Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he took her to her high school prom lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Old comedian has lost touch with the cultural moment and no longer knows how to cross the line without completely blowing past it

Many such cases

he also did this a few years ago and it was caused by him making a joke about the french monarchy on fallon or kimmel and getting no laughs

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao the avatar

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

he also did this a few years ago and it was caused by him making a joke about the french monarchy on fallon or kimmel and getting no laughs

this was the "scrolling through your phone makes you look like a gay king" joke from his latest special, IIRC

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

(seeing your avatar and loling) what were we talking about again

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jerry was always the least funny one even in his own show

also the least competent actor by a country mile

he stood on the shoulders of so many giants

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gallaghar going insane because all anyone cared about was the watermelon smashing so he just got really racist and homophobic and still all anyone cared about were the watermelons

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
and tbh it's not even that bad of a joke his delivery just sucks. if the punchline is "you look like a gay king" you gotta fuckin play up being a Gay King bro

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DaysBefore posted:

Lmfao the avatar

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lot of comedians going insane when they realize they arent funny...

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mr Hootington posted:

I watched New Tale of Zatoichi and smokey and the bandit this weekend. Both are excellent movies.

For a second I thought there was a crossover where Zatoichi somehow met Smokey and the Bandit. I would definitely watch that.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gallaghar going insane because all anyone cared about was the watermelon smashing so he just got really racist and homophobic and still all anyone cared about were the watermelons

there was that fun word pronunciation bit, that was a good Gallagher gag (GGG)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al! posted:

"you cant control who you love"

hearing this in that not-quite-yelling tone that jerry uses

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

there's plenty of funny stuff on tv today

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

For a second I thought there was a crossover where Zatoichi somehow met Smokey and the Bandit. I would definitely watch that.

you have to put in the Smokey and the Bandit cartridge first and then add the Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman 3 cartridge on top

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Smokey and the Ronin

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he took her to her high school prom lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

my dad's biggest claim to fame is heckling jerry about the teenager and jerry answering something like "you cant control who you love" lol

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

Yeah I put YouTube on my TV

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

Lmfao the avatar

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

I watched New Tale of Zatoichi and smokey and the bandit this weekend. Both are excellent movies.

I've been slowly going through the criterion box and have been watching the discs in reverse order. Finally saw the first one yesterday. Think some of the best ones are Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, Zatoichi at the Fire Festival, and Zatoichi the Outlaw.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAdw8tycZNU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

comics have been complaining about pc culture since the 90s.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Nichael posted:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus topped her own Seinfeld work with Veep and other things. It is quite curious why Jerry cannot do this. Hmm????

Larry David also did this with Curb. which wasn't as strong the last couple seasons, but still funny, and got away with wildly "offensive" poo poo because it made sense thematically. audiences are able to tell the difference between laughing at bigotry vs laughing at the bigot

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ArmedZombie posted:

comics have been complaining about pc culture since the 90s.

coincidentally happens to line up with the end of the famous stand-up comedy boom

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's kind of meta-funny to have all your material over time become about how people don't think you're funny anymore

i bet neil hamburger could do a lot with something like that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the milk machine posted:

it's kind of meta-funny to have all your material over time become about how people don't think you're funny anymore

this is essentially tim heidecker's special

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

the album where he opens for Tenacious D and is being heckled the entire time rules

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al! posted:

he's a genius imo. both of em

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

dude was explicitly a "clean comic" who never swore to avoid offending people and maximize his appeal. shut the gently caress up Jerry Seinfeld. go suck an IDF dick

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Gallaghers twin brother going on tour pretending to be him until his brother sued him to stop

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Al! posted:

its really good

the part where hes trying to tell a joke about being offered pepsi instead of coke at the movies and keeps loving it up and getting madder and madder at the audience *chef kiss*

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

Gallaghers twin brother going on tour pretending to be him until his brother sued him to stop

and now he's Gallagher 2: The Legally Distinct Sequel To Gallagher

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

There is, he's just being a crybaby

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

indigi posted:

Larry David also did this with Curb. which wasn't as strong the last couple seasons, but still funny, and got away with wildly "offensive" poo poo because it made sense thematically. audiences are able to tell the difference between laughing at bigotry vs laughing at the bigot
Yup, Larry understands you should just be funny and not have a meltdown

the milk machine posted:

Going to see Neil in September and I can't wait

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785029766162342162

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

uh,

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's very well made but I don't like it.

The second episode has this great bit where the lead is doing really terrible prop comedy* and he's just bombing on stage. But then his stalker turns up, and she's this colourful, brazen nonsense person who invades his act, but because she's so utterly wild everyone in the audience starts to think that they're a double act. The audience starts laughing, and he starts playing into it, thus binding the two of them even closer together. You're left this sickening sort of realisation that despite his disgust for her and her beahviour, appearance, etc. which he views as declasse and beneath him, he's actually happy to encourage their connection if it means he gets to exploit her on his terms. The episode's arguing that with her he's capable of achieving some success, and without her he's less than mediocre.

And that's been the main thing that's stuck with me from the show. On some level this show is essentially a successful man using a powerful platform (Netflix) to exploit a mentally ill woman for his personal gain. If a lot of what he's saying on his show is true then she's not a good person, probably, but it doesn't stop the power disparity from existing or the show from feeling like punching down on someone who we're meant to believe is so mentally ill she can barely look after herself.

So much of this could have been avoided if they'd done more to change the details, or they'd just dropped the "based on a true story" part from the title and advertised it as fiction. I get that artists should speak their truths and that art can be very healing and there are a bunch of ways this kind of storytelling can be useful, but, as I said, this still reads as exploitation and the subsequent rubbernecking and stalking this show inspired feels inevitable.

*which different to the guy's real life act; that was a prop supplemented form of anti-comedy, the character's performance in the show is meant to be just straight up bad

In the end this woman sent him 48k emails, hundreds of voice calls, and a level of trauma that she has also imposed on multiple victims including a small child. If he didn't sufficiently hide her identity so that internet sleuths found her, and in fact seems to be embracing the limelight to castigate him further, why should he be limited in telling his story, which was again, forced on him by this woman? I think she should get help and so on, but he shouldn't be limited in the expression of what happened to him, an awful crime, unless it would lead to him being further victimized.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LOTR show was watched but I really doubt it'll have retention. Fallout inexplicably is a good TV show.

I hope Fallout's willingness to be a sequel that actually does continue story elements from the last few games (Commonwealth Brotherhood, the NCR, and some other minor stuff) bucks the constant prequel trend, but I doubt it. Again, it also just helps that it's good TV with a strong cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nichael posted:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus topped her own Seinfeld work with Veep and other things. It is quite curious why Jerry cannot do this. Hmm????

The man made a movie about a bee, what else do you want