Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

There's also the time Superior Spider-Man took Scorpion's jaw off with a single punch because Doc Ock didn't realize that Peter was pulling his punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I honestly can't get over how good X-Men 97 is. Maybe its like being stuck in a desert for so long and finally coming across an oasis, but it's been such a breath of fresh air. Deadpool and Wolverine looks really good too. Maybe Marvel needs to put away the Avengers, and their kids and pseudo-replacements, and go all in on X-Men for a few years and then reboot the other Marvel characters with new actors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

delightful posted:

I honestly can't get over how good X-Men 97 is. Maybe its like being stuck in a desert for so long and finally coming across an oasis, but it's been such a breath of fresh air. Deadpool and Wolverine looks really good too. Maybe Marvel needs to put away the Avengers, and their kids and pseudo-replacements, and go all in on X-Men for a few years and then reboot the other Marvel characters with new actors.
I've been surprised that has there has been no news on a live action X-Men movie yet. That seems like a good way to reinvigorate the MCU going forward.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

delightful posted:

I hope it leads them to doing a Spider-Man '98 series

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I only started following this thread because of how good x-men 97 has been. I never really had that much nostalgia for x-men, and I typically have an aversion to anything marvel related (especially avengers stuff) but sometimes they do something that catches my attention. X-men 97 has completely captivated me as something that is far better than it has any right to be. I'll probably unfollow this thread after the finale.

Rogue yeeting captain america's shield works on so many levels for me.

Away all Goats posted:

This would definitely keep my attention though.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 30, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Technowolf posted:

There's also the time Superior Spider-Man took Scorpion's jaw off with a single punch because Doc Ock didn't realize that Peter was pulling his punches.

there's been alot of post-One More Day stuff I just ignore (like does MJ really need to have powers? Spider-man being a jerk to all his friends), but the Superior Spider-man thing does seem interesting, how long was that run?

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've been surprised that has there has been no news on a live action X-Men movie yet. That seems like a good way to reinvigorate the MCU going forward.

They get one shot at this and don't want to gently caress it up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GateOfD posted:

how long was that run?

Just long enough

(A couple dozen issues from memory)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

GateOfD posted:

there's been alot of post-One More Day stuff I just ignore (like does MJ really need to have powers? Spider-man being a jerk to all his friends), but the Superior Spider-man thing does seem interesting, how long was that run?
The omnibus edition seems to comprise 37 issues, if I counted them right.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

gregday posted:

She was also in Bear McCreary’s BSG orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9w04bORgHc

Jesus she rules. She didn't do that electric cello for The Dark Knight's Joker Theme right? I thought I remembered some dude playing it in the BTS featurette. Because if she did, yikes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

KurdtLives posted:

Jesus she rules. She didn't do that electric cello for The Dark Knight's Joker Theme right? I thought I remembered some dude playing it in the BTS featurette. Because if she did, yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjJnWuA7-ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-wAvbxB7D8

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Same. I consider Spiderman TAS a much, much beter show than X-Men TAS and would love to see it continued. I'm not even a huge Spiderman fan, I just thought the show was excellent.

TAS Kingpin deserves the respect TAS Apocalypse gets. Such an amazing voice and the dude was behind literally everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-xJk9oE7EQ

Speaking of Comic Spiderman's strength and holding back, though, this is I believe how they've retconned the way Kingpin used to be a real physical threat to him back in the day. They just said Peter was holding back. Now he's a Daredevil villain who is probably stronger and tougher than Matt but Matt is leagues weaker than Peter so Fisk has been dropped several threat levels.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The talk of the theme song reminded me of my favourite obscure 90s trivia:

The original X-Men cartoon was produced by Saban Entertainment, who also brought the Power Rangers to the west. The demand for that kind of content was so high that they produced a number of original series, including Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, which applied the formula to Irish mythology. And for whatever reason, the German dub had an intro by folk band The Kelly Family, which riffed on the melody from the X-Men intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MURRgSd4ecM

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Wow, I only just found out that Ron Wasserman made the themes for both X-Men and Power Rangers, and that he cranked out the former in two weeks and the latter in a day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AzureFlame posted:

Also they're probably waiting to see how Deadpool 3 does before they make any major announcements.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

NikkolasKing posted:

Same. I consider Spiderman TAS a much, much beter show than X-Men TAS and would love to see it continued. I'm not even a huge Spiderman fan, I just thought the show was excellent.

There's no way they aren't at least talking about this. Spider-Man TAS has the same janky yet fully-committed charm that X-Men TAS had, and also had an infamous cliffhanger ending that left Mary-Jane's disappearance unresolved. I've been an advocate for Christopher Daniel Barnes, in many ways My Spiderman(tm), for years and I'd love for him to come back and for his version of the character to be given closure.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Skios posted:

The talk of the theme song reminded me of my favourite obscure 90s trivia:

The original X-Men cartoon was produced by Saban Entertainment, who also brought the Power Rangers to the west. The demand for that kind of content was so high that they produced a number of original series, including Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, which applied the formula to Irish mythology. And for whatever reason, the German dub had an intro by folk band The Kelly Family, which riffed on the melody from the X-Men intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MURRgSd4ecM

It feels more probable to me that they were riffing on the Whitney Houston song that X-Men is also likely riffing from. It was a big hit in both the US and Europe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0oRnyXxIrY&t=52s

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It feels more probable to me that they were riffing on the Whitney Houston song that X-Men is also likely riffing from. It was a big hit in both the US and Europe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0oRnyXxIrY&t=52s

there's a much clearer (and earlier) source of inspiration for the x-men theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6AfYgqe_4

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Adrianics posted:

There's no way they aren't at least talking about this. Spider-Man TAS has the same janky yet fully-committed charm that X-Men TAS had, and also had an infamous cliffhanger ending that left Mary-Jane's disappearance unresolved. I've been an advocate for Christopher Daniel Barnes, in many ways My Spiderman(tm), for years and I'd love for him to come back and for his version of the character to be given closure.

Barnes is so good. I'm not a huge Spiderman fan - I saw the Reimi movies and TAS - and it's kinda funny to me to see the revisionism about Maguire-man. For 20 years I heard people mock his performance. Now, Bully Maguire is good, but that's because he's finally having fun. That was what people (rightfully) hated about his performance, Spiderman simply wasn't fun. Maybe Maguire was an okay Peter but he was not a good Spiderman. It's the same deal with Bale in The Dark Knight. One of the most acclaimed superhero films of all time but everybody knew his Batman was a loving joke. ("WGERE ARE THEY?!!?"

With TAS, I could see why people loved Spiderman so much.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of his fight against The Spot where Spot initially appears to be kicking the poo poo out him throughout the fight:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TIP posted:

there's a much clearer (and earlier) source of inspiration for the x-men theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6AfYgqe_4

I mean, Ron Wasserman absolutely for sure heard the Whitney song over and over. For Linda to have inspired him, you have to believe that what, he was diligently following cop shows from the other side of the iron curtain during the 1980s somehow?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I mean, Ron Wasserman absolutely for sure heard the Whitney song over and over. For Linda to have inspired him, you have to believe that what, he was diligently following cop shows from the other side of the iron curtain during the 1980s somehow?

it was a very popular show, I don't think it's impossible that someone interested in composing for TV got his hands on some popular TV themes from around the world for inspiration

I'm not saying it definitely did happen that way, but the resemblance is much more striking than the whitney houston song

https://x.com/BethElderkin/status/1181958864771715072

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I thought this was some sort of bizarre joke, then the riff hit and, yeah, that's the X-Men theme.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even though there have been a few fun series and films post-Endgame, they really should have come back like a year later (or whenever rights were straightened out) with a big new tentpole film like a Fantastic 4 or X-Men to mark the new phase, rather than trying to build out characters that don't really have that heft in the public consciousness. All this multiverse stuff would have worked a lot smoother had it started with F4 and been built out from there.

They really didn't seem to realise that even if a character has been a big celebrated part of the comics for a decade or so, they'd feel like a weird ancillary character to the comic book movie audience at large. Not just characters like Moon Knight or Ms Marvel, but even Sam Wilson doesn't have that iconic pull of characters who have been established since the 60's. I think the only 'new' Marvel character that can really cut it in that mainstream sense is probably Miles Morales.

Even Iron Man hitting it big as an MCU character was a fluke, really, and down to being the first film in the franchise.

At this stage, is the MCU now the biggest example going of the late capitalist content pipeline churn devaluing a beloved franchise? Does this eclipse Star Wars or The Simpsons?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Barnes is so good. I'm not a huge Spiderman fan - I saw the Reimi movies and TAS - and it's kinda funny to me to see the revisionism about Maguire-man. For 20 years I heard people mock his performance. Now, Bully Maguire is good, but that's because he's finally having fun. That was what people (rightfully) hated about his performance, Spiderman simply wasn't fun. Maybe Maguire was an okay Peter but he was not a good Spiderman. It's the same deal with Bale in The Dark Knight. One of the most acclaimed superhero films of all time but everybody knew his Batman was a loving joke. ("WGERE ARE THEY?!!?"

With TAS, I could see why people loved Spiderman so much.

I agree with you here, there's a lot of hollywood schlock/being embarraased by the source material in those old films, and they only make it to the top of people's ranking lists because they're the films from their childhood. Even X2, which I think holds up on its own merits, is still a Hollywood action film adaptation as opposed to being a full-fat comic book film. Like, the later films definitely got a lot more characters much closer to the source material - including 'iconic' roles like Xavier, Magneto, Nightcrawler...

In terms of Spider-Man I think Tom Holland's version of Spiderman is really the first time they nailed the character on-screen.

In terms of the animated series, aren't they doing an animated prequel to the Tom Holland version? Is that still on the cards?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TIP posted:

it was a very popular show, I don't think it's impossible that someone interested in composing for TV got his hands on some popular TV themes from around the world for inspiration

I'm not saying it definitely did happen that way, but the resemblance is much more striking than the whitney houston song

https://x.com/BethElderkin/status/1181958864771715072

Lmao there almost a kazoo noise when Cyclops uses his powers

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

The Grumbles posted:

Does this eclipse ... The Simpsons?

let's not say absolutely insane things here now

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Grumbles posted:

In terms of Spider-Man I think Tom Holland's version of Spiderman is really the first time they nailed the character on-screen.

100% He's the only Spider-man with the nervous energy, athleticism and 'quipping because I'm terrified, but also a huge nerd' behaviour that defines the character.

Also, has (well, had) a good supporting cast he let near him and didn't just do the boring old "no one can know my secret!" routine which is as old and boring as yet another origin story.

Which is another thing I like about Holland's Spider-man, when we first meet him, he's been a hero for a while.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Loved the rabbithole I just went down clicking those three links in succession. Top gooning everyone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AzureFlame posted:

Yeah, I think I mentioned this before, but I'm only half joking when I say I can see Feige being shown X-Men '97 and, in a panic, scrapping the plans they had for an X-Men movie. Like, wiping off what they had on a white board, screaming, "NOT GOOD ENOUGH! WHAT THE HELL DO WE DO NOW?!" The bar has been seriously raised on what I'm expecting from an X-Men movie due to this show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/ZannLenore/status/1785191550877937807?t=Et_IA462OBEcRusEl7F78g&s=19

America's rear end looking good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

would love a Spider-man '98

issue I think is I have no idea where the rights are, since its in an awkward spot with Sony

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sony has film rights
Disney has had animated rights to Spider-Man for like 20 years

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sockser posted:

Sony has film rights

Less, but yeah, Disney getting them was how Spectacular Spider-Man got cancelled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sockser posted:

Sony has film rights

More specifically, Sony has theatrical rights for animation as well. Hence the Spider-Verse films.

And to muddy the waters even more. Sony has animation rights on TV if it exceeds 44 minutes per episode. Which is unlikely to happen anyway because animated shows are generally half hours.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 30, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

Less, but yeah, Disney getting them was how Spectacular Spider-Man got cancelled.

Uggh it was so poorly timed.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

X-O posted:

And to muddy the waters even more. Sony has animation rights on TV if it exceeds 44 minutes per episode. Which is unlikely to happen anyway because animated shows are generally half hours.

I wonder if this is why Invincible handled the Spider-Man crossover the way they did (or if they just would've done it anyway because it's easier).

In the Invincible comics, there's a gag about him travelling through multiple dimensions that has a Spider-man bit, which was then followed up by a full issue of Marvel Team-Up starring Invincible and what happened off-screen during said gag.

They still do the gag in the Invincible show, but they're off-brand Doc Ock and Spider-Man instead of the real deal ... but Agent Spider is voiced by Josh Keaton.

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 30, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/XMenUpdate/status/1785339255092289749

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I was going to bring up the Phalanx Covenant plotline, but then I saw that I was 13 when it came out and now I feel very tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Family road trips are always so dull :rolleyes: