Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/29/new-stormcast-eternals-prosecutors-soar-into-battle-on-wings-of-azure-flame/

Speaking of wings, the newest AoS mini reveal has them as well.

Next week it's a skaven reveal.

Holy moly that whips rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Wings are cool and the poses are an improvement but not a fan of those open faced hoplite helms.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/29/new-stormcast-eternals-prosecutors-soar-into-battle-on-wings-of-azure-flame/

Welp. That settles it. Im getting the launch box. Thats too loving cool.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

GhastlyBizness posted:

Wings are cool and the poses are an improvement but not a fan of those open faced hoplite helms.

Same, although I also have an issue with the backpack for wings, it's the easiest attachment point for a miniature, but it looks out of place.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

GhastlyBizness posted:

Weirdly enough I actually like that more

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Weirdly enough I actually like that more

Mee too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

These guys are insanely loving cool

Also love the Hoplite helm, SCE are at their aesthetic best when they lean into Greco-Roman styles.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

3-die charge and once per turn anything shrug will be amazing for an assault unit, too.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GhastlyBizness posted:

The Community team sometimes play fast and loose with the facts but it seems that there’s an alternate helm option

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The article itself says they have an alt helmet at the bottom.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The article itself says they have an alt helmet at the bottom.

:ms:

You’d think I’d learn to actually read the articles at some point

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did a proper be'lakor.

If you're Canadian, I donated (edit: didn't buy the model, just painted it for them) this to the Battered Bison GT for them to use as a prize. It'll be given away as the raffle prize for a veterans charity, the specific charity TBA. If you're in manitoba or close by, keep an eye on the tournament date if you're interested in winning it.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 29, 2024

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
At this point, I feel like they should have changed how they wrote the article announcing the model retirements, to really highlight "These are the models that are retiring, and THESE are just models we're updating next edition." I know they thrive off building hype, but I feel like that would have taken some wind out the the "GW betrayed us!! Is Warhammer DYING???" spam over the last month.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 29, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starting to realize I should probably start putting together the rest of my chaos warriors if I want to maybe catch the early hype train of 4th edition.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

GhastlyBizness posted:

I did a double take on them because they had a boob plate and the painting made them look like they had a full beard as well. Thought for a moment GW was trying to kill the entire tabloid crowd.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did a proper be'lakor.

Oingo Boing'lakor

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Article on Endless Spells and faction terrain is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/30/clash-with-eldritch-manifestations-and-demolish-faction-terrain-in-newaos/

I like that you can punch spells to get rid of them now, but I don't like that there's no points cost to taking them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

oh wow endless spells are big terrain pieces? wow I thought they were just fancy projectiles, crazy!

So are they stage hazards that stay in place?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

oh wow endless spells are big terrain pieces? wow I thought they were just fancy projectiles, crazy!

So are they stage hazards that stay in place?

Some of them can move, some just sit where you put them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

But maybe you can spend your casting resource to make them show up in a different spot effectively moving them?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Enough there for me to pull the trigger on a box of Malign Sorcery. 4 lores worth in a set and with it being ground up reworks there's sure to be something playable among them. Forbidden Power and the Incarnate def more a wait and see cause that's way less value. Interesting they're letting the Incarnate of Ghur stick around despite its ties to the the old story and people's general lack of enthusiasm for the model and rules. Maybe we'll get another swing at the rules for that now they can model it as a 'real' unit just as an Endless Spell alone. Maybe they're going to bring in a new one for Ashqy at some point.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
https://www.goonhammer.com/a-history-of-miniature-violence-age-of-sigmars-launch/
wait those rule WERE real??? i sincerely thought i was being hosed with what were they thinking

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yes, they were real. It's a wonder that AOS even survived the absolute dumpster fire that it was at launch.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There has to be a points cost for this stuff right? There's no way they're going to let everyone have a Krondspine Incarnate for free right?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Funzo posted:

There has to be a points cost for this stuff right? There's no way they're going to let everyone have a Krondspine Incarnate for free right?

I dunno, since they're grouping multiple spells into different lores, they might just be a universal thing all armies will take, just like the faction terrain. It wouldn't surprise me if they've re-written the way the Krondspire works to fit more balance-wise with the other spells, or maybe just having access to summoning 3 or 4 smaller endless spells is the balance against just having one Krondspire?

I guess this is one of the benefits of the modular design. I'd hate to be a newcomer to AoS, and now see I HAVE to get the faction terrain, the faction spells, the malign sorceries, all before you even start building the army.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/a-history-of-miniature-violence-age-of-sigmars-launch/
wait those rule WERE real??? i sincerely thought i was being hosed with what were they thinking

Hahahahahahaha

Yes, they were real. Goddamn, were they real.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 30, 2024

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Funzo posted:

Since you can only take one manifestation lore, and that lore just has Krondspine Incarnate, it balances itself out because your opponent can get four individual powers? All the other lores (shown) have four endless spells to summon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Desfore posted:

I dunno, since they're grouping multiple spells into different lores, they might just be a universal thing all armies will take, just like the faction terrain. It wouldn't surprise me if they've re-written the way the Krondspire works to fit more balance-wise with the other spells, or maybe just having access to summoning 3 or 4 smaller endless spells is the balance against just having one Krondspire?

I guess this is one of the benefits of the modular design. I'd hate to be a newcomer to AoS, and now see I HAVE to get the faction terrain, the faction spells, the malign sorceries, all before you even start building the army.

Frankly I'd treat endless spells and faction terrain as modules way more readily than I would casting or terrain as a whole. At least for endlesses leaving them out should balance overall, though leaving out faction terrain will def hit some armies more than others.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hmmm i wonder if skaven will have their own endless spells like a tornado of rats or something

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Skaven have traditionally had Warp Lightning Vortex, which is a stupid geometry problem that lets you create a zone that causes light mortal damage and slows units in it.

Endless spells are terrible and I wish they were dead, especially now that they've specifically said these freebies can be used to zone out deep strikes.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

Hmmm i wonder if skaven will have their own endless spells like a tornado of rats or something

I was checking Amazon, there's a box on there, specifically labeled as Skaven Endless Spells, with what looks like some lightning spires, a rat swarm and some magic bell. For $60.

These are pretty pricey additions. The sylvaneth wyldwoods are $51 each and that spell says you can have three on the board at once.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Skaven have traditionally had Warp Lightning Vortex, which is a stupid geometry problem that lets you create a zone that causes light mortal damage and slows units in it.

Endless spells are terrible and I wish they were dead, especially now that they've specifically said these freebies can be used to zone out deep strikes.

I am a complete sucker for pew-pew special effects like fire templates and such so i like having colorful spells on the board, plus they look super cool!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ravendas posted:

I was checking Amazon, there's a box on there, specifically labeled as Skaven Endless Spells, with what looks like some lightning spires, a rat swarm and some magic bell. For $60.

These are pretty pricey additions. The sylvaneth wyldwoods are $51 each and that spell says you can have three on the board at once.

This is really the annoying part about the decision. It's free point value (meaning it's all but necessary) and for some factions is vastly important (elf trees), only to be very much not free dollarwise.

We need to return to the era of free cardboard standees in starter kits and White Dwarf for rules like this, imo. Then keep the models as the awesome option for hobbyists and enthusiasts.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Coming into AoS from 40k, the endless spells were a definite draw. It's such a cool idea. I'm generally a total sucker for having models that are Not Just Units on the board. Also a big fan of using weird little dudes for markers and tokens, and I really like unit fillers from The Old World.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ravendas posted:

I think the current summon tree spell only summons one individual tree at a time (but also you start with a full triple as faction terrain on the board under current rules too so two boxes does seem somewhat likely to be needed). Still, I’d probably prefer that to most of the summoning armies in the game where you basically need to keep an entire army list in reserve if you want full flexibility for spending summon points.

Looking at it as how close it takes you to getting to 2k points for an army yeah it can be dispiriting but the models themselves are really cool and at least you have the possibility of just saying gently caress it and using the same incarnate for every one of your armies if you really want to save cash

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Funzo posted:

You will, but it won't have the rules of a V3 Krondspine.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

One can dream

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/Endless-Spells-Skaven-2019

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Scared to pre-buy for AoS4e because I don't know what will change. They might just have new Skaven Endless Spells with the reworks.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tbh those skaven spells are nowhere near as cool as i was hoping, the other ones are more appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Safety Factor posted:

Hahahahahahaha

Yes, they were real. Goddamn, were they real.

There’s a lot of lingering bad blood between AOS players and TOW players in some corners, and part of that is due to the insane spreadsheet wars that saw beasts of chaos consigned to the land of square bases, but a lot of it is I think premised on a fundamental disconnect. Some fantasy players never got over the incredibly bad first impression AOS made, and some AOS players who never lived through that era just perceive that as baseless hostility to Their Game. AoS is pretty good now, and those who disagree are incorrect, but it was really, really, really bad once upon a time, and people who disagree with that are also incorrect in that belief.