Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ran a trio of bug missions on 7 post-patch: TCS shutdown, eliminate swarm, and destroy eggs.

laser dog still works, just not as well as before. kills warriors surprisingly fast, but hunters/mini-hunters could overwhelm it more easily. definitely had to whip out the redeemer more than usual. the egg mission was a hunter bonanza though and i still walked out of there with 500+ kills when everyone else averaged about 250.

eruptor's AoE and max clip nerfs are rough especially with the queso's longer cooldown. i'm looking at the adjudicator for more sustainable swarm clear & spewer bursting instead. it was my first choice when the warbond dropped, but eruptor was the perfect middle ground between marksman rifle and grenade launcher.

or maybe go sickle/dagger/queso/laser dog no ammo no limits baybee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

See people keep saying that the laser weapons have no ammo limits, but the actual infinite ammo guns are the electric ones. Where's my electric pistol and electric grenade to go along with my electric shotgun and electric machine gun and electric tower

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Devs posted on reddit that Eruptor shrapnel was causing 1 hit KOs on the operator so they're removing shrapnel and buffing the hit damage to compensate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1cguou0/update_from_ahgs_on_ricochets_and_shrapnel_changes/ posted:

Hey, everyone!

The teams have been hard at work testing a number of community issues today, mainly focused on the changes to ricochets and shrapnel. In response to a previous front page post we looked into the possibility of rockets and other explosives being affected by ricochets. This has since been debunked by the community, but nonetheless, our Ministry of Defense team also ran a number of tests today and confirmed that rockets and explosives are not ricocheting.

However, we have noticed another issue through these posts and community feedback that has identified the possibility for shots from the R-36 Eruptor to explode and rebound shrapnel at the shooter, which has a high enough damage value to instantly kill the player. To prevent this, we're looking to completely remove the shrapnel effect from the Eruptor but will be increasing its hit damage as a result. This should make it less lethal to the operator but just as powerful against enemies. It should maintain its destructive power, and as it is still classed as explosive, it will not lose the ability to break objects, close holes, destroy fabricators, etc. This will, overall, be a buff to the weapon as shrapnel played an almost negligible part in the damage and power it dealt. Its AOE will be unaffected.

Currently, with the systems in place, only small arms should be able to ricochet on armor. If you see an explosive VFX at the point of impact, the projectile is not causing a ricochet, as explosion effects are not triggered when a ricochet occurs. Shrapnel, however, can still explode outwards from the point of impact and kill the player.

We apologize for this misunderstanding and thank you all for investigating these new changes so diligently, and for passing on your feedback to us. Hopefully this makes sense and these changes should help everyone survive better!

That probably explains the random" super shots" from the Eruptor. Like I'd occasionally fire it into a Charger's rear end and it'd pop it in one shot without any other damage, it must have been the shrapnel all hitting it or something. They say it won't impact the AoE on the weapon but I'm kinda worried it will. That's probably why you could fire into a dropships and wipe out everything in there, I doubt the actual explosion radius is that big.

Oh well, I really like the CS now so I've been bringing that with the autocannon on bots, which will probably be my main loadout going forward. I'll keep using the Eruptor for bugs, and the buffed impact damage will hopefully make it even better for brood commanders and spewers.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Friends don't let friends equip the Dagger

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Friends don't let friends equip the Dagger

It's actually pretty darn good if you can hit headshots. Since a lot of players only pull their primary when bugs are in their face and wacking them, it's not a good choice for them.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I saw people saying ballistic shield plus dagger is actually pretty good vs bots, you can just shield up and do headshots all day. I have not tried myself.

Guess I'll find out after I grab cutting edge...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So do you think the developers have like a special testing environment setup that is somehow different from the actual game we are all playing, or did they really play test the thermite grenade and go "yep, this is what it should do: absolutely loving nothing"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

See people keep saying that the laser weapons have no ammo limits, but the actual infinite ammo guns are the electric ones. Where's my electric pistol and electric grenade to go along with my electric shotgun and electric machine gun and electric tower

amen, id love an electric pistol

now that the blitzer has been buffed, i hope arrowhead takes a closer look at arc damage in general. it still feels really inconsistent. A big part of that is that corpses and bushes will completely block the shot, which feels really bad. My biggest want is for the arc to blow up enemy corpses to clear them out, and for it to ignite bushes cause thatd look cool and be useful. i also want it to do extra damage to enemies in water cause its silly that it doesnt currently

i know that the arc is on the list of known issues, but im also a bit worried that if they address these issues, they will also nerf the arc thrower to compensate since its so powerful despite the issues

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LazyMaybe posted:

No, they're not ricochets/deflections. They're the yellow shrapnel projectiles eruptor shots release in all directions when they explode.
It's done that the whole time it's been in the game, the only thing that changed is that now the shrapnel can damage the person who fired the eruptor shot. Before they would only impact enemies and teammates.

The devs just a bit ago put out an announcement confirming that it's not ricochets, but instead shrapnel from the shot. As a result they're going to remove the eruptor's shrapnel(so it won't sometimes kill you with bad rng) and boost its explosive AoE to compensate.
Just to be perfectly clear here-
https://i.imgur.com/wwWqNVf.mp4

-these yellow-orange lines that shoot out of Eruptor shots are shrapnel. The shot isn't deflecting off armor or terrain, it's exploding into projectiles that scatter around it. This happens even if you shoot it out into a totally open area and it hits nothing, detonating after reaching its range limit.
They're soon to be removed, but as long as they're around, these are not cosmetic, they do damage.

NmareBfly posted:

I saw people saying ballistic shield plus dagger is actually pretty good vs bots, you can just shield up and do headshots all day. I have not tried myself.

Guess I'll find out after I grab cutting edge...
The last time people said this, it was hardline copium, considering that you could do the same with any other onehanded weapon and kill those enemies significantly faster.
It might be more true now, but it's still competing with the senator which now has a much faster reload when empty.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Slyphic posted:

That's not really a terrain or weapon problem, that's the new hosed up ricochet mechanic. Devs thought it would be LOL to take one-in-a-million ricochets directly back at your face from your own gun and make them 1-in-1000 and also instantly fatal.

two steps forward, one step back
Even if we were entertaining the idea that the devs made ricochets always bounce back at you (they not), the bomblet landed directly at my feet, killing me with the explosion directly.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

So do you think the developers have like a special testing environment setup that is somehow different from the actual game we are all playing, or did they really play test the thermite grenade and go "yep, this is what it should do: absolutely loving nothing"

Well it seems to be that the issue has to do with network connections and not the local client, so it's probably difficult to reproduce in their testing environment

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Watching some people use the grenade trick, don't see too many people doing this lately.

https://i.imgur.com/xq8E3Qg.mp4

LazyMaybe posted:

:rolleye:

Right after reading this, I went and did 2 helldive blitzes with randoms back to back, using sickle as my primary .
Slightly different stratagem loadouts between them for variety, but both took grenade launcher, my beloved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLQajk3Q6VM

HSO made essentially practical difference whatsoever. Someone else took it the first time but we had very few deaths, and no one took it the second time which didn't hold us back at all.
Not that it would have made any difference to my build, particularly the sickle, because I did not die and did not reload the sickle a single time across both these missions.
Nonetheless, we completed all secondary objectives without issue.

So I still no clue what you're talking about when you say you need any amount of heatsinks on the sickle for... whatever difficulty, and absolutely no clue why sickle's heatsinks being reduced would "force" HSO.
I get the impression you are leaning too heavily on your primary(instead of strats/support) to clear enemies and/or are clearing enemies when you don't actually need to, and so are overestimating the volume of primary fire you need to be putting out.

I also would much rather have taken eruptor/breaker/dominator on either of these missions, and consider sickle well below any of those in terms of effectiveness vs bugs.

I thought I already mentioned my loadout but I will again, I have a poor mans grenade launcher (the pistol) and the sickle. Without a secondary you lean very heavily on the sickle. I don't shoot anything not in-between me and the objectives on blitzes. The sickle without a secondary loadout especially sucks when going against those stalker nests (or double nests) that spit out 8 stalkers at mission start. Apart from that specific situation the loadout works on basically everything, falls over a bit on warrior patrols if you're caught off guard.

Regarding HSO, the stims alone are worth it. Random SOS lottery games puts me in lovely situations quite often, with team mates who are not helpful so those stims are essential to stabilize the situation and get the win. I still think its a must take to every mission. Probably especially so when your team mates are lower level, and those stims could prevent them from dying which in turn keeps them on the objectives (hopefully :sigh:)

I bring these stratagems to bugs

Looking at your linked youtube video (cool channel content btw), game one was an uneventful game with teammates setting off alarms for you to just do objectives in peace, game two slightly more messy but nothing too crazy, you handled it well. Your loadout worked for what you were facing there, having a secondary is kind of nice in those situations. I wonder how you would deal with a breach yourself or multiple titans, probably run and despawn?

When the current orders are gone, I recommend playing on Omicron for bugs. It's got the trifecta of atmospheric spores, complex stratagem planning, and night time nearly always when I played there the past week. Frequently has 2-3 stalker nests for added pizazz.

LazyMaybe posted:

Only just learned that when looking at equipment you can view stats under "career". Relevant because I saw someone who had over 600 melee kills while I have less than 30 lol

You have to really go for melee kills. I have 92 but I honestly seem like I fight them in melee often. I don't recommend fist fighting hive guards, they chicken out and call a breach when they are losing the melee fight.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 30, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't know why people think the Knight is bad, it's literally just a redeemer but with bigger+more magazines because it's a primary.
Which is to say-it has remarkably similar close range DPS to the Breaker(aka, over 1000), but is some better for tapping things at medium range

peacemaker is still worse than redeemer but it's not actively bad

Bad is a relative thing - if something is wildly outclassed it's bad even if it's not unusable garbage.

The knight is bad because having 40% better DPM than a Redeemer isn't particularly valuable in a primary when you can just take a Redeemer and a different primary that does something different or better.

It frankly doesn't have enough DPM or spare mags for its ROF, doesn't do enough damage to feel worth using on semi auto and has just enough recoil to be annoyingly imprecise if you're firing in short bursts.

The Peacemaker has no case where you wouldn't be better off had you brought the Senator or the Redeemer.

It needs like 100 damage to be an actual viable middle ground.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

These issues are all one of the reasons I run 50% explosion resist armor. You can survive a whole lot more accidental explosion stuff instead of just being dead.

I have survived silly stuff, mainly my allies being a little too danger close with strategems, but bot missiles weren't even a problem before they were adjusted.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Insert name here posted:

^^^gently caress I literally took seconds too long to post lol

Also everyone is talking about the Senator but no one has mentioned the biggest buff it got. More damage? Meh. Speed-loader? No one cares about speed-loaders. No, the biggest buff is what happens when you hold down reload for long enough now:
https://i.imgur.com/DgkaFlY.mp4
I guess I'm switching to the pistol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Risky Bisquick posted:

I wonder how you would deal with a breach yourself or multiple titans, probably run and despawn?
That or spend strats on them depending on what I brought. Usually multiple titans(well, more than 2) are the result of not managing them and letting them accumulate, but even when you get multiple you can still easily kite them with shield preventing their slow. Maybe I lose them on terrain, maybe there's a hellbomb PoI to use, maybe I kite them towards teammates for them to spend their stuff on them as well.

For the record, I'm not saying that using sickle with reloads is bad. But I do think the idea that you need 3+ sickle reloads to get these missions done effectively doesn't make sense, especially when you only wind up in that sort of playstyle when you're running a secondary that you essentially can't use against normal bugs.
The only time I would equip HSO is if stamina booster, vitality booster and muscle enhancement are all already selected. Even then, I'd likely select the radar boost first. So in practice I never equip it and it's only selected when someone else picks it.

Infidelicious posted:

Bad is a relative thing - if something is wildly outclassed it's bad even if it's not unusable garbage.

The knight is bad because having 40% better DPM than a Redeemer isn't particularly valuable in a primary when you can just take a Redeemer and a different primary that does something different or better.

It frankly doesn't have enough DPM or spare mags for its ROF, doesn't do enough damage to feel worth using on semi auto and has just enough recoil to be annoyingly imprecise if you're firing in short bursts.
I don't agree that the knight is wildly outclassed. It has less damage per mag than the breaker, but the breaker has a lot more lost damage due to the pellet spread and overkill vs some enemy types that shrinks the gap quite a bit. And it's more effective against hunters that are a bit further out than breaker needing to fire +1 shot to kill them.

It's true that you can take a redeemer and then something that fills a different niche for your primary... but also you could take knight+redeemer and essentially have 2 redeemers, which is kinda sick. Is it optimal? No. But it's far from actually bad.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 30, 2024

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Infidelicious posted:

The Peacemaker has no case where you wouldn't be better off had you brought the Senator or the Redeemer.

It needs like 100 damage to be an actual viable middle ground.
I really want to like the knight but "annoyingly imprecise when firing in bursts" is definitely one of the main reasons I keep switching away from it. Also does it still only get back 5/7 mags back per resupply? It's one of the few primaries where I frequently exaust the majority of my ammo and not even getting a full refill when grabbing supplies is the worst.

Also as a Peacemaker stan I don't even think I notice the damage change lol.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

tbh I wouldnt be surprised if Knight was forgotten by the devs, regarding that ammo issue

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 30, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Holy poo poo. Meridia is gone.

:aaaaa:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Doctor Zero posted:

Holy poo poo. Meridia is gone.

:aaaaa:

Yeah, anyone have a screenshot of what it looked like before? cause that is an interesting look it has now

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I really want to like the knight but "annoyingly imprecise when firing in bursts" is definitely one of the main reasons I keep switching away from it.

I sort of like using the Knight in burst fire mode but my main reason I stopped using it was the lack of flashlight. Some maps have *really* dark shadows, particularly those gray moonscape maps.

Just earlier I fell into mysterious hole on one of the TCS maps because I couldn't see poo poo and none of my guns had a flashlight on them.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

TaurusTorus posted:

Yeah, anyone have a screenshot of what it looked like before? cause that is an interesting look it has now

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

Isn't thermite fire, and doesn't fire only do damage on the host's machine, AND doesn't the actual host swap around each drop, regardless of who is 'hosting' on their ship?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

redreader posted:

Isn't thermite fire, and doesn't fire only do damage on the host's machine, AND doesn't the actual host swap around each drop, regardless of who is 'hosting' on their ship?
Thermite nades still suck when you're playing solo right after rebooting the game.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

an ugly planet. a bug planet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did we finally nuke a planet from orbit?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The airburst rocket, in addition to having what feels like an incredibly long reload time, also has a nice bug where you get far enough through the animation for it to end and for you to have a shell visibly in the launcher, but still counts as empty and unable to fire. It also does absolutely nothing to Bile Spewers unless you use it as direct fire, which sucks when the bug missions keep serving the Nothing But Spewers seed.

I'm starting to get pretty disillusioned with the bugs, degradation of performance, and poo poo like the spear still being broken. It's hard to be excited for new stuff when you know it's probably going to be broken when it comes out, or nefed/fundamentally altered shortly thereafter.

And fire weapons still don't work.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The airburst rocket, in addition to having what feels like an incredibly long reload time, also has a nice bug where you get far enough through the animation for it to end and for you to have a shell visibly in the launcher, but still counts as empty and unable to fire.

I'm starting to get pretty disillusioned with the bugs, degradation of performance, and poo poo like the spear still being broken. It's hard to be excited for new stuff when you know it's probably going to be broken when it comes out, or nefed/fundamentally altered shortly thereafter.

yeah they really should have pumped the brakes on the warbonds. they can't fix basic stuff and keep shoving more on top of it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah they really should have pumped the brakes on the warbonds. they can't fix basic stuff and keep shoving more on top of it

But that's not what we voted for! And this game is all about democracy!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's likely that they physically can't. Things like a release schedule, especially for a monetized game, are likely baked in as milestones in their contract.

Also this is pretty much how the first game worked too.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Fighting an unnecessary war caused by your own actions with broken weapons and gear is extremely on brand for Super America Earth imo

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

you don't go to war with the helldivers you want, you go to war with the helldivers you have

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The Osprey Pelican should also have a 10% chance to crash and kill the occupants on the way home as well

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The loss of splash on the crossbow is dire, I could fire it directly between a hunter's front claws and it would hardly even scratch it, and it still doesn't have enough pen for hard-head bugs whose name I don't remember and brood commanders

But on the plus side, it did stagger devastators and blow off their legs in 2 shots in the 20 second test I did before I finished playing for today

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

WoodrowSkillson posted:

And yet, when they polled players on whether they wanted the most, the #1 result was "more mission types and planets" rather than technical fixes.
Joe McAverage videogame player wants endless novelty and nothing else regardless of contexxt. (Of course the devs should slow down regardless, but still.)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I am fuckin hyped for the Senator changes. Thank you Arrowhead :unsmith:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

redreader posted:

Fire DOT only does damage for the network host, AKA the player who currently has the fastest connection in the squad. This can and does change mid game with no warning.

If you want to use thermite grenades, just have the best connection, skill issue /s

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

And yet, when they polled players on whether they wanted the most, the #1 result was "more mission types and planets" rather than technical fixes.
Joe McAverage videogame player wants endless novelty and nothing else regardless of contexxt. (Of course the devs should slow down regardless, but still.)

I agree they should probably ease off adding new weapons... and start adding some sort of modification system ala Deep Rock Galactic. My theory is that is what the bank of terminals opposite the loadout terminals will be for. Or have there been hints its something else?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

From everything they've mentioned about this it's not as easy of a fix as other things. Sounds more like they need to dig into the netcoding to fix it and that could get a bit messier than "remove shrapnel, make bigger boom" type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Lobok posted:

But that's not what we voted for! And this game is all about democracy!

Where and when was this vote?