Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Clarste posted:

Yeah, Roche has no history with Cloud, he's just a random SOLDIER given a name and a face so we might care even slightly about what happens to him.

Like, frankly it is bizarre that there is not a single SOLDIER character in the original game.

Because anyone in SOLDIER who might have known Cloud from before the start of the game would instantly give away the twist, so SOLDIERs kind of have to be kept at arms length, unless they're new weirdos like Roche. You can see that happen in the Shinra building in Remake where some random goon's like "Oh poo poo, Cloud! Is that you? Let me go get Kunsel, he'd love to know you're alive!" and Cloud just loving bee lines the party to the nearest elevator because Kunsel's one of the few people who can legitimately go "Hey, wait a minute here..." to all of Cloud's Clouding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Lmao I genuinely thought he was a pre existing character because he's so deranged and obsessed with cloud but that's even funnier tbh

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Lmao I genuinely thought he was a pre existing character because he's so deranged and obsessed with cloud but that's even funnier tbh

It's further than that. Some of his stuff was originally going to be for Broden, but then they realized they had a much less drab character.

Plus he has really good boss music. I go back and forth if I like his or the Reno/Rude version of the Turks' theme the best of this game's boss musics.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

No it isn't? I thought Roche was going to be a whisper projection or something

weird thing to think

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's further than that. Some of his stuff was originally going to be for Broden, but then they realized they had a much less drab character.

Plus he has really good boss music. I go back and forth if I like his or the Reno/Rude version of the Turks' theme the best of this game's boss musics.

Roche's theme wins out purely on the basis that it's diegetic.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Augus posted:

weird thing to think

He doesn't exist in ff7 and turns up out of nowhere in remake so I think it's reasonable to assume he's a parallel universe bleed over or whatever

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

He showed up with the motorcycle cops to arrest Cloud and Jessie for motorcycle crimes. He wasn't in the original because Jessie didn't force Cloud into a sidequest there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm still bummed Cowgirl Tifa and Trooper Red aren't unlockable skins. The latter especially.

Edit: young Cloud should be available too.

deoju fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 30, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

deoju posted:

I'm still bummed Cowgirl Tifa and Trooper Red aren't unlockable skins. The latter especially.

Edit: young Cloud should be available too.

It's an actual crime that you can't unlock that one Gold Saucer event outfit for Barret.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Namnesor posted:

Roche's theme wins out purely on the basis that it's diegetic.

I meant the second one, but that one is also good, because when that scene came up, and it showed the audience, I demanded that we get a military band version of the boss theme, and while I didn't get exactly what I wanted, it was definitely close enough to get full credit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just figured when they added Roche it was to jazz up the eventual fight with Motorball, but I simply wasn't thinking bombastic enough.

Also considering they juice him up in Rebirth they could maybe have done that earlier and had him be the specific person that Sephiroth goes into for the end of Remake, but that's less creative than what they actually did prolly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

nine-gear crow posted:

Because anyone in SOLDIER who might have known Cloud from before the start of the game would instantly give away the twist, so SOLDIERs kind of have to be kept at arms length, unless they're new weirdos like Roche. You can see that happen in the Shinra building in Remake where some random goon's like "Oh poo poo, Cloud! Is that you? Let me go get Kunsel, he'd love to know you're alive!" and Cloud just loving bee lines the party to the nearest elevator because Kunsel's one of the few people who can legitimately go "Hey, wait a minute here..." to all of Cloud's Clouding.

Oh I didn’t realize that guy mentioned Kunsel, now that I’ve played Crisis Core that makes a lot more sense.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The bit where Hojo counted Chadley corpses and apparently invaded Chadley's brain in a cutscene during the protorelic stuff also didn't pay off yet, but I haven't finished Ragnarok Island or whatever it's called yet.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What if Chadley apparently dies, and Knights of the Round is all Chadley in Cosplay?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Don't think I used summons at all this game, like less than a handful of times and was like "the summon sure helped out" in regular play.

having to wait a timer to summon after staggering really reduces their use.
Since even for most chapter bosses, and hunts, if your able to stagger them and unload all your limit breaks, the fight is already almost over. By the time I can summon, the boss is like 15% HP and I just don't bother and use regular attacks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Took a break for a while and wanted to do the side quests. Goddamn is Gilgamesh a fun fight (on normal lol)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Don't think I used summons at all this game, like less than a handful of times and was like "the summon sure helped out" in regular play.

having to wait a timer to summon after staggering really reduces their use.
Since even for most chapter bosses, and hunts, if your able to stagger them and unload all your limit breaks, the fight is already almost over. By the time I can summon, the boss is like 15% HP and I just don't bother and use regular attacks.

Cait Sith has a skill which lets him use summon abilities without needing to summon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait wait wait

When they say craft everything to get to craftmanship 16

They literally mean EVERYTHING? Including all the ultimate accessories that need dark matter ?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Did see that, didn’t use Cait Sith at all really, I placed material on him to level but didn’t even bother learning all his weapon skills

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait wait wait

When they say craft everything to get to craftmanship 16

They literally mean EVERYTHING? Including all the ultimate accessories that need dark matter ?

Yes, to max out crafting you need to craft one of everything. However nothing new unlocks in the last tier.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Roche is a much better villain than sephiroth. He's just that great mix of dumb, competitive and theatrical.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair Sephiroth is dumb, competitive and theatrical as gently caress, dude spends his spare time trolling the poo poo out of Cloud. He's just in a position of power rather than equality.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Don’t think Roche counts as a villain

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Don’t think Roche counts as a villain

The dude is basically More Affable Zenos. He works for the bad guys and would absolutely goddamn kill Cloud if he could, he's just doing it out of rivalry rather than malicious intent.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Has Sephiroth ever been on a motorcycle?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Sephiroth is dumb, competitive and theatrical as gently caress, dude spends his spare time trolling the poo poo out of Cloud. He's just in a position of power rather than equality.

This is why we need Genesis back in the main plot. We need a villain who someone is willing to stand up and go "Please stop, you're making it TOO horny" to both in game and in real life.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Roche is theatrical in an over the top "give me a good time" way. Sephiroth is theatrical in a weird chuuni kid way.

It's just easier to get invested in a rivalry with adrenaline junky power mullet motorcycle guy than teleporting sword ghost creepy smile guy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Roche seems interested in giving his partner a good time, which Sephiroth is not, although in both cases Cloud is incapable of communicating his (sexual) needs so the distinction doesn't matter much to him.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Square Enix announced they are canceling some games, eating the losses and pivoting strategy.
https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-dragon-quest-kingdom-hearts-1851445450

I don't care so long as this doesn't mean the next game will be disappointing. The timing does look like sales of Rebirth haven't met hopes though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they specifically said the sales of rebirth met their expectations. this is about stuff like foamstars, nothing to do with the remakes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I would hope they're more focused on scrutinizing their truckload of dumpster-tier recent releases that never had a chance of appealing to anyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

various daylife

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I know quite a few people have said they're passing on the PS5 version and waiting till the PC port of Rebirth drops, and PS5 adoption still isn't as widespread as the PS4 was at the time Remake dropped. So I wonder if that's all anecdotal, or if there's something to that and Rebirth will see an eventual late round surge in sales when it hits Epic and/or Steam. Maybe not, but who knows.

Kitase and Nomura have said repeatedly that the production pipeline for Part 3 is basically a waterslide at this point given the talent and assets they've retained from Remake and Rebirth, so I'd wager that Part 3 is probably the safest Square production at this point and would take some serious fuckheaded meddling from above to derail in any way.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
they’re not kidding with the hard mode, getting absolutely wrecked by a mob of mandrakes on literally the very first side quest - just can’t seem to create an opening

E: forgot about aeriths shield

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

I would hope they're more focused on scrutinizing their truckload of dumpster-tier recent releases that never had a chance of appealing to anyone

I mean have they really had many of those?

Foamstars was an attempt to grab the Splatoon audience on a non-Nintendo console which could have worked if it was as good as Splatoon, but it wasn't a random shot in the dark.
Outside of that their recent releases have been like...

Paranormasite- A low-budget horror visual novel, not exactly something that doesn't have a proven audience.
Dragon Quest: Infinite Strash- A lovely anime tie-in to an incredibly popular Japanese anime. Has a proven audience even if it sucked.
Harvestella - A weird low-budget action RPG/farming sim, and lol at the idea those don't have an audience.
Diofield Chronicles - A weird low budget tactic-RPG, something people were hyped about when announced.
Various Daylife: A cheapo port of an Apple Arcade game.

Everything else is either Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest (technically IS is too), or another proven IP like SaGa or Mana.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I mean have they really had many of those?

Foamstars was an attempt to grab the Splatoon audience on a non-Nintendo console which could have worked if it was as good as Splatoon, but it wasn't a random shot in the dark.
Outside of that their recent releases have been like...

Paranormasite- A low-budget horror visual novel, not exactly something that doesn't have a proven audience.
Dragon Quest: Infinite Strash- A lovely anime tie-in to an incredibly popular Japanese anime. Has a proven audience even if it sucked.
Harvestella - A weird low-budget action RPG/farming sim, and lol at the idea those don't have an audience.
Diofield Chronicles - A weird low budget tactic-RPG, something people were hyped about when announced.
Various Daylife: A cheapo port of an Apple Arcade game.

Everything else is either Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest (technically IS is too), or another proven IP like SaGa or Mana.

Forspoken
Valkyrie Elysium
Chocobo GP
Babylon's Fall

are the main things im taking of as giant faceplants. chocobo and valkyrie were tied to proven IPs, but executed in a way claerly nobody wanted. forspoken and babylon's fall are exactly the sort of games that *should* have been canned before reaching the finish line.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

Forspoken
Valkyrie Elysium
Chocobo GP
Babylon's Fall

are the main things im taking of as giant faceplants. chocobo and valkyrie were tied to proven IPs, but executed in a way claerly nobody wanted. forspoken and babylon's fall are exactly the sort of games that *should* have been canned before reaching the finish line.

First Soldier should also be on that list for the exact same reasons and ALSO canned before it hit any marketplace.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

correct but first soldier was a phone game and theyre specifically referring to console games here. though ironically if first soldier had had a pc/console port it might have had a better shot at surviving, only the chinese want to play battle royale shooters on their phones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

correct but first soldier was a phone game and theyre specifically referring to console games here. though ironically if first soldier had had a pc/console port it might have had a better shot at surviving, only the chinese want to play battle royale shooters on their phones.

It DID seem like it was tailor made for a PC/Console release to take whatever sized bite it could out of the Fornite/PUBG/Apex market, but lol. Maybe they were gonna follow the Ever Crisis model where it got a mobile release first and then a larger port, but it just never grew the legs it needed to get that point like Ever Crisis at least managed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Babylon's Fall, Forspoken, and First Soldier all being basically DoA had to have hurt a lot. As far as I've heard FFXVI and Rebirth both had acceptable sales but not the kind of phenomenal sales that would have been needed to cover for the expensive duds.

It's probably not as bad as the situation at the time of FFXIV 1.0? But still not great.