Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Today In Body Horror:

Honestly I Think Dora Would Love Trains Way More Than Planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/7/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/11/1994)

Ziggy

(12/7/1971)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Mad that he couldn't shoehorn a single actual irregular verb in there (unless you count the "is" in "they're"??)

Incredibly impressive modernized "bats aren't bugs" energy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i only really remember the siren storyline for Bad Machinery. and some time travel one? what's the deal with this one? I vaguely remember that girl being a total bully but the rest I don't.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Boy howdy, finishing up a thesis takes up a lot of mental energy. My posts have fallen behind big time, I'll just give you some highlights of the first half of April, and the last half will come later. But for now, a welcome return to Ballard Street!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Let's just take a moment to...appreciate the art in panel one.

Selachian posted:

Archie 4/10-12/50

Archie, you have accidentally signed up for like half a dozen dangerous physical activities in the last year. At some point you've got to learn to ask substantial questions before putting pen to paper.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I was raised Episcopalian and I don't recall if Confirmation was a prerequisite for receiving the Eucharist. All I know is that, many years later, I realized that my weekly ingestion of a stale wafer soaked in watered-down Sutter Home (We did not drink from the chalice, my dad is a quiet germophobe and made sure everybody in the family followed his lead on intinction) had prepared my palate to enjoy a cheap bottle of red wine without complains. Church attendance is a rarity for me now, though I still enjoy a water cracker or hunk of bread dipped in my Bota Box from time to time.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i only really remember the siren storyline for Bad Machinery. and some time travel one? what's the deal with this one? I vaguely remember that girl being a total bully but the rest I don't.

This is the one with no supernatural elements or magical realism, just pure teen drama. In an attempt to stop Blossom from being a raging bully, Shuana befriends her and in the process reveals that she was the person who reported her brother Darren for narcotics possession and got him sent to prison...information that Blossom later shares with Darren in a moment of petty cruelty. Despite this, Shauna keeps trying to do what she thinks is the right thing for Blossom and pushes her other friends away - Lottie in particular - in the process.

Cul de Sac

Alice's complaints about her Dad's attempts to entertain her are so fun. Huge slam on golfers/half the writers in the funny pages out of nowhere!

It Is 2003 and There is No Celebrity Bigger

I threw in Non Sequitur as a gag yesterday but what the heck, let's give it a trial run

...if it remains another precocious Hot Topic Child strip, it may not stick around.

Rose is Rose

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 30, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

JethroMcB posted:

...if it remains another precocious Hot Topic Child strip, it may not stick around.

Wait... there's more than one of those? Various? Plural? :psyduck:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

if we ignore the last 2 decades of the strip it may be possible!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

perfect execution, no notes

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The_Other posted:

Second, Disney and Time Warner are both much bigger companies that CPI, so they were probably more likely to look the other way for a time, either because they felt it might be seen as bad publicity to hound Allison or (more likely IMO) it just wasn't worth the legal hassle. Either way they could afford to do so.

Third, I'm guessing someone from Marvel and/or DC did contact Allison, but were probably more gentle about the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had contacted Allison saying "hey, nice comics, but we really need you to take them down after while) or something to that effect.

Just my own thoughts on the matter.

Speaking from second-hand experience, there's almost no chance that he wasn't contacted by Marvel/Disney and yes, they probably sent a fairly courteous C&D that effectively said "we'll look the other way while you finish this up but recommend you don't ever do anything like it again"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 30, 1936)

Peanuts (May 3, 1977)

Cranky Shafterbean

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (June 11-13, 1936; spoilers for more dialect shenanigans and a possible Romani henchman)

Thimble Theater (December 3, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 31-August 2, 1944)

More of the Wart's lateral logic reminds me I found a kindred soul here. Growing up, I tricked myself into thinking I was one good turn away from being a Goldie, but in retrospect I had more Wart in me than I could explain (because that's how much Wart I had in me).

(And that's talking in terms of types, not the actual characters.)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

EasyEW posted:

Li'l Abner (June 11-13, 1936; spoilers for more dialect shenanigans and a possible Romani henchman)

A henchman named Sancho is almost certainly a bad Spanish stereotype.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Saoshyant posted:

Wait... there's more than one of those? Various? Plural? :psyduck:
Lio comes to mind.

It's not the worst comic in the world but it's very one-note.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Rand Brittain posted:

A henchman named Sancho is almost certainly a bad Spanish stereotype.

Thanks, I was thrown by the sash and the earring. And now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure why.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 30, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

growing up in the United Church, we always had either sourdough or plain brown bread with grape juice. The first time I received Eucharist or anything transubstantiation-related, my thoughts were "this doesn't taste like bread" and "what the gently caress did they just put in my mouth?!?!?! It tastes so bitter!" and when my parents explained that I just had wine for the first time (we were in an Anglican church, because they hosted my cub troop :canada:) and I couldn't understand why people would willingly drink that stuff on a regular basis

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I took communion by accident at the Catholic school where my mother worked (They had an attached church). It didn't taste like anything and she stopped me before I took the wine.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

I think this is where Michael Jackson comes in, stops the fight, and tells them it doesn't matter who's wrong or right.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I don't think I ever partook in communion at my Disciples of Christ church. Just never did the proper steps and didn't care :shrug: I think it was just some reddish juice and chalky bread nibbles though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak posted:

I took communion by accident at the Catholic school where my mother worked (They had an attached church). It didn't taste like anything and she stopped me before I took the wine.
Daywalker.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(November 1, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 2, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(April 1, 1913)

- The Hope Mining Co -
'Lil Rock Idaho.

Dear Miss Hicks -

i don't know if you remember me but i red yur add about $10,00000. we went to sckool together up to the third reeder befour i ran away. i am driving a mule for this here Hope mining co. and i pritty neer lost hope as i only git $12 munth and kant saive absolutely nuthing. now i hait to ask so much but if you kan send me just enuff to git home i kan pay you rite back when i git a jobb

yur old colige chumb
Roy Hardy.

P.S. doant send munny order i owe the post master some munny to.
RH

Gasoline Alley()

No Gasoline Alley for December 23, 1919

Us Boys(April 30, 1912)

The Gumps(May 29, 1917)

Bringing up Father(January 23, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 17, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 12, 1918)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

:ohdear:

I've not seen this story before but I sense bad things about to happen.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Today was the first time I really noticed the Securico sign outside of the prison when Darren was being released a few strips back:

Allison really excels at satirizing insipid corpospeak and half-assed PR work. Let's People!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Kavak posted:

Same, I was a non-catholic student at a Catholic grade school. Nobody really cared except some of the other kids in the class.

Ordered some communion wafers to eat during the Superbowl. Probably would do that more often, if they weren't so expensive, and I had a good recipe to use them in.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

maltesh posted:

Same, I was a non-catholic student at a Catholic grade school. Nobody really cared except some of the other kids in the class.

Ordered some communion wafers to eat during the Superbowl. Probably would do that more often, if they weren't so expensive, and I had a good recipe to use them in.

I think it came up earlier in another Mexikid discussion, but in some places they sell leftover communion wafer scraps as snack food.

I'm not sure why anyone would want them though. As an extremely lapsed Catholic, it's been decades since I took communion, but I remember them as barely a step up from eating cardboard.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Yeah I had real bread growing up Methodist but when I tried wafers at some non-denominational service I was like wtf this is Styrofoam

Ergo. Jesus was made of polystyrene and he didn't ascend to heaven, he blew away

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

I like how the egg has lipstick on. (I’ve also since revised the second page to have fewer repetitions of “in some cases” – it grated on me a bit.)

Also some boyfriend / husband chat because I did go ahead and look it up: I was wrong, this is almost certainly the same guy she was with at the beginning of the comic and wrote about in the essays in volume 1 – her son was born in ’92, and she married her second husband in ’95 (her first marriage was in ‘79 and didn’t last long), which is when this particular comic is taking place.

Haraiso Days

quote:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

lol

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

well, ectopic pregnancies sound absolutely horrifying, thank you WAR

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

rannum posted:

well, ectopic pregnancies sound absolutely horrifying, thank you WAR

They are and there is literally no treatment but termination. No procedure exists to remove an embryo that has implanted in the fallopian tube and have it re-implant in the uterus.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

maltesh posted:

It's not exactly the same but depending what you like about them matzah may fill that niche. Flat, unseasoned, and they make "not for Passover" versions (same stuff, they just don't pay to have it formally overseen by a rabbi when they don't need to) that are usually available in the supermarket's Ethnic Foods aisle.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Also re: WAR Husband

From what we see he's pretty involved with his Kid's life (frequently taking him out on his own, playing with him, holding him when Mom's not around, etc) and handles him well enough. We know he seems fairly chill with her openness too (I had a chuckle at a little aside in one of the comments about one of her new boyfriends she was with while traveling), and still accepted the child as his own. The only real complaints she's made towards him was being useless at night. And even that felt more exaggerated because of the stressful situation she was talking about.

I think for the most part he's just sidelined in these stories less because he's a lump and more because she understandably wants the focus to be on her & her kid, which is why the husband usually just shows up as a reaction shot, someone to bounce a set up off of, or for a joke aka what she does with all her many many many celebrity friends.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maltesh posted:

The fun part about ordering the wafers for snack purposes is that (as far as I'm aware) it's not even sacrilege. Until they get officially consecrated by a priest, the crackers are just crackers and it's 100% okay, doctrinally speaking, to do whatever you want with them. Once that consecration is done and transubstantiation kicks in, though, making them into nachos* or whatever would seriously piss off a lot of people.

* For this dish I propose the name Nacho Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
also once transubstatated the wafers don’t stop being jesus so any left over after communion have to be locked up

the people who who help pass out the wine and wafers usually just polish off any extra wine themselves while putting the plates away