Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Paladinus posted:

No, it's actual Finnish social housing. Every flat also has a sauna. Not a joke.

Finland must be an awesome snd happy land with happy people. good for them :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Paladinus posted:

No, it's actual Finnish social housing. Every flat also has a sauna. Not a joke.

we should all move there

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ArmedZombie posted:

we should all move there

If America can't handle 1% of the world's population moving there what chance does poor little Finland?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

notaspy posted:

If America can't handle 1% of the world's population moving there what chance does poor little Finland?

Finland will have to get more racist

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

finland has taco bell with an english language menu so many americans wouldn't notice much of a difference

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Apr 30, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mawarannahr posted:

wish my apartment was this nice

Same, it rocks how you can pay out the rear end for a shoebox and not even get a fume hood or backsplash

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1785306768626655350

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

separating the top, good half of the uk from the bottom bad half

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

when ur ex can't get over u

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

I should get a patch making machine

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My "Thin Blue Pride" flag is selling way below expectations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

January 6 Survivor posted:

I should get a patch making machine

DMZ flag

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the thin juche line

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Salt Fish posted:

My "Thin Blue Pride" flag is selling way below expectations.

i was going to make a joke about how the leather and bdsm subculture obviously already has a pride flag of their own and holy poo poo is it eerily close to the othet bootlicker flag:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Eat This Glob posted:

i was going to make a joke about how the leather and bdsm subculture obviously already has a pride flag of their own and holy poo poo is it eerily close to the othet bootlicker flag:

To be fair I'm pretty sure they were using the flag before the cops started using theirs.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

tokin opposition posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure they were using the flag before the cops started using theirs.

100%

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

stolen valor...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

tokin opposition posted:

yeah, according to wikipedia, the pride flag was in use since the early 90s. i don't remember the fash flag being a thing until the mid aughts when cops and family would put a very small reflective sticker on their cars to let pigs know they were also "on the job" or related to someone who was. then the non-cool bootlickers jumped on board not long after

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mawarannahr posted:

wish my apartment was this nice
if it’s any consolation, the average niceness of your apartment plus your landlord’s house is probably close!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/eyuplovely/status/1785413291797291021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Why wouldn't you click a goatse link?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

given that the Sovereign is dying from rotten asspipe at the moment, this is an issue that has never been more relevant.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

the eggs are wet on the way out too

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

america will MAID the homeless and other undesirables before we do anything even resembling this. we charge money for rehab lol failed state

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

union jackboot

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Consolidated Ed posted:

america will MAID the homeless and other undesirables before we do anything even resembling this. we charge money for rehab lol failed state

many american cities are following a housing first model at this very moment in time actually

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

many american cities are following a housing first model at this very moment in time actually

Citation needed

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

first you get housing then maybe you get some basic human rights

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

until the state government passes a law forbidding it

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

lobster shirt posted:

Definitely housing first as long as you mean incarceration

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well perhaps many is an overstatement but they did it here in houston and the number of homeless people has fallen pretty dramatically. they get them into housing and intense work with social services. seems good. here's an article https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/14/headway/houston-homeless-people.html

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

there's been small programs in Chicago but there was a camp under the highway by my place for years and my alderman and a bunch of organizations got all of the people who lived there in stable housing. it's seemed to work really well so far

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Seattle is too woke to house the homeless

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

well perhaps many is an overstatement but they did it here in houston and the number of homeless people has fallen pretty dramatically. they get them into housing and intense work with social services. seems good. here's an article https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/14/headway/houston-homeless-people.html

I don’t have the energy to circumvent the paywall but ime these types of programs are usually heavily gate kept and limited in scope and serve to reinforce the line between “down on his luck deserves a hand up” and “unredeemable human trash”

A housing first model makes housing available to anyone seeking it, without preconditions like sobriety or steady employment or anything else since I didn’t see the article maybe that’s actually what Houston is doing, but I have my doubts

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

America is also 400 million people spread over most of a continent. I'm pretty sure you can find a couple examples of anything if you look hard enough

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

tokin opposition posted:

Seattle is too woke to house the homeless

now now, we definitely take their makeshift homes and toss them in the garbage.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t have the energy to circumvent the paywall but ime these types of programs are usually heavily gate kept and limited in scope and serve to reinforce the line between “down on his luck deserves a hand up” and “unredeemable human trash”

A housing first model makes housing available to anyone seeking it, without preconditions like sobriety or steady employment or anything else since I didn’t see the article maybe that’s actually what Houston is doing, but I have my doubts

yes that is literally what they do

quote:

For more than a month, Ms. Rausch and her colleagues had been coordinating with Harris County officials, as well as with the mayor’s office and local landlords. They had visited the encampment and talked to people living there, so that now, as tents were being dismantled, the occupants could move directly into one-bedroom apartments, some for a year, others for longer. In other words, the people living in the encampment would not be consigned to homeless shelters, cited for trespassing or scattered to the winds, but, rather, given a home.

[...]

Ten years ago, homeless veterans, one of the categories that the federal government tracks, waited 720 days and had to navigate 76 bureaucratic steps to get from the street into permanent housing with support from social service counselors. Today, a streamlined process means the wait for housing is 32 days.

Houston has gotten this far by teaming with county agencies and persuading scores of local service providers, corporations and charitable nonprofits — organizations that often bicker and compete with one another — to row in unison. Together, they’ve gone all in on “housing first,” a practice, supported by decades of research, that moves the most vulnerable people straight from the streets into apartments, not into shelters, and without first requiring them to wean themselves off drugs or complete a 12-step program or find God or a job.

it has reduced the number of homeless by more than half, helping 25000 people get housing, help, and work.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

yes that is literally what they do

it has reduced the number of homeless by more than half, helping 25000 people get housing, help, and work.

That’s awesome then and exactly the kind of thing we need a lot more of, which if you can do it in Houston it’s pathetic you can’t on the west coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That’s awesome then and exactly the kind of thing we need a lot more of, which if you can do it in Houston it’s pathetic you can’t on the west coast

in San Francisco you've got tech bros opening calling to "cleanse" San Francisco. maybe it's the culture.