Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As always, everything about Luann makes 100% more sense if you just assume everyone is a middleschooler instead of a college student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Haraiso Days

quote:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I always get a chuckle at Uchida constantly mentioning her deadlines and how she can't make them due to medical issues but still needing to do them anyway.

Truly, some things are universal.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm sure he's got a great many qualities she admires, but from here WAR Mom's boyfriend is almost as useless as that CPA

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Based off of stuff that was said about some of her other works, I had just assumed that it's not the same boyfriend, but she has a certain type so they all look the same.

Porque no los dos :v:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Aces High posted:

Based off of stuff that was said about some of her other works, I had just assumed that it's not the same boyfriend, but she has a certain type so they all look the same.

Yeah, it's not at all clear whether or not this is the same actual person that she's been with since the beginning of the comic - one could probably figure it out by cross-referencing her Wikipedia page with publication dates and so on, but I think part of the... texture? of the comic is she has a sort of iconic "boyfriend" who is generally portrayed as a sort of a "present lump," who she may or may not be legally married to at any given point in the comic, and may or may not be the same person as in previous comics, and the specifics are just not something she's interested in telling stories about.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 30, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Aces High posted:

IIRC there's an essay in the first volume that states that, although WARboyfriend isn't the biological father of WARbaby, he stays with her and eventually they get married? So I think it's the same guy, and TBF, he seems like a decent partner and father when it's not emergency time.

EDIT: beaten and contradicted. Thanks for the clarification, GE!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/3-5/52, as Election Day arrives.

Yeah, that one hasn't aged well, Walt. Even in 1952, you had Richard Nixon as Ike's VP.

Casey Stengel was a legendary manager of the New York Yankees.

The man who gave his birthday away was Robert Louis Stevenson (and not, again, Adlai Stevenson); here's an 1891 article reproducing the very serious legal document he wrote (including a provision that if the birthday was misused, it would revert to the President of the United States).

Anyway, are you looking for new hair ideas?

Archie 4/10-12/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/28-30/77

Bus Terminal '78 is a play on Airport '77, no doubt.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 30, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (May 8-10, 2006)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Quote is not edit.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 30, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (July 13-15, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revised (July 14, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (October 2-4, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Mechanized Warfare (March 13, 1915)

The Adventures of Marmaduke, continuing our visit to the awkward side of history. (February 27-28, 1940 (no strip for the 26th))

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 30, 2024

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
So that's two Marmaduke comics I don't like. Bring back Lefty!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The_Other posted:

So about John Allison's Conan the Barbarian story I was posting...

:(

While this is a major disappointment, I might be able to continue posting the comic. As one of Allison's Patreons, I received the full part 2 of this comic as a pdf download, thus I could conceivably post the remaining pages using that as a source. Still I am a little conflicted if I should do so, partly because that might get Allison into further legal hot water but mainly because the pdf was behind the Patreon paywall and I feel I would be taking money from Allison as opposed to just posting the pages when he released them to the general public. Furthermore even if I posted the remainder of part 2 it would still leave the story unfinished as it looks like we will never see part 3. I'll have to think if I want to do that and would welcome some feedback from the thread.

Still a week behind but I'd just like to say I'm a little shocked that Allison was able to write a Batman story and an X-men story with no copyright holders noticing or caring and yet Conan the Barbarian fanfiction of all things was somehow him going too far.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pancho Jueves posted:

Is this the adventures of Young Dethany (from Fastrack Elementary)?
That would be so much... less bad than what it actually is.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Some Guy TT posted:

Still a week behind but I'd just like to say I'm a little shocked that Allison was able to write a Batman story and an X-men story with no copyright holders noticing or caring and yet Conan the Barbarian fanfiction of all things was somehow him going too far.

I guessing there were a couple of reasons that Allison was able to get away with the Batman and X-men comics but not the Conan one (and I would also note that Allison took down the Batman comic a while ago, and the X-men comic the same time he took down Conan);

First, those first two comics were only 20-something pages each, while the Conan story was shaping up to be three times that length. By the time the copyright holders noticed Allison had probably finished posting the comics.

Second, Disney and Time Warner are both much bigger companies that CPI, so they were probably more likely to look the other way for a time, either because they felt it might be seen as bad publicity to hound Allison or (more likely IMO) it just wasn't worth the legal hassle. Either way they could afford to do so.

Third, I'm guessing someone from Marvel and/or DC did contact Allison, but were probably more gentle about the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had contacted Allison saying "hey, nice comics, but we really need you to take them down after while) or something to that effect.

Just my own thoughts on the matter.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think the largest factor is that yes, batman/x-men are held by much larger companies who probably regularly tolerate fanworks because comics as an industry has a long history of fan-artists becoming in-house artists as their career progresses, whereas conan is explicitly held by a company whose entire business is rent-seeking on works trading on the conan copyright with a history of using the incredibly busted length of united states copyright to legally threaten people in countries where the copyright has long since expired.

a john allison batman or x-men comic doesn't compete with batman or x-men in the marketplace of batman/x-men comics, but a john allison conan comic directly competes with conan holdings llc in the marketplace of you can't use conan without paying me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Now taking bets: Which beloved childhood pet did they just dig up?

Blind Alley

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They're gonna end up chasing away their unicorn of an assistant manager.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Well now you're just being mean.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I was raised Eastern Orthodox, where communion was done with an actual chunk of bread, so it occurs to me that I have no idea what a Catholic communion wafer actually is. Is it just a little tiny crispy bread? I've seen pictures of them but I never questioned what they tasted like.

(I also remember my mum joking that the communion wine was really good, could she do a second communion?)

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

They taste like cardboard and disappointment.

I keep meaning to start my own version of Catholicism where instead of the wafer it's a little sugar cookie

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
At the methodist church I attended as a little kid there was like, big soft flaky bread and grape juice. A+

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My dad used to bake the communion bread for our church. It was bland and unleavened. Sometimes if he made too much we'd put grated parmesan and italian seasoning on it and eat it as a snack.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Your guess is as good as mine.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Episcopalian here, yeah, it's a little circle of what I guess is bread about the size of a coin. Tastes like nothing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

You'd never think you could find a point on a graph where the axes 'ritualistic cannibal orgy' and 'boring' would meet, and yet, and yet...

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 28, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 30, 1962)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

coronatae posted:

They taste like cardboard and disappointment.

I keep meaning to start my own version of Catholicism where instead of the wafer it's a little sugar cookie

I remember actually liking these carboard things. I think fake flowers and such that used to be on cakes was made from the same stuff and I always wanted to eat it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

I was raised Eastern Orthodox, where communion was done with an actual chunk of bread, so it occurs to me that I have no idea what a Catholic communion wafer actually is. Is it just a little tiny crispy bread? I've seen pictures of them but I never questioned what they tasted like.

(I also remember my mum joking that the communion wine was really good, could she do a second communion?)

It's required by canon law to be unleavened wheat bread with no additives and the wine must be pure fermented grape juice.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's that Bad Machinery storyline, huh :smith:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/29/04

Brenda Starr 2/12-14/53

Smokey Stover 3/26/61

Everyday Movies 6/26/37

"I didn't want to, officer, but he insisted on it."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/12-14/43

That last panel is almost worth this whole silly story.

Closer Than We Think! 3/26/61

The Bell Picturephone debuted at the 1964 World's Fair and saw limited commercial use afterward but was simply too expensive for almost everyone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

You're briefing Bill. He's debriefing you. :eng101:

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Unlike most Mexikid storylines, the experience shown here is identical to what you get growing up in white-bread suburbia, as least if your family is nominally Catholic. (My class used oyster crackers as practice Eucharists for teaching us the words and motions.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

This is certainly a plan.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

Let's hope it's mayonnaise, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU