Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anything important I could miss in the atomic shop or is it pretty much just finding cosmetics/building materials that look cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
extra camp slot, extra perk loadout slot imo

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Black Griffon posted:

Thanks for the screw advice.

Another question: is there any food besides seasoning and water that I should keep for crafting?

Sugar. I use a lot of it making Cranberry Relish. (+10% experience buff, but since I have herbivore and strength in numbers it's more like 25%).

Also keep any boxes of Sugar Bombs (cereal) that you find. Those are the hardest ingredient towards making Brain Bombs which with herbivore is like +6 int or something. Even if you aren't a herbivore they would probably sell to other players.

People like to stack +xp and +int buffs as high as possible before doing big XP events like Radiation Rumble.

explosivo posted:

Anything important I could miss in the atomic shop or is it pretty much just finding cosmetics/building materials that look cool?

What kind of stuff do you like? I'm a sucker for CAMP items that do fun things (like the weather changers) or generate resources (my communist collectron is my favorite thing in my camp) so I tend to buy those up. I also like a lot of the big prefab buildings since I would rather use those then place individual walls/floors/etc. My camp right now utilizes the makeshift mega mansion and the pittsburgh palace.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 28, 2024

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So let's say I wanted to play 76. Is there a story with an end now? I can't be bothered to care about multiplayer in a singleplayer game series.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What kind of stuff do you like? I'm a sucker for CAMP items that do fun things (like the weather changers) or generate resources (my communist collectron is my favorite thing in my camp) so I tend to buy those up. I also like a lot of the big prefab buildings since I would rather use those then place individual walls/floors/etc. My camp right now utilizes the makeshift mega mansion and the pittsburgh palace.

Well I like the cosmetics like different building parts and costumes but I'd rather buy something with a practical in game use like the loadouts lots Flesh Forge mentioned before dipping into any of the cosmetics. Probably going to grab the loadout/CAMP slot because I can see those being useful.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So let's say I wanted to play 76. Is there a story with an end now? I can't be bothered to care about multiplayer in a singleplayer game series.

There's a lot of story but it's open ended or else the game wouldn't be able to keep going

Play it as a completely solo game if that's your thing - ignore all the players entirely. It's 100% possible and people do it everyday.

The only better time to start playing 76 is yesterday.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Do enemies in 76 ever stop being bullet sponges? Random ones like feral ghouls

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Blue Raider posted:

Do enemies in 76 ever stop being bullet sponges? Random ones like feral ghouls

They generally go down in one punch for me :madmax:

But yes, eventually you get better weapons and they stop leveling up at 50 or 75 depending on location.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Otacon posted:

There's a lot of story but it's open ended or else the game wouldn't be able to keep going

Play it as a completely solo game if that's your thing - ignore all the players entirely. It's 100% possible and people do it everyday.

The only better time to start playing 76 is yesterday.

well do join a random casual team but then yeah go do whatever you want solo, your teammates can be anywhere on the server and you don't actually need to interact with them to get the various benefits of "being on a team"
no it's not a very intuitive set of mechanics

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

They generally go down in one punch for me :madmax:

But yes, eventually you get better weapons and they stop leveling up at 50 or 75 depending on location.

That’s good, because it’s getting really boring. I just fought a raider in power armor for a Crater quest Missing Persons, and I completely broke two guns from full durability and used around 350 .44 rounds. That loving sucks, so I’m glad it doesn’t stay this way

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are there like, beginner tips for Fallout 4? I'm getting frustrated enough to consider putting this game back down. I'm trying to do like, the second mission the Brotherhood of Steel has given me to find a lost patrol. This ends up at a satellite array full of super mutants, one of whom is perched up high with a rocket launcher that will kill me in one hit, and he *will* hit me with his height advantage when I look away. Most of the enemy's favorite tactic is to just rush to melee which makes it really hard to shoot them and all my guns do diddly damage anyway, while I take a ton of it. Should I come back with power armor? Do something else? I just don't feel like I'm playing the game right.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Are there like, beginner tips for Fallout 4? I'm getting frustrated enough to consider putting this game back down. I'm trying to do like, the second mission the Brotherhood of Steel has given me to find a lost patrol. This ends up at a satellite array full of super mutants, one of whom is perched up high with a rocket launcher that will kill me in one hit, and he *will* hit me with his height advantage when I look away. Most of the enemy's favorite tactic is to just rush to melee which makes it really hard to shoot them and all my guns do diddly damage anyway, while I take a ton of it. Should I come back with power armor? Do something else? I just don't feel like I'm playing the game right.

The game gets harder the farther you get away from the NW: https://www.gamepressure.com/fallout4/world-map-enemy-levels/z18342

A rocket launcher dude is always gonna be a threat, but if you're having trouble dealing with everything else at the Satellite Array, go do some more stuff in the NW, then come back. Gaining levels, getting more points in damage perks to match the weapons you're using, that kind of stuff, all that will make a big difference. You have a lot of time after finishing the quest you're on before more Brotherhood stuff starts, so don't worry that you're going to fall behind on plot or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Because of the tv show I decided to give Fallout 4 a chance

Earlier a Deathclaw threw around some cars

I am now exploring and one of the cars it threw around is blocking a door I want to explore

Any workarounds

Is this the Bethesda magic I’ve been missing out on

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SettingSun posted:

You can't really take down Super Mutants early level. I tried with my latest run with the mission the robots give you, and they are bullet sponges that will just merk you with a rocket launcher or some poo poo and you can't help it. Well, I guess you can, but anyway. Run to the big city as soon as you can, they give you a bunch of lower level missions. The one about paint is sort of a trap in that you have to kill an enemy way above your level, and you have to abuse the mechanics a little to manage this comfortably, but a lot of them are just running around doing poo poo and maybe finding guns that aren't plinkly little pea shooters.

You will feel a lot more powerful when you get your power armor, but it probably shouldn't be your first goal. Get a couple levels in the perk that lets you modify guns, make yourself a sniper rifle from anything you can get your hands on, and start murdering folks from a safe distance. Even the early game map gives you plenty of places where you can do that with impunity, and one of the funner things of F4 is trying to get as high up as possible on any given building in the big city ruins, see if you can spot some raiders, and start shooting.

Steve Yun posted:

Because of the tv show I decided to give Fallout 4 a chance

Earlier a Deathclaw threw around some cars

I am now exploring and one of the cars it threw around is blocking a door I want to explore

Any workarounds

Is this the Bethesda magic I’ve been missing out on

You can blow up the car, but I'm not sure that'd remove the physical obstacle!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Basically, you run around playing single-player with a bunch of other people on the map and occasionally get to see some great camps they made. It is actually pretty fun now

Take the level 20 start when it asks, it is actually a much better experience than the level 1 start. They give you good weapons, items, and perks to start off with, better than you would actually get by level 20. Plus, this way, the story-line isn't partially gated until you grind to level 20.

Join casual groups for free intelligence boosts. Nobody actually groups together, they just join for the INT boost to get extra EXP.

Inventory management is the worst thing about the game

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Blue Raider posted:

That’s good, because it’s getting really boring. I just fought a raider in power armor for a Crater quest Missing Persons, and I completely broke two guns from full durability and used around 350 .44 rounds. That loving sucks, so I’m glad it doesn’t stay this way

You probably want something stronger than a .44 if you're fighting someone in power armor. That won't ever get easy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

You probably want something stronger than a .44 if you're fighting someone in power armor. That won't ever get easy.

10-4. Any recs for a type of gun to optimize DPS? I’m level 52. Idk if this question is all that answerable for this game, for the record. There’s a lot going on in 76

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

at that point it depends a lot on what perk cards you currently have to work with, what weapon perks do you have?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Semi auto handgun right now, but I can shuffle them to assault rifle if need be.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Buddy and I got into 76 cuz it's free, and we're v pleasantly surprised so far. It handles things a lot more like FO4 than I expected!

And best of all, the most important FO4 mod is available in 76: Lowered Weapons!

Also, regarding bullet sponge enemies - make sure your weapons and perks are on par with the content you're doing. I'm not at 50 yet but so far as long as I keep my weapons updated and my perks set up right, things feel like they die properly. My buddy and I cleared a camp out earlier with him running-and-gunning while I sniped from a hilltop, and I was oneshotting dudes with my hunting rifle.

Game is fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m not trying to poke holes in the show’s writing, or defend the sanctity of the video game lore or whatever, but was it ever established/implied in the games that Vault Tec was quite as uninhibitedly rich and powerful as depicted in the show?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

Semi auto handgun right now, but I can shuffle them to assault rifle if need be.

yyyyyyyyeah if you are having a bad time killing hard stuff that may be the root cause. if you have perks for it, you will probably feel a lot better with something like a VATS commando build with a quad railway rifle, if you have legendary cores/modules or if you can buy one at somebody's camp. you don't have to have some flawless roll, just go for a 1-star Quad and it will likely change your perception of the game. you don't need to be stealthy or worry about low health gear or whatever, just run kinda near enemies, VATS and shoot them in the head a bit. quad is just to keep you from needing to reload as often because frankly a non-legendary railway rifle does like a billion damage in a (very, very fast) burst.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm around lvl 125 with 3 star legendaries and i can neither do significant damage nor craft enough ammo to use my guns lol

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rinkles posted:

I’m not trying to poke holes in the show’s writing, or defend the sanctity of the video game lore or whatever, but was it ever established/implied in the games that Vault Tec was quite as uninhibitedly rich and powerful as depicted in the show?

As the series goes on Vault-Tec gets retroactively bigger and more powerful, though realistically even going from the start of the series any company that can do the things Vault-Tec did is on a level of power beyond even what real corporations can reach (so far).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

titties posted:

I'm around lvl 125 with 3 star legendaries and i can neither do significant damage nor craft enough ammo to use my guns lol

What guns? 3 star legendaries rain from the sky at higher level and most are garbage.

The most popular guns are probably fixers, handmades, and railway guns. Most heavy weapons are also pretty good (gatling guns, flamers, plasma casters, plasma guns, etc). Cold shoulder is an excellent shotgun, and both auto axe and chainsaw melee builds can be pretty good (obviously a little tougher to tag things in events though).

I just did an EN and had a quad railway rifle drop with -25% AP cost... unfortunately the remaining star is +bash damage. So close!

One gun/build I swear by, and I've posted about it in this thread before, is the Holy Fire flamer. It's a reward from doing the Beast of Burden event and, out of the box, it is already insanely powerful. It's basically a vampire flamer with a built in damage bonus (vampire means it heals you while you do damage). Get the bigger tank and the napalm mod and it just melts almost everything after you loadout with the appropriate perks. It doesn't annihilate the SBQ in 30 seconds like a bloodied build using a godroll railway rifle, but I've been using it with power armor and I'm basically immortal (just beware poison if you don't have union armor or the legendary +poison resist perk).

Another good heavy quest reward .50 cal is 'Final Word' (not as good as Holy Fire but it's my favorite backup weapon).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 29, 2024

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What guns? 3 star legendaries rain from the sky at higher level and most are garbage.

The most popular guns are probably fixers, handmades, and railway guns. Most heavy weapons are also pretty good (gatling guns, flamers, plasma casters, plasma guns, etc). Cold shoulder is an excellent shotgun, and both auto axe and chainsaw melee builds can be pretty good (obviously a little tougher to tag things in events though).

I just did an EN and had a quad railway rifle drop with -25% AP cost... unfortunately the remaining star is +bash damage. So close!

One gun/build I swear by, and I've posted about it in this thread before, is the Holy Fire flamer. It's a reward from doing the Beast of Burden event and, out of the box, it is already insanely powerful. It's basically a vampire flamer with a built in damage bonus (vampire means it heals you while you do damage). Get the bigger tank and the napalm mod and it just melts almost everything after you loadout with the appropriate perks. It doesn't annihilate the SBQ in 30 seconds like a bloodied build using a godroll railway rifle, but I've been using it with power armor and I'm basically immortal (just beware poison if you don't have union armor or the legendary +poison resist perk).

Another good heavy quest reward .50 cal is 'Final Word' (not as good as Holy Fire but it's my favorite backup weapon).

I have regular stuff like a vampire's handmade, anti armor combat rifle, final word, vampire's gatling plasma, 2-shot grenade launcher.

My big problem is never enough ammo, and no interest in playing one of the mutant or 1 hp builds

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing fallout 4. I hated it on launch but coming back expecting nothing I'm having fun. There's not much strong story stuff happening, but playing a nerd and tinkering with my suit of power armour then heading out to fill a bunch of hapless freaks with lead is fun.

It's weird that you can't build an ammo bench unless you have high charisma.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The trap is that you will eventually be storing all your junk on one ammo bench, so pick it well. There is one on the Prydwen that's one of your best bets, especially if you don't want to interact with the Minutemen that much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rappaport posted:

The trap is that you will eventually be storing all your junk on one ammo bench, so pick it well. There is one on the Prydwen that's one of your best bets, especially if you don't want to interact with the Minutemen that much.

Ok cool there's one in the world. I thought you could only get it through the settlement. I've just been using it as a base to tinker with things and be an unlikeable nerd to people. Maybe I should join the BoS after all (purely to access their stuff and use it to do science).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

JBP posted:

Ok cool there's one in the world. I thought you could only get it through the settlement. I've just been using it as a base to tinker with things and be an unlikeable nerd to people. Maybe I should join the BoS after all (purely to access their stuff and use it to do science).

There are more, you can find random ones in abandoned houses. If we're talking about a weapon's bench, I mistook you there. You just generally want to accumulate all your teddy bears in one place.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Who cares

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
How playable is FO76 as a single player experience?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rappaport posted:

There are more, you can find random ones in abandoned houses. If we're talking about a weapon's bench, I mistook you there. You just generally want to accumulate all your teddy bears in one place.

I meant ammo crafting. Yeah, I consolidate everything at my bench in Sanctuary rn but I don't see myself doing the minutemen stuff (it's lame) so I might relocate elsewhere with better shopping. Maybe Goodneighbor lol.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

SweetBro posted:

it's extremely solo-able, you'll be by yourself 98+% of the time unless you make a concerted effort to play with someone in particular

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man Fallout 4 has a lot of mob rushes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

this game is good

I found this person while playing

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
That's just someone who unlocked the legendary Wendigo class

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

SweetBro posted:

You can play almost the entire game without ever interacting with another player.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Multiplayer in 76 is just like in Diablo 4. They’re just there in the world with you but don’t interfere at all. Occasionally you’ll be doing the same activity as some other players, but that’s not so much teamwork as it is everyone shooting at the scorchbeast queen or some other event boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Wow, the dailies in F76 are really loving bad... If this is what a good chunk of the endgame consists of, I may not go much further.

I've already had two bug out on me.