Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

"Come back with power armor" is a good idea in general when you're at a low level. It's intended to be a power boost that makes use of the limited resource of fusion cores.

That said, if you're taking a straight route into downtown Boston you'll also meet a super mutant with a rocket launcher, right after the raider gang led by a guy in power armor, though you can sneak by those guys. There's also one along the Freedom Trail, at Fanueil Hall.

So even if you're specializing in something else, pack along a pipe bolt-action or hunting rifle optimized for range, and if possible pick up Critical Banker so you can sit on a crit. Usually the rocket launcher guys will miss their first shot, after which you can pop into VATS and take their heads off. Or if you haven't got a crit ready, pop some Jet so you have a little time to aim.

Conventional gunplay is much better in Fallout 4, but don't ignore VATS since your action points are still a resource. Drugs are also a resource, and much like power armor, if you're having trouble just inject everything into your veins. Med-X, Psycho, ultra|jet|fuel, whatever. If you get addicted it's a few caps once you're through, probably less than you've made by clearing out wherever it is you went.

The Lost Patrol is the last quest the Brotherhood will have for you until the end of act 1, and it does take you to some relatively tough places. Do the little quests from Rhys and Haylen first, if they're close, or poke around Diamond City and, if you're feeling feisty, Goodneighbor.

Going from point to point in the overworld you're likely to find some stuff that's just too tough for you right now. A horde of glowing ghouls in the Cambridge crater. Carhenge and a big car brother. A Deathclaw lairing by a lake. It's not intended that you pick every fight you run into, though of course quests are different.

For what it's worth, you can usually tell where Super Mutant nests are in F4 by the... Decorations they like to have around. They usually won't see you before you see them.

The biggest bullshit move the Super Mutants pull are the suicide bombers. Sorry Dogmeat, looks like you're taking a nuke for the team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

For what it's worth, you can usually tell where Super Mutant nests are in F4 by the... Decorations they like to have around. They usually won't see you before you see them.

The biggest bullshit move the Super Mutants pull are the suicide bombers. Sorry Dogmeat, looks like you're taking a nuke for the team!

on the flipside, the suicide bombers are a nice source of nuclear material for crafting and it's real nice when you get good at VATS to take one out when they start charging, preferably in the middle of a bunch of their friends, and watch the explosion

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Otacon posted:

The highest level weapons will be 45 or 50. Level 45 weapons aren't inherently less powerful than level 50 weapons - it's just that they were unlocked at, say, level 15 or 25, rather than level 10 or 20.

So am I right in thinking that a level 45 weapon type will never be 50? It moves in ten level increments? If that's the case it's a little simpler than I thought.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

So am I right in thinking that a level 45 weapon type will never be 50? It moves in ten level increments? If that's the case it's a little simpler than I thought.

yes. and buy modules the rng is bad enough already without overpaying for it from the purveyor.
---

I rolled myself a quad explosive railway finally and it's slightly less of a public menace than the +50% crit one; so I'm running around with it for bosses and a quad 50 vats hit chance fixer for trash mobs and not being mean at events. I feel really well balanced now between break rates and only having to carry two ammos anywhere. hell if it wasn't for mutated events I wouldn't even need anything else.

alien invaders starts tomorrow and the april fools day one gave me a glimpse of how hectic it is. the aliens also hit really hard, just hope it's not as buggy as the one day was had a few events just not start.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

The main quest of Fallout 76 also sounds like it is the most boring story of the entire franchise, including the Brotherhood of Steel games.

So there IS a story. Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Freeform Crafting Jazz Odysseys are not my bag, I need to be transported to a world of adventure with well defined goals, so, uh, I'll try this modern Bethesda-written game.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Just to clarify, in 76 when people say they scrap/scrip legendaries they mean sell them to the legendary vending machine at the train stations for legendary scrip which you then use to buy legendary modules at the rusty pick. The modules and legendary cores (from events usually) are used to craft a non legendary item into legendaries, or re-roll the legendary attributes on an existing legendary. The effects you get are still random, but at least it will be on the right item.

If you are starting out, I found the level scaling to be pretty hard to deal with until 50. Its hard to keep up with armor/weapons as the monsters keep getting stronger, particularly around 30. Power armor provides a ton of defensive benefits and can help you get over the hump.

A really great heavy weapon when you are starting out is the gatling gun. It does a lot of damage per shot, has no spin up time, and ammo drops are very generous.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
My first F76 character I never touched PA or heavy weapons and had a great time, I did the sneaky commando VATS thing and did not find it difficult at all. Didn't even get the best experience of that because I locked myself out of getting the Chinese Stealth Armor and had to just live with whatever trash armor I found. I remember Watoga was difficult with all the bots the first time but I got through it. The biggest nuisance was keeping up with ammo (mostly lead farming).
At various points I also played Rifleman, several very good weapon options here that aren't a big deal to obtain. Bow, Crossbow, Lever Action, Gauss, all very good and easy to keep up with ammo.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gauss rifle you’ll be swimming in ammo. Almost every kill gets you a few 2mm ec on the body.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So is specializing in semi automatic pistols not advisable in 76?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Never had ammo problems with the auto .45 Fixer.
It helps ofc that trash like the Uranium Fever miners croak with one headshot, and tougher event spawns like in Moonshine Jamboree or Radiation Rumble from a very short burst.
Goddamn Eviction Notice Firestarters eat a whole mag to the face though :argh:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 30, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

explosivo posted:

tbh I should give it a go with a plasma pistol or something, there's a bunch of pistol options in F76 I've never even tried before.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Flesh Forge posted:

tbh I should give it a go with a plasma pistol or something, there's a bunch of pistol options in F76 I've never even tried before.

For some reason I always gravitate towards them in fallout, right now I have a 44 with a scope that is just popping heads left and right (at level 20) and it feels preeeetty good

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How are unarmed weapons in F076?
I like BIG PUNCHY.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Is there a trick to getting FO76 to run in windowed borderless on a secondary monitor? It just crashed on opening and I have to nuke my settings to get it playable again.

I have a 4k primary and a QHD secondary. I want the game to run windowed borderless on my secondary display and it refuses to do it, and any attention to change display settings just fucks the game up so it won't launch until I reset everything.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Arivia posted:

on the flipside, the suicide bombers are a nice source of nuclear material for crafting and it's real nice when you get good at VATS to take one out when they start charging, preferably in the middle of a bunch of their friends, and watch the explosion

They're a great source of fatman ammo too if you're able to cap 'em in the head before they blow up.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

explosivo posted:

Enemies become bullet sponges later in the game and will eat through your ammo like no tomorrow. I'm sure there is a viable build for them but I would advise against it. The only exception I've seen to this is shotguns, where I end up swimming in ammo.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Inzombiac posted:

How are unarmed weapons in F076?
I like BIG PUNCHY.

unarmed is fun, but you have limited weapon options. Get the legendary perk that gives VATS melee attacks a chance to explode for AOE damage, and become One Punch Man as you drive a powerfist through Scorched so hard they detonate.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Why does the Gauss Shotgun sometimes lock me out of stimming and reloading until I bring up the Pipboy?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dog meat found something! What is it boy? Is it a bad guy? Is it treasure?

(Walk over to where he’s pointing)

(Explodes)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morality_Police posted:

unarmed is fun, but you have limited weapon options. Get the legendary perk that gives VATS melee attacks a chance to explode for AOE damage, and become One Punch Man as you drive a powerfist through Scorched so hard they detonate.

Good to know. I don't mind low variety but I'll have to wait until 75 for that perk. I'm not giving up infiltrator after 50 levels of never taking a lock picking or hacking card.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Morality_Police posted:

the improved power attack damage legendary mod is really good with melee/unarmed big-hit weapons, aim for the face for 2x damage.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

explosivo posted:

Pistols are the least supported ranged weapon type

It basically goes:

Commando
Heavy Guns
Rifleman
Shotgun

a huge gap

Gunslinger

Even Shotgun is pretty much held up entirely by the Cold Shoulder being amazing and the Gauss Shotgun being okay because every other weapon in that class is rear end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ran into a couple raiders who had power armor. I blew them up with a couple mines and grenades, but when I searched them they had incomplete armor. Are they incomplete to begin with or did I destroy parts of their armor?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Steve Yun posted:

Ran into a couple raiders who had power armor. I blew them up with a couple mines and grenades, but when I searched them they had incomplete armor. Are they incomplete to begin with or did I destroy parts of their armor?

They're incomplete in 4. I am still without a left arm on my suit because I think I sold it at the start of the game and only later did I go back and pick up the base suit. Nobody in armour that I've killed has been wearing an arm and I found a suit elsewhere but it was also armless.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How does one pick up the underlying suit from a raider?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

How does one pick up the underlying suit from a raider?

Like the frame? You need to find those in the world.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Power_armor_locations_(Fallout_76)

Edit: Oh, you're playing F4.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_4_power_armor_locations

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 30, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In fallout 4, it's not worth trying to get their power armor frames. You either need to sneak up on them and pickpocket the fusion core, or you need to shoot the fusion core and hope they either hop out, or don't die when it explodes and then hop out. Then once you gain access to the suit, it counts as stolen, and your companions will get upset when you use it. If someone dies in power armor, it is lost.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Never leave your power armor parked in your settlement with a fusion core in it, I had a settler that was secretly a synth steal my parked power armor during a settlement attack (by synths) and then he died in it destroying the frame.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blockhouse posted:

Pistols are the least supported ranged weapon type

It basically goes:

Commando
Heavy Guns
Rifleman
Shotgun

a huge gap

Gunslinger

Even Shotgun is pretty much held up entirely by the Cold Shoulder being amazing and the Gauss Shotgun being okay because every other weapon in that class is rear end

I really need to get around to making a commando build.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pistols are usually pretty good for VATS/Crit builds since they don't cost a lot of AP to fire, so you can use them to build up a crit and then switch to another gun to fire it

Couple it with Concentrated Fire and you can rack up some pretty hefty damage out of an otherwise dismissible weapon class

Plus, ammo for them is pretty common

you can also convert some laser/plasma weapons to a pistol with the right grip and get all the benefits that come with it

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I got through 25-50 on easy mode just by running Gunslinger VATS with a Plasma Pistol that I rolled +Armor Penetration and +VATS accuracy on, but yeah, I had to move away from that. I'm currently running Cold Shoulder while trying to build up the stuff I need to run a HW build.

Still waffling a bit on what Heavy Weapon to actually build around. Currently I'll probably try a Flamer and a Gatling Gun.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

In FO76 if you swap between camps does everything stay placed in them, and at the same location? If you activate the other one, the existing one respawns, but if you re-activate it will be there without having to re-place everything?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

In FO76 if you swap between camps does everything stay placed in them, and at the same location? If you activate the other one, the existing one respawns, but if you re-activate it will be there without having to re-place everything?

Yes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The only thing that will alter the objects in your camp is moving that camp, and in that case, your building will be stored as a blueprint you can place down in a new location, unless you've done something that makes it impossible to place down in a new location, which you probably have if you've spent some time on your camp.

Display items (magazines, funkopops etc.) and special storage items (recharging fusion cores etc.) are bound to a specific camp, but if you build a display in your other camp you can choose to move items that fit in that specific furniture to your inventory and the new furniture.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

The only thing that will alter the objects in your camp is moving that camp, and in that case, your building will be stored as a blueprint you can place down in a new location, unless you've done something that makes it impossible to place down in a new location, which you probably have if you've spent some time on your camp.

Display items (magazines, funkopops etc.) and special storage items (recharging fusion cores etc.) are bound to a specific camp, but if you build a display in your other camp you can choose to move items that fit in that specific furniture to your inventory and the new furniture.

Yeah, I realized that there was more than one camp reading this thread, but there is no way I would be able to put my base back down if swapping camps stored everything and had to be re-placed.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

The Slack Lagoon posted:

there is no way I would be able to put my base back down if swapping camps stored everything and had to be re-placed.

Don't worry, since this is a Bethesda game, it may just save you the trouble by not storing any of your buildings in storage or blueprints when you move it, like what happened to me today. Now I don't have to rebuild anything cause it's all gone!

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Wow 76 is real awkward to get back into after a 1-year hiatus. I think I accidentally scrapped some perfectly fine mats in my stash and it took a couple of minutes to remember that triangle is jump.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, I switched jump to L1 and put VATS on triangle since I rarely use it. Bumper Jumper 4 Lyfe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone give me a Powerfist plan why the gently caress is it so expensive I'm so poor plz halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the tips re: semi auto pistols in 76. I'm still not even level 20 yet so for now I might stick with the pistol perks since one body shot from my 44 is taking down most basic enemies but will probably pivot to commando/rifleman sooner or later.

Edit: Actually if Rifleman remains decent later on that might be what I go with.