Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

KomradeX posted:

How do they get that many people in the street for a loving transparency law

branding, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

‘My example can change minds’: Roma fighting for place in postwar Ukraine

quote:

Exact figures of how many from the community are fighting are hard to come by, but it is estimated that there are a few thousand, said Stephan Müller, an adviser on international affairs with the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma.

The actual number among the country’s estimated 400,000 Roma could be even higher – a recent survey of 143 Roma in Ukraine by the Roma Foundation for Europe found that a quarter of respondents had relatives on the frontlines. Of these, a third were volunteers.

It’s a remarkable contribution given that Roma, whose roots in Ukraine trace back centuries, rank among the country’s most discriminated against, complicating their access to decent housing, jobs, healthcare and schooling.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Remember how Russia preferrably and evilly drafted minorities? Good times

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

If they ever got what they wanted, Tbilisi would empty overnight into the rest of Europe lol.

They will never get past 'aspirant' status with NATO or 'candidate' status with the EU.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

KomradeX posted:

The point of the transparency law, ironically, is to figure that out.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Oh look. The foreign agents are pissed off about the foreign agents law.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

Ukrainian 'Grandpa' leads over-60s unit fighting Russian forces for free

ZAPORIZHZHIA REGION, Ukraine, April 28 (Reuters) - Oleksandr Taran's mobile artillery unit isn't officially part of Ukraine's military, but that hasn't stopped his men from destroying Russian targets on their own dime.

"We ... get by thanks to the pension fund," the 68-year-old commander - whose call sign is "Grandpa" - said with a chuckle.

Taran's all-volunteer unit, the Steppe Wolves, is comprised of dozens of Ukrainian men mostly over 60 years old who are considered too old to be drafted but still want to fight.

Roving behind the front line with truck-mounted rocket launchers, they take orders from field commanders and work with other troops, contributing to the war effort despite lacking official support from the military.

The unit is funded by donations and stocked with faulty rounds they repair themselves as well as weapons captured from the enemy

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

so uh...ten people? one third of one quarter of 143 is about ten people lol

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Weka posted:

Ahhh, Rome, with their pathetic 2000 year total existence.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Cerebral Bore posted:

the one good thing about the nordics is that we do get some p drat good bread

I'm sorry, did you drop your rugbrød? Been using it as a doorstop...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The point of the transparency law, ironically, is to figure that out.

They can't all be paid, right?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Roma actually comes from "Roman" too, according to recent research.

When the Romani people entered the western world from India, they apparently did so through the province of Egypt (hence, "Gypsies" according to some etymologists). They received some sort of grant of citizenship or permission for being there, which they turned into an ethnonym, "Ῥωμαῖος", Rhōmaîos, Romans. They were, as far as they were concerned, the (Indian descended) people of Rome, the same as any other people given permission to enter Roman lands (or citizenship, that's a little murky).

Somehow, in their travels, things got complicated so that both they and the (present day) Romanians, who were mostly Slavs, ended up living in the province of Dacia Ripensis, which was lost to the Roman Empire around 600, and, miraculously, both held onto a Roman identity (or at least name) longer than practically anyone else who was cut off from the Empire.

I have a book about this somewhere around here, it might be in my home office though.

So the Romanians are Roman the way Iranians are Aryan- technically correct, but functionally the exact opposite when things actually shake down

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dokapon Findom posted:

So the Romanians are Roman the way Iranians are Aryan- technically correct, but functionally the exact opposite when things actually shake down

Romanian is a Romance language and Dacia was a part of the empire for nearly 200 years so they have as valid a claim as anyone.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

How do younread this as anything other than horrifying or desperate. Like those pictures before the invasion started of Azov guys training Babushkas with AK47s

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

FirstnameLastname posted:

"yakub was the good guy" hotep revisionism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

How do younread this as anything other than horrifying or desperate. Like those pictures before the invasion started of Azov guys training Babushkas with AK47s

Admittedly using “formerly” faulty ammo seems to be the worst part.

As far as Tbilisi, the protest got broken up by riot police and the government they will go for the second trading, it needs a third reading and a veto override to get into law.

Some more movement on the Donbas front, it seems like the Russians are also moving as well as north. It would actually be interesting if they make it to Pokrovsk, it would actually change the dynamics of the war if they did so, pretty much the other Ukrainians positions in the Donbass would be in jeopardy.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

As far as Tbilisi, the protest got broken up by riot police and the government they will go for the second trading, it needs a third reading and a veto override to get into law.

Is China the only country to figure out how to deal with the colour revolution playbook of baiting a heavy handed response?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

As in suppress the protest and destroy the CIA field office?

Maybe, but that one is upto the CIA to gently caress up.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
U.S.-provided precision-guided munitions have failed in mission after mission in Ukraine, taken down by Russian electronic warfare. On Wednesday, the Pentagon revealed the latest casualty.

A new ground-launched version of an air-to-ground weapon developed for Ukraine on a rapid timeline failed to hit targets in part because of Russian electro-magnetic warfare, Bill LaPlante, the Pentagon's acquisition chief, said at an event held by think tank CSIS.

LaPlante suggested that Ukraine may no longer be interested in the weapon. “When you send something to people in the fight of their lives that just doesn’t work, they’ll try it three times and they’ll just throw it aside,” said LaPlante. In congressional testimony in March, Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Daniel Patt said the targeting system for the GPS-guided Excalibur round “dropped from 70 percent effectiveness to 6 percent effectiveness over a matter of a few months as new EW mechanisms came out” in Ukraine.

Russian electronic warfare attacks have also directed GMLRS missiles off course, CNN reported last spring. The missiles are similarly guided by a GPS. Russia has also successfully used electronic warfare against GPS-guided Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs), which are retrofitted aerial bombs.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

KomradeX posted:

I think a lot of people in Georgia just want to get theirs and say screw everyone else in the country. Neoliberalism is great for the few that can secure the cushy NGO gigs.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Georgia will always belong to Russia. I'm very tired of these corrupt mini states.

Putin's continued meekness will undo the Russian empire. The next Russian Big Man will humiliate Europe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

U.S.-provided precision-guided munitions have failed in mission after mission in Ukraine, taken down by Russian electronic warfare. On Wednesday, the Pentagon revealed the latest casualty.

A new ground-launched version of an air-to-ground weapon developed for Ukraine on a rapid timeline failed to hit targets in part because of Russian electro-magnetic warfare, Bill LaPlante, the Pentagon's acquisition chief, said at an event held by think tank CSIS.

LaPlante suggested that Ukraine may no longer be interested in the weapon. “When you send something to people in the fight of their lives that just doesn’t work, they’ll try it three times and they’ll just throw it aside,” said LaPlante. In congressional testimony in March, Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Daniel Patt said the targeting system for the GPS-guided Excalibur round “dropped from 70 percent effectiveness to 6 percent effectiveness over a matter of a few months as new EW mechanisms came out” in Ukraine.

Russian electronic warfare attacks have also directed GMLRS missiles off course, CNN reported last spring. The missiles are similarly guided by a GPS. Russia has also successfully used electronic warfare against GPS-guided Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs), which are retrofitted aerial bombs.

Yeah Russian improvements in jamming especially of GPS kind of throws the United States’ whole big strategy against their enemies off. The future was suppose to be GPS guided everything that was going to be so precise it could be a reliable force multiplier. If the Russians can jam or at least disrupt JDAMs and GMLRS rockets it becomes a good question of what is suppose to be doing the damage because it isn’t HE or DPICM rounds.

Also, it is true that the Russians haven’t gone as deep into stealth as the US of China, but they also have put a lot of weight on radar jamming in the skies. You can have a a great stealth aircraft but if the radar on it is being jammed, it is going to be an issue. The Ukrainians have been getting AWACS support but in a hot war they are going to be one of the first targets.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OctaMurk posted:

next paragraph from the same guys: china is only a paper tiger

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

Yeah Russian improvements in jamming especially of GPS kind of throws the United States’ whole big strategy against their enemies off. The future was suppose to be GPS guided everything that was going to be so precise it could be a reliable force multiplier. If the Russians can jam or at least disrupt JDAMs and GMLRS rockets it becomes a good question of what is suppose to be doing the damage because it isn’t HE or DPICM rounds.

I realize the forces on firing and acceleration are different with rockets, but since the GPS units fail all the time on shells anyway, I wonder how much of this is the rockets not having very good GPS systems to begin with? Seems like a great way to explain away faulty equipment.

"Japanese torpedo jammers are causing the Mark 14 torpedo to run deep, and for the detonator to fail"

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Ardennes posted:

Also, it is true that the Russians haven’t gone as deep into stealth as the US of China, but they also have put a lot of weight on radar jamming in the skies. You can have a a great stealth aircraft but if the radar on it is being jammed, it is going to be an issue. The Ukrainians have been getting AWACS support but in a hot war they are going to be one of the first targets.

Along that line - the effectiveness of stealth aircraft against modern air defenses in a peer conflict hasn't really been tested so far, and betting the farm on it working as advertised is risky.

We'll have to wait until Ukraine gets F-35s in 2028.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nonsense posted:

Georgia will always belong to Russia. I'm very tired of these corrupt mini states.

Putin's continued meekness will undo the Russian empire. The next Russian Big Man will humiliate Europe.

Georgia, armenia and azerbijan belong to Iran!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I realize the forces on firing and acceleration are different with rockets, but since the GPS units fail all the time on shells anyway, I wonder how much of this is the rockets not having very good GPS systems to begin with? Seems like a great way to explain away faulty equipment.

"Japanese torpedo jammers are causing the Mark 14 torpedo to run deep, and for the detonator to fail"

I dont think US GPS guided bombs or rockets have had this much trouble anywhere else so I think its a lot more likely to be the jamming

The forces on an artillery shell I have to imagine are at least an order of magnitude, maybe multiple orders of magnitude greater than on a rocket, but I assume you have the numbers in some book somewhere

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

i can't believe the guys with zero leverage over their providers are getting scammed by broken weapons, who could have foreseen this

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

why not just make the rocket artillery gyro guided? seems like that would be cheaper than a gps anyw- oh ok i guess i understand

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

KomradeX posted:

They can't all be paid, right?

Most of them are either already getting a salary from some western funded NGO or are hoping to secure one of those jobs.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I would just replace the jammable GPS module with a laser detector and put an IR laser designator on the aircraft. Maybe the US could look into this space age technology for their 6th generation aircraft.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Freezer posted:

Along that line - the effectiveness of stealth aircraft against modern air defenses in a peer conflict hasn't really been tested so far, and betting the farm on it working as advertised is risky.

We'll have to wait until Ukraine gets F-35s in 2028.

Yeah it is compounding multiple issues at once: first you have the availability issue, then you have the radar/AD/enemy fighter issue, and even if you got through those you have GPS jamming. The F-35 can’t fit a JASSM in its internal bays, it can externally mount a long range variant of the HARM that is just now being produced in small quantities.

(That said usual procedure at this point is only to turn on radars unless absolutely necessary.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Apr 29, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I would just replace the jammable GPS module with a laser detector and put an IR laser designator on the aircraft. Maybe the US could look into this space age technology for their 6th generation aircraft.

They got scammed into paying a king's ransom for the copperhead, just like they later would for excalibur.

Even the new JDAM + laser bombs cost significantly more than just Paveway kit + JDAM kit would on paper, from what I remember.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The press gang videos are so hosed up

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

They got scammed into paying a king's ransom for the copperhead, just like they later would for excalibur.

Even the new JDAM + laser bombs cost significantly more than just Paveway kit + JDAM kit would on paper, from what I remember.

slidewhistle.wav

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Mr Hootington posted:

The press gang videos are so hosed up

This is what defending democracy looks like.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Nonsense's style of posting is syq's but from a slightly different universe than this one

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is what defending democracy looks like.

Mark Ames retweeted one of 2 guys with nazi patches trying to snatch a dude in a grocery store parking lot. Other customers came to the guys rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

Nonsense's style of posting is syq's but from a slightly different universe than this one

free him