Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah I'm not watching Discovery but I can believe the antagonists exist only to provide someone for Burnham to shoot/persuade with an impassioned speech in the finale and are basically unnecessary to the story.
In the last episode, this was what Book did, only it didn’t work because it’s only halfway through the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

They aren't good antagonists. They are easily tricked, and magically get away every time, without the macguffin. The only reason why they can keep up is because the writers keep deus ex machinaing them to have magical devices like that time bug.

Yeah that was hilarious when they repeatedly said "all the shuttles and escape pods are gone" and then at the end "oh I guess the ISS Enterprise had a "warp pod" (??) hidden away all along" just so Lak and Moll could get away again

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I haven't watched Discovery since S2 because it's terrible, but every so often I skim some of the details posted here.

I can't believe the writers are STILL furiously milking the mirror universe. Amazing how out of all the imperial ships to survive 1000 years after the fact, OF COURSE it's the loving ISS Enterprise.

So glad I used my warp pod(?) to GTFO as early as I did. Holy poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Too bad they couldn't catch up to a escape pod from a 900 year old ship with their infinitely fast starship

Though my expectation would actually be the life signs on that pod are fake and Moll and Lak are still hiding on the enterprise. That's what I would do in their situation.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah that was hilarious when they repeatedly said "all the shuttles and escape pods are gone" and then at the end "oh I guess the ISS Enterprise had a "warp pod" (??) hidden away all along" just so Lak and Moll could get away again

It's very Dr. Claw. Next time, GadgetBurnham, next time!

This season is literally just The Chase stretched over ten hours. I think that's the only reason we even have the antagonists at all but beyond that they don't make sense. Discovery has collected clues they now can't get, has information they can't possibly posses. The chase is over - how are they still involved?

Actually wait, how did the time bug thing make sense at all? Did Lak and Moll somehow get the (two?) piece(s) of the map/key thing while Discovery was time looping? Is it going to turn out to not matter at all? Maybe I missed a scene.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Too bad they couldn't catch up to a escape pod from a 900 year old ship with their infinitely fast starship

To be fair, that's like expecting a modern automobile to be able to catch up to a Roman chariot.

Wait...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gollom posted:

Actually wait, how did the time bug thing make sense at all? Did Lak and Moll somehow get the (two?) piece(s) of the map/key thing while Discovery was time looping? Is it going to turn out to not matter at all? Maybe I missed a scene.
No, they never explained that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The chase can just end now. Starfleet doesn't want to create new life so they don't need to find the rest. They can just lock up the pieces they have forever and then no one can get the tech.

Unless that scientist was stupid enough to make it just be a linear search for clues and it doesn't require you to put all the pieces together at the end for the final clue which is that it's hidden under the tree at Starfleet academy that every special boy studies under. They have to contact boothby from beyond the grave, where it is revealed that he was Kirk and Spock's best friend at the academy.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
And here I thought Discovery would pull an Enterprise and git gud at the end, but it still remains Discovery. :allears:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I gave up on the last season or two. It sounds like this season is semi ridiculous. Does it acknowledge the ridiculousness, in which case I might watch it? If it doesn't know it's ridiculous then that's potentially an issue

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Gollom posted:

in the six hours where Disco was getting time burped, they showed up at Disco's last known coordinates, found the wormhole, tried to enter it, got their ship torn apart, evacuated to the ISS Enterprise, found the key piece, and holed up in sickbay to either work out an escape plan or hijack whatever Federation officers followed them in

I try not to write my own script when the writers forget to do it themselves, but I think this is a pretty straightforward thing to conclude from what they showed on-screen

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Khanstant posted:

A Star Trek season does NOT need a villain antagonist, let alone one for the entire season.

Would have been very easy for them to simply be racing Klingons or some other group rather group. I guess for that to work there would have to be Klingons in the 32nd century though. Shame they all died out apparently.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hell, have it be a friendly race against the Vulcaroms Science Academy

CPColin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 29, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ezri said they would, she was right

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

T.C. posted:

I gave up on the last season or two. It sounds like this season is semi ridiculous. Does it acknowledge the ridiculousness, in which case I might watch it? If it doesn't know it's ridiculous then that's potentially an issue

They appear to be deadly serious and earnest about all the crazy poo poo

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Modern Star Trek Megathread: Waves and Waves of Dumb

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Rubber Chicken posted:

Waves and Waves of Dumb

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
No one ever remembers the Captain's Yacht.

Even the Captain.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even the Captain.

Put this up there with transporters and computers in shuttlecraft. Not to mention all the dilithium, deuterium, replicators, weapons, etc,etc

And Discovery apparently has more support craft than Voyager (infinite/ writers don't give a poo poo)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Rubber Chicken posted:

And Discovery apparently has more support craft than Voyager (infinite/ writers don't give a poo poo)

Canonically, Starfleet has had the ability to fabricate spacecraft entirely on-ship since the late 24th century.

I genuinely thought it was hilarious when Prodigy went that route, given how often fans had cracked jokes about how Voyager must have had a shuttle craft replicator.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

This season is significantly better than the last few so far. It’s largely smoothed out its biggest flaws and has been producing some very watchable TV. Its biggest problem is that they decided that the time pressure for the scavenger hunt needed to be antagonists, then wrote some kinda boring ones. The only weak episode so far has, not coincidentally, been the one primarily focused on those antagonists.

Also, the last episode took place on the ISS enterprise because the Enterprise sets were right next door and sticking some swords on the wall is very cheap compared to building a new set.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

blastron posted:

Also, the last episode took place on the ISS enterprise because the Enterprise sets were right next door and sticking some swords on the wall is very cheap compared to building a new set.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have used literally any other ship name.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even the Captain.

Lower Decks uses it multiple times!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Accipiter posted:

It should always be the ISS Defiant. Every time there's a mirror ship, any place, any time, always the ISS Defiant. Just jutting out in every direction of spacetime

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

It should always be the ISS Defiant. Every time there's a mirror ship, any place, any time, always the ISS Defiant. Just jutting out in every direction of spacetime

They should of said they were picking up a transponder for the ISS Defiant, then have the DS9 defiant show up do a fun fakeout.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Chairman posted:

in the six hours where Disco was getting time burped, they showed up at Disco's last known coordinates, found the wormhole, tried to enter it, got their ship torn apart, evacuated to the ISS Enterprise, found the key piece, and holed up in sickbay to either work out an escape plan or hijack whatever Federation officers followed them in

Don't forget that the two of them reached Discovery's coordinates and found a way into the wormhole in under 6 hours. Even leaving the dots running for six hours, plus the time before the time bug activated, the dozens of smartypants starfleet officers didn't detect that wormhole at all. They only found it at all because they followed the other guy's ion trail into a dead end.

Moll is smarter than an entire crew of experienced officers with a not-quite-omniscient AI. Their ship is faster than a ship that can literally travel anywhere in the galaxy instantly. Their sensors are better than a ship that recently had a complete refit to federation state-of-the-art.

gently caress sending them to prison, the federation needs to recruit Moll for their mad scientist program.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Facebook Aunt posted:

gently caress sending them to prison, the federation needs to recruit Moll for their mad scientist program. section 31

Fixed this for likelihood

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Accipiter posted:

It is on the Enterprise very specifically because it was as best possible lightly undoing or at least offering a little bit of welcome redemption to DS9's absolutely dogshit take on the Mirror Universe

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Moll and Lak are a backdoor pilot pair

They want to spin off Star Trek [Most Wanted] like marvel failed to do

The fan base demanded more Pike, surely this will be the same!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Seemlar posted:

It is on the Enterprise very specifically because it was as best possible lightly undoing or at least offering a little bit of welcome redemption to DS9's absolutely dogshit take on the Mirror Universe

It's lazy writing is what it is. And Discovery has been using the mirror universe as a crutch from the get-go.

DS9's handling was dumb and ultra camp but at least the actors had some fun with it. But as a concept it should have began and ended with Mirror, Mirror.

I'm praying SNW never touches it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Things are going great at Paramount, why do you ask

https://twitter.com/annaknicolaou/status/1785047941784199660?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The fact they were using the mirror universe for at least the entire first season and that at this point the majority of Trek involving the MU are from Disco, it would be weird to not cap it off with some too.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Really if they want to do The Chase they should of have multiple antagonists who become allies or betray as the season goes by, that makes it more realistic than two randos know everything and gives multiple ways to have connections beyond those two randos are connected to everyone in the galaxy. Heck, last season they introduced characters trying to take over Emerald Chain remnants, they should be in the mix and easily disposable later in the season for drama.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm pretty sure it was the enterprise because they have the loving sets, it's like free production value

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Facebook Aunt posted:

Shimerman is getting a little old for fight scenes. So is Dorn, for that matter. Best to have skilled stuntmen work with him so he doesn't hurt himself.

Dorn looks great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RIParamount

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Did they fire the CEO for cancelling too many Star Treks?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
They didn’t even bother to threaten the shareholders with Corbomite.

Shameful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the enterprise because they have the loving sets, it's like free production value

Well, it could've been any Connie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

MikeJF posted:

Well, it could've been any Connie.

Now imagine the average Discovery enjoyer

But godDAMN is it stupid that Lt Connie-lover played no part and didn't even geek out