Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one downside to playing FF14 with controller while sitting in bed is that I'm not sure how to communicate with other players. Otherwise I vastly prefer using a controller, since you can actually fit all the buttons in relatively intuitive ways.

Maybe I should just get a cheap wireless keyboard or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
every video game where you can die has multiple characters with the same name. you really think mario has a hundred lives and just reanimates after falling into a pit lined with spikes? nope, that's a new mario that shows up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

donkey kong country features two people named donkey kong

they're junior and senior it doesn't count

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Faran Brygo and Mad Dog Fargo are, mathematically speaking, the same name

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

so you haven't played fallout 4.

i have but aren't the elevation changes in that mostly due to buildings? and on the order of hundreds of meters? i don't see how that would be substantially different than what you could do with any other city/region.
i can't really think of any games that have really drastic elevation changes without just going between different z levels á la breath zelda, though. maybe the mountain in gta 5?
i guess the issue with having an extreme elevation difference would be that if the world was at all realistic, having an elevation change of thousands of meters would necessarily require an extremely large map

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

The one downside to playing FF14 with controller while sitting in bed is that I'm not sure how to communicate with other players. Otherwise I vastly prefer using a controller, since you can actually fit all the buttons in relatively intuitive ways.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hatebag posted:

i have but aren't the elevation changes in that mostly due to buildings? and on the order of hundreds of meters? i don't see how that would be substantially different than what you could do with any other city/region.
i can't really think of any games that have really drastic elevation changes without just going between different z levels á la breath zelda, though. maybe the mountain in gta 5?
i guess the issue with having an extreme elevation difference would be that if the world was at all realistic, having an elevation change of thousands of meters would necessarily require an extremely large map

You are correct that the natural terrain differences in these games is 100s of meters. It’s true. I challenge you in Miami to find a way to do natural terrain elevation differences in increments of more than a couple dozen meters. You’re clearly ignoring how flat south Florida is

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Had one of these for my Xbox which made sending angry messages to all the pwople who owned me in Halo 3 SWAT much easier

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Every video game takes place in Denmark.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Thinking of Danish High Hrothgar lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You are correct that the natural terrain differences in these games is 100s of meters. It’s true. I challenge you in Miami to find a way to do natural terrain elevation differences in increments of more than a couple dozen meters. You’re clearly ignoring how flat south Florida is

well, it's fallout, so what if they accidentally quadruple nuked miami. nuking cities i think the idea is that they shoot a bunch of mirv warheads in a circle around the target so that the heat/pressure/radiation from the warheads combines. so maybe there could be a scenario where all the skyscrapers get melted into one gigantic slag heap a few hundred meters high and then nearby a gigantic sink hole full of mutant fire ants.
bingo bongo, that's an elevation difference

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ytlaya posted:

i would say like 95% of my time with ff14 the most i've needed to chat is "hello" and "gg" at the start and end of a roulette, which you could just macro

that game's playerbase has an almost disturbing terminator-like efficiency for demolishing any and all content in perfect silence

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chortling a little bit that in the beta branch of Orb of Creation my wizard is doing all of his usual stuff while simultaneously chopping wood pretty much all the time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DaysBefore posted:

dragon tongue is just swedish

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hatebag posted:

well, it's fallout, so what if they accidentally quadruple nuked miami. nuking cities i think the idea is that they shoot a bunch of mirv warheads in a circle around the target so that the heat/pressure/radiation from the warheads combines. so maybe there could be a scenario where all the skyscrapers get melted into one gigantic slag heap a few hundred meters high and then nearby a gigantic sink hole full of mutant fire ants.
bingo bongo, that's an elevation difference

Would t that sinkhole be full of water? And idk you’re really stretching to make Miami a good setting when it’s objectively been the least fun GTA setting over the years and I don’t trust Bethesda to do any better

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

i was having a blast in jam mode singing numb over 3 different drum track at max tempo

it's such a dumb mechanic that shouldn't mesh with the rest of the game at all but it does and in fact makes it the best it's ever been

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Next new Fallout location should be New Orleans. No further discussion needed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DaysBefore posted:

did an alt-history Katrina happen in the universe yes/no

it’s a very important distinction

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

I’d take it over Miami if nothing else to see just how horrendously racist they’d get or if they’d manage to dodge that bullet

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Xaris posted:

did an alt-history Katrina happen in the universe yes/no

it’s a very important distinction

Fallout lore master explaining how not inventing microchips prevented Katrina lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’d take it over Miami if nothing else to see just how horrendously racist they’d get or if they’d manage to dodge that bullet

It'd be like any other Fallout where with the small exception of the pre-war Chinese concentration camps American and post-American society is blissfully postracial

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Fallout New Orleans sounds cool. anything in the South really.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DaysBefore posted:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Fallout Houston and the soundtrack is all chopped and screwed hip hop instead of 50s americana

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

It'd be like any other Fallout where with the small exception of the pre-war Chinese concentration camps American and post-American society is blissfully postracial

I think they’d have a really hard time fighting the urge to go way deep into voodoo and such?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think they’d have a really hard time fighting the urge to go way deep into voodoo and such?

that would be cool

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
maybe try embracing other cultures instead of reflexively dismissing them

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Minuteman-esque faction except they're all wearing grey uniforms and nobody ever mentions it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
a side quest to find an automotive fusion core so you can drive a rad slab all over town

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yep it definitely must have the voodoo clan… or shall we say voodoo klan (postracial Todd Howard harmony)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Just as Fallout 4 was fully of funny bad Boston Irish guy accents Fallout New New Orleans would be full of bad Cajunnaccents and therefore, would all be worth it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Fallout NO, all the raiders would look like the Diablo witch doctor.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It could be really cool or it could be entirely fumbled and really offensive and I don’t know that I trust them to get it right except…

Xaris posted:

yep it definitely must have the voodoo clan… or shall we say voodoo klan (postracial Todd Howard harmony)

Oh gently caress the needle has been threaded you’re a loving genius

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Would t that sinkhole be full of water? And idk you’re really stretching to make Miami a good setting when it’s objectively been the least fun GTA setting over the years and I don’t trust Bethesda to do any better

it would be full of water to about the groundwater depth, which is dependent on elevation above sea level among other things. that's one reason i thought the ocean boiling away could have some potential for more variety in the environment.
idk, post apocalyptic miami seems like it's got legs. gators, ghouls wearing white suits, cocaine, there's a lot to work with there.
new orleans also has potential despite also being very flat. it's a city with character. san francisco could also be a good one, though it was in 2. nyc i guess if you could go to all 5 boroughs.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fallout 5 mission that's just basically the plot of hard target

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

did you just say vice city was the least fun gta because if so gtfo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

did you just say vice city was the least fun gta because if so gtfo

thank you for speaking up about this

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't wait for the insanely fail political commentary in GTA 6. It's going to be so bad and I'm going to love every minute of it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

Fallout NO, all the raiders would look like the Diablo witch doctor.

Lol