Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It would be very funny if typing wpm on resumes come back.

At my old job I started asking about it in interviews. We didn't need much typing, but a manager would have to do plenty. I had to teach a 22 year old to copy and paste instead of typing something out multiple times. God help you if you ask for something in a spreadsheet. Excel/Sheets is a very rare skill now in that cohort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tighclops posted:

if the kids learn anything or grow up valuing curiosity instead of having it stamped out of them at a young age then they might become irritatingly dissatisfied with their lovely lot in life, and we can't have that

iirc in Ontario students the greatest marker of success is having a parent around to help them with homework, who was themselves academically successful, and is engaged with the material.

Which seems to be an opaque way to say that class is the greatest determinant. Since this is Ontario, I feel confident saying doing things that make the parents' lives better, and so their kids' education, will never happen.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
what if we tied school lunches to academic performance as an incentive for poor children to simply do better if they want to eat?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I got the solution, tuition for HS. Bing bong budget solved.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cursive is loving useless ff you idiot

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is anyone replacing teachers with AI yet. Maybe that will fix things

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

CLAM DOWN posted:

cursive is loving useless ff you idiot

You can’t print with an Onoto, QED cursive is not useless.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
might as well teach shorthand too

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

RealityWarCriminal posted:

might as well teach shorthand too

Yes.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

skill issue

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Boys should be taught how to tend a farm and girls be taught how to sew and do housework

Canada already tried a program like this and now it's time to adapt it for all children

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we just need to relocate them to live at the schools in the various parts of the country that need labour

iirc there's a system on the books already, they'd just have to expand the eligibility

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

we just need to relocate them to live at the schools in the various parts of the country that need labour

iirc there's a system on the books already, they'd just have to expand the eligibility

residential schools, now rebranded as katimavik

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Bring back Mavis Beacon, iPad kids can’t use physical keyboards to save their lives.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

guessing these vape detectors are just really sensitive smoke detectors that are gonna need to be disabled during wildfire season

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

good, i'm taking your stupid pens away from you, keyboard only bitch

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Housefucker calling for the McGill encampment to be dismantled because he's a racist cockhead

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
starting to think a lot of people in power just don't like tents

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/AHousefather/status/1782465161405563263

"a more active approach"

and this was before Canadian universities joined in on the encampments.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I hate him so much

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

[canada] It has actually empowered the haters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

crispyseaweed posted:

https://twitter.com/AHousefather/status/1782465161405563263

"a more active approach"

and this was before Canadian universities joined in on the encampments.

the kind of person who refers to kent state as "a good start"

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

pokeyman posted:

starting to think a lot of people in power just don't like tents

Or longhouses, wigwams, igloos...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

shut up lib zionist bitch

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

gently caress I’m gonna have to teach my two children how to use a computer and how to type, myself, aren’t I? that sucks, it’s absolutely something school should teach. oh well, I’ll keep drinking that garbage.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

gently caress I’m gonna have to teach my two children how to use a computer and how to type, myself, aren’t I? that sucks, it’s absolutely something school should teach. oh well, I’ll keep drinking that garbage.

Yep! And don’t forget file management, effective use of a search terms, managing multiple tabs and windows and basic computer problem solving.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
teaching your kids how to post

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Do they still make educational computer games that teach you how to type?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Yes, but there are basically no computers in schools (at least my district), especially before grade 6 as districts just moved to get iPads and download the responsibility to parents to provide private devices (cell phones) which are actually quite useful as a teacher for the kids to have in class.

now they’re getting banned in BC too, with no money to have any devices to fill the gap.

As a teacher I’ve never had any problems with cell phones other than having to say “Hey put that away for now” once a day or so. Not really a big issue…:confused:

ARACHTION has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Apr 29, 2024

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Do they still make educational computer games that teach you how to type?

Sure do. And it has co-op

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Housefather is kinda why I think the foreign agent registry idea is going no where. Either that or they'll make exceptions for particular countr- oh gently caress it's gonna be that isn't it

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I’ve never heard of Housefather before he got all sad that people want a genocide to stop and I thought the thread had made up a stupid nickname for someone rather than him having a name that stupid.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

crispyseaweed posted:

Housefather is kinda why I think the foreign agent registry idea is going no where. Either that or they'll make exceptions for particular countr- oh gently caress it's gonna be that isn't it

they would have to investigate mps and that will never happen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RealityWarCriminal posted:

they would have to investigate mps and that will never happen

they do that easily enough, they just have to have some kind of visible east-asian heritage

ask han dong how much they don't investigate mps

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

oh yeah forgot about that guy

they would have to investigate 300 mps and that's too much

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Justin trudeau is working for the americans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well he certainly isn't working for canadians

:rimshot:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Epic article about a Hamilton cop who put the boots to an unconscious Indigenous man. This next part will surprise you, but he wasn't fired and instead received a temporary demotion from the disciplinary committee headed by a former cop

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/wren-assault-tomchuk-1.7188602

Even the department wanted to fire him lol. Dunno why they can't just fire him anyway but whatever. Pigs stay winning

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they probably can't fire him because the police association went to bat for him and their collective agreement doesn't allow it

you have to be a colossal bastard to other police before you've got a shot at getting fired

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Wow, they actually fired a TPS cop for misconduct (after he pled guilty to all charges):

quote:

According to Gomes’ ruling, a copy of which was provided to the Star, Holmes was working in the downtown 52 Division in 2017 when he stopped a cyclist for running a red light. When the cyclist refused to provide identification, Holmes moved to handcuff and arrest him, pushing him to the ground and breaking his collarbone and one of his big toes.

Holmes began working for the service in 2008 as a cadet in training and was sworn in as an officer the following year.

At a tribunal hearing this May, Gomes heard the constable faced his first formal discipline in 2012, when he was found guilty of misconduct for posting a picture on Facebook that showed a police officer holding a baton with the words “I’m gonna kick your a-- and get away with it.” He was made to forfeit one day’s pay as penalty.

In the 2017 case involving the cyclist, the Special Investigations Unit, a provincial watchdog that investigates incidents involving police where there is serious injury or death, charged Holmes with assault causing bodily harm. He was convicted in 2019 and sentenced to one year of probation. His appeal of the conviction was denied.

In 2018, while awaiting trial on the criminal charge and on restricted duties, Holmes was leaving a parking lot on Simcoe Street in his black Corvette when a cyclist travelling in the wrong direction forced him to come to a sudden stop. Identifying himself as a police officer, Holmes used “profane, abusive and insulting” language towards the man, including the comments about millennials.
Holmes was also found guilty of discreditable conduct for berating a different cyclist while off duty, declaring “all millennials are d--ks” and “this is a whole generation of f--k-ups,” according to Gomes’ ruling.

The other charges he was found guilty of were misconduct and insubordination for using “profane, misogynistic and racist” language in “inappropriate” and at times “threatening” emails and texts to other members of the service, including calling a professional standards investigator assigned to several of his cases a “c--t” in an email.
[His lawyer] told the tribunal that Holmes suffered serious illness, detailing diagnoses of post-traumatic stress disorder, major depressive disorder and alcohol use disorder he said were a result of Holmes’ police work, which the officer noted in his WSIB claim included attending suicides, death investigations and being exposed to HIV.
Quite the career there but I'm curious to learn how being exposed to HIV leads to assaulting cyclists.

bolded the thing that cost the officer his job

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Apparently a Gaza solidarity encampment is going up today at UBC. LFG!