Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

you broke my grill posted:

the fate of unauthorized fishermen

Sea Patrol FTW

Four guys executing three guys but 3/4 are shooting the one guy on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Sea Patrol FTW

Four guys executing three guys but 3/4 are shooting the one guy on the right.

His crime was especially heinous: operating and unlicensed SCUBA shop.

E: this was such a specific surreal special interest for autistic outsider art, i'd almost forgotten about it but it's amazing:

https://www.aappleyard.com/seapatrol/_story.htm

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Apr 29, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what ?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Some fucko failson invented the nonsense word quiet quitting so that other fucko failsons like them could write rubbish articles about it for "publications".

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

quiet quitting is when you do your job and go home at the time your shift ends, and dont do extra unpaid work or overtime. its very hurtful for managers :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Devious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spechtie posted:

quiet quitting is when you do your job and go home at the time your shift ends, and dont do extra unpaid work or overtime. its very hurtful for managers :(

right I thought quitting meant not working but it actual means working ?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

you're not giving your all, like you've given up on yourself.... you're quitting life

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

euphronius posted:

right I thought quitting meant not working but it actual means working ?

https://www.personio.com/hr-lexicon/quiet-quitting/

quote:

Quiet quitting is when employees continue to put in the minimum amount of effort to keep their jobs, but don’t go the extra mile for their employer.
This might mean not speaking up in meetings, not volunteering for tasks, and refusing to work overtime.

quote:

When an employee engages in quiet quitting, they stop going above and beyond for their employer and simply do the bare minimum possible to avoid getting fired.

In practice, this might mean:

Not volunteering for extra work, leadership roles or responsibilities

Not speaking up in meetings unless addressed directly

Not responding to emails or messages outside of work hours

Turning down work outside of their job description

Becoming isolated from the rest of the team and avoiding social events

Taking a more-than-usual number of sick days (absenteeism)

It's when workers realized extra effort isn't rewarded, raises aren't coming, and management doesn't have their back. So they just do what is in their job description.

Seems similar to something school teachers here do sometimes instead of striking, "work to rule". They don't do anything outside their contracts, no running clubs after hours, no buying school supplies on their own dime. And then the schools fall to pieces because they can't run if teachers don't "volunteer" to do a bunch of free stuff. Quiet quitting is like that, but without even telling managers that you're doing it because you've lost hope that better things are possible.

Facebook Aunt has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Apr 29, 2024

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like 85% of workers are quiet quitters

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Work to rule always implied a more malicious compliance to me but yeah basically

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

quote:

Not volunteering for extra work, leadership roles or responsibilities

Not speaking up in meetings unless addressed directly

Not responding to emails or messages outside of work hours

Turning down work outside of their job description

Becoming isolated from the rest of the team and avoiding social events

Taking a more-than-usual number of sick days (absenteeism)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

volunteering for extra work lol

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Oh man, I forgot about that thread. is it archived somewhere?

e: saw it linked upthread, nm

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

euphronius posted:

volunteering for extra work lol

someone I know has to work an unpaid day of mandatory labor for the organization's "volunteering day" PR event. it's a public agency with hourly pay. they have to be there cause their manager said members of some staff organization have to attend to organize the volunteers. no pay though. lol

it's stuff like hard farm labor too. I think some for private companies!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

someone I know has to work an unpaid day of mandatory labor for the organization's "volunteering day" PR event. it's a public agency with hourly pay. they have to be there cause their manager said members of some staff organization have to attend to organize the volunteers. no pay though. lol

it's stuff like hard farm labor too. I think some for private companies!

That's insane. We do these type of things at my office but they are optional and paid. That said, the last one was at a food packing plant that made pre-fab meal packages and they neglected to inform people that it was an explicitly evangelical organization. The 3 hour process involved multiple prayers and watching a movie exhorting Jesus and such.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's insane. We do these type of things at my office but they are optional and paid. That said, the last one was at a food packing plant that made pre-fab meal packages and they neglected to inform people that it was an explicitly evangelical organization. The 3 hour process involved multiple prayers and watching a movie exhorting Jesus and such.

That sucks but even as a gay atheist I'd enjoy watching a movie about Jesus if it was paid

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

why these dudes using gu-11 gunpods, are they zentradi

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

tokin opposition posted:

That sucks but even as a gay atheist I'd enjoy watching a movie about Jesus if it was paid

it'd be pretty funny to get up and be like "why are you showing a movie about some communist!"
as we all know, lenin said jesus was the first communist and it'd be pretty funny to try to argue with so called evangelicals by pointing out all the differences between what they're regularly peddling and what jesus actually advocated.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Salvor_Hardin posted:

When I was working in agriculture our company was partnered with a local food donation thing where the concept was they took loads of crops that were less than picture perfect (and likely would have otherwise been dumped or scrapped for animal feed), sorted them into produce boxes, and gave them to the needy. Good idea of course and so when a (paid) volunteer opportunity from my company came up I went for it just to check it out.

You could kind of tell something was up from looking at the building which had a parking lot full of fancy cars and a lobby/conference rooms that was like a swanky law office or something. Anyways we got quickly shepherded to the back warehouse where they'd drop pallets of apples or onions or w/e and we'd sort through and fill up the donation boxes. It immediately became apparent that the bulk of the produce had been improperly stored and was spoiling, our directives were not to toss it unless over 50% was rotting lol. Clearly some tax writeoff garbage and all we were really accomplishing was moving stuff that probably should have already been thrown away from big containers into smaller containers which would then likely immediately be thrown away.

The "administrators" on site "running" the operation spent the entire time just browsing their cell phones, all the people working were volunteers from various local agg businesses.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Apr 29, 2024

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

PoundSand posted:

When I was working in agriculture our company was partnered with a local food donation thing where the concept was they took loads of crops that were less than picture perfect (and likely would have otherwise been dumped or scrapped for animal feed), sorted them into produce boxes, and gave them to the needy. Good idea of course and so when a (paid) volunteer opportunity from my company came up I went for it just to check it out.

You could kind of tell something was up from looking at the building which had a parking lot full of fancy cars and a lobby/conference rooms that was like a swanky law office or something. Anyways we got quickly shepherded to the back warehouse where they'd drop pallets of apples or onions or w/e and we'd sort through and fill up the donation boxes. It immediately became apparent that the bulk of the produce had been improperly stored and was spoiling, our directives were not to toss it unless over 50% was rotting lol. Clearly some tax writeoff garbage and all we were really accomplishing was moving stuff that probably should have already been thrown away from big containers into smaller containers which would then likely immediately be thrown away.

Oof, thats awful.

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah, it was fine and I was able to laugh at it with some friends. But I'm salaried and WFH so I could have been paid to post like every other day.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

why these dudes using gu-11 gunpods, are they zentradi

they are members of SEA PATROL. It is a heavily militarized fascist organization with an unlimited budget for flamethrowers, jetpacks, and diver-eating submersibles.

The sole remit of SEA PATROL is to stop unauthorized recreational divers from doing amatuer SCUBA after it was outlawed, and they will deploy lethal force and summary executions to do so.

To be clear, the authorial voice tells us that this is a good thing and the hobbyist divers have it coming.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757384&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It is one of my favorite pieces of Unwell Brain Outsider Art ever to exist on the internet.

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Apr 29, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
powerful message

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ardent Communist posted:

it'd be pretty funny to get up and be like "why are you showing a movie about some communist!"
as we all know, lenin said jesus was the first communist and it'd be pretty funny to try to argue with so called evangelicals by pointing out all the differences between what they're regularly peddling and what jesus actually advocated.

You have never actually tried to do this have you, it is not as fun as you're imagining

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

they are members of SEA PATROL. It is a heavily militarized fascist organization with an unlimited budget for flamethrowers, jetpacks, and diver-eating submersibles.

The sole remit of SEA PATROL is to stop unauthorized recreational divers from doing amatuer SCUBA after it was outlawed, and they will deploy lethal force and summary executions to do so.

To be clear, the authorial voice tells us that this is a good thing and the hobbyist divers have it coming.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757384&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It is one of my favorite pieces of Unwell Brain Outsider Art ever to exist on the internet.

SEA PATROL is great and if anyone doesn't know what it is they really need to find out right away yeah.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Owlbear Camus posted:

this is incredible

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

quoting to read later

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Owlbear Camus posted:

Wow, the bizzaro peter watts

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Woah the SEA PATROL assets site is still active and the guy was still updating in 2021

https://www.renderosity.com/users/id:659

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

YES DESTROY THOSE SCOOBY DOOS

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Woah the SEA PATROL assets site is still active and the guy was still updating in 2021

His SEA PATROL illustrations are still up on the "pickaxe handle" and "helicopter backpack" wikipedia pages.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Salvor_Hardin posted:

this should be the thread title

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SEA PATROL is proof that the American healthcare system works. In a system with access to proper treatment for schizophrenia, it could never have been made

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

SEA PATROL is proof that the American healthcare system works. In a system with access to proper treatment for schizophrenia, it could never have been made

He's British as hell but ok, sure

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For some god-drat reason I seriously thought this was some kind of visualization about the very failed American invasion of Venezuela in 2020.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For some god-drat reason I seriously thought this was some kind of visualization about the very failed American invasion of Venezuela in 2020.

the beams aren't yellow

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mawarannahr posted:

I got an ad for a $165 shower head with a subscription filter program
The Filtered Shower Head | Protect Your Hair & Skin

ey ma, I gotta subscribe to the dripini

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

raverrn posted:

the beams aren't yellow

If you thought I thought it was a realistic representation of said event, I have to say it hurt.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

YES DESTROY THOSE SCOOBY DOOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

I got an ad for a $165 shower head with a subscription filter program
The Filtered Shower Head | Protect Your Hair & Skin

Before we're done talking about this y'all need to see how comically huge it is because that picture doesn't really capture the scale well: