Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kawazu is a living legend. Square Enix are probably just thankful the guy doesn't force through costly vanity projects and instead just wants remasters and the occasional new game that costs 500 dollars to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I can only imagine that this SE announcement means they no longer feel the need to funnel money into fringe projects and are confident in their ability to develop the games they want to make and can't afford to have fail. Don't know what was cancelled but can't imagine it being anything anyone would care deeply about, although I do love fresh new IP and mediocre games. Frees up dev staff to start spinning up some exciting projects tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Buck Wildman posted:

square enix killed deus ex and one day there will be a reckoning

Oh no they killed the series with one good game that came out in 2000

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow it did come out in 2000 that was a good guess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
human revolution was inoffensive but you could kinda see the writing on the wall playing with the dev commentary and 90% of it is "i thought i had a good idea but it didnt really work at all" and "we wanted to have this big cool thing here but it ran against our schedule" and then it was kinda sealed with dishonored coming out a bit later and doing all the cool gameplay poo poo human revolution was too scared to do

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Fantastic trailer though

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Rascyc posted:

Fantastic trailer though

And soundtrack.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
otoh insanely funny that human revolution is like. the most early 2010s video game narrative. sad grizzleman's long lonely journey to find out his kidnapped wife was actually loving some other guy you killed two minutes ago the whole time and also we wrote in a tracer tong cameo that makes no sense and has no thematic or character purpose beyond implying that one quote tracer tong said to jc was a quote prequelman said to him, for, some reason idk why is adam more versed in chinese proverbs than the chinese guy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Worth noting that Tomoya Asano, the creator of the Octopath series, and Naoki Hamaguchi, the director of FF7 Rebirth, were both promoted to the executive level last month. I'm not a business expert but that seems to suggest that if anyone's concerned for the future of the HD-2D games (Octopath especially) or the FF7 remake trilogy, those are probably not what they're talking about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ex-wife

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheMightyBoops posted:

And soundtrack.

the hr ost is decent but i feel like some of the music goes for an Epic feel in a way i dont really like. kinda similar to the invisible war music i don't like cause it feels like it's trying really hard to be Deus Ex But Sad. i want loud booming techno hong kong music. let me walk out into the streets of new york and hear babow-babow dododododododododododoooo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my general feel with deus ex though is that the original game was really dumb fun in a way no game since has been willing to be. deus ex is too caught up in the image of being serious and important and deep now so half of human revolution's writing was people making really dumb philosophical statements at each other without even talking like a drunk guy with an implacable accent. we have taken all the fun out of deus ex also being a game about fighting hypermuscular russian robots with a laser sword while running at 200mph and shooting attack drones from your eyes

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Colonel posted:

the hr ost is decent but i feel like some of the music goes for an Epic feel in a way i dont really like. kinda similar to the invisible war music i don't like cause it feels like it's trying really hard to be Deus Ex But Sad. i want loud booming techno hong kong music. let me walk out into the streets of new york and hear babow-babow dododododododododododoooo

The overblown string section overlaid with synth was really cool at the time but it got co-opted into a ton of stuff after a few years. I remember hearing tracks from HR directly in a movie trailer a few years after release.

It does have one technoish banger for the club in the Hong Kong segment.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will forever curse whoever decided human revolution should not only not provide you upgrades that let you hop halfway across the earth but also decided they should give you an upgrade that slows your fall speed but doesn't actually give you control while you're falling so you can't like, pull off slowfall noscopes, you just have to watch adam do a dumb canned animation every time. dont rip away my control in a first person game for no reason! deus ex 1 would've let me do that!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh no they killed the series with one good game that came out in 2000

bad opinion alert wee woo awooga

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Human Revolution was the best one to play. I all but hated bunnyhopping around the Quake Engine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not the quake engine you moron. you buffoon. the quake engine gives you more air control than unreal 1

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Also to get to fast travel in Hundred Heroes should be one button press instead of two (local map, world map)
Sometimes it feels like games like this they never get anyone to playtest it, you just have the same people who are in from the very start and get used to it being finicky.

It's not a big deal it's just...why? I'm doing this thing OVER AND OVER make it just one button!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Human Revolution used a custom in-house game engine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i could see being into human revolution's more limited movement options if the game had more going on to make like, slow and deliberate gameplay interesting, but it's not any deeper than the other games and has a lot of new control issues so i think it ends up being a wash

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was contemplating getting the front mission remake on Steam. How bad is it? Like bad as in underwhelming but functional or bad as in literally unplayable?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The article specifically discusses that they want to outsource fewer games and focus on their in-house development studios for console games.

That is pretty unabashedly about stuff like Foamstars, not FF7R. "We're outsourcing less because FF7R underperformed" makes no sense.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

GrandpaPants posted:

I was contemplating getting the front mission remake on Steam. How bad is it? Like bad as in underwhelming but functional or bad as in literally unplayable?

FM1 is underwhelming but functional. It mostly plays just like it did back on the Super Famicom, but with better graphics and camera work.

FM2 has the worst English translation Square-Enix (or Square or Enix) has ever released. I cannot recommend it. I keep hearing rumors about this game getting a newer translation, though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What franchise do we need to sacrifice to guarantee Octopath 3?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The ones we just did. It was already noted that the Octopath director got promoted.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What franchise do we need to sacrifice to guarantee Octopath 3?

I suggest we sacrifice Kingdom Hearts.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tequila Bob posted:

FM1 is underwhelming but functional. It mostly plays just like it did back on the Super Famicom, but with better graphics and camera work.

FM2 has the worst English translation Square-Enix (or Square or Enix) has ever released. I cannot recommend it. I keep hearing rumors about this game getting a newer translation, though.

square enix did not do the translation for front mission 2. they also did not release the front mission 2 remake. they did not finance or involve themselves in any aspect of its creation.

it's also not really possible to "fix" front mission 2's translation because the most infamous part, the poorly written online stuff, is just... like that. like front mission 2 just always had that stuff written in english. it is not possible to fix without maybe rewriting it with the aid of a front mission loremaster.

I said come in! posted:

I suggest we sacrifice Kingdom Hearts.

sure thing, internet man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if they want to do more with octopath they probably will do it cause both octopath games have sold well and gotten good reviews. octopath is a low budget franchise that is worth investing in. it will not cost them 140 million us dollars

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It’s a functional remake of an Ancient Front Mission game. It’s fine, it’s just dated and the remake visuals are kinda ugly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Human Revolution had a good groundwork with some dire rear end problematic elements to make a good sequel which didn't happen but did give us Deus Ex Go which while the weakest of the Go Trilogy was still pretty good so it was worth it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also has a mobile game which appears at least moderately successful.

Honestly if I had to guess what significant things are likely to get backburnered:
Tri-Ace stuff (Star Ocean, Valkyrie, etc) are probably close to the cutting block if not on it. At very least I expect them to go smaller like the remake rather than another big console one.
Dragon Quest isn't going anywhere but I think they may be more selective with stuff like Treasure/Infinite Strash/etc
I feel like stuff like Harvestella or Diofield is probably going to fall into a grey zone where it's low budget enough to have a chance but I imagine it's a slim one. More proven successes like Octopath or even Triangle Strategy are probably at least somewhat safe.

Honestly the biggest takeaway from this is probably that Tri-Ace is going to have a rough time considering they were already hemorrhaging money before Divine Force came out and it looks like they were barely involved with the SO2R.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 30, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most cowardly thing about human revolution was them leaning into the yellow filter by making a joke of having yellow paint cans littering the world to imply everyone painted the world yellow. but then they just removed the yellow filter later. so now there's a bunch of yellow paint cans for no reason!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't speak for the original, but all the party members in 3 Reload work on both a story and mechanical level. They all stand out in combat and they all get narrative spotlight provided you engage with their social hangouts. Looking back, I realise how nasty the crew from 4 could get. Namely the bully and the homophobe. I don't question SEES's hiring standards by putting a ten year old orphan in the field, since they already let a dog and a robot join.

I definitely wouldnt play without a general guide since there so many events flags that would trip you up. Like a quest-giver asking for a potato that takes two weeks to grow. Or the girl who goes missing in Tartarus two days before the deadline. I can't fathom the sort of person who'd replay these games.

Moon Kid still awful.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 30, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
who are the two separate characters being referred to as the bully and the homophobe here

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I’m just confused by the mention of event flags and then referencing to optional side quests that have no bearing on social links or the plot and are very easy to handle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

who are the two separate characters being referred to as the bully and the homophobe here

Maybe they mean Chie? I've seen people refer to her as a bully relatively often.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
pls bully me Chie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tequila Bob posted:

I wanna say FM2 released a patch to at least fix all the typos in the tooltips. Didn't stick around to verify that though

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

GateOfD posted:

pls bully me Chie

ImpAtom posted:

... she's 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics x Unicorn Overlord will save SE.

That's just a remake of Ogre Battle 64. Which, obviously, will save Square Enix.