Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I love that there are multiple evil shrines in the sewers beneath Vivec. I mean, come the gently caress on. Is anyone even going down there?

If I’m remembering right, daedra worship is outlawed by The Tribunal, so underground cults gotta make do where they can.

Can anyone confirm if I’m remembering correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

chaosapiant posted:

If I’m remembering right, daedra worship is outlawed by The Tribunal, so underground cults gotta make do where they can.

Isn't there a big daedeic shrine literally right outside the eastern city gate?

I'm pretty sure they're doing it because they're cool rebels.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

chaosapiant posted:

Depends on the Daedra, right? You can worship Azura, Mephala and Boethia because they are said to have given proper obeisance to the Tribunal.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Isn't there a big daedeic shrine literally right outside the eastern city gate?

I'm pretty sure they're doing it because they're cool rebels.

Well, it's a ruin and the Ordinators do seem to raid them fairly often. Plus, sure, there are some worshippers in there but I'm assuming even in the world of Daedra worship you have to build up some reputation, get a letter of recommendation etc by doing some sewer worship etc, before you can just walk into Ald Sotha without being eaten by a Clannfear.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hi everyone I want to start playing this game, but the thread's OP is from 2011 lol. Is there any site with a recommended mod list for a first time playing Morrowind? Or like essential mods or something like that? Very new to morrowind

I’ll quote my post from the last time this question came up.

Cantorsdust posted:

I just looked through it. The bones are still good. Mod Organizer 2, Morrowind Code Patch, MGEXE and MWSE are still the start. Then add an unofficial patch (Patch for Purists is what I’ve used), an AI upscale texture pack, maybe a mesh pack, and then content as desired. Tamriel Rebuilt continues to come along and at this point has another game’s worth of landmass and content. There are some other large content packs in the works like Province Cyrodiil, but they’re still in early phases.

There’s a ton of cool stuff getting added after MWSE-lua enabled a renaissance of script mods.

Open-MW also continues to improve, and at this point you’ll find some people who prefer it to the original engine. I’m not there yet though—I like MGEXE and MWSE too much.

I lost my last computer to a hard drive failure, so at some point this year I’m going to have to reinstall Morrowind from scratch. Which is oddly freeing and exciting. When I do I’ll make a detailed step by step write up of a light mod setup for the thread.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would consider modding if there is one that allows me to squeeze by npcs who stubbornly stand in narrow halls and prevent me from getting around them

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I would consider modding if there is one that allows me to squeeze by npcs who stubbornly stand in narrow halls and prevent me from getting around them

Move Alongis the closest I’ve seen for this.

Otherwise go the traditional way: Pull up console, tcl to turn off collision, walk through, tcl again to turn back on.

Edit from the comments someone also posted

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43119

and

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-63-1487

Although I think Morrowind Modding History is down if I remember?

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 30, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I use ra in console, it Resets the Actors to the default location and you don't have to toggle it back on like collision.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While I'm thinking about it, is it practical to train mercantile naturally? I assume to do so you fudge the numbers around while bartering but the vendors never accept even a single gold difference.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SettingSun posted:

Bring down console
Type RA, press enter
Close console

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SettingSun posted:

While I'm thinking about it, is it practical to train mercantile naturally? I assume to do so you fudge the numbers around while bartering but the vendors never accept even a single gold difference.

For the love of God no, any of the success/failure skills like that please just pay a trainer to get them up to 30-40.

Failure does increase the skill but also dramatically impacts your sanity. Now that you're used to the game remember that 90% of the tedium in Morrowind is optional and give yourself a little treat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SettingSun posted:

not really. fiddling the numbers is how to naturally train it, and if you're struggling then you want to do bigger transactions with less skilled merchants to get them to allow that one coin difference, but it's way easier and probably cheaper to just train

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well, it's a ruin and the Ordinators do seem to raid them fairly often. Plus, sure, there are some worshippers in there but I'm assuming even in the world of Daedra worship you have to build up some reputation, get a letter of recommendation etc by doing some sewer worship etc, before you can just walk into Ald Sotha without being eaten by a Clannfear.

plus imagine playing ironman mode which is what it would be like living in the game i suppose, so you absolutely cannot take insane risks and have to carefully plan out stuff, and not knowing certain types of creatures are immune to certain kinds of things. Imagine what it'd be like to flawlessly stab a clannfear in the open eyeball like some ultra badass and it doesn't do poo poo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SettingSun posted:

In openmw you can set the collision bounding box to be a cylinder and it works fine on those castle spiral staircases that I always notice getting stuck on

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

For the love of God no, any of the success/failure skills like that please just pay a trainer to get them up to 30-40.

Failure does increase the skill but also dramatically impacts your sanity. Now that you're used to the game remember that 90% of the tedium in Morrowind is optional and give yourself a little treat.

i also do this for alchemy tbh, even on characters that don't use alchemy, but this is one of the lower priorities if it's not something I'm actively using. It lets you read the effects of potions and ingredients once you get to that point.

A real rear end in a top hat designer would make it so the accuracy of your estimated value for items would be linked to your rank in mercantile. It'd suddenly be a real fuckin important skill then. If you just have no idea how much a "void salt" or an "ebony dagger" or a "sload soap" is worth then you're a little hosed, huh? Better just guess. Maybe you could have it so there's a hint you get, based off the merchant's expressions and manner.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

SettingSun posted:

this is basic functionality in openmw, they will step out of your way automatically

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
if you arent using mwse stuff i dont see why you wouldn't just use openmw by default

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

A real rear end in a top hat designer would make it so the accuracy of your estimated value for items would be linked to your rank in mercantile. It'd suddenly be a real fuckin important skill then. If you just have no idea how much a "void salt" or an "ebony dagger" or a "sload soap" is worth then you're a little hosed, huh? Better just guess. Maybe you could have it so there's a hint you get, based off the merchant's expressions and manner.
That's just Moonlighter, isn't it?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mystic pimp posted:

if you arent using mwse stuff i dont see why you wouldn't just use openmw by default

Honestly if you’re changing the game to such a large degree that mwse is necessary then you should just go play a different game.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

galagazombie posted:

Honestly if you’re changing the game to such a large degree that mwse is necessary then you should just go play a different game.

Nah. MW is one of the greatest sandboxes ever made, and MWSE mods are fun as hell

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

galagazombie posted:

Yeah you don't get to do that. Morrowind has some awesome mods with the script extender.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
yeah i advocate for openmw over the mwse but script extenders just help make the game easier to mod, they don't innately mean adding storm troopers and captain america or something

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Can't have ashfall without mwse!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Woebin posted:

That's just Moonlighter, isn't it?

Never played it or heard of it, tbh

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ligma posted:

Bollocks.

(Lots of good MWSE mods out there.)

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Cantorsdust posted:

I’ll quote my post from the last time this question came up.

I lost my last computer to a hard drive failure, so at some point this year I’m going to have to reinstall Morrowind from scratch. Which is oddly freeing and exciting. When I do I’ll make a detailed step by step write up of a light mod setup for the thread.

I'd definitely be interested in your writeup. Last time I did a modded install of Morrowind the guide in the OP worked pretty well, but there seems to be some registry shenanigans going on with newer versions of Win10/11 that's making the launcher options greyed out even with Admin privileges on. I think I know what the fix is but I won't be able to test it until tomorrow.

Also, from last page:

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I think the the record is something like 22 min. It involved alchemy abuse and tanking the keening and sunder damage.

We don't even need the alchemy abuse and tanking. As long as the tools are swapped away from fast enough the script doesn't run.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The May Modathon just started and a firehose of new mods are going up on Nexus. Never been a better time to mod.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Absolutely man, is it really Morrowind if you now have the option to place and rotate items in a less clunky manner

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Captain Theron posted:

Can't have ashfall without mwse!

Ashfall is so loving good. It just feels so marvellously well integrated. When I realised I could light a fire by just using a flame spell on the pile of logs, I was like.
Oh.

And it really does add spice to the whole Exploring A Weird Island aspect of Morrowind, which is one of the game's biggest appeals for me.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V for Vegas posted:

The May Modathon just started and a firehose of new mods are going up on Nexus. Never been a better time to mod.

Oh poo poo - a new Douglas Goodall quest mod just dropped. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/54525

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

I feel safe and content knowing that one day I will be a jolly fat grampa and still read devblog updates about mainland Morrowind.

https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/development-roadmap-april-2024

Maybe of the Argonian lands or of far off islands? Some exciting exotic place to travel to. Retired life w Morrowind will be very comfy.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Nexus: Wake up dear, it's time for your annual May Modathon.

My bloated load order: Yes, honey...

chaosapiant posted:

Worship of the Four Corners is certainly illegal and persecuted by the Ordinators. Worship of the Anticipations seems to be more tolerated. There's a big, notably un-toppled statue of Azura right there on the coastline, and the Morag Tong are widely understood to be worshipers of Mephala. Poor Boethiah is stuck hanging out with the fishes off the coast of Hla Oad until you restore their shrine, but I digress.

My personal head canon is that, under the reactionary leadership of people like Berel Sala, the Ordinators probably spend a lot more time than usual beating up anyone whose worship doesn't fall within the strictest Temple orthodoxy, which probably includes daedra worshipers of any stripe. Organizations like the Morag Tong might be frowned at, but are too secretive and integrated into Dunmer society to harass directly, so this abuse would typically fall on isolated worshipers and proscribed groups like the Dissident Priests.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 1, 2024

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sumerian Telecom posted:

I feel safe and content knowing that one day I will be a jolly fat grampa and still read devblog updates about mainland Morrowind.

https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/development-roadmap-april-2024

Maybe of the Argonian lands or of far off islands? Some exciting exotic place to travel to. Retired life w Morrowind will be very comfy.

after tr is done and everything gets another once-over it'll be argonia. more than likely you'll see most people join the skyrim/cyrodiil projects though

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Modding May is perfect timing since I'm planning on yet another Morrowind playthrough after I'm done with Pathfinder WOTR, probably pretty heavily modded, with a character for main game and one for TR content. Just nuked my current mods because I had way too many texture and model mods that are absolutely not necessary. Will probably just use a base of TR & BCOM with a good amount of quest mods.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

after tr is done and everything gets another once-over it'll be argonia. more than likely you'll see most people join the skyrim/cyrodiil projects though

will be very excited to play the first release of Eye of Argonia in 2045 or whatever, the TR team is the only one i trust to do Black Marsh any justice as a cool and very weird place; bethesda would just make Point Lookout from Fallout 3 but with lizards instead of hillbillies

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm looking forward to when you can move on to Valenwood in 9000 years. The in game books describe it as a land with cities built on and supported by giant walking trees (if I remember correctly.) I think we'd need a beefier script extender to make poo poo like that possible in Morrowind's engine.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I don't care strongly about Skywind but it is cool to see that the team is making good progress in a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJkeWN3_fbA

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have no feelings on Skywind personally. I'm never super interested in giant huge takes-years-to-make mods that may or not may come out, with the exception of Tamriel Rebuilt. And that's because I know the quality is high and I can play portions of it right now. But if Skywind is good, I'll give it a whirl.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The further we get from Skyrim being a state of the art action rpg the less hyped I can be for Skywind, but that still only brings it from "GOTY when it releases" to maybe Enderal levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Just confirmed the "50 reputation Level 20" bypass works today. Which is good, because even nearly at level 40 I kind of don't want to fight, uh... *counts on fingers* potentially EVERY SINGLE TELVANNI COUNCILOR due to the fact my mods and faction choices have put everybody but Aryon at a whopping *0* unshiftable disposition with me.

Bear in mind this is with TR installed, so that would mean all the ones on the mainland too.

...oops.