Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

All this talk of Ostranauts makes me want to throw money at it again and give it a second shot??? I loved Neo Scavenger, and immediately bought Ostranauts a few years back when it was newly released. I was greeted with a half-baked janky mess which I refunded. I haven't touched it since. It seems the game is way more fleshed out nowadays? Anyone care to sell it to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

From what I remember the guy making it (or at least the guy who made Neo Scavenger) was a goon and he spends a lot of time adding new features to his games. Also explains why it's a bit like SS13 probably.

I haven't played it for a while though so dunno how good it is right now.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Umbreon posted:

Got a link to said video?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I assume it's this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTyje33S4Y

because all the other videos seem to be 4 years old

Half right. I just watched episode three of that. Episode 2 ended with their death before day one was over, Episode 3 ended with them still alive for once. It's not showcased here in detail, but if you 'rest' in your EVA suit, you do not recover fatigue but you do accelerate time and drift. Since most starts are in space, you maintain more proper space physics and specifical momentum. You don't need to maintain your velocity, but thrust can be pretty expensive - and so can braking. Fast-forward drifting is a good way to save fuel and IRL time.

I watched a few other recent videos (1-3 months) by other youtubers but the one that initially caught my attention and youtube algorithm is by Fisk, who in his own words isn't great with the sci-fi stuff. I can't recall the details, but I only remember seeing one person complete the achievement for surviving one day - but I can see how you could make it much further if you have some basic familiarity with the resources, basic newtonian space physics and fuel consumption, drifting, and some sort of plan. Even without dropping the difficulty preset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65dQGSCv3M

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
An issue that killed Ark Ascended for me is that you can't edit the ini to increase your level cap. I'll have to wait until mods start appearing to give it a go. I very much dislike level caps in survival games if they also give you tons and tons and tons of cool stuff to learn. Conan isn't too bad because you can collect items that give you skill points to unlock stuff.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

LordSloth posted:

Half right. I just watched episode three of that. Episode 2 ended with their death before day one was over, Episode 3 ended with them still alive for once. It's not showcased here in detail, but if you 'rest' in your EVA suit, you do not recover fatigue but you do accelerate time and drift. Since most starts are in space, you maintain more proper space physics and specifical momentum. You don't need to maintain your velocity, but thrust can be pretty expensive - and so can braking. Fast-forward drifting is a good way to save fuel and IRL time.

I watched a few other recent videos (1-3 months) by other youtubers but the one that initially caught my attention and youtube algorithm is by Fisk, who in his own words isn't great with the sci-fi stuff. I can't recall the details, but I only remember seeing one person complete the achievement for surviving one day - but I can see how you could make it much further if you have some basic familiarity with the resources, basic newtonian space physics and fuel consumption, drifting, and some sort of plan. Even without dropping the difficulty preset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65dQGSCv3M

There's currently a bug with drift where it's much, much worse to drift than just wait. The amount of time that passes (meaning bars consumed) is way out of sync with the amount of ground you cover

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
There are a lot of bugs in that game and not enough info is provided to the player. Played my first game and was full on water and food, not completely fatigued, temp was fine and my condition was only 22% with no negative modifiers listed on the character sheet. Why am I in such poo poo shape? What do I need to do? Who knows.

Got completely fatigued and tried to sleep but even with everything in the green and oxygen showing as fair and temps fine fatigue didn't go up and then I died.

Also the game wouldn't let me pick up light sources I dropped. Dropped my first glow ball to build something and welp that's gone.

Food and water go way too fast, drift is broken, time things take seem way out of whack. Oh you want 5 food and 3 water from this supply crate? That's going to take 9 hours.

The lack of a mouse sensitivity setting is very annoying as well with how low the default is.

Looks like it could be a fun game at some point but it needs a lot of work.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If the status has any red exclamation points you won't recover condition, and if there's any red exclamation points other than fatigue, you won't recover fatigue. If I had to guess it was air quality. The notifications encourage you to drop the oxygen candle as soon as you get into the station, but the truth is that you should save them until you need to sleep.

There's different kinds of debris that have different setups- the cargo containers require some kind of crank tool in order to unload quickly (no idea where to get it) and it takes hours to get anything if you don't have it. Emergency containers and survival kits and I think one other are just regular containers you can unload.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Qubee posted:

All this talk of Ostranauts makes me want to throw money at it again and give it a second shot??? I loved Neo Scavenger, and immediately bought Ostranauts a few years back when it was newly released. I was greeted with a half-baked janky mess which I refunded. I haven't touched it since. It seems the game is way more fleshed out nowadays? Anyone care to sell it to me?

The mess is slightly more baked now! its fun(tm) even when everyone on the station drops dead.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

30.5 Days posted:

If the status has any red exclamation points you won't recover condition, and if there's any red exclamation points other than fatigue, you won't recover fatigue. If I had to guess it was air quality. The notifications encourage you to drop the oxygen candle as soon as you get into the station, but the truth is that you should save them until you need to sleep.

There's different kinds of debris that have different setups- the cargo containers require some kind of crank tool in order to unload quickly (no idea where to get it) and it takes hours to get anything if you don't have it. Emergency containers and survival kits and I think one other are just regular containers you can unload.

I'm pretty sure fatigue was the only red exclamation mark I had but I can't go back and check because the game deletes your save when you die, which sure is a choice for an EA game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It sounds like Ostranauts is like one or two major updates from something I could get deeply obsessed with. How frequent are significant updates for the game?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Update "Lucky #13": Dec '23
Update 12 "Rate my Build": Jun '23
Update 11 "Pistols & Punches": Feb '23
Update 10 "Taking Inventory": Nov '22
Update 09 "Wear & Tear" May '22

Wonder how many people are gonna suffer an Apollo 1 when 0.15 hits.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 29, 2024

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev

Qubee posted:

YOU RANG?

Seriously, though, I can chat a bit about what's new. But I probably shouldn't be the one selling the game to you. (I mean, I *should*, because I guess that's also my job. But I'm not an unbiased source.)

If you bought Ostranauts right around launch time, I don't need to tell you what a mess it was. We hit 42% review score in launch week. We weren't ready. I knew we had problems, but even I didn't realize how many we had until too late.

So for anyone here who was subjected to that. Sorry!

Since then, we've been splitting time between fixing bugs, adding systems, adding content, and polish. Probably in about that order of priority. And it isn't going too badly! We're up to 76% overall (mostly positive). We get periodic bursts of good and bad reviews that can swing the recents up to 92% and down to 55%. But I get the sense from users that 76% is probably reasonably accurate. It's somewhere around "rough gem" or "janky but engaging."

We have a roadmap here, which is a good bird's eye view of where we've been since launch, and where we're going:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3120428406777089414

We're currently working on 0.14, so everything between 0.8 and 0.13 is probably new material if you last saw Ostranauts at launch.

0.8 tries to make socializing a bit like emotional combat. Every move raises and lowers Maslow-like stats on both you and them. Aggregate stat changes can develop NPC relations towards you.

Some conversations are "high stakes," where you need to get them into the right stat range to launch your finishing move (called a "gambit" in Ostranauts). But using your social moves can cause their mood to also get into ranges where they use "closers" that end or fail the stakes convo. These come up when you're talking your way out of a police fine, or convincing a fixer to trade with you, etc.

Also somewhat unadvertized is that each NPC is running a crude machine learning algo (note: NOT @2023 "AI" hype!) that remembers which actions made them feel which way and with whom, and when they are doing their next Sims-like needs-fullfilment, they try to choose the action and target that gave them the best aggregate mood up/down based on their current needs.

Basically, we're trying to make NPCs diverge a bit in personal preferences and behaviors over time. So Corbyn always watches TV for a boost to his Meaning score, but Linda seems to associate opening doors with Meaning, and runs around opening airlocks. (Actual bug.)

0.9's big feature was ship parts and equipment that wears out over time. Things degrade, and a bit of maintenance restores them. If they degrade too much, they become damaged (and unusable). And it takes a lot more to fix them when they're damaged. You'll need spare parts and materials, plus tools. Certain skills and tools improve rate of repair.

This is also where a lot of derelict boneyard variety came in. You visit hulks in varying states of disrepair, explore them, find useful junk, and either pull it for resale, or use it on your ship. Or even use it on the derelict.

0.10 was basically porting NEO Scavenger's inventory and wounding system over to Ostranauts. Just balls-deep inventory management and simulating sepsis and bleeding type stuff.

0.11 brought fighting into Ostranauts, closely based on NS's combat rules. Though where NS had turn-based combat, this is real-time with pause. And where NS was abstract ranges and positions, this is an actual 2D map with line of sight.

Plus crime. So now fighting and stealing walls gets you in trouble if someone sees you.

0.12 was basically "ship flipper" patch. You can now buy and sell ships, and ship ratings dovetail into those prices. The more a ship can do, the more its price is modified above base part values. Once you've bootstrapped enough cash to buy the rights to a ship, it can be a lucrative game loop to buy a wreck and fix it up, then sell it back.

This also necessitated ship ownership overhaul, so transponders became a thing here.

0.13 was about adding some supernatural flavor and plot-like events to the game. This is still the same universe as NS, so weird poo poo happens. But where NS used local mythology of Michigan, space doesn't have that same human history. So we made the supernatural stuff more about what people think might go bump in the night in space. And it still aims to be roughly X-Files-like in its tone. Could be science. Could be "spooky." There are clues it could be either.

The plot-like feature and content here is a procgen system for finding storylets that roughly match your current situation, then assigning NPCs to roles in that story, and launching it. So if the fixer dies, the game says "hey I have a plot where the dead fixer can be replaced, and now your fixer is dead, so here's an NPC approaching you about doing that."

This is also where we added the NS-like data mining game loop, so you can find interesting and/or valuable datafiles on devices, and read them for lore or sell them.

This is where we are now. The current Steam build still has bugs and content gaps, but if you dig shipbreaking, hardware controls, and role-playing that you're Mal Reynolds (and you're willing to meet the game halfway), it's not a bad place to spend a few (dozen) hours.

That said, it's a BBG game. The UI/UX is janky. It does things game designers and UX designers would've fired me over doing. It overscopes so much a producer would've industry blacklisted me. What can I say, I'm a bad gamedev.

Looking foward, 0.14 is going to be long range travel. And one new place to visit roughly comparable to the starting area in complexity.

So this means a new torch drive/reactor setup, which will be more modular and customizable (and deadly), and a super fast forward UI for making that multi-day trip more palatable. And Venus. We have aerostats there, and a bit of a national rivalry between a Newcal and Encantado aerostats over (lack of) technology sharing. And a new, larger plot to explore.

We're also trying to make other places in the System at least nominally visitable, even if they don't have rich depth like OKLG does (yet). We know people won't always go where we tell them to now that they have torch drives.

So we're also adding cargo trading and a dynamic economy for that sort of long-haul trading gameloop. Most places will have basic station facilities and trade.

And planetary atmospheric stuff. So you can watch your ship implode under the dense NH3 atmosphere of Saturn, or suffocate in the rich CO2 of Venus. (If you don't instantly die of organ failure due to the high temperatures).

0.15 is where we add our final major feature: ship combat. The plan here is more like submarine combat. So lots of long range detection, countermeasures, probably torpedoes and point defense cannons. Expanse-like tech level.

This is possibly where the game will go 1.0, exiting Early Access. Though my hope is that beyond that, we get to continue adding more content, in the form of places in the System, plots, items, etc. But a lot will depend on how healthy the project is.

If nobody likes it by then? I guess we find out if I'm merely taking a break from Ostranauts to spin up NS2, or mothballing BBG and getting a new job. But I'm fairly certain there are enough people out there who like a nerdy, gritty, blue-collar sci-fi sandbox to keep fuel in the tanks a while longer...

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, I loved NEO Scavenger! It was genuinely one of my top games of that year. I bought Ostranauts a few years back figuring I might play it sometime this decade, sounds like a lot of progress has been made so maybe it's time for me to poke around. Thanks for the post!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BlueBottleGames, I bought Ostranauts on launch, booted it up, went "wow this is more alpha than I expected" and uninstalled and I've been sitting and waiting patiently for the rest of the game. Because even the skeleton I saw then was really promising! Genuinely thrilled to hear it's still chugging along. :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've had it for a few years but let it sit on the backburner to stew and jumped in with the current update. So yea all this playtime is from 13+ so I'd say its' pretty playable (but jank) now.

Still want to set fire to all that meat though.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

I'm pretty sure fatigue was the only red exclamation mark I had but I can't go back and check because the game deletes your save when you die, which sure is a choice for an EA game.

Does the ironman toggle not work?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

BlueBottleGames posted:

YOU RANG?

Seriously, though, I can chat a bit about what's new. But I probably shouldn't be the one selling the game to you. (I mean, I *should*, because I guess that's also my job. But I'm not an unbiased source.)

If you bought Ostranauts right around launch time, I don't need to tell you what a mess it was. We hit 42% review score in launch week. We weren't ready. I knew we had problems, but even I didn't realize how many we had until too late.

So for anyone here who was subjected to that. Sorry!

Since then, we've been splitting time between fixing bugs, adding systems, adding content, and polish. Probably in about that order of priority. And it isn't going too badly! We're up to 76% overall (mostly positive). We get periodic bursts of good and bad reviews that can swing the recents up to 92% and down to 55%. But I get the sense from users that 76% is probably reasonably accurate. It's somewhere around "rough gem" or "janky but engaging."

We have a roadmap here, which is a good bird's eye view of where we've been since launch, and where we're going:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/3120428406777089414

We're currently working on 0.14, so everything between 0.8 and 0.13 is probably new material if you last saw Ostranauts at launch.

0.8 tries to make socializing a bit like emotional combat. Every move raises and lowers Maslow-like stats on both you and them. Aggregate stat changes can develop NPC relations towards you.

Some conversations are "high stakes," where you need to get them into the right stat range to launch your finishing move (called a "gambit" in Ostranauts). But using your social moves can cause their mood to also get into ranges where they use "closers" that end or fail the stakes convo. These come up when you're talking your way out of a police fine, or convincing a fixer to trade with you, etc.

Also somewhat unadvertized is that each NPC is running a crude machine learning algo (note: NOT @2023 "AI" hype!) that remembers which actions made them feel which way and with whom, and when they are doing their next Sims-like needs-fullfilment, they try to choose the action and target that gave them the best aggregate mood up/down based on their current needs.

Basically, we're trying to make NPCs diverge a bit in personal preferences and behaviors over time. So Corbyn always watches TV for a boost to his Meaning score, but Linda seems to associate opening doors with Meaning, and runs around opening airlocks. (Actual bug.)

0.9's big feature was ship parts and equipment that wears out over time. Things degrade, and a bit of maintenance restores them. If they degrade too much, they become damaged (and unusable). And it takes a lot more to fix them when they're damaged. You'll need spare parts and materials, plus tools. Certain skills and tools improve rate of repair.

This is also where a lot of derelict boneyard variety came in. You visit hulks in varying states of disrepair, explore them, find useful junk, and either pull it for resale, or use it on your ship. Or even use it on the derelict.

0.10 was basically porting NEO Scavenger's inventory and wounding system over to Ostranauts. Just balls-deep inventory management and simulating sepsis and bleeding type stuff.

0.11 brought fighting into Ostranauts, closely based on NS's combat rules. Though where NS had turn-based combat, this is real-time with pause. And where NS was abstract ranges and positions, this is an actual 2D map with line of sight.

Plus crime. So now fighting and stealing walls gets you in trouble if someone sees you.

0.12 was basically "ship flipper" patch. You can now buy and sell ships, and ship ratings dovetail into those prices. The more a ship can do, the more its price is modified above base part values. Once you've bootstrapped enough cash to buy the rights to a ship, it can be a lucrative game loop to buy a wreck and fix it up, then sell it back.

This also necessitated ship ownership overhaul, so transponders became a thing here.

0.13 was about adding some supernatural flavor and plot-like events to the game. This is still the same universe as NS, so weird poo poo happens. But where NS used local mythology of Michigan, space doesn't have that same human history. So we made the supernatural stuff more about what people think might go bump in the night in space. And it still aims to be roughly X-Files-like in its tone. Could be science. Could be "spooky." There are clues it could be either.

The plot-like feature and content here is a procgen system for finding storylets that roughly match your current situation, then assigning NPCs to roles in that story, and launching it. So if the fixer dies, the game says "hey I have a plot where the dead fixer can be replaced, and now your fixer is dead, so here's an NPC approaching you about doing that."

This is also where we added the NS-like data mining game loop, so you can find interesting and/or valuable datafiles on devices, and read them for lore or sell them.

This is where we are now. The current Steam build still has bugs and content gaps, but if you dig shipbreaking, hardware controls, and role-playing that you're Mal Reynolds (and you're willing to meet the game halfway), it's not a bad place to spend a few (dozen) hours.

That said, it's a BBG game. The UI/UX is janky. It does things game designers and UX designers would've fired me over doing. It overscopes so much a producer would've industry blacklisted me. What can I say, I'm a bad gamedev.

Looking foward, 0.14 is going to be long range travel. And one new place to visit roughly comparable to the starting area in complexity.

So this means a new torch drive/reactor setup, which will be more modular and customizable (and deadly), and a super fast forward UI for making that multi-day trip more palatable. And Venus. We have aerostats there, and a bit of a national rivalry between a Newcal and Encantado aerostats over (lack of) technology sharing. And a new, larger plot to explore.

We're also trying to make other places in the System at least nominally visitable, even if they don't have rich depth like OKLG does (yet). We know people won't always go where we tell them to now that they have torch drives.

So we're also adding cargo trading and a dynamic economy for that sort of long-haul trading gameloop. Most places will have basic station facilities and trade.

And planetary atmospheric stuff. So you can watch your ship implode under the dense NH3 atmosphere of Saturn, or suffocate in the rich CO2 of Venus. (If you don't instantly die of organ failure due to the high temperatures).

0.15 is where we add our final major feature: ship combat. The plan here is more like submarine combat. So lots of long range detection, countermeasures, probably torpedoes and point defense cannons. Expanse-like tech level.

This is possibly where the game will go 1.0, exiting Early Access. Though my hope is that beyond that, we get to continue adding more content, in the form of places in the System, plots, items, etc. But a lot will depend on how healthy the project is.

If nobody likes it by then? I guess we find out if I'm merely taking a break from Ostranauts to spin up NS2, or mothballing BBG and getting a new job. But I'm fairly certain there are enough people out there who like a nerdy, gritty, blue-collar sci-fi sandbox to keep fuel in the tanks a while longer...

Well, this post sold me pretty hard on trying again. The only thing I'm waiting for is the fix to the "everyone on the station just eventually randomly dies" bug. Once that's fixed, I'll be trying this again and playing it during work most likely.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I loved and played the hell out of neo scavenger and so I've just been waiting for Ostranauts to cook a bit more before I jump in.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LordSloth posted:

Does the ironman toggle not work?

Didn't even see that there, lol. Why is it not with the rest of the difficulty settings?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Umbreon posted:

Well, this post sold me pretty hard on trying again. The only thing I'm waiting for is the fix to the "everyone on the station just eventually randomly dies" bug. Once that's fixed, I'll be trying this again and playing it during work most likely.

It's not random, they die from very specific reasons! (they refuse to take off their suits in which they're suffocating) :v

Even breaking into the maintenance area to actually put carbon scrubber carts in the carbon scrubbers or converting my ship to oxygenate the station doesnt really help in the long term haha.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev

woke kaczynski posted:

I bought Ostranauts a few years back figuring I might play it sometime this decade...

How optimistic, LOL! But seriously, thanks for the encouragement!

StrixNebulosa posted:

BlueBottleGames, I bought Ostranauts on launch, booted it up, went "wow this is more alpha than I expected" and uninstalled and I've been sitting and waiting patiently for the rest of the game. Because even the skeleton I saw then was really promising! Genuinely thrilled to hear it's still chugging along. :D

Thanks! Yeah, the number one review sentiment we see is "so much potential!" Which is cool! But also, a little bit scary. I sure hope we fulfill enough of that expectation in the end.

Probably most responsible business owners would've pulled the plug by now. But I really want to play this thing, drat it! And what am I doing being an indie if not making something because it needs making, and not for shareholder appeasement? So onward I march, into the jaws of death :)

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've had it for a few years but let it sit on the backburner to stew and jumped in with the current update. So yea all this playtime is from 13+ so I'd say its' pretty playable (but jank) now.

Still want to set fire to all that meat though.

It definitely feels like it turned a corner in 0.13. Folks are spending a lot more long-term time in these latest few builds, compared to earlier ones.

I'm certain there will always be some level of jank, whether it's due to my ignorance, inability, or weird gameplay fetishes. But we're at least aiming to sift the wheat jank from the chaff jank, if that metaphor makes sense.

And the meat-splosion may require us circling back to rebalance at some point. I thought we had made it solvable by completing the plot, but it might still be escaping containment, so to speak.

I can confirm, in any case, that we are buffing the laser torch as a weapon in 0.14. Partially as a tool for dealing with unruly meat, but also for another upcoming threat...

Umbreon posted:

I guarantee you that as soon as we find and fix that cause, the NPCs will find a new, creative way to die. Damned free will!

My going theory on the OKLG graveyard situ is that these NPCs are mid-death when the "transit manager" code runs. Something killed them elsewhere in the game (their ship crashed, they were part of a derelict diorama of piracy gone bad, etc.) and the game helpfully said "hey, we need traffic going to and from stations, let's grab this guy!" And he falls out of a teleporter and immediately dies.

That, or a hauler ship returned them to port, dumping them on-station.

I'm *reasonably* sure it's not failure to remove helmets, as we spent a lot of time debugging that particular foible out of AI. Or in any case, anytime we've watched them, we can never catch that happening. (Assuming they're conscious and able to remove their helmet.)

We also recently added a maintenance tech to stations, which I thought would be dragging these corpses off to disposal. Are they not doing their job anymore?

Bhodi posted:

I loved and played the hell out of neo scavenger and so I've just been waiting for Ostranauts to cook a bit more before I jump in.

Thanks! And that's fair. We're getting into territory now where saves last a lot longer, so it's an even bigger bummer when a new milestone or a bug ruins that run! Once 0.14 and 0.15 are out, it will hopefully be less of the former, and we can focus on reducing frequency of the latter.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I haven’t read too much about the meat, because I’m pretty certain I’ll pick up ostranauts one day, but what has been getting past my spoiler blinders is giving me real Homeworld: Cataclysm’s the beast vibes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just give me craftable molotovs and the fire update and it shouldnt be a problem much longer :v

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BlueBottleGames posted:

We also recently added a maintenance tech to stations, which I thought would be dragging these corpses off to disposal. Are they not doing their job anymore?

Apparently not. I kept bringing back bodies i found on derelicts and piling them here since it didnt quite feel right to leave them on the ship. (maybe a small finders fee reward in the future?)

The 'people being brought in at transit while dying' makes sense. the weird dead / dying people were all stacked up in one spot at the port transit area.

--

Completely unrelated I was running around forever looking for the ship dealer kiosk, expecting it to be labelled like every other kiosk in the game. Well it wasnt! I eventually did find it because it was a unique piece tho.

--

wishlists for the future. Component types are pretty barebones at the moment. It'd be nice to see more part subtypes, like the regular intake vs hydra intakes to make the ships more varied, having the great feeling of scoring a rare component, giving different layout options for different components in ships.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 1, 2024

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just give me craftable molotovs and the fire update and it shouldnt be a problem much longer :v

and barbecue sauce

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Ostranauts: this space station has more corpses than Dead Space

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Parts variation would be nice, even if it was just basic stuff like a Kang style 1x2 Intake where the canister inserts on the end forming a 1x3 rather than the current L shape, or “Kang Intake, but mirrored”. I realize the awkward shape of the Kang is somewhat intentional so these could be rarer parts similar to the Hydra (but not that rare).

“Mirrored”:flipped versions of several other parts would be nice too, like ship batteries.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More compact navigation console but gives you bad back status

Being able to slice off huge sections of multiple tiles of floor/hull to more rapidly build up your scrap ship would be nice but its probably a huge ask given how it works now

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I actually struggle a bit with sense of scale in the game. Part of me thinks a player should not fit through a 1 tile wide space. It feels like it’s roughly 1 square is a foot wide or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1 tile feels to me like one of those capsule hotel coffins.

except you can clearly fit a lovely mattress in one. Maybe we need an even shittier bed tier.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I bought your Ostranauts game based on the post from earlier in the thread. Booted it up, flew out to scavenge a wreck, sort of did that, and then I got rammed by some random rear end in a top hat that put a giant hole in the side of my ship. Rip little spaceman. I have no clue what I was doing half the time. Fun though!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone tried this? I'm a sucker for waterworld bullshit and there's a fine enough deal going on GMG atm, but it's at mostly positive, which can go both ways.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2080690/Sunkenland/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone tried this? I'm a sucker for waterworld bullshit and there's a fine enough deal going on GMG atm, but it's at mostly positive, which can go both ways.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2080690/Sunkenland/

it's Rust On Islands

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Sunkenland had some buzz a few months ago but it dropped off fast. I never tried it because it didn’t have a dedicated server option for multiplayer. Most of the channels I saw playing it enjoyed it, and Lets Game It Out did a video on it too. I think overall it was good probably just not much replay value.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played it quite a bit until they took away the option to claim new islands because they were changing the map. I haven't played it since but i really enjoyed it. It does give you the sense you are on a vast, open ocean. Enemies will attack your base so you need to think about defense. Though I also stopped playing because i literally had reached the end of the content.

There's a new one with a free demo called Soulmask. Its gimmick is you have a mask attached to your face that you can do stuff with. Mostly it seems to just be used to make friends like Conan, but from the neebs video i watched, seemed kind of clunky as you need to attack a potential friend and get their health closed to low before you can make friends. The issue they had in the video is they kept killing people way to quickly with weapons, and if they started punching people instead, they'd get merked by the people they were trying to make friends with.

I played for a bit, started building a base then realized right where I was building there was a nest right in the middle of where the floor was going to go. So now i have to move everything over so i can have space.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

twistedmentat posted:

There's a new one with a free demo called Soulmask. Its gimmick is you have a mask attached to your face that you can do stuff with. Mostly it seems to just be used to make friends like Conan, but from the neebs video i watched, seemed kind of clunky as you need to attack a potential friend and get their health closed to low before you can make friends.
So, Pokémon again?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

stringless posted:

So, Pokémon again?

No it has masks it's Persona.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I've seen comparisons between Abiotic Factor and Subnautica and I get it.

Every corner I turn in AF has me terrified. I'm under-equipped I don't know where I am and I want to go home. I fell off a balcony and broke my leg and I don't know how to cook food and I'm scared and alone.

This game seems very good! I will get over my fear soon... It actually kind of gives me Prey if it was a survival game vibes, the layout of the first little zone is very reminiscent of the space station and my utter inability to play Prey because of the constant fear is also present. I feel this game a lot more though and am excited to explore further trying not to look up too much.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether "raids" are a thing because barricades are something you can build and the game tells you when you're in a "relatively safe" area. I'm making my little home right at the start of the game in that little security office for now and staging out of there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm enjoying Abiotic Factor with my buds a lot but it seems you can't make it so time doesn't pass when no ones connected to the server which is a huge annoyance. Woke up this morning to see all our crops died and all the food we cooked spoiled in the fridge overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Abiotic is great, gonna dig into it with a friend tonight but we had a blast with the demo originally. Interested to see where the story goes and some of the enemies already have new stuff...

LeFishy posted:

I've seen comparisons between Abiotic Factor and Subnautica and I get it.

Every corner I turn in AF has me terrified. I'm under-equipped I don't know where I am and I want to go home. I fell off a balcony and broke my leg and I don't know how to cook food and I'm scared and alone.

This game seems very good! I will get over my fear soon... It actually kind of gives me Prey if it was a survival game vibes, the layout of the first little zone is very reminiscent of the space station and my utter inability to play Prey because of the constant fear is also present. I feel this game a lot more though and am excited to explore further trying not to look up too much.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether "raids" are a thing because barricades are something you can build and the game tells you when you're in a "relatively safe" area. I'm making my little home right at the start of the game in that little security office for now and staging out of there.

If you're set up in the security office by the start, you cam go back into the kitchen and put a frying pan on the grill you found the porkchop on originally. Just pick that frying pan up then put it back down and you can grill whatever alien meat bits you want on it. Won't spoil anything else but not having to using vending machines helps a lot.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm enjoying Abiotic Factor with my buds a lot but it seems you can't make it so time doesn't pass when no ones connected to the server which is a huge annoyance. Woke up this morning to see all our crops died and all the food we cooked spoiled in the fridge overnight.

Wait really? poo poo, good to know. Were y'all using a player host or a lan host?