Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Blockhouse posted:

Pistols are the least supported ranged weapon type

It basically goes:

Commando
Heavy Guns
Rifleman
Shotgun

a huge gap

Gunslinger

Even Shotgun is pretty much held up entirely by the Cold Shoulder being amazing and the Gauss Shotgun being okay because every other weapon in that class is rear end

see this is wrong, because you didn't even remember to mention SMG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been using a level 50 The Fixer that I rolled some decent leggys on and with a focus on VATS, I can't double tap the dome of any humanoid and almost always kill them.
Even with a +50% bonus to robots, they are still a huge pain in the rear end. If I'm patient and take out their inhibitor it's fine but that almost never happens.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
If the game offers to pack your CAMP into a blueprint for any reason, always decline.
I've never been able to use that to restore a camp, the ground is way too uneven everywhere.
Hop servers if you really need your main camp active.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I keep thinking "this would be a nice place for a camp" and then I look to the horizon and see other places that might also be good. Rationally I know it is easy to move my camp but i must find The Right Place to build it. Hardest part of the game.

I've run into some other folks' camps that blend perfectly into the world, tho. Very cool designs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

good reason to buy more camp slots :hmmyes:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
ugh servers are down

how about you fucken post the schedule and maybe also post when you're back up :argh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

status monitor site
https://status.bethesda.net/en

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I keep thinking "this would be a nice place for a camp" and then I look to the horizon and see other places that might also be good. Rationally I know it is easy to move my camp but i must find The Right Place to build it. Hardest part of the game.

I've run into some other folks' camps that blend perfectly into the world, tho. Very cool designs.

I refuse believe there’s any flat spaces outside of the golf course

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I place my camps in the East (because that's the area with no convenient Free Fast Travel places) on resource nodes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What is the weapon or whatever that sounds like a steam whistle?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: F76 oh they're deploying a patch, no wonder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wklm8RcM2iE

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Kaddish posted:

What is the weapon or whatever that sounds like a steam whistle?

the railway rifle? I'm honestly not sure about the sound you mean but I've got bad ears

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the railway rifle frequently tweets a steam whistle.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Cool, thanks. I keep hearing it during events and just wondered what it was.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Multiple Camp ideas:
  • Setup camps in all 4 corners of the map for instant, easy and cheap fast travel spots
  • Setup one of your camps without any vendors. If someone buys you out causing you to reach max caps, you can quickly change to a different CAMP preventing anyone else from buying your stuff
  • Setup a farm camp. Crops are budget intensive (they use the same budget as most light sources) so I choose not to put any at my main camps. I recommend Aaronholt Farmstead in the far northeast as it has plenty of space, plant rows are there for you to use, and it is right next to 10 Cranberry plants, perfect for you Cranberry Relish lovers.
  • One of your camps should be on a stream or lake for super-fast dirty water. You get water literally as fast as you can click the button, rather than waiting 28 seconds to get 1 water from a well. Remember to boil!
  • Certain very popular events occur every couple weeks/months (Fasnacht, Mothman Equinox, Meat Week) and have static locations - these make GREAT high-traffic spots for your vendor, but space can come at a premium - you may need to hop servers to find one with that spot free.
  • Need more caps? Consider a vendor close to a Train Station - these areas see a ton of traffic and even the laziest players will walk 30 feet to your vendor to see what you've got.
  • If you're new, do the Free Shelter quest, available probably as soon as you leave the vault. Shelters are their own interior spaces, separate from your Camps. You can place the shelter entrance at all your Camps, and it will be the same exact shelter at all of them, containing all your placed items or workbenches or whatever. These make great expeditionary Camps - move Camps, quickly toss down your Shelter, and done! You've got a fast free home-away-from-home.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Otacon posted:

[*] If you're new, do the Free Shelter quest, available probably as soon as you leave the vault. Shelters are their own interior spaces, separate from your Camps. You can place the shelter entrance at all your Camps, and it will be the same exact shelter at all of them, containing all your placed items or workbenches or whatever. These make great expeditionary Camps - move Camps, quickly toss down your Shelter, and done! You've got a fast free home-away-from-home.
[/list]

drat, thank you for this. I did the shelter tutorial but I swear they never actually tell you how to access your own shelter. That sounds like a really good idea.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is there a standard backpack in the atom shop and I was missing it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Otacon posted:

Multiple Camp ideas:
  • Setup camps in all 4 corners of the map for instant, easy and cheap fast travel spots
  • Setup one of your camps without any vendors. If someone buys you out causing you to reach max caps, you can quickly change to a different CAMP preventing anyone else from buying your stuff
  • Setup a farm camp. Crops are budget intensive (they use the same budget as most light sources) so I choose not to put any at my main camps. I recommend Aaronholt Farmstead in the far northeast as it has plenty of space, plant rows are there for you to use, and it is right next to 10 Cranberry plants, perfect for you Cranberry Relish lovers.
  • One of your camps should be on a stream or lake for super-fast dirty water. You get water literally as fast as you can click the button, rather than waiting 28 seconds to get 1 water from a well. Remember to boil!
  • Certain very popular events occur every couple weeks/months (Fasnacht, Mothman Equinox, Meat Week) and have static locations - these make GREAT high-traffic spots for your vendor, but space can come at a premium - you may need to hop servers to find one with that spot free.
  • Need more caps? Consider a vendor close to a Train Station - these areas see a ton of traffic and even the laziest players will walk 30 feet to your vendor to see what you've got.
  • If you're new, do the Free Shelter quest, available probably as soon as you leave the vault. Shelters are their own interior spaces, separate from your Camps. You can place the shelter entrance at all your Camps, and it will be the same exact shelter at all of them, containing all your placed items or workbenches or whatever. These make great expeditionary Camps - move Camps, quickly toss down your Shelter, and done! You've got a fast free home-away-from-home.

Good advice. What should I actually try to sell? So far I don't really have anything other than some overflow plans and legendary weapons.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sell common ammo for 1 cap/round.
Higher level players are beyond maxed on caps and will happily pay for the convenience.

I hunt recipes a lot and the dupes tend to sell well, along with apparel that's not super common.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Sell common ammo for 1 cap/round.
Higher level players are beyond maxed on caps and will happily pay for the convenience.

I hunt recipes a lot and the dupes tend to sell well, along with apparel that's not super common.

Is there a good rule of thumb on how to price the recipes/plans/apparel?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it viable to do a build with 8 black powder pistols assigned to different hotkeys, and quickly swap between them all? I think it'd be funny to play as Blackbeard.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

explosivo posted:

drat, thank you for this. I did the shelter tutorial but I swear they never actually tell you how to access your own shelter. That sounds like a really good idea.

Welcome! As a note, 99% of players won't ever bother checking your shelter. I don't recommend putting Vendors only inside of a shelter. You'll miss out on sales.

Kaddish posted:

Is there a standard backpack in the atom shop and I was missing it?

You should get a Small Backpack plan for free very shortly after leaving the vault. I believe it's at Gillman Lumber Mill directly south of Vault 76. The only Atom shop items for these will be skins, installable on any sized backpack

Megazver posted:

Good advice. What should I actually try to sell? So far I don't really have anything other than some overflow plans and legendary weapons.

This tends to be tricky for newer players as they don't have a lot to sell that others will want!

Plans sell well to newer players - common plans are typically priced under 100 caps. Keep in mind plans are NOT weightless. If you've been tossing learned plans into your Stash you might be surprised how much weight they all take. I'm less concerned with getting an extra 50 caps than I am with getting those plans out of my stash.

Be warned, some plans are hilariously rare and expensive and the game does not call this out. I'd recommend checking an external website - maybe you won't need to price it exactly like the website says, but use it as a guide for "wait, this is actually valuable?!" https://fed76.info/plans/?class=

Ammo (as touched on) will sell for 1cap each - specifically .45, 5.56, plasma carts and explosives. Hardly anyone ever bought .38, .308, .44 or 5mm from me. The .45 rounds sell out almost as soon as I list them.

Chems - commons like Stimpacks, Radaway etc will sell for ~5caps each, lessso at higher prices. I've been selling Berry Mentats at 100 caps each - there might be 20-30 shoppers passing over them before someone will buy them all at once. Similar results with Nuke Key Cards at 100 caps.

Armor - I don't bother listing armor, the only things that sell are Overeaters or Unyielding rolls. Power Armor is too heavy for me to bother stashing and listing. It all gets scripped unless it's a god roll.

Weapons very much so follow the current meta / flavor of the month. Even badly rolled Fixers will get purchased for a few hundred caps, and some weapons are literally so rare and sought-after that they get traded in other items valued at multiple (even hundreds) of times the 40k cap limit. You can get an idea of valuable weapons/rolls from this external site, however please note some of these prices are wayyyyyyyy out of wack and again you should use these prices as a way to gauge "whoa wait, how expensive is this weapon?!?" https://fed76.info/pricing/

Chamale posted:

Is it viable to do a build with 8 black powder pistols assigned to different hotkeys, and quickly swap between them all? I think it'd be funny to play as Blackbeard.

Yes! Paging Cix to this thread. Cix, you are needed in this thread.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ok, so the only way to get a standard backpack is that tadpole quest.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Ok, so the only way to get a standard backpack is that tadpole quest.

Yes, correct. The small backpack maxes out at +30lbs on a level 50 backpack. The standard backpack maxes out at +60lbs on a level 50 backpack.

I just completed the tadpole quest on my second character after level 500. I believe I went with Athletics / Cooking / Medic and was able to knock out all 3 badges in one afternoon.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah, I’m just in the mode of wanting to play the game/finish quests. I’ll concentrate on it eventually.

Cold Shoulder is a game changer by the way.

Some of these camps I’ve seen are just insane. Dozens of hours of work.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the well thing is something I'm not too clear on but can do. it's that you press the one button and tap the other one a lot and you get enough to boil up 10. or just grab that water boiler off the newest scoreboard and never well again

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

the paradigm shift posted:

the well thing is something I'm not too clear on but can do. it's that you press the one button and tap the other one a lot and you get enough to boil up 10. or just grab that water boiler off the newest scoreboard and never well again

Water boiler is amazing and I love it and am so happy it made it into the game. Definitely saves me some time cookin' up the goodies.

The Water Pump/Water Well/Decorative Pond/Rustic Sink/Clean Sink/Junkyard Fountain CAMP items are all complete trash for collecting dirty water - they're decoration pieces only, in my mind. The unskippable animations lasting 5-10 seconds to give you 1 single dirty water. It's just a waste of time. Instead I could go to the nearest river, lean over and tap X a hundred times in 20 seconds and come out with 100 dirty water.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

FO76 PC Steam. Load a fixes n whatnot

quote:

PC (Steam): 12.1 GB

BUG FIXES
Fixed an issue that caused Power Armor to be listed in English instead of the correct localized language
Fixed an issue where the Garrahan Mining Poster was not present at the Rusty Pick or Camden Park
Opportunity Knocking: Fixed an issue which could cause the quest to disappear after relogging.
Deep Space Alien Jetpack is now properly craftable for T51 Power Armor
Sins of the Father: Fixed an issue which would block the quest if a dialogue scene between Abbie and Antonio was exited during a specific part of the conversation.
Fixed an issue where the Cremator was not listed at Legendary Exchange Machines
Fixed an issue where the player could ask Abbie Russo a question about Vin that did not properly reflect the final outcomes of Sins of the Father.
Players who previously unlocked them should now be able to craft the Poker & BlackJack Tables
Sins of the Father: Fixed an issue which could prevent Antonio from speaking to the player.
Brahmin Flour Billboards should now be craftable and have the right materials
Rustic Helvetian Camp Kit has had the expected walls and windows added to it.
The Favorites menu hotkeys are now usable while the wheel is visible.
Fixed an issue where gold bullion vendors Regs and Smiley were not enabled for some players who completed Secrets Revealed.
Tesla Rifles will now drop correctly from the Battle Bot Event
Father Winter Helmet should now have T-45 standard Stats, Description, Weight, and Levels should be standardized now.
Fancy Revolver should now properly display its unique fancy skin
Fixed an issue where Small Presents were not dropping contextual ammo
Fixed weather stations not being able to be placed in a camp workshop located very close to a public workshop.
Fixed modern home kitchen sink not being able to snap to other modern home items on a foundation
Secrets Revealed: Fixed an issue where Meg, Gail, Ra-Ra, Johnny, and Lou could be missing from the Crater Core after the completion of the quest.
Lights now function properly on the Devils Wings Jetpack
Pollinators no longer receive the Group Heal Regeneration effect in Daily Ops
Fixed several paints that were no longer updating the dynamic name of modified Power Armor pieces.
Speculative fix for items in the Cryo-freezer randomly selling for 0 caps in the vendor.
Big Boss Advertisement Poster no longer turns into a Mothman poster when broken.
Fire Rate now shows increase/decrease arrows when comparing potential mods to what players have currently equipped.
Story Time now properly removes itself from the PipBoy if you kill Miss Nanny.
Fixed an issue with Buried Treasure not properly completing.
Players are no longer blocked from completing Honor Bound if they exit the conversation with Vin and Gene.
Scrolling the mouse-wheel down now properly shrinks selected body parts in the character generator.

QUALITY OF LIFE UPDATES
Added a Max option when buying from and selling to NPCs
World Activity list now sorts alphabetically
Improved behavior of the inventory scrollbar
Added a new “Ammo Per Shot” stat entry to weapons

WEAPONS
Made several adjustments to the Cremator and its mods.
Dev Note: The Cremator released with a bug that made it stronger than we intended it to be due to the way damage was calculated with its explosion. Players who had certain perks and mods on it did much higher damage than intended. We’ve fixed that bug, which has decreased the damage for that specific setup, but we made multiple tweaks and changes to buff it in different ways. Now, the Damage Over Time (DoT) should be a force to be reckoned with.

SEASONAL EVENTS
Recipes and some items dropped by these events will continue to drop after you have learned them. These items are now also tradeable to help you get all the plans you want!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1151340/view/4169846298223192275?l=english

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm a new player and nervous about Expeditions. I don't want to join one and watch everyone rush about while I have no clue what's going on. Same with Daily Ops.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ops are pretty basic. You do some stuff, kill waves, do stuff again, more waves.
The challenge is doing it as fast as you can, which is a real pain if enemy spawns refuse to cooperate.

They don't take long, thankfully.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah ops are great fun, unless it involves the crazed cultists (insane spawn rate and they're super dangerous) or mandatory melee strike to finish enemies off (gently caress that)
Expeditions are a lot more advanced, and if you're not familiar with one from the get go you're right, the others will hate you a bit :smith:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm no big city game developer or anything, but looking at the player numbers spike in every fallout game after the TV show I'm imagining the alternate timeline where instead of developing starfield for 8 years and getting panned they spent 9 years developing a fallout5 and release it a week after the show comes out and how well that might of done, instead of a very buggy patch to fallout4.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 30, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is there anything I can do about the absurd load times in FO4 (PC)? I'm usually pretty lenient about this sort of jank but 90+ seconds to load into the overworld is not acceptable.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Is there anything I can do about the absurd load times in FO4 (PC)? I'm usually pretty lenient about this sort of jank but 90+ seconds to load into the overworld is not acceptable.

Fallout 4 load accelerator

Load times are tied to frame rate. This uncaps it while loading and improves speed by like, many times

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any backpack you see in the shop is a cosmetic item that makes your backpack look different. You can not buy a backpack from the Atom shop and skip the appropriate quests in the game. The tadpole quests aren't bad but the Possum badge ones suck, so instead I just did the dailies which have a random chance of giving you a possum badge as a reward.

The well sucks as a source of dirty water. Any puddle/river/whatever is fine and you can click the button fast to load up quickly.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I saw a sick-rear end camp that was powered by a waterwheel. I cannot find any mention of this item anywhere on the internet but I assume it’s an atom shop thing? It was cool. I want one.

Also shoutout to the devs for giving away pride flags for free. Love to be limping through the wasteland desperate for shelter when I stumble across a giant fortress bristling with turrets and a huge trans pride flag outside.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Fallout 4 load accelerator

Load times are tied to frame rate. This uncaps it while loading and improves speed by like, many times

Lmao I would have never guessed this is why.

But this mod worked so thanks a ton!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Also shoutout to the devs for giving away pride flags for free. Love to be limping through the wasteland desperate for shelter when I stumble across a giant fortress bristling with turrets and a huge trans pride flag outside.

It's good to see how many people rock pride pfps and flags. If we're gonna play our dumb and gay broken games we'll drat well do it as a community!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I heart emoji'd someone's trans pride flag and they gave me a railway rifle with so much recoil I can't reasonably use it. loving love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How's come I haven't seen the Eviction Notice event since I've started playing? (a week or so)