Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SixteenShells posted:

it's probably my own burger-poisoned brain but the idea of doing all that poo poo to restore a monarchy is loving wild to me.
It's the same problem we're in now, with billionaire-worship (admittedly a fad that seems to have passed) and other derangements of centrism. If you're terrified of both the right and left, your only hope for the future is some kind of mystical nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Uncle Wemus posted:

Won't someone please think of the moderates! :qqsay:

President Biden’s reelection campaign faces the difficult task of appealing to moderate Republicans who may feel like they don’t have a place to go this election with former President Trump on the ballot.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4624914-joe-biden-nikki-haley-moderates/

president biden's reelection campaign faces the difficult task of doing the same thing every democrat does every election cycle

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

persecuted journalists
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1784597987089334605

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1784600647716806686

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I hadn't thought of the protest thing, good point. Protest is only allowed if it's... well not protesting anything, as you say, but feeding directly into it.

I know there's that meme of Mesoamericans making a human sacrifice, but if you wrote down all of the elements of our political system, it's hard to see it as not mostly ritual based at this point imo - at least as far as popular participation goes. A Shell executive probably does see politics as the contestation of material resources through networks of power, because he can make a phone call (appeal to a representative) and have something happen (policy changes as a result of popular will).
Weirdly, protesting is a sort of "dark money": you can advocate policies generally associated with Democrats and criticize those generally associated with Republicans, or vice versa, in places and in ways that would be discouraged or outright illegal if the speech was explicitly partisan. Of course this is tied into the fact that political nonprofits are almost entirely grift and part of the upper-to-middle-class economy of a few major cities in the US.

As for the ritualistic nature of voting, I'm not the kind of person who goes around shrieking "Don't vote, voting is evil" because individual votes are insignificant and I don't care. But yeah the primary purpose of elections is to legitimize the regime, not to decide its policies nor to choose the people who actually make those decisions. The decisions will be made by the ghouls lurking in the wine caves.

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Excelzior posted:

piss tape israel

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

i checked that spreadsheet and theres alot more companies in there that directly invest with israel that the uni has money in

but anyway yes they can simply do that and walk away but its better i guess they go after people protesting genocide

If you do what the protestors want, people might get the impression they have a say in anything and we can't have that

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Every generation has to have the idea that direct action can be productive crushed out of them

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

the hard part obviously is it's effectively a boycott of israel, which is politically problematic with elite opinion.

even if the money hypothetically amounted to a pittance of the portfolio, the billionaire donors with much larger purse strings are currently personally calling the universities to rid them of the protestors

it's also literally against the law in most states because of anti-BDS legislation that would affect state colleges & universities.

quote:

As of 2024, 38 states have passed bills and executive orders designed to discourage boycotts of Israel. Many of them have been passed with broad bipartisan support. Most anti-BDS laws have taken one of two forms: contract-focused laws requiring government contractors to promise that they are not boycotting Israel; and investment-focused laws, mandating public investment funds to avoid entities boycotting Israel.

meanwhile the feds are being pressured to pass a federal anti-bds law.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

cool

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

oh poo poo this isn't good. I went to a state school
Go to a state school

www.natesilver.net posted:

These days, I use Twitter in two ways: first, to blatantly shill for this newsletter and other things I’m trying to promote. And second, as a sort of staging area for takes. Sometimes those takes are intentionally trollish, while others contain the seed of something more serious. Here is one recent example:

Wait, was I serious about this one? Yeah, more or less. If I were advising a friend’s son or daughter facing Decision Day, I’d tell them to pass on the Ivy League and go to a high-quality state school instead under some conditions. …

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a winning message:

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1784951750262395237

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Drag a $100 bill through a trailer park, and I know what you'll find: James Carville.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the article is pretty good lol

what about Trump?, I asked Hammoud. How does he square support for someone who was widely seen as favorable to the Israeli government? “Biden is deeply committed to Zionism, a true believer, not acting on the whims of some lobby. That scares me a lot more,” Hammoud said. On this front, he says, he prefers someone like Trump. “Let’s assume my nonvote for Biden is a vote for Trump automatically. That indirect vote for Trump brings a guy into office who I don’t know what he will do. At the worst, he will be nasty toward us here, like he was in the past. And we can fight him within the law. I cannot fight Joe Biden when he stands with Israel,” he said.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's weird all the things he's listing went to poo poo under the current administration

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You little loving 38 year old cspam gently caress

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Ooh some real nice anti-succ today

“If Trump were president right now, this war might’ve been over, because there might have been enough uproar from rank-and-file Democrats,” he said. “I think we have a lot of power in not being wed to a party.”

Yeah, it's a really stark difference as to what democrats see as lines in the sand when it comes to which party is in power, and we've seen them simply disappear issues that they objected to prior to biden's presidency.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

did they talk about how their buddies chopped up Jamal Kashoggi like a ham or are we fully memory holing that now

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

dems should do something other than running a 90 year old raper genocider

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, it's a really stark difference as to what democrats see as lines in the sand when it comes to which party is in power, and we've seen them simply disappear issues that they objected to prior to biden's presidency.

I remember when COVID ended as soon as biden took office

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

shutup you stupid old as gently caress piece of poo poo.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

The really stupid thing about the university protests and the admins' refusals is that the demand isn't even hard. It's not like they're asking the university to burn the money in its portfolio in a dumpster. Just invest it in literally anything else. The Columbia protest's website specifically names Microsoft, Alphabet, Amazon, and a list of other companies represented in ETFs. Here's the thing though, and this is where I might be just confused or misreading things.

Someone put together a spreadsheet showing all of Columbia's investments they want the fund to divest from. The students are basically asking the university to move about $200,000* worth of stock, and 95% of it is direct stocks in three companies. It would be piss easy to do this. The whole endowment is $13 billion in assets with annual surpluses in the hundred million dollar range, the students are asking them to take 0.0015% of that and do something with it that isn't related to genocide, and the university is acting like the students want the college to dissolve.

* $173,265.46 total, $164,306.00 of which is in Apple, Microsoft, and Alphabet

I thought that in the case of Columbia especially that a lot of students were upset that there was a Tel Aviv campus being built that Palestinian students wouldn't be able to access by nature of the aparthaid state?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol (at the writer) literally everyone except for one vote blue no matter who guy (like him) calls him out including family

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

did they talk about how their buddies chopped up Jamal Kashoggi like a ham or are we fully memory holing that now

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/murtazasolangi/status/1325393810017447936

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hello

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I thought that in the case of Columbia especially that a lot of students were upset that there was a Tel Aviv campus being built that Palestinian students wouldn't be able to access by nature of the aparthaid state?

Yeah that's number two on their list. You're right, not all the demands are as easy to meet as the endowment one. I guess my real point was that the investment piece of it is a pretty low bar to clear and they won't even do that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HallelujahLee posted:

the trump thread has like 3 actual russiagate believers amongst other insane poo poo

I find calling libs who believe this election deniers is pretty fun irl.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I find calling libs who believe this election deniers is pretty fun irl.

they're incredibly stupid

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

HallelujahLee posted:

lol (at the writer) literally everyone except for one vote blue no matter who guy (like him) calls him out including family

the attitude of “I’m right though you should vote harder than you ever had why are you people like this” that comes through lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think that clear, specific demands are a big reason the protests are so threatening. Also, kudos to whoever trained the protesters to direct media to media liaisons, instead of talking to them and letting them cherry-pick the craziest random half-sentences for broadcast.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a biden superpac should cut this into a campaign ad

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

holefoods posted:

the attitude of “I’m right though you should vote harder than you ever had why are you people like this” that comes through lol

yeah i was chuckling at the end when his family owned him

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

its the genocide, stupid

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/DoctorFishbones/status/1784920362590904762

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

this guy is awesome. gently caress biden.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

they're all just out of frame, enthusiastically cheering for Joe Biden

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

the article is pretty good lol

what about Trump?, I asked Hammoud. How does he square support for someone who was widely seen as favorable to the Israeli government? “Biden is deeply committed to Zionism, a true believer, not acting on the whims of some lobby. That scares me a lot more,” Hammoud said. On this front, he says, he prefers someone like Trump. “Let’s assume my nonvote for Biden is a vote for Trump automatically. That indirect vote for Trump brings a guy into office who I don’t know what he will do. At the worst, he will be nasty toward us here, like he was in the past. And we can fight him within the law. I cannot fight Joe Biden when he stands with Israel,” he said.

he's right. trump won't be better, but isn't an insane zealot for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

surely this is a satire account