Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Asterite34 posted:

So I finally caught up after missing the last couple episodes for various reasons, and I have thoughts:

-Shuro is an irritable tool, but I'm willing to cut him some slack cuz dude has been running on Red Bull and instant ramen and maybe three hours' sleep the last week as he's speedran the Dungeon, emotions are gonna run kinda hot.

Don't forget learning Falin died (what should have been) the true death, was resurrected by an unholy ritual, then somehow turned into an affront to nature who just brutally murdered his entire group (mother figure included) in front of him. That would be a pretty bad day even without the sleep deprivation and hunger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think the thing is that a lot of people mistakenly think dungeon meshi is a less sexual work than the anime baseline because it doesn’t have painted-on clothing and constant pantyshots of the female cast, when the truth is that it’s extremely horny, Ryoko Kui is just a monster-fucker

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It is absolutely a less sexual work than the anime baseline, lets not get Star Wars prequels revisionist here.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think the thing is that a lot of people mistakenly think dungeon meshi is a less sexual work than the anime baseline because it doesn’t have painted-on clothing and constant pantyshots of the female cast, when the truth is that it’s extremely horny, Ryoko Kui is just a monster-fucker

I feel like Ryuko Kui is part of the informal fraternity (or well, sorority I guess) that includes Paru Itagaki and Q Hayashida of "Female mangaka that explore both eroticism and messed up violence/cannibalism, though that full combination might not be apparent from page 1"

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 29, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I always like it when you start picking up on the stuff that makes a creator tick, as long as they are not like, bad about it. Reading all of Ryoko Kui's stuff I slowly been getting a sense of her preoccupations and like its always weird and interesting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It depends what you are counting as the series because a lot of the more overt stuff is in the extras.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 29, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The bath scene felt a lot more indulgent than this to me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

The bath scene felt a lot more indulgent than this to me.

It is much more in the anime adaptation and really plays up the yuri angle. In the manga, if I recall correctly, it starts off with Marcille on the outside of the tub when she checks on Falin's damage.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think things just feels more overt in motion, those manga pages aren't exactly subtle on the wlw front either.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 29, 2024

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DrSunshine posted:

It is much more in the anime adaptation and really plays up the yuri angle. In the manga, if I recall correctly, it starts off with Marcille on the outside of the tub when she checks on Falin's damage.

She starts off outside... washing Falin's back, then hops in the tub to look for damage. It is not really less yuri, I would say, though it does give you a better idea of the layout of the room.

The manga generally does a better job setting the scene, I feel like a lot of scenes in the anime are just set in perfectly square rooms (probably easier to render).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Did everyone just forget we had dryads having on screen sex like one episode ago....?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kassad posted:

Don't forget learning Falin died (what should have been) the true death, was resurrected by an unholy ritual, then somehow turned into an affront to nature who just brutally murdered his entire group (mother figure included) in front of him.

And he's got a weird boner now he doesnt want to think about.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Did everyone just forget we had dryads having on screen sex like one episode ago....?

with their stamens and pistils! :O

And Senshi is in every episode!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
sigh

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wish I knew better words for:

Horny (made on purpose for a narrow definition of horny to sell figurines)
And
Horny (many humans (sometimes monsters) have sex and enjoy it in a variety of ways)

And the latter is refreshing to see in anime.

I think the series also does a good job of portraying how people interact with their sexuality while, basically, at work. Lots of times it simply doesn't come up. Sometimes there's dryads.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Begemot posted:

She starts off outside... washing Falin's back, then hops in the tub to look for damage. It is not really less yuri, I would say, though it does give you a better idea of the layout of the room.

The manga generally does a better job setting the scene, I feel like a lot of scenes in the anime are just set in perfectly square rooms (probably easier to render).

It was this scene that makes me think that, while Marcille has a massive girlcrush on Falin, Falin doesn't really reciprocate. She seems more embarrassed than anything.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yep

Page in question - spoilered for chimera-boob

Man, the manga art is definitely more striking to me for some reason. Kinda wish people had a higher opinion of the official translation. Also yeah, does seem somewhat less horny than the anime but I’m watching a Trigger joint, it was weird they took seventeen episodes to indulge (more than the manga did).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, she is really really good artist lol.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Aside from some name and early pronoun flubs, I haven't really heard bad about the official TL.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The most bad I've heard about the official translation is the dumb spelling mistakes for Thistle. I never got the notion that it was hated or anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrSunshine posted:

You think so? I was kind of taken out of that scene honestly. It distracted from what should have been a horror moment to add in some unnecessary titillating content, at least for me.

More or less than Laios calling her cool immediately beforehand? She's supposed to be simultaneously horrific and cool/sexy, imo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She looks like a cool as gently caress JRPG boss tbh. Really she just needed some ominous, theatrical rear end music to complete the image.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZpswb95xSQ&t=55s

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Arc Hammer posted:

The most bad I've heard about the official translation is the dumb spelling mistakes for Thistle. I never got the notion that it was hated or anything.

sissel is unfortunately the official translation somehow, despite the colour of thistles being referenced in his eye colour.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Show calls him Thistle in the credits so I'm taking that over the manga translation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also they literally got his pronouns wrong, I am not taking Sissel as valid just because its the official translation the manga got stuck with because they made a mistake early and just had to commit to it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 29, 2024

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

So I finally caught up after missing the last couple episodes for various reasons, and I have thoughts:

-Shuro is an irritable tool, but I'm willing to cut him some slack cuz dude has been running on Red Bull and instant ramen and maybe three hours' sleep the last week as he's speedran the Dungeon, emotions are gonna run kinda hot.

I've been in both sides of it, so I can get why Shuro's so annoyed with Laois: I've been told before that I missed some social cue when they needed my emotional support and that I wished they had just flat-out told me. And while the other person understands how my mind works, they do still want me to not just rely on someone cluing me in and try to understand others' emotions on my own. It's embarrassing and frustrating being confronted by my obliviousness like that, but they're not actually wrong about me needing to put in more effort to think about how others are feeling. It's doubly frustrating for Laios because he thought he made his first friend, but he really does just blab the first thing out of his mouth a lot, like confidently stating that of course Shuro won't tell anyone about how they resurrected Falin. While Laios is correct in his assessment, he doesn't make the effort to cushion the blow or thinking about how the other person would take the news.

On the flipside, I also have a low social battery. In the place I lived in when I was a teen, there were these couple of guys in my neighborhood who always stuck onto me whenever I was outside. I didn't know them, and I sure as hell didn't like them based on how I see them acting like loud jackasses with their friends. And even I can tell their friendliness is just a front to getting entertainment from mocking me to my face, like dripping faux-concern or trying to gaslight me that we were totally classmates back in high school. And no matter how much I clammed up, or gave curt answers, or glared at them, or all but used body language to show I'm uncomfortable and don't want them around, they kept clinging to me until I snapped and chased one of them off. Maybe they thought they were actually being friendly or taking pity on me, but it really can't be understated how a person you don't like forcing themself into your company is exhausting and ruins your day.

Asterite34 posted:

-It's funny the dude finds Laios totally insufferable, but is infatuated with Falin, despite our limited interactions with Falin showing her and Laios being almost the same person. I guess when Falin goes into excitable autistic mode she's more cute about it?

Honestly, I get the opposite vibe. While Falin can be a weirdo as well, she's someone who always think of others. Her very first act was to teleport everyone out of the dungeon to save them from the red dragon. When talking about how ghosts in the third floor and why they can't just explode them, Falin says that these lingering spirits are just hurt and in need of guidance, even risking her life to grab the possessed adventurer's corpse to gently send away the spirit in their body. During the flashback to their school days, Falin kept their walk at a gentle pace and always offered snacks in order to ease Marcille's nervousness at sneaking outside the school grounds. And upon being resurrected, Falin kept fretting over how Laios, Marcille went through so much just to save her.

Beneath the spacy exterior, Falin is a warm and considerate person. If she were just exactly as socially clueless as Laios then there's no way Shuro wouldn't have picked up on that with how much he's wary of the guy. And while Marcille would help in getting Laios's corpse back if he were eaten by the Red Dragon, I'm not so sure she'd go as far as breaking the law and using black magic to resurrect him.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I've been in both sides of it, so I can get . And while Marcille would help in getting Laios's corpse back if he were eaten by the Red Dragon, I'm not so sure she'd go as far as breaking the law and using black magic to resurrect him.

Don't kid yourself, if Falin asked her if there was any way to resurrect her brother, Marcille would be drawing with blood and muttering in dark tongues the next second. :v:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thistle is the correct name.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
So as of this episode its pretty clear our party of heroes can't go back to their normal lives on the surface anymore. We've been told a number of times how illegal black magic is, and it was easy to brush it off because Marcille seemed confident she'd get away with it and we love our party of goofballs. Now way too many people know in order to keep it a secret, and even if somehow they all agree not to blab eventually other adventuring groups are going to run into Falin and people are going to start asking the questions which end with our party in jail or taken away by the elves of the west and never heard from again.

Our party is heading deeper in not just because they want to save Falin, but because they have nowhere else they can go.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, Shuro very explicitly promised to send his ninjas to smuggle them out if it comes down to it. So they definitely could leave, if not openly. Not to their normal lives though, of course.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

I wish I knew better words for:

Horny (made on purpose for a narrow definition of horny to sell figurines)

Fanservice-y
Lewd
Cheesecake (I don't even know the etymology of this one, but that's what some of those toys of shots are called)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

DrSunshine posted:

You think so? I was kind of taken out of that scene honestly. It distracted from what should have been a horror moment to add in some unnecessary titillating content, at least for me.

Just to throw in, I think throwing the audience off balance by mixing horny (getting you to still see Falin as a person rather than a scary animal) and horror helps the situation as it shows the mental conflict. One one hand this is a huge beastie squishing ninjas but on the other hand it's still Falin. Some of the cast see the monster, some of the cast see the woman they love/lust for./want to be platonic chaste roommates with.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

Cheesecake (I don't even know the etymology of this one, but that's what some of those toys of shots are called)

It's been used as slang since at least the 1930s and we're not sure where it came from: https://www.etymonline.com/word/cheesecake
The male equivalent was 'beefcake' and we're not sure about that one either: https://www.etymonline.com/word/beefcake

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
If seeing Falin’s feathery juggle boppers both excited and revulsed you, causing you a sense of shock and unease, then the director was successful. That is supposed to a startling but ambiguous image.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
big bappers will NEVER revulse me

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Honestly I can defend the bounce from a naturalistic perspective too. Once you allow that Falin has -- generous plumage and that she's not wearing a bra (her clothing is an actual plot point) animating that scene without some amount of bop feels weird?

I think it's supposed to be doing something with the dichotomy of the beautiful and the profane but this stuff is always eye of the beholder anyway.

This might be my worst ever post, gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually I haven't seen any Beholders in the show yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Owned by Wizards of the Coast so they'd get sued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just make a knockoff Beholder like they did in Dungeon Siege with the Fury