah’s bots sound great now.

If I had to guess why pacing is improved it might be cause Elliot Kalan doesn’t appear to be on the writing staff anymore. From what I learnes about my brief time listening to the flophouse that dude knows how to quickly run a joke into the ground.

And yeah I don’t give a poo poo about the lore but I also don’t really care about the host segments after the first time unless they consistently make me laugh. Call me a fake fan but 75% of time time I skip them even in Mike or Joel seasons. Some of the music ones absolutely slap this season though.

Yeah, rifftrax proves that you don’t really need them at all. The premise of the show is charming, but you really just need the riffs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, a thing to remember about Josh's Tom is that he was like 17 when making season 1.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Well, a thing to remember about Josh's Tom is that he was like 17 when making season 1.

Though even then he had way more energy as Dr. Erhardt than he did as Tom

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

weekly font posted:

I like the Flop House, but Eliot can be a lot - I never really thought about that before, but it makes perfect sense that his tenure as head writer coincided with critical levels of joke density.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larryb posted:

Though even then he had way more energy as Dr. Erhardt than he did as Tom

Yeah, he's fine as Dr Erhardt, but doing Tom so flat just gives no range to go up or down to emote with, so it's all just :geno: with nothing for Joel and Trace to work off in the Theater.

Kelsey's Crow has the same problem initially, but the other side of it by being too forced high-energy so there's no range to come down from it, but she gets a better feel for the role over season 13 and finds a good balance like Bill's version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know it’s come up in this thread before, but part of the issue with Kelsey's Crow is that she was adr-ing over already-shot footage for some or most of her episodes. It was the other guy—who I guess just really did want to retire from performing and didn’t do anything bad—who originally shot with everyone. I can see doing it solo that way causing some problems with the performance.