Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

zone posted:

You're going to wait for a long time. They had something around 3,000-3,500 launchers of varying types on paper before the war started.

Wouldn't they run out of radars before they run out of launchers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Khanstant posted:

i just dont how we can be in a war against russia for so long and republicans just don't care don't even try to pretend we can win our wars or act like we even want to

Putin is immeasurably bitter over what happened with the collapse of the Soviet Union to this day and he wants to destroy the United States by any means. Anyone who doesnt see this is a fool or useful idiot.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

poor waif posted:

Wouldn't they run out of radars before they run out of launchers?

This is true, yes. They can still produce them in very small quantities each year though, but certainly not enough to maintain stocks or coverage anywhere.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

tiaz posted:

Why is that not an exchange Ukraine can win? They weathered it (relatively) fine the first year when Russia made it a major part of their strategy to try to freeze out Ukrainians over the winter by blowing up energy infrastructure.

Wrt "a war of attrition favors Whoever" (not explicitly aimed at you TC), I don't think it's possible to say with as little information we have with non-secret sources. Yeah Ukraine has a smaller conscript pool to draw from, but Russia is losing them way faster and force generation isn't just a matter of "how many dudes are there". Ukraine doesn't have tons of Western armor (or in general), but Russia is spaffing theirs up the wall losing tens per day. I have no idea how much spare capacity lies behind any of the factors that are keeping either side in the fight, so ... as long as Ukraine is willing to fight keep sending them what they need.

(also, naively, 5:1 is enough to win: Ukraine has >20% of Russia's population.)

Couple reasons, imo, Ukraine is a smaller country and has less "spares" to go around, power infrastructure (outside of lines) is notoriously difficult to replace and hilariously easy to damage enough that you do need to replace it. Oil infrastructure damage is going to effect the economic prospects of Russia, but Russia taking out powerstations as a response is going to have a more immediate impact on the Ukrainian civilian and military (not to mention that people keep loving skirting sanctions) compared to the relatively slow burn that damage to oil infrastructure is going to cause. Both impact the civilian/military portions of the respective country but not having power now is a different then maybe not having gas/money 3 months from now.

It's not really a question of "how many people can they throw at it" its a question of how fast the damage piles up and how fast they can mitigate said damage. If Ukraine loses powerstations and has to import/build equipment and set up new ones while people are freezing/don't have water thats an entirely different ballgame then if Russia has to figure out the oil situation.

That all being said, you are totally correct and I/none of us have insider knowledge. It's still a developing situation. I just dont think it favors Ukraine if Russia makes it clear that further oil refinery attacks = energy infrastructure attacks on Ukraine.

Personally, i think everything really hinges on if the projection that Russia runs out of vehicles by late 2024/ early 2025 is true because that's just a very big pile of complications that I don't think they could navigate.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 29, 2024

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Even then, Russia was always going to attack Ukraine's energy infrastructure at scale, so Ukraine's damned if they do or don't. Might as well make Russia hurt for what they're doing as well. At least, for this year, some Baltic and European countries have said they can donate spares from closed TPPs and so on, so there's still a possibility to repair and restore at least some of the damage immediately. Next year might be much dicier though, albeit I hope not.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

That all being said, you are totally correct and I/none of us have insider knowledge. It's still a developing situation. I just dont think it favors Ukraine if Russia makes it clear that further oil refinery attacks = energy infrastructure attacks on Ukraine.

No further oil refinery attacks = energy infrastructure attacks on Ukraine.

It makes no difference. Russia has been attacking Ukraine's energy infrastructure before Ukraine attacked Russia's oil refineries and it will continue to do so regardless.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

spankmeister posted:

No further oil refinery attacks = energy infrastructure attacks on Ukraine.

It makes no difference. Russia has been attacking Ukraine's energy infrastructure before Ukraine attacked Russia's oil refineries and it will continue to do so regardless.

They appear to be doing it more frequently as a response to the oil strikes and that increase in frequency and intensity may be to much for Ukraine to easily mitigate in comparison. Sure, Ukraine could space poo poo out so they do have the time/resources to mitigate but that also gives Russia more time to deal with poo poo as well.

So yes, it does make a difference.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

This is a pro-click. It could be from any war. A soldier who enlisted telling everyone not to make the mistake he made.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

They appear to be doing it more frequently as a response to the oil strikes and that increase in frequency and intensity may be to much for Ukraine to easily mitigate in comparison. Sure, Ukraine could space poo poo out so they do have the time/resources to mitigate but that also gives Russia more time to deal with poo poo as well.

So yes, it does make a difference.

They appear to do it more frequently, because Ukraine is low on air defense. Your conclusion is based on conjecture.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

spankmeister posted:

They appear to do it more frequently, because Ukraine is low on air defense. Your conclusion is based on conjecture.

Lol you are literally in the exact same boat with that claim unless you have access to information covering the distribution of Ukrainian air defense units, their stockpile of ammunition, and details on their intercept rates/failures.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 29, 2024

Burns
May 10, 2008

Air defence is great and all but some air offence would be better.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

Lol you are literally in the exact same boat with that claim unless you have access to information covering the distribution of Ukrainian air defense units, their stockpile of ammunition, and details on their intercept rates/failures.

I have all that information.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/GAMZIRI24/status/1784668914699338032

CIA are at it again. They paid off tens of thousands of people to go out and march.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

You don't need all that info to know the side that's being attacked and has had weapons assist held back for most of a year have fewer defenses for targets that evidently could not be defended.

But even before that, what you're suggesting is that Russia will play nice if the people they have been trying to genocide since 1923 would just stop resisting, which is horrifyingly stupid for reasons you shouldn't have to have explained to you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

So stop talking out of your rear end then.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Telsa Cola posted:

They appear to be doing it more frequently as a response to the oil strikes

You seem really bent on this "as a response" narrative, when overall it has been clear that 1) they want to turn Ukraine into a failed state which includes crippling energy infrastructure, and 2) we all know Russia is preparing for a Summer offensive, as their last window of opportunity before Ukraine defences get replenished with the money.

i.e. these actions are inherent Russian strategy nearly regardless of Ukraine's actions. "As a response" sounds like situationally opportunistic propaganda for the Russians, and this take is really weak, hth.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Framing Russian attacks on energy infrastructure as a response instead of something that Russia has been doing since the early days of the war is yet another way to victim blame Ukraine for the crimes being committed against it by Russia.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Russia has been attacking Ukrainian power infrastructure since they started doing missile attacks in 2022.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Aieeeeeee monke man save us from the crests and their evil western missiles :qq:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
lmao at the person telling the other to stop swearing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, less swearing, friend.

I’ll show you some swearing.

Kurwa Mac Ya Pierdole Vladimir Vladimirich.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 30, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

god please help me posted:

lmao at the person telling the other to stop swearing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ukraine War: less swearing, friend!

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Beffer posted:

This is a pro-click. It could be from any war. A soldier who enlisted telling everyone not to make the mistake he made.

"War is not fear. War is terror"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

spankmeister posted:

Framing Russian attacks on energy infrastructure as a response instead of something that Russia has been doing since the early days of the war is yet another way to victim blame Ukraine for the crimes being committed against it by Russia.

100% agree with the quoted above.

Ukraine attacks on Russian infra is the reaction to what Russia has been doing and it's pretty off to be trying to frame what Russia is doing as their reaction. Bullshit, Russia attackign civilian infra has been their mode of operation from day one, if Ukraine never hit any refineries or Kerch Bridge, Russia would still be lobbing rockets at Ukrainine's power

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Russia's got a real easy way to not get attacked any more, they could just give up and go home.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I sincerely hope the US is "WE CANT SUPPORT YOUR ATTACKS INSIDE RUSSIA"

While also "Here's the power and electrical infrastructure of the greater Moscow region" don't tell them I told ya.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Khanstant posted:

You don't need all that info to know the side that's being attacked and has had weapons assist held back for most of a year have fewer defenses for targets that evidently could not be defended.

But even before that, what you're suggesting is that Russia will play nice if the people they have been trying to genocide since 1923 would just stop resisting, which is horrifyingly stupid for reasons you shouldn't have to have explained to you.

Your still making an assumption/conjecture on that, and the recent pattern of the strikes don't actually fit that narrative. Russian strikes this year post all the oil refinery strikes have been larger and more coordinated than earlier in war. Either of those could explain an increase in hits.

Do you think its a coincidence that about a week after Ukraine hit like a half dozen energy targets in Russia, Russia launched one of the largest to date strikes? You can take it for what its worth but they literally also said thats what the strike was about.

Nope, I did not make that claim. My claim was "Russia is going to hit Ukrainian energy infrastructure as a response to Ukrainian oil industry attacks, and that might be an exchange that does not work well for Ukraine."

spankmeister posted:

So stop talking out of your rear end then.

I have more evidence and support for my claim then you do, given that my claim is currently whats being reported by various news agencies, so uh, maybe you should take your own advice.

AnacondaHL posted:

You seem really bent on this "as a response" narrative, when overall it has been clear that 1) they want to turn Ukraine into a failed state which includes crippling energy infrastructure, and 2) we all know Russia is preparing for a Summer offensive, as their last window of opportunity before Ukraine defences get replenished with the money.

i.e. these actions are inherent Russian strategy nearly regardless of Ukraine's actions. "As a response" sounds like situationally opportunistic propaganda for the Russians, and this take is really weak, hth.

Russia has multiple target priorties, energy infrastructure being one of them. Russia has consistently shown that it will and does fire upon energy infrastructure. I don't think any of the above is controversial or up for debate.

Russia, like anyone, has limited resources. It cannot continuously use said resources to target energy infrastructure because utimately, those resources may be better used elsewhere/some other time.

When Ukraine hits energy infrastructure, Russia is "encouraged" to respond in kind because if they don't they look weak. So they make further strikes that target energy infrastructure. This is, by definition, a retaliatory strike. Ukrainian attacks on Russia's oil infrastructure are also retaliatory strikes.

These responses lead to an increase in tempo/frequency of strikes against Ukrainian energy infrastructure. If Ukraine first had to weather strikes once a week/month/whatever and they now they have to deal with it twice as much then thats twice as much replacement parts, labor, etc they have to deal with to keep the lights on and I'm not sure if they actually come out better in that exchange given the supply issues that they have.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 30, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

Aieeeeeee monke man save us from the crests and their evil western missiles :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEUB29yU-pA

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

These responses lead to an increase in tempo/frequency of strikes against Ukrainian energy infrastructure. If Ukraine first had to weather strikes once a week/month/whatever and they now they have to deal with it twice as much then thats twice as much replacement parts, labor, etc they have to deal with to keep the lights on and I'm not sure if they actually come out better in that exchange given the supply issues that they have.

Well, for what it's worth, there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

Also, this topic showing up in the American news cycle isn't particularly informative as I would suspect the USA has their own economic motives to deincentivise strikes on Russian energy infrastructure.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

:goonsay:

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Framing the Russian attacks on electrical infrastructure as a "response" is a weird hill to die on given that they started a year before the action they are retaliating against started, but you do you.

Given that it is a major aspect of Russia's strategy, it is understandable that they have invested heavily in bomber drone production and the more frequent attacks are the direct result of that investment. We can see the same investment being made in recon etc drones used on the front line where they are fielded in significantly higher numbers than last year.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Skanky Burns posted:

Framing the Russian attacks on electrical infrastructure as a "response" is a weird hill to die on given that they started a year before the action they are retaliating against started, but you do you.

Given that it is a major aspect of Russia's strategy, it is understandable that they have invested heavily in bomber drone production and the more frequent attacks are the direct result of that investment. We can see the same investment being made in recon etc drones used on the front line where they are fielded in significantly higher numbers than last year.

Never said the Russian strikes started as a response to the Ukrainian ones my friend.

And sure, thats possible, but its also possible that my claims are possible.

Runa posted:

Well, for what it's worth, there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

Also, this topic showing up in the American news cycle isn't particularly informative as I would suspect the USA has their own economic motives to deincentivise strikes on Russian energy infrastructure.

Oh agreed.

Eh im not sure I agree with that but whatever.

This, this I have no rebuttal for. I am defeated.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 30, 2024

Zeromus
Dec 11, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

Your still making an assumption/conjecture on that, and the recent pattern of the strikes don't actually fit that narrative. Russian strikes this year post all the oil refinery strikes have been larger and more coordinated than earlier in war. Either of those could explain an increase in hits.

Do you think its a coincidence that about a week after Ukraine hit like a half dozen energy targets in Russia, Russia launched one of the largest to date strikes? You can take it for what its worth but they literally also said thats what the strike was about.

Nope, I did not make that claim. My claim was "Russia is going to hit Ukrainian energy infrastructure as a response to Ukrainian oil industry attacks, and that might be an exchange that does not work well for Ukraine."

I have more evidence and support for my claim then you do, given that my claim is currently whats being reported by various news agencies, so uh, maybe you should take your own advice.

Russia has multiple target priorties, energy infrastructure being one of them. Russia has consistently shown that it will and does fire upon energy infrastructure. I don't think any of the above is controversial or up for debate.

Russia, like anyone, has limited resources. It cannot continuously use said resources to target energy infrastructure because utimately, those resources may be better used elsewhere/some other time.

When Ukraine hits energy infrastructure, Russia is "encouraged" to respond in kind because if they don't they look weak. So they make further strikes that target energy infrastructure. This is, by definition, a retaliatory strike. Ukrainian attacks on Russia's oil infrastructure are also retaliatory strikes.

And what was the retaliatory reason Russia attacked: Apartment buildings, Malls, Hospitals, etc. with missiles? I'm guessing Ukraine was asking for that too? In fact, a majority of their attacks have been on civilians and civilian infrastructure.

so please gently caress off.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Zeromus posted:

And what was the retaliatory reason Russia attacked: Apartment buildings, Malls, Hospitals, etc. with missiles? I'm guessing Ukraine was asking for that too? In fact, a majority of their attacks have been on civilians, so gently caress off.

Nope that was war crimes and they shouldn't have done that, either.

I'm good, thanks though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 30, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/GAMZIRI24/status/1784668914699338032

CIA are at it again. They paid off tens of thousands of people to go out and march.

do you think the bill is good or bad? it seems normal to me and the main objection seems to be it might stigmatize NGOs that have to disclose their sources of funding. this is a normal type of law also found in advanced locations like the EU.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 30, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Actually it is self evident that Ukrainian targets that have been destroyed were not adequately defended. You can tell because they were destroyed, instead of not destroyed.

Stopped reading after you were going off of reasons Russia gave for their actions as of it were something you should ever consider taking at face value and it was clear you weren't making a joke, like you really typed it out because it's part of your argument of why Ukraine should not attack the people actively trying to genocide them, which is another set of stupid loving horseshit you shouldn't type.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
It's that poet we sent, he's back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Actually it is self evident that Ukrainian targets that have been destroyed were not adequately defended. You can tell because they were destroyed, instead of not destroyed.

Stopped reading after you were going off of reasons Russia gave for their actions as of it were something you should ever consider taking at face value and it was clear you weren't making a joke, like you really typed it out because it's part of your argument of why Ukraine should not attack the people actively trying to genocide them, which is another set of stupid loving horseshit you shouldn't type.

...what? That's not really how things work in the real world. You could have the best missile defense emplaced in the world and poo poo would still slip through because that's just kinda the reality of things. Particularly when your enemy really wants it gone.

Nah I didn't say that. What I said is that avenue of attack might not be beneficial for Ukraine in the long run because I don't think they come out better in the exchange.

Vv Nah

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Telsa Cola posted:

...what? That's not really how things work in the real world. You could have the best missile defense emplaced in the world and poo poo would still slip through because that's just kinda the reality of things. Particularly when your enemy really wants it gone.

Nah I didn't say that. What I said is that avenue of attack might not be beneficial for Ukraine in the long run because I don't think they come out better in the exchange.

That’s not how Eastern Europeans think at all, kurwa. Your should shut the gently caress up now.

Slava Ukraini