Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It's not that complicated.

Just run docker containers for the services you need, radarr for movies, sonarr for tv, sabznd for downloading, and plex/jellyfin/emby to stream them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I watch stuff on a big TV with my wife.

(Please don't try to explain to me what a plex server is)

use jellyfin - first you need to need understand that what most people are refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

forkboy84 posted:

The Record's Political Editor has been suggesting some in the Nats want John Swinney, which feels like the Tories in 2005 re-electing William Hague as leader instead of going to David Cameron. He was not successful first time round & if the best you can offer is Swinney then we might as well give up and let the Wee Free sink independence for a generation or more in the hope poisoning that well. I don't loving know.

The party are very rapidly coalescing around Swinney. Time to party like it's 2003. Gonna head to an Iraq War protest and take out some subprime mortgages in celebration.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Network dweebs will always tell you what server poo poo you should be doing even when you specifically ask them not to, it's amazing

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TACD posted:

Yeah this is part of why I never fully got into running a media server. I just download a film and double-click it in Explorer 🤷🏻

For years I've had a FreeNAS / Kodi setup that's been pretty solid, I just drop files on it and they play.

That was until last week when the TV app automatically updated and broke the database, and I had to spend almost two hours of my weekend digging through obscure SQL server documentation. :yaycloud:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Yeah media servers are super simple with hardly any research, you just need to tune your raspberry pi to turbo encabulation mode and ensure that its modial integrators are aligned to reduce magneto-reluctance and increase capacitive directance. Then you just fire up the hydrocoptic marzlevanes and turn the phase detractors to CM-only mode and it'll just work.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just play video james on my playstation 5.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Y'all just sound like you're pitching a Rockwell Retro Encabulator to me. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w&pp=ygUeUm9ja3dlbGwgcHJvZHVjdCBwcmVzZW50YXRpb24g

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

TACD posted:

Yeah this is part of why I never fully got into running a media server. I just download a film and double-click it in Explorer 🤷🏻

:same:
Any media server is more effort to use than the pc connected to my tv.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bozza posted:

use jellyfin - first you need to need understand that what most people are refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
lol

Reveilled posted:

Yeah media servers are super simple with hardly any research, you just need to tune your raspberry pi to turbo encabulation mode and ensure that its modial integrators are aligned to reduce magneto-reluctance and increase capacitive directance. Then you just fire up the hydrocoptic marzlevanes and turn the phase detractors to CM-only mode and it'll just work.
All this reluctance to understand how a simple server stack works is just another example of the shocking tech illiteracy of the youth of today imo. Bunch of Luddites (bad meaning) in this thread.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

These representations of Plex must be put out by the likes of FACT or some other anti-piracy body, because they’re so unnecessarily convoluted. I’ve used a Plex server for more than a decade and my friend who also has one thinks I’m stupid for having it read from my NAS. I just download a torrent, put the file on my NAS, Plex indexes it. That’s it.

My friend runs Plex on a server that also runs a torrent client and it has sonarr as a front end that lets you subscribe to a series, have it automatically download, and show up like it’s on a streaming service.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And he's gone. Managed to completely and comprehensively torpedo himself in record time.

Read that hot on the heels of the post before it re local elections / GE / Sunak and thought you meant Sunak for a minute!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Marenghi posted:

Just run docker containers for the services you need, radarr for movies, sonarr for tv, sabznd for downloading, and plex/jellyfin/emby to stream them.
None of these words are in the qur'an.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HopperUK posted:

WTF is this Tory strategy of stepping up attacks on the sick and disabled? I know they've always just wanted people to die but why this sudden rush, do they think this will play well?

In particular they seem to be pushing anxiety & depression as nothing you should be off sick for.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I just prod the YouTube icon on my tablet and let it autoplay from the trending tab.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bozza posted:

Jesus Christ man, don't go telling everyone our secrets!!! :argh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm sure you need a sonic screwdriver for all that stack stuff.
There's plenty for me to watch on the various Roku channels and if there's something I particularly want to watch that I can't get from there or interweb video sites, a bit of googling & a site with a 1377 in the name can normally find it for me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Plex evangelists are the worst kind of nerd

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What's the advantage of Plex when I can just put stuff in my windows library and my telly detects it and lets me stream it over wifi?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jakabite posted:

What's the advantage of Plex when I can just put stuff in my windows library and my telly detects it and lets me stream it over wifi?

Nerd cred

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In particular they seem to be pushing anxiety & depression as nothing you should be off sick for.

Rejoice, peasants!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just cheer up, guys; maybe go for a walk in the countryside.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jakabite posted:

The main advantage is you could continue to pretty much do that exact thing except nobody will come along and tell you that you’re doing it wrong because you should definitely be using Plex as far as they’re concerned.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

These representations of Plex must be put out by the likes of FACT or some other anti-piracy body, because they’re so unnecessarily convoluted. I’ve used a Plex server for more than a decade and my friend who also has one thinks I’m stupid for having it read from my NAS. I just download a torrent, put the file on my NAS, Plex indexes it. That’s it.

My friend runs Plex on a server that also runs a torrent client and it has sonarr as a front end that lets you subscribe to a series, have it automatically download, and show up like it’s on a streaming service.

go even one step further now and control it all on your phone using the LunaSea app

and if you’re really mad you can now download snes /n64 emulators on the apple app store and stream and play mario kart direct to your TV

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I pay a guy at the pub fifty quid once a year for a new iptv code and watch stuff across all platforms that way

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Scotland has voted against woke.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

communism bitch posted:

tried this and got gassed by river turds

1/10 do not recommend

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems a lot of the party up in Scotland want John Swinney to take over. His wiki page doesn't suggest he's either good or terrible, so what is his actual röntgen?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

Seems a lot of the party up in Scotland want John Swinney to take over. His wiki page doesn't suggest he's either good or terrible, so what is his actual röntgen?

He's an incredibly well liked but also incredibly dull and polite bank manager type. Already been SNP leader and was completely anonymous and innefective. Maybe a good choice as an interim until someone permanent found but my god he's boring.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
If Plex can track what episode I'm on that would be an advantage to my current system of my TV playing them from NAS because I've abandoned watching a series before because I couldn't be bothered to work out what episode to watch next

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

If Plex can track what episode I'm on that would be an advantage to my current system of my TV playing them from NAS because I've abandoned watching a series before because I couldn't be bothered to work out what episode to watch next

It does this. It even does it if you delete the series and then add it again later, as I’ve found.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rejoice, every woman in this thread, this is what 30p Lee wants for us all!
Down on our knees, scrub scrub scrubbing those front door steps!
Lucky for me I don't have one as my front door opens in to a corridor.

(Sorry the image is a bit poo poo, I had to shrink the page to get it all on).

quote:

No Excuses.

This will be my final post today on this subject.

But despite the virtue signalling rants of the left stating that filthy streets are the fault of government I say you are only partly right.

Yes governments have allowed uncontrolled migration and Illegal Migration which has allowed third world cultures to form ghettos in our towns and cities. And yes our councillors have failed to make their councils act.

But living in filth us a choice and is not because you are poor.

This picture shows what poor people did in our country in my grandparents day.

You know? When they had sod all.

I want my country back.

He wants his country back!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Basinski was playing here a couple months ago but I couldn't go sadly. Have literally no idea what kind of live thing he does nowadays

saw him at the Catford Broadway a few months ago - he was clearly just playing wavs of 'the hits' out of ableton, but was so flamboyant it didn't really matter; put on a really good show. he's a curious fellow: best i can describe him is 'imagine a yakuza series sujimon, based on john cooper clarke' :shrug:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh poo poo its escaping!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

keep punching joe posted:

He's an incredibly well liked but also incredibly dull and polite bank manager type. Already been SNP leader and was completely anonymous and innefective. Maybe a good choice as an interim until someone permanent found but my god he's boring.

Boring seems like exactly what the SNP needs right now, given that the current leader just did a massive self own, and his predecessor has been doing a bit of the ol' corruption

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Boring is also better than the current example in Westminster of evil dweeb followed by sir evil dweeb.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
If Lee was a true patriot who really wanted to retvrn, he'd be willing to roll the clock back to the era of the honourable Victorian tradition of chucking human waste into a ditch and everyone nearby dying of dysentery

:britain:

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

communism bitch posted:

Is that where you've been all this time??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Canada of all places doing the "there is no more land to build houses on!" is so loving funny.

On the other hand, their only solution seems to be "more urban sprawl". It's a real problem because just spreading out for miles in every direction and filling it with low density housing is super unsustainable. Those houses bring in less tax revenue than it takes to service all of the roads and other infrastructure needed to serve them - so higher density areas, which are mainly lived in by less well-off people, end up subisidising the suburbs (where richer people live) through their property taxes. What we need is density but Canadians are loving allergic to it*.

That said, more cities etc. (including I believe the province of Ontario where almost 40% of Canadians live) now seem to be passing amendments to their zoning laws which do things like give a blanket allowance for all existing lots to now have 3 housing units on them, allowing for densification. Of course you still have to have homeowners actually opt to add units onto their land which is expensive and difficult on many suburban lots. What we really need to do is stop building more developments which are solely full of single-family detached homes and build actual medium density developments.

Another thing that might make sense is to "do a Milton Keynes" and build a commuter town outside of Toronto, with a high-speed rail link... but Canadians are loving allergic to passenger rail too which is completely ludicrous considering the geography and spread-out nature of Canada.

*There's the possible exception of Montreal where mid-density housing exists and is good. If you didn't need to speak French to live there, I might consider it.