Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
:lmao:

Definitely enlisting the local theater troupe to pitch my next harebrained scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

:lmao:

Definitely enlisting the local theater troupe to pitch my next harebrained scheme.

OP angrily strikes through another name on his clipboard, shaking his head. He reaches for an intercom button.

"No. Send in the next one," says OP.

A young guy energetically bounds into the room and introduces himself.

"That's enough with the pleasantries. Okay, the scene is you're a patron of a local diner. Your motivation is that you yearn to escape the corporate ketchup orthodoxy. And for God's sake, don't be afraid to show some pathos! Go."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

youtube seems to have a thing where it makes the subscribe button glow in rainbow colors when someone in a video says subscribe? It seems to be new?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Will you join my online theater group? We need both actors and folks behind the scenes. Like rigging.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Tunicate posted:

youtube seems to have a thing where it makes the subscribe button glow in rainbow colors when someone in a video says subscribe? It seems to be new?

That's been around for a few months now. I think the thumbs up icon also does something if someone mentions 'the Like button'.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why do old people struggle so hard to comprehend the idea of a "podcast"?? It's just a drat radio show. They can get the idea of steaming video but not podcasts for some reason.

It's the name. "Podcast" is outdated and misleading, and the fact that it even has a special term in the first place implies it must be something more specific than it actually is.

And when that term is a portmanteau of two misleadingly specific technologies as iPods and broadcasting, people naturally assume it MUST be some tedious nerd bullshit, because no reasonable person would willingly adopt a made-up esoteric and oblique new gag term like "podcast" (that focuses on the drat equipment) if they could've instead simply used existing familiar words like "audio show" that accurately describe its content and purpose (entertainment!).

Online video doesn't have these difficulties because nobody decided to make a jokey Frankenstein combo-term into the official new bullshit name for this concept that already exists like "telestream," or "phonecast," or "instagram," it's still just video.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 29, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Radiola programme.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im listening to my favorite audio show

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Shortwave radio used to be better

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

video doesn't have these difficulties because nobody decided to make a jokey Frankenstein combo-term into the official new bullshit name for this concept that already exists like "telestream," or "phonecast," or "instagram," it's still just video.

Vlog? Vtuber?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Hibernate seems to mean randomly turn on in the middle of the night and overheat in my bag until it drains the battery.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's the name. "Podcast" is outdated and misleading, and the fact that it even has a special term in the first place implies it must be something more specific than it actually is.

And when that term is a portmanteau of two misleadingly specific technologies as iPods and broadcasting, people naturally assume it MUST be some tedious nerd bullshit, because no reasonable person would willingly adopt a made-up esoteric and oblique new gag term like "podcast" (that focuses on the drat equipment) if they could've instead simply used existing familiar words like "audio show" that accurately describe its content and purpose (entertainment!).

Online video doesn't have these difficulties because nobody decided to make a jokey Frankenstein combo-term into the official new bullshit name for this concept that already exists like "telestream," or "phonecast," or "instagram," it's still just video.

Like “reels”, you mean? Facebook “stories”? Or “tiktoks”? Sure, none of those are bullshit.

At least YouTube Shorts is correct and descriptive but it certainly assumes you know what YouTube usually is for.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Houle posted:

Hibernate seems to mean randomly turn on in the middle of the night and overheat in my bag until it drains the battery.

I had that for a while, and it turned out to be something to do with internet/wifi connection.
Try putting it into aeroplane mode before setting it to hibernate?

Might be something completely different, but it's low-effort to try it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeh podcast is a really outdated term. It's because early podcasts weren't necessarily broadcast on the web - they were made for download to your iPod to take with you. But now that isn't how it works and so many of them are filmed now, I'm not even sure what to call the format. Internet talk shows? I guess? Are the closest description

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Like “reels”, you mean? Facebook “stories”? Or “tiktoks”? Sure, none of those are bullshit.

At least YouTube Shorts is correct and descriptive but it certainly assumes you know what YouTube usually is for.

I think I've only heard someone actually speak those terms out loud to refer to particular videos maybe once each, and it stuck out how lame it sounded. It's pretty much always "I saw a video on youtube/tiktok/facebook/online"etc.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

thathonkey posted:

im listening to my favorite audio show

Yeah see how easy that is? If you want you could try compound-wording it like "audiobook".

We could probably also get away with "radio show" even if it isn't technically correct - since it's a pre-existing term already understood first and foremost as a presentation format rather than a piece of tech (and it's analogous to a series on Netflix being a "TV show" even if you don't necessarily watch it on TV). "Online radio show" would probably cover all the bases for most folks.

Hell, we could've just called them "iPod shows" and it probably would've clicked with most people.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Auditory Delivery Software, or we can shorten it to ADS! I love listening to ADS!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It’s not a podcast without an RSS feed, that’s what differentiates it from an audio file on the internet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

syntaxfunction posted:

Auditory Delivery Software, or we can shorten it to ADS! I love listening to ADS!

Audio-Image Delivery System

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
podcast is a 20 year old term too

this would be like if we called DVDs 'disc VHS tapes' or some poo poo, just like. why did we keep the old technology name in the title. we really have gotten stuck in an era of stagnation, drat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe we should start calling podcasts soundblogs to keep up with the times

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Remulak posted:

It’s not a podcast without an RSS feed, that’s what differentiates it from an audio file on the internet.

But an RSS feed won't let me collect user data and uses an open format.

A niche podcast I wanted to listen to (in French about the Blue Jays) seems to be going YouTube first and linked me to download the Spotify app when I asked about a RSS feed. I refuse to use Spotify and have been going back to the old ways because as discussed ITT they're like the example no. 1 of enshittification

ETA: if you put the channel ID in your podcast app (@CHANNEL) it just works, holy poo poo

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 29, 2024

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this would be like if we called DVDs 'disc VHS tapes' or some poo poo, just like. why did we keep the old technology name in the title. we really have gotten stuck in an era of stagnation, drat.

I taped that podcast you like and put it on your zune
:tipshat:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Isentropy posted:

But an RSS feed won't let me collect user data and uses an open format.

A niche podcast I wanted to listen to (in French about the Blue Jays) seems to be going YouTube first and linked me to download the Spotify app when I asked about a RSS feed. I refuse to use Spotify and have been going back to the old ways because as discussed ITT they're like the example no. 1 of enshittification

You can get RRS feeds for youtube I think.
https://danielmiessler.com/p/rss-feed-youtube-channel/

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I still say rewind for optical and digital media.

I also sometimes still say tape too.

You could download the podcast onto your iPod shuffle and then tell others that you are the only one who listens to the media the way it ought to. :smug:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Thanks for this, this seems too good to be true. Can even see full video descriptions as I browse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dip Viscous posted:

Thanks for this, this seems too good to be true. Can even see full video descriptions as I browse.

I've been using the RSS feed for a couple Youtube channels for a few years now without issue. No login, Youtube subscription, or anything of the sort required.

Of course, soon as I've said this publicly, they will nix the feature just to screw us.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Be Kind, Please Rewind

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe we should start calling podcasts soundblogs to keep up with the times

slogs

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
90% of podcasts should just be a written article

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cerekk posted:

this. and also many youtube "how to" videos

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cerekk posted:

Thank science that most of them post transcripts so I don't have to listen to all their bullshit.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
video shorter than 1 minute: tiktok
video longer than 1 minute: podcast

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's kind of a trope by now, but gently caress 100% of recipes posted on the internet. I don't want to scroll through 30k lines of text before I get to the ingredient list
Fresh in my mind because I was trying to find a specific cookie recipe last night

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Remulak posted:

They have podcasts on Spotify, some exclusively on that platform. I don't think they support RSS.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Those are good examples, but their usage has fallen dramatically since the early '10. I suspect that's because there wasn't a massive corporation astroturfing the term into common parlance. That said, you're absolutely not wrong that online video-specific terms have always been around.

My own theory is that they actually did create specific terms for an online video streaming service primarily driven by user-created content: YouTube.

You can already see the confusion that's emerged from the rise of other streaming services entering the arena. Anyone can tell you what YouTube is, but a ton of people don't know what TikTok is, and if you called it "streaming video," I imagine you'd confuse a significant percentage of the population.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lots of fancy names being thrown around. Here's one that won't go out of style: cyber criminal.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lots of fancy names being thrown around. Here's one that won't go out of style: cyber criminal.

You've been hit by; you've been struck by.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cerekk posted:

The problem with podcasts is anyone has access to purchase a mic and I feel like they should be a controlled purchase because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's kind of a trope by now, but gently caress 100% of recipes posted on the internet. I don't want to scroll through 30k lines of text before I get to the ingredient list
Fresh in my mind because I was trying to find a specific cookie recipe last night

The Chelsea and Edmonds websites are the gold standards for recipes online imo:

Difficulty indicator

Time to prepare and bake

Servings

Ingredients

Step by step method.

E: shoutout to the meal prep manual as well, with toggles for by volume, by imperial weight and by metric weight. As well as a slider for number of servings that automatically adjusts ingredients needed, and a print friendly option

carrionman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 29, 2024