Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008

Sindai posted:

I really wish the bullet dog's backpack icon showed total ammo left instead of the current mag.

I know you can supposedly tell by looking at the backpack itself but I can't figure out how.

What do you mean by you "can't figure out how"? The magazines are visible on the backpack itself, they are the 6 straight waffle sticks that are flat against the back when the gun dog is deployed and vertical when its docked. When reloading they get shoved into the gun dog itself.

Also I thought the backpack icon does show the total reserve? Maybe I just never noticed and assumed otherwise, I don't use the gun dog much, like everyone else. Edit > looking at a recent youtube video I guess it does, huh.

Gabrielite fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LazyMaybe posted:

Only just learned that when looking at equipment you can view stats under "career". Relevant because I saw someone who had over 600 melee kills while I have less than 30 lol

Man, I need to learn how to be more effective with grenades. You've got just about equal grenade kills as Eagle kills.

Edit: also holy moly your career accuracy is crazy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The trick is to just never use Eagles :colbert:

My Eagles are all 500kgs I've barely ever touched the other Eagles. I do all my killing with my guns :clint:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 30, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Waiting on extract with the destroyer already out of orbit. Boom, meteor. Team wipe. :allears:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The airburst rocket is astoundingly awful. What an insane delta between expected fun and actual terrible-ness.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Scoss posted:

The airburst rocket is astoundingly awful. What an insane delta between expected fun and actual terrible-ness.

Yeah but now you can fire two or three rockets in a row before one kills you when it immediately detonates for no reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol that everyone salutes when they're readied up now. That's a cute touch.

The new speedloader on the revolver is fantastic. It's a seriously effective secondary now instead of just a stylish one. (I ran it before this change :lofty:)

3 magazines on the sickle seems about right. I was already tending to ignore the overheating mechanism because I'd never run out before I found another ammo pickup. This makes it a little more thoughtful without ruining the gun.

The infinite grenade glitch still works. They did change something, because now when you perform the move it says you have 232 grenades instead of -1. But it still works the same way.

I'm glad to see the termicide towers coming back in corrupted form, but those missions do seem awfully quick and easy. (famous last words)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 30, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eruptor still kills holes and one-shots spewers so it's all good

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i did real well in a run with the airburst actually, but it was on the wide open ice planet. sniped multiple fabs, annihilated patrols, etc.

i think it is very biome dependent whether its good or not. you need long sightlines

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Potato Salad posted:

Man, I need to learn how to be more effective with grenades. You've got just about equal grenade kills as Eagle kills.

Edit: also holy moly your career accuracy is crazy.
Honestly, I feel like it might be underreporting my eagle kills. Not uncommon to get at least 5 kills with airstrikes(and sometimes way more than that), getting less than 2 kills per eagle callin doesn't seem right.
I will smugly proclaim the accuracy stat seems right though, I'd expect to be hitting >60%.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oooh they changed the spore spewers to take like 8 autocannon shots instead of 2. Fair enough I guess. Those were totally meaningless objectives if you could spot them from a distance. (Still meaningless, but at least you have to stop for a few seconds now).

Also I can't wait for them to fix the fire damage bug because I assume that's why the thermite grenades suck total rear end. I should not be able to stick all four of them on a single charger and have the loving thing keep on running even after all four have burnt out and exploded.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 30, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Thermite grenades still loving suck playing solo, I don't think DoT bug is holding them back. They're just rear end.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah but now you can fire two or three rockets in a row before one kills you when it immediately detonates for no reason.

From a video I saw, ANY sort of item (ammo box, sample, etc) will set off the proximity fuze on the airburst rocket.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i did real well in a run with the airburst actually, but it was on the wide open ice planet. sniped multiple fabs, annihilated patrols, etc.

i think it is very biome dependent whether its good or not. you need long sightlines

isn't it also the patched version and not the broken older one?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Sagebrush posted:

Oooh they changed the spore spewers to take like 8 autocannon shots instead of 2. Fair enough I guess. Those were totally meaningless objectives if you could spot them from a distance. (Still meaningless, but at least you have to stop for a few seconds now).

I'd been waiting for them to do this and I'm glad, because as satisfying as it is to just snipe em from a mile away, it's atmospheric af to have to actually go into the fog to blow em up

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I took the quasar, and it took two or three shots to down the spore spewer giant mushroom. Each of the shrieker mushrooms took 2-3 shots each as well (which is normal).

Looks like they just upped the life/armor of it to the shrieker mushroom standards?

It wasn't too bad on the moon-like planet, since it's so flat I could see it from a mile away and just took shots at it as the quasar recharged.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Adjudicator still feels like it doesn't have enough ammo in the mag. It's useable but even with the extra couple of mags I'm skating up against not having any primary ammo all the time when fighting against bugs. Which is a little bit of a shame, but might be balanced exactly where they want it, because otherwise it performs fantastically against all bugs that aren't chargers or bile titans.

Eruptor basically feels unchanged.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

eruptor low key felt better because the implosion bug no longer exists so you dont get sucked into bad situations danger close

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It'd be nice to have those anti tank mines. If they want more loadout variety, especially against bugs, more anti heavy armor options is what is needed. I'm guessing it won't damage bile titans and teamkill everyone in a huge radius with how garbage the airburst launcher is though.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Did they fix Stalker invisibility or maybe just on the fire planet? Also - did they fix pinging the map to find the stalker lair?

A bunch of stalkers I couldn’t see hounded my team for ten minutes and I pinged half the map before finically stumbling into their lair. It was nuts. When they went invis I could barely see them. Difficulty went up about double because of it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It'd be nice to have those anti tank mines. If they want more loadout variety, especially against bugs, more anti heavy armor options is what is needed. I'm guessing it won't damage bile titans and teamkill everyone in a huge radius with how garbage the airburst launcher is though.
With how locational damage works in this game, I have to assume mines blowing up on titan legs will be thoroughly useless regardless of how much armor pen they have.

Tom Tucker posted:

Also - did they fix pinging the map to find the stalker lair?
Yes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Crossbow is good against bots. Much easier to land direct shots and it does stunlock devastators.

Railgun is also good against bots again. Unsafe mode oneshots devastators on their body, and it can damage turrets without hitting their vents, which is nice to finish one off if a teammate didn't manage to get the kill before it turned. Didn't get a chance to test it against gunships though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 30, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tom Tucker posted:

Did they fix Stalker invisibility or maybe just on the fire planet? Also - did they fix pinging the map to find the stalker lair?

A bunch of stalkers I couldn’t see hounded my team for ten minutes and I pinged half the map before finically stumbling into their lair. It was nuts. When they went invis I could barely see them. Difficulty went up about double because of it.

Yes they specifically mentioned stalkers had their invisibility thing fixed so they not longer look incredibly obvious when cloaked. They are actually way more loving frightening now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Jerkface posted:

I dont know if its existed in prior patches but since the patch before this I've also found super samples at a new location that has enemies on bug maps. Its one of the overgrown super sample rocks that has a square depression infront of it with some ammo and the samples

IDK if it is just me, but I cannot for the life of me find the SS on the new bug planets. Even with this suggestion, I just cannot find them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
One thing the blitzer is really good at now is blasting hunters and pouncers out of the air. Very satisfying to fry two at once.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

quote:

"Playing Rock, Paper, Scissors in front of the ship no longer causes player to fall out into space."

:nallears: well what's the loving point then??

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I only played a few missions tonight but so far I think all of the changes were great. The stuff that trivialized the game like fire damage or quasar spam is nerfed just enough to not make them all-purposes solutions and the other stuff is buffed enough to the point where everything feels fairly competitive with valid reasons to bring or not bring everything. It doesn't feel as easy at high difficulties anymore but it doesn't feel unbeatable, feels just about right.

Changes to the fire DoT damage seem to have affected Incendiary Breaker initial damage in some way, it no longer instakills Hunters with a single point blank shot. The fire DoT will still finish them off but it no longer feels like an insane damage hose that mulches every small/medium bug effortlessly. It feels just about right to be fun and strong without just making the game easy :hellyeah:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I saw stalkers, warned the team and discovered the nest, but as they hadn't seen the stalkers yet they didn't see any urgency or simply didn't realise. Things went badly after that and two people quit

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

if you just spam click when your character is coming up the elevator after a mission you can move during that screen and just slide around while squatting

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I've realized I don't just dislike fighting bugs, I actually kind of hate fighting bugs.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Just wrapped up an evening session and I love this patch. I haven't seen anyone post this, but in my experience tonight they stealth patched the spear.
I had zero lock on issues in a couple of hours of playing with it; only against the bugs though, it could probably still struggle with the bot turret towers.
Worked just fine on Chargers and Bile Titans every time!

Honestly, the Quasar needed the extended cooldown time; I think it was too easy to shoot down multiple dropships and probably wasn't the intended purpose.
Other than that, it does its job just as well as a single use rocket, then switch to your primary and have fun. It'll be back in 13 seconds.

Senator getting the speed loader is incredible.

The arc blitzer seems REALLY good now. I feel like it's almost just as easy to clear bug breaches as an arc thrower, given there are no heavies.
Speaking of which, the arc thrower can still stun lock hulks which I worried about when I read their stagger resistance buff.

Crossbow and Eruptor still feel powerful and fun to use!
While I miss the bonkers splash on the crossbow, it's still effective at clearing enemies all bunched together with its fire rate.

Laser dog is fine; the fact that I don't die instantly when it lasers my face is actually a good thing.
All I need it to do is clear the little guys that get too close while I focus on the bigger targets. Which it still does a good job at.
Literally just last night I kited a pack of 8+ hunters rushing a hard drive to the objective. The laser dog killed them all in about 12 seconds with me just running away.

I guess I was using the sickle the intended way, because I almost never let it overheat. When I get close to overheating, just switch to a senator/support weapon and bust heads for like 4 seconds, and by then it's cooled down.

All in all, fantastic improvement to the game!

However, my number #1 favorite feature of all are the delicious tears from people who think they know better than the designers that made this fun as poo poo game. I don't think it was an accident. They probably know what they're doing.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 30, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
lmao the fact that you can kill yourself with your own projectiles means people are killing themselves with eruptor shrapnel (instead of just their teammates as has been happening since it was introduced), misattributing it to ricochets, and posting very angrily on reddit about it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuX79Ud8zI
Glad there's options for sidearms other than the Redeemer (and the grenade pistol) now. Makes me wonder if the default pistol is worth using now

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

LazyMaybe posted:

Honestly, I feel like it might be underreporting my eagle kills. Not uncommon to get at least 5 kills with airstrikes(and sometimes way more than that), getting less than 2 kills per eagle callin doesn't seem right.
I will smugly proclaim the accuracy stat seems right though, I'd expect to be hitting >60%.

Several patches back they zeroed out historical Eagle kills. I probably lost 10k Eagle kills from my career stats. :negative:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shooting a group of 3 Hulks in their stupid eyes and making em explode back to back with the Autocannon

Also protip, remember to deal with a Factory Striders cannons before trying the same trick on them :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Colorspray posted:

The arc blitzer seems REALLY good now. I feel like it's almost just as easy to clear bug breaches as an arc thrower, given there are no heavies.

Tonight was my first time using it ever and it was pretty awesome. Like suspiciously good. Good enough to renege on the buff and give it a nerf.

Not perfect, obviously. It's good for getting up in bugs' business and that's pretty much where you have to be if teammates are around so you're at risk of whatever they're firing past you or if the gun's stagger doesn't catch everything headed towards you.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I saw solo player games today where they had constant fighting with very few breaks. They attributed it to the patrol spawn changes. But I played fours and had the same experience. High density of enemies all throughout the game. I chucked an eagle airburst for the daily, got 37 kills, and there were still 20+ bugs to kill. Just crazy amounts of bugs showing up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i got a 52 term kill airburst orbital and i don't know if it was legit or a... bug

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

i got a 52 term kill airburst orbital and i don't know if it was legit or a... bug

TCS towers are supposedly increasing spawn/reproduction rates for the terms so it may, in fact, be affecting spawn rates. My Haz 9's have been slightly more 'gaggling headless goose'-like than usual, but some of the people on my team were like level 20/30 so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The diligence counter sniper is now pretty great. It's not S tier but they definitely improved the weapon enough that it will go in my rotation.