Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

We can only theorise, but the math indicates that the table becomes infinitely long and not even light can reach the end. This would mean it takes an infinite amount of time for accurate information to reach Putin, so no change lol

loving math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Ah yes the Blyat Hole. Putin's shittiness reaches such density that the final piece of information forms a true event horizon of poo poo. A final diaper filling beyond which we can not know.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sedgr posted:

Blyat Hole

:trumppop:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the Cykalarity

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I hear it like soundgarden sent a warning.

Blyat Hole Son dont you come, to wash away Ukraine!
Blyat Hole Son dont you come, don't you come!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

gently caress your economy! :troll:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Isn't the Guardian owned by that Australian dickhead too

murdoch is american
everyone knows this
we chucked him out 40 years ago for not complying with reasonable laws

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

gently caress your economy! :troll:

Yeah the US said no!

Wait. Why does that matter to Ukraine? They aren't in the US.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Carlos Lantana posted:

murdoch is american
everyone knows this
we chucked him out 40 years ago for not complying with reasonable laws

got it. I know now I was wrong, and am sorry for being misinformed

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Critical infrastructure in critical condition.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Sedgr posted:

the Blyat Hole

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah the US said no!

Wait. Why does that matter to Ukraine? They aren't in the US.

it should, but the US said yes and gave Ukraine a shitload of money and weapons

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

please do not post pictures of Vladimir Putin

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it should, but the US said yes and gave Ukraine a shitload of money and weapons

Point. I hope the support helps. It is funny that US was like " Dont do that" and Ukraine was like " eh maybe well stop but probably not" and then the Us was like "good enough heres your material"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Real question: Can Ukraine win a war of attrition more realistically than Russia? Assuming this constant drumbeat of attacks within Russian territory continues.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what happens when Putin dies, who is going to take over Russia?

Part of Putin's policy of making himself irreplaceable is making sure that there is no clear candidate. The people who constitutionally gain power on his death are hand-picked so that they are not suitable candidates to actually replace him.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

Real question: Can Ukraine win a war of attrition more realistically than Russia? Assuming this constant drumbeat of attacks within Russian territory continues.

no

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost
remember back in 2005 when Ukraine controlled Crimea
That was a wild time

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

why not?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Contrary to positions held in 2022-23, russia really does have the political will to use Enough people as disposable ordnance and even the horrific casualty rates are not enough to destabilize russia by putting pressure on the populations of st petersburg and moscow. The estimates are that ukraine kills 5 russians for every ukranian killed and that is still not enough for ukraine to win. The 80s-90s era 'reformers' that complained that american wonder tech was garbage and the focus should be on throwing a bunch of infantry at the problem were wrong about the american military, but are, in the case of russia, sadly correct.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 29, 2024

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

russia has a larger population (and more importantly more ability to "conscript") and more ability to bury ukraine in bodies and wear down their fighting force. no matter how heroic and brave and etc the ukrainians are they are gonna run out of people who can/will fight eventually. thats what a war of attrition is.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Ronwayne posted:

Contrary to positions held in 22-23, russia really does have the political will to use Enough people as disposable ordnance and even the horrific casualty rates are not enough to destabilize russia by putting pressure on the populations of st petersburg and moscow. The estimates are that ukraine kills 5 russians for every ukranian killed and that is still not enough for ukraine to win. The 80s-90s era 'reformers' that complained that american wonder tech was garbage and the focus should be on throwing a bunch of infantry at the problem were wrong about the american military, but are, in the case of russia, sadly correct.
Its been two years. I thought russia wanted to be a superpower. 5 to 1 is worse than the USSR did in WWII

Mumpy Puffinz fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 29, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tankies suddenly really big fans of US controlled oil interests and their continued profit making

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Tankies suddenly really big fans of US controlled oil interests and their continued profit making

We should attack Yemen

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mentioned the attacks in Russia specifically, because I think they are going to start having real consequences soon enough, if not now. Every week another refinery goes down, another electrical station, another pipeline. While the front is mostly static, Ukraine is wrecking real havoc deep within Russia, all over, and that is what I ask when I ask if Ukraine can win a war of attrition. The battle lines on the front are largely static. Yet Ukraine is lighting up targets all over, deep within Russia.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

redshirt posted:

I mentioned the attacks in Russia specifically, because I think they are going to start having real consequences soon enough, if not now. Every week another refinery goes down, another electrical station, another pipeline. While the front is mostly static, Ukraine is wrecking real havoc deep within Russia, all over, and that is what I ask when I ask if Ukraine can win a war of attrition. The battle lines on the front are largely static. Yet Ukraine is lighting up targets all over, deep within Russia.

Russia has demonstrated that it will retaliate on energy infrastructure in Ukraine in response to the oil industry attacks in Russia and thats absolutely not a sustainable trade for Ukraine.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Its been two years. I thought russia wanted to be a superpower. 5 to 1 is worse than the USSR did in WWII

A lot of the things that were overexaggerated or outright myths about the red army (meat waves, enemy at the gates memes, etc) were made unironically true by the modern russian military. It doesn't matter if they're doing worse than the soviet union did, war is graded on a curve, and the only other country being tested is ukraine, who is doing worse due to having less of everything.

Telsa Cola posted:

Russia has demonstrated that it will retaliate on energy infrastructure in Ukraine in response to the oil industry attacks in Russia and thats absolutely not a sustainable trade for Ukraine.

Nothing is a sustainable trade for ukraine, and not attacking russian infrastructure will not keep russia from trying to immisserate* ukraine any way it can.

*the syrian civil war unfortunately proved you can in fact just torture a civilian population until it gives up the will to resist. Ukraine has less of a chance with an insurgency since i think russia will simply filter camp/force move/exterminate the locals and you can't have an insurgency if there are no civilians left to hide in.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 29, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Ronwayne posted:

A lot of the things that were overexaggerated or outright myths about the red army (meat waves, enemy at the gates memes, etc) were made unironically true by the modern russian military. It doesn't matter if they're doing worse than the soviet union did, war is graded on a curve, and the only other country being tested is ukraine, who is doing worse due to having less of everything.

stop sucking Putins dick

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Ronwayne posted:

Contrary to positions held in 2022-23, russia really does have the political will to use Enough people as disposable ordnance and even the horrific casualty rates are not enough to destabilize russia by putting pressure on the populations of st petersburg and moscow. The estimates are that ukraine kills 5 russians for every ukranian killed and that is still not enough for ukraine to win. The 80s-90s era 'reformers' that complained that american wonder tech was garbage and the focus should be on throwing a bunch of infantry at the problem were wrong about the american military, but are, in the case of russia, sadly correct.

Russia is already plenty unstable, maybe that's why they haven't noticed it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Ronwayne posted:

Nothing is a sustainable trade for ukraine, and not attacking russian infrastructure will not keep russia from trying to immisserate* ukraine any way it can.

*the syrian civil war proved you can in fact just torture a civilian population until it gives up the will to resist.

this is grossest thing I have heard in years.
And I watch Hollywood movies

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

stop sucking Putins dick

Try and stop me

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this is grossest thing I have heard in years.
And I watch Hollywood movies

That's the sort of thing that happens to places that fall under russian control, either directly or via their client states. It is apparently not a sufficient motivator for other countries to aid ukraine to keep it happening to them.

Avirosb posted:

Russia is already plenty unstable, maybe that's why they haven't noticed it.

I mean, so long as they keep the dozen-spinning-plates-on-sticks trick going, aided by a complete disrespect for human life, its Stable Enough for the purpose of squashing its neighbor(s).

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 29, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Try and stop me

you do what you want King

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Ronwayne posted:

That's the sort of thing that happens to places that fall under russian control, either directly or via their client states. It is apparently not a sufficient motivator for other countries to aid ukraine to keep it happening to them.

I mean, so long as they keep the dozen-spinning-plates-on-sticks trick going, powered by a complete disrespect for human life, its Stable Enough for the purpose of squashing its neighbor(s).

keep taking up Russia. I love it. I live in a red state that is going purple.
my favorite colors

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Ronwayne posted:

I mean, so long as they keep the dozen-spinning-plates-on-sticks trick going, aided by a complete disrespect for human life, its Stable Enough for the purpose of squashing its neighbor(s).

I have been avoiding the world stage for a while. You are really winning me over

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I have been avoiding the world stage for a while. You are really winning me over

why dont you go take your meds, youve had enough for today

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

redshirt posted:

The latest Anders video suggests yes assuming continued West/NATO support: "a long war of attrition does not favor them [Russia]", so they are aiming to take whatever territory they can, then turn whatever is left of Ukraine into a failed state. "I'm not saying this Russian strategy will work, in fact, I think it won't..."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

The latest Anders video suggests yes assuming continued West/NATO support: "a long war of attrition does not favor them [Russia]", so they are aiming to take whatever territory they can, then turn whatever is left of Ukraine into a failed state. "I'm not saying this Russian strategy will work, in fact, I think it won't..."

I unironically hope this is true and happens sooner rather than later.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

AnacondaHL posted:

probably going to nuke them aren't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Ronwayne posted:

It's squashing itself too. The ex-cons are starting to make trouble, the constant mystery fires,
Hot Dog man walking on Moscow until he got cold feet, Russia running out of replacement parts for what-have-you.
Sanctions won't stop either even if Putin succeeds at extending his borders with NATO.

They can't even properly commit to the meatwave tactic,
and any eventual gains will come crashing down the moment Putin bites it.