Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah but like, I am not usually a high winrate player, and I cannot become one by the time this set is done being drafted without dropping $100s on drafts and coaching. So knowing that dimir isn't actually bad is kinda irrelevant.

Like, what do all the pros know that nobody else knows? All the blue cards look kinda bad, are they only going dimir when they open busted poo poo like siphon insight? Or is it like mostly black removal and the crow with a couple blue splashes? Going by the delta with lower skilled players, just going for it doesn't work.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think Rush of Dread might get banned

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

Like, what do all the pros know that nobody else knows?

1. the top limited players right now are mostly just guys who play well, not pros or even people on the PT since the path there is mostly via constructed. there is a path to getting better and it is looking at what good players do. in this format, its grinding out card advantage. Wei posted about it before - you dont need rares, you need crimes, recursion, and card draw. all of which are available at uncommon and common

2. draft lands in the first couple of picks every pack and spec pick lands early instead of taking, like, some r/w "bomb". if you take lots of lands you can rove for actual gamebreaking cards

3. get really greedy with a plan and play towards it

4. those cards have a high winrate because they are good cards put into good decks, not because these players have a magical ability. i see people in here putting aggro creatures in their control decks and vice versa. siphon insight isnt magically good because sam black is casting it - hes drafting it and saying "ok my plan is to two for one my opponent until they are hellbent" and then he drafts that way. he also actively voices things like "im ok chumping here to hold onto life because my deck has such a good top end." knowing what your gameplan is and playing towards it is just fundamental magic but watching replays in here, it needs to be said more.

4.1 the blue commons you think are bad are really good. take the fall is mostly a 1 mana 2 for 1. the counter is great. etc. they let you play at instant speed in a very sorcery speed environment and punish the poo poo out of combat

in short, do this

This deck is BUG splashing red for rakdos, and white for that single mystical tether. the green is solely for fixing (and that one outcaster). Im playing the blue draw three, villanous ealth, siphon insight, and a couple recurison spells. I just squared off against a bonny paul on turn 4 and they were never in it. Im 6-0 and i go through 30+ cards every game if they dont concede. every

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's definitely homework adjacent but i can't second the recommendation harder of just finding a good player who talks through their choices both in drafting and in gameplay and trying to learn from them. i don't personally watch any limited grinders but i do watch benjamin wheeler (champion of multiple singleton formats with an incredibly good head for strategy in games that he's even just been briefly introduced to) & just getting a different perspective adds a lot

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my dumb bad player rear end has basically been forcing gx in every otj limited format and I have a 60% winrate overall in otj on arena according to 17 lands

however, I've also been playing magic for five years almost straight, and I've been drafting each standard set to completion since human drafts became available. in the beginning I did a lot of research, watching pro streamers, listening to podcasts, reviewing my draft logs and those of others (covid was great for this). tons of hours of not touching grass nor developing career skills, and, yes, an embarrassing amount of money sunk into drafting in a ftp system that is 100% rigged against new players. I've been currency neutral since dmu. I barely remember the light of day. look on my works, ye mighty, and despair

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Time posted:

Cool post

Hey these have been insightful and fun posts you've been doing here. Dropping some appreciation for it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Drafting Archetypes: UR in OTG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESrWH1-JKG8

The Big Picture
“Hard to draft, hard to play, underpowered…. But it is pretty fun to draft and play.”

The contradiction: Sam argues that the best winrate cards in these colors are the worst in the archetype, while the worst winrate cards are actually the best in the archetype, because people are not drafting synergies. If you draft UR, you need to have faith that you will find enough synergy stuff; lean into the plan. You will need to fight against taking 17Lands GIHWR at face value. If you don’t open some green or white bomb, and you’re getting passed key UR uncommons, it’s probably better to make that work rather than trying to be third in line and getting the filler commons in “the good color”.

Sam’s key philosophy: He won’t take good percentage green commons early, because someone who opens a green rare bomb will cut those green commons later. He also thinks those commons aren’t that much better than the commons in other colors and their numbers are propped up by bombs in green decks, so trying to build around an early Cactarantula or Throw from the Saddle is foolish even if those raw stats are better than red’s commons.

Make sure you don’t spend too much mana not impacting the battlefield and just spinning your wheels cantripping. You need to avoid having too little impact on the board which will let big Greens walk over you. You need to avoid ceding card advantage to UB decks with Intimidation Campaign and discard.

You are focusing on evasive and repeatable noncombat damage from Razzle-Dazzler and Iron-Fist Pulverizer, and also fliers. Compared to a broader Grixis archetype which just gets incidental damage from doing stuff, you need to focus on specific engines. “You need to play a scrappier game.”

Key Cards
Kraum, Violent Cacophony / Slick Sequence / Hypothesizzle / Metamorphic Blast / Nimble Brigand / Plan the Heist / Slickshot Lockpicker / Repulse / Scorching Shot / Brimstone Roundup

Approaches
Sorcery Speed: Doublespell focus and plot cards, primarily. Avoid counterspells like Phantom Interference. Highway Robbery is extremely important, as well as Take the Fall and Plan the Heist…maybe Seize the Secrets. The engine is having damage that gets enabled by doublespells, and the best enablers allow you to chain through your deck. If you see a lot of the key cards going late in the first pack, consider moving in. For this archetype to be good, you need to rely on the uncommons because the commons are extreme filler. Cheap removal and bounce spells are necessary to deal with bigger creatures. You need “high velocity” in terms of drawing.

Tapped lands hurt your deck velocity. Most of your stuff doesn’t care about crimes (except for Nimble Brigand). This limits your splashing and you should stick to pure UR. There is crime anti-synergy since you are encouraged to play one crime trigger on your turn and one on your opponent’s turn, but doublespell payoffs don’t like that.

Redrock Sentinel is a decent defender and card draw. Bandit’s Haul’s fixing is less relevant in these colors but the card draw payoff is potentially usable.

Variant: Instant Speed: Overlaps with the UW archetype, but the blue cards there can be combined with red’s instant-speed removal. Geyser Drake and Emergent Haunting.

Variant Splashes: Grixis was discussed last week. Temur splashing green is feasible because of green’s ability to do so and enables more plotting. Jeskai is a more committal overlap with UW. You will probably know if this is happening early; you cannot pivot late into a splash because you shouldn’t be taking deserts early in UR. If you open Bonny Pall P3P1 you’re “obviously going to take it and make it work” though.

Gameplay
Pace your spellcasting to cast two spells a turn, even if you could cast a third spell. If you can only cast one spell but could doublespell the next turn, consider waiting. Obviously if you would die otherwise, do what you can to survive.

Sequence your spells so you don’t make unforced errors with cards like Thunder Salvo or Loan Shark: to get both bonus effects, you need to Full Control cast Loan Shark and then cast your Thunder Salvo on your target in response to the Loan Shark on the stack.

Mercenaries from Brimstone Roundup and other sources will help pump your fliers/evasive creatures, and will make Take the Fall better (bump outlaws higher if you have a bunch of Take the Falls). Sequencing: if you have Brimstone Roundup and Highway Robbery in your starting hand, for example, don’t cast Roundup on 2 even though it’s “mana efficient”; consider plotting Highway Robbery on turn 2, and then cast Roundup + plotcast Robbery turn 3.

The creatures on the board usually don’t matter unless they’re key advantage engines. The other bodies that are just P/T after they enter the battlefield, you want to trade them off to stay in the game. You want to avoid chumping, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ngl it feels extremely bad to find the rakdos lane, get passed the actual rakdos, and get eaten alive 1-3 without ever seeing him lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ex post facho posted:

Why? Had to look it up since I hadn't run into the combo and from the outside seems like the reanimation combo is easier to pull off?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Khanstant posted:

Why? Had to look it up since I hadn't run into the combo and from the outside seems like the reanimation combo is easier to pull off?

The "combo" is "have a particular creature on the board and cast the spell". How do you figure a combo that you need to build your deck around is "easier"?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Idk if it'll get banned but it does make for pretty high variance games. Bloodletter was already nearly playable, any deck that was thinking about it anyway can add a copy or two of Rush of Dread (also not a completely dead card!) and high roll some games.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
in the long run it'll probably be an issue that there are two solidly playable monoblack cards that win you the game instantly together, yeah. i don't think they'll ban it any time soon though

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Dimir crimes is both a fun draft archetype as well as a fun deck to play in standard Bo1. A lot of aggro decks just fold to a rather specific 1-mana discard card I found from Crimson vow that discards a card worth 2 or less mana and can be cast for three mana instead to take out any non-land card. Its funny how good the card feels against all the mono-red, boros etc. while still being useful in slower match ups.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Feels like Reach, Vigilance, Menace have all never been more useful. Lifelink too, lifelink is doing huge swings over the course of a game for me. Used Back For More on a simple rooftop assassin during an attack phase, then used a skullduggery to up his p/t, kill a 1/1, fight a 2/2, then blocks and trades with an X/3, lifelinking for 6.... that's a big swing that people couldn't expect from black in previous sets. I've had Prairie Dogs have won games on their own against aggro-ish decks. I like that the sets are differentiated in limited feel (super different feeling than ONE, which was different than Strixhaven, etc.) - it adds to the verisimilitude that the players are Planeswalkers(TM), and show up to harness magic without a full understanding of the plane. Love to justify that 1994 Magic the Gathering: Arena book energy in the year of our lord 2024.

Someone in the thread said one of the lead designers of Outlaws also did Kaldheim, March of the Machines, and one or two others I liked. I am just going to buy a big box of whatever the next set that designer does, like 3 months ahead of time. They are bangers for my limited environment, for sure.

A metaphorical box because I only play on Arena.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There are a lot of bombs in this limited format and it has happened sometimes that I've just gotten run over by one. But most of the games I've played have had some really difficult decisions to make, and most games I've lost I can look back and see the choice I made that lost it for me. I've also had a number of games where I played to my outs or set up a line a couple turns ahead and won where my opponent probably thought they had the game completely locked up. Some WOE and LCI drafts I could trophy almost on autopilot. This set games often hinge on a single play with no obvious right answer, just weighing up possibilities and trying to guess what your opponent might have. I've gone 0-3 or 2-3 with what I considered to be insane bombs in my deck to playing badly, and am currently 5-2 in a league with what I considered a pretty underpowered dimir deck with some good synergy and some tricky lines.

It seems to me like a difficult but rewarding draft environment. I definitely can't just crank out a bunch of back to back leagues, in fact I've often found myself playing a couple of games and then coming back the next day for a couple more because thinking so much is tiring!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

There are a lot of bombs in this limited format and it has happened sometimes that I've just gotten run over by one. But most of the games I've played have had some really difficult decisions to make, and most games I've lost I can look back and see the choice I made that lost it for me. I've also had a number of games where I played to my outs or set up a line a couple turns ahead and won where my opponent probably thought they had the game completely locked up. Some WOE and LCI drafts I could trophy almost on autopilot. This set games often hinge on a single play with no obvious right answer, just weighing up possibilities and trying to guess what your opponent might have. I've gone 0-3 or 2-3 with what I considered to be insane bombs in my deck to playing badly, and am currently 5-2 in a league with what I considered a pretty underpowered dimir deck with some good synergy and some tricky lines.

It seems to me like a difficult but rewarding draft environment. I definitely can't just crank out a bunch of back to back leagues, in fact I've often found myself playing a couple of games and then coming back the next day for a couple more because thinking so much is tiring!

Yeah, this was my experience too in the initial drafts I did. It made me stop drafting though because the cost structure is super unforgiving for learning a set like this, especially once you rank up the premier drafts. You've got to either really go for it and get good or just wait for a more forgiving set for less dedicated players (I'm enjoying standard instead, it's fun!)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I found MKM games to be extremely difficult to navigate, with a lot of these "oh I lost the game then" decisions a few turns prior. Maybe I haven't played OTJ enough yet, but it doesn't feel as punishing. It might also be that it simply fits my playstyle more - as I mentioned, in my last QD I had a bunch of games where I won because I held onto removal for dear life. I've gotten good at that way earlier, so now I know how to pick my targets.

Generally it's a good idea to only play at the top of your game. I'm only getting a draft or two a week in despite probably having more resources (I mean, depends on how the increased frequency would go), but my life is a bit stressful rn so I'm only playing when I'm feeling relaxed and just don't when I'm thinking about other stuff. I can only second the poster above who mentioned taking a break after having big thinks on a game by game basis, too. Clear your mind. It'll help you play so much better the next game.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just had a draft where two games wete lost just because the shuffler was absolutely commited to giving me lands for several turns in a row

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

@Time or any other timeless freaks: after two weeks, what are the big adds to the format from otj and the otj-adjacent bonus sheet cards? I saw surgical and reanimate mentioned, I figured force of vigor might have factored in there somewhere as well

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Abrupt Decay is nice tech for Omnitell. Pest Control is probably playable somewhere?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

The "combo" is "have a particular creature on the board and cast the spell". How do you figure a combo that you need to build your deck around is "easier"?

Fair enough, can just slap 8 cards in any old black deck and get the combo. But I haven't seen it yet but have seen a bunch of Reanimator and I played Reanimator and it felt like cheating it was so easy.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jabor posted:

Abrupt Decay

I need to go back through and update my brawl lists, drat how did I miss this?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ex post facho posted:

Is it that useful outside of the combo? It's flexible, that much is certain - but the combo deck is pretty easily interrupted by removal or interaction, it's not particularly quick, and seems vulnerable to a fairly wide range of other decks. It was known prior to the PT that just happened, and nobody in the Top 8 there played it. RoD doesn't seem overrepresented in other decks (like Fable was). Am I missing something?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It feels bad to lose to but I don’t think it’s that crazy. It costs a lot of mana and removal beats it cleanly.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I almost cut it from my draft deck but I'm glad I kept it -- turns out making them lose 10 life, then next turn dropping a 5/5 flying/trample does a good job at turning games around.

Went 7-1 with that deck. Some of it was because of open lanes, but I do think a lot of it was because of being very focused during deck building (I cut some mighty tempting stuff that I would've needed to splash for and even with two dual lands that was the right call) and more of it was thanks to focusing on the advice from the recent discussions.

Not only did I make the right choices when holding off on some things and plan for the future (use this removal because the other one could get hypothetical that guy -- good feeling when hypothetical that guy shows up), but I could actively feel my opponents making some of the board state mistakes we'd talked about.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
OK the tear this one up. I definitely played it better (e.g. match 1 would have been a loss if I'd stuck to my standard instinct and used Ashes early insteaad of push through the winning damage) but I lost to Oko Thief of fuckin Crowns, enemy Fractured Identity on my Akul 3 for 1ing my best or second best creature (or at least, it would have been 3 for 1 if it weren't for the fact that I would have died regardless of whether I removed anything), and never drawing land 4. The matches I won were fun, the matches I lost fuckin sucked.

I don't think I misplayed heavily at any point I just got dicked by 2 bombs and mana screw. Such fun.

https://www.17lands.com/details/c9563efd0662441ebc05f27a59d78139

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

I almost cut it from my draft deck but I'm glad I kept it -- turns out making them lose 10 life, then next turn dropping a 5/5 flying/trample does a good job at turning games around.

Went 7-1 with that deck. Some of it was because of open lanes, but I do think a lot of it was because of being very focused during deck building (I cut some mighty tempting stuff that I would've needed to splash for and even with two dual lands that was the right call) and more of it was thanks to focusing on the advice from the recent discussions.

Not only did I make the right choices when holding off on some things and plan for the future (use this removal because the other one could get hypothetical that guy -- good feeling when hypothetical that guy shows up), but I could actively feel my opponents making some of the board state mistakes we'd talked about.

got the 17lands draft logs link?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it that useful outside of the combo? It's flexible, that much is certain - but the combo deck is pretty easily interrupted by removal or interaction, it's not particularly quick, and seems vulnerable to a fairly wide range of other decks. It was known prior to the PT that just happened, and nobody in the Top 8 there played it. RoD doesn't seem overrepresented in other decks (like Fable was). Am I missing something?

Nope, I think those are all solid points. I just don't think many people are expecting it. I've had multiple games where I can t3 Bloodletter, t4 Rush and hit them for 18. I'll post a list sometime

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

thespaceinvader posted:

The matches I won were fun, the matches I lost fuckin sucked.

Should be the thread title for every multiplayer game thread in Games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Time posted:

draft rundown

Do you have an example of this with a more normal deck? I'm not sure I've even seen Villainous Wealth one time.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 30, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sloppy posted:

Should be the thread title for every multiplayer game thread in Games.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

thespaceinvader posted:

OK the tear this one up. I definitely played it better (e.g. match 1 would have been a loss if I'd stuck to my standard instinct and used Ashes early insteaad of push through the winning damage) but I lost to Oko Thief of fuckin Crowns, enemy Fractured Identity on my Akul 3 for 1ing my best or second best creature (or at least, it would have been 3 for 1 if it weren't for the fact that I would have died regardless of whether I removed anything), and never drawing land 4. The matches I won were fun, the matches I lost fuckin sucked.

I don't think I misplayed heavily at any point I just got dicked by 2 bombs and mana screw. Such fun.

Havent looked at the games yet but the draft was a mess - back for more is better than akul by a lot, badlands revival is better than gila by a lot but I would have sniped the u/g land here with the back for more already. then you could have taken the intimidation campaign pick 6 and been locked in for a really sick sultai deck. you locked in on rakdos based on the strength of a truly medium rare. the uncommons you passed were all much better and a better deck, with all the fixing you could need.

go through pack three and look at all the sultai stuff you passed. fresstrider land guy, tyrants scorn, siphon insight. that was a seriously juiced deck you didnt take because you locked in on the worst color pair

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Justin_Brett posted:

Do you have an example of this with a more normal deck? I'm not sure I've even seen Villainous Wealth one time.

villanous wealth isnt necessary for it just spec pick lands and value cards with an eye to putting cardboard on the board to trade resources early. removal is premium, recursion is premium, lots of multicolored lands are premium. then spec pick off color or on color bombs you can fix for with stuff like gardener, bandits haul, and the mana dork that taps for anything.

make bad trades early if necessary and then overpower with card advantage late.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kalel posted:

got the 17lands draft logs link?

Alas, I'm strange about refusing to sign up for things.

Though if it's something you actively want to look through and it's something 17lands could provide retroactively I could probably do the needful.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

thespaceinvader posted:

I'll check out the draft for now
P1P1: I don't think the Sword is very good, and the stats agree. That said, the pack is pretty bad. I think both Frontier Seeker and Glamer have a better case - as the latter is removal, I'd take it. Unless you were mythic drafting which is fine ofc
P1P2: I have been very unimpressed with Akul. It's hard to cast and basically French vanilla. It puts you hard into Rakdos because you can't splash, and Rakdos is not a great place to be in anyway. My pick here is Back for More, it can be absolutely game-ending, you can splash it but also Golgari is great in this format
P1P3: Courser is pretty mid. I get why you want to stay in Rakdos now with your Akul, but even there I think Bloodseeker is simply better. I, of course, take Revival. Will stop talking about my deck now because it's just very different from yours
P1P4-6: Lands in mid packs are great picks, I approve

Rest of the pack: I guess you're in the right spot, it's possible that I'd have gone into a crimes lane here too, though ofc with me passing Akul, the Bloodseeker might not have tabled.

P2P3: Now here's a question - you took Coyote in the previous pack, and it's one of the best aggro options R has (it doesn't have that many!). Assassin isn't really an aggro card, tbf I don't quite know where it goes - it's a big awkward. Anyway, if you are planning to be aggressive and not a controlling crimes-style deck, then pick the second Coyote 100%!
P2P6: same
P2P7: Raredraft? You'll never play this. Treasure Dredger or Mine Raider OR Gardener (my pick order in a vacuum, though if you want to be aggro, take Raider) all allow you to splash anything R/B/x you open

P3P2: It appears you have decided on full Crime, that's fine. I can see that with the Skulduggeries. Can also help with the Roundups. In pure Rakdos, though, dunno. It's a bit narrow...honestly? Maybe the Mayor is a good spec pic to splash. You do have a lot of repeatable token makers
P3P4: don't know how good Show-Off is, in general and in this deck. You don't have that much to trigger it still. I honestly think Plunderer might be better.
P3P11: note that there's a potential token aggro payoff tabling (nobody would take Fury, but it's p good if you have the exact deck for it)

Deck-wise, I'd play every Bloodseeker - it's free Crime on a great body! Tinybones Joins Up is unplayable. I don't like Homestead at all here. That's about it you can do with your current pool. However, the deck doesn't really come together. You have some double-spell cards (Roundup, Pulverizer) but no real good ways to trigger them except to hope that you have two-drops in hand. You have a few Outlaw payoffs - Rakish Crew, At Knifepoint - but not actually that many of them. You have a few Crime things, but not really enough to keep triggering them.

There's absolutely a core of an engine that can come together here - At Knifepoint, Raven in play, you play Roundup and attack, Skulduggery to blow them out, make a dude, all cool. Still a lot of pieces to not really win the game. You're also not controlling well until your 4cmc fliers show up, and if they do, they can just be removed, that's why they are not that good overall.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Time posted:

villanous wealth isnt necessary for it just spec pick lands and value cards with an eye to putting cardboard on the board to trade resources early. removal is premium, recursion is premium, lots of multicolored lands are premium. then spec pick off color or on color bombs you can fix for with stuff like gardener, bandits haul, and the mana dork that taps for anything.

make bad trades early if necessary and then overpower with card advantage late.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/f76eea44df37437293d41db693e7cca7 so, like this?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

didn't look at the draft but

g1: should have used removal on arynx, you were behind on board and getting run over on the draw

g2: hosed by oko, dunno if you could have played around that or set up favorable combat in that scenario

g3: would have double blocked that gigapede after 0/1ing it anticipating a removal blowout. also equipping key to the 1/3 set you way back on tempo and prevented holding up 1 to get a guaranteed card with marchesa using shoot the sheriff

sometimes they have it and you can't do much but I think the misplays in 1 and 3 cost you dearly

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Simply Simon posted:

I'll check out the draft for now
P1P1: I don't think the Sword is very good, and the stats agree. That said, the pack is pretty bad. I think both Frontier Seeker and Glamer have a better case - as the latter is removal, I'd take it. Unless you were mythic drafting which is fine ofc
P1P2: I have been very unimpressed with Akul. It's hard to cast and basically French vanilla. It puts you hard into Rakdos because you can't splash, and Rakdos is not a great place to be in anyway. My pick here is Back for More, it can be absolutely game-ending, you can splash it but also Golgari is great in this format
P1P3: Courser is pretty mid. I get why you want to stay in Rakdos now with your Akul, but even there I think Bloodseeker is simply better. I, of course, take Revival. Will stop talking about my deck now because it's just very different from yours
P1P4-6: Lands in mid packs are great picks, I approve

Rest of the pack: I guess you're in the right spot, it's possible that I'd have gone into a crimes lane here too, though ofc with me passing Akul, the Bloodseeker might not have tabled.

P2P3: Now here's a question - you took Coyote in the previous pack, and it's one of the best aggro options R has (it doesn't have that many!). Assassin isn't really an aggro card, tbf I don't quite know where it goes - it's a big awkward. Anyway, if you are planning to be aggressive and not a controlling crimes-style deck, then pick the second Coyote 100%!
P2P6: same
P2P7: Raredraft? You'll never play this. Treasure Dredger or Mine Raider OR Gardener (my pick order in a vacuum, though if you want to be aggro, take Raider) all allow you to splash anything R/B/x you open

P3P2: It appears you have decided on full Crime, that's fine. I can see that with the Skulduggeries. Can also help with the Roundups. In pure Rakdos, though, dunno. It's a bit narrow...honestly? Maybe the Mayor is a good spec pic to splash. You do have a lot of repeatable token makers
P3P4: don't know how good Show-Off is, in general and in this deck. You don't have that much to trigger it still. I honestly think Plunderer might be better.
P3P11: note that there's a potential token aggro payoff tabling (nobody would take Fury, but it's p good if you have the exact deck for it)

Deck-wise, I'd play every Bloodseeker - it's free Crime on a great body! Tinybones Joins Up is unplayable. I don't like Homestead at all here. That's about it you can do with your current pool. However, the deck doesn't really come together. You have some double-spell cards (Roundup, Pulverizer) but no real good ways to trigger them except to hope that you have two-drops in hand. You have a few Outlaw payoffs - Rakish Crew, At Knifepoint - but not actually that many of them. You have a few Crime things, but not really enough to keep triggering them.

There's absolutely a core of an engine that can come together here - At Knifepoint, Raven in play, you play Roundup and attack, Skulduggery to blow them out, make a dude, all cool. Still a lot of pieces to not really win the game. You're also not controlling well until your 4cmc fliers show up, and if they do, they can just be removed, that's why they are not that good overall.

A couple of answers/questions: P1P1 I looked pretty hard at Glamer but the sword is useful enough that the mythic draft made sense to me at the time. Assassin P2P3 was because I felt super light on removal, and Coyote ain't that, but it was my next pick after Assassin. P2p7 Tinybones Joins Up is 1 mana for a crime it seems fine, especially with some of the double spell payoffs? But also partly a raredraft. What makes it unplayable? P3P4 was mostly the rest of the picks are mid and this gets me 20 gems because I already crafted the playset. I also had more doublespell than it looks like with the Plots.

I guess Akul was my big mistake but a 4 mana 5/5 flample is usually a pretty solid creature even if the other ability is basically unusable. The other thing that I did somehow miss though is that Stingerback doesn't have Haste like almost every big red dragon in almost every set usually does, and might have had me play differently in the games I did see it.

I also just kept coming up against people playing around Skullduggery effectively, which makes for a very annoying play pattern where I keep holding it to try to get the most out of it, when I could have just used it for a ping and drain and counter and kill a 1/1 but I hold it to try and get a kill out of it on something more useful - but the moment never quite comes because it's a pretty obvious card even when I'm covering up that I have it with an on-board mana sink.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

kalel posted:

didn't look at the draft but

g1: should have used removal on arynx, you were behind on board and getting run over on the draw

g2: hosed by oko, dunno if you could have played around that or set up favorable combat in that scenario

g3: would have double blocked that gigapede after 0/1ing it anticipating a removal blowout. also equipping key to the 1/3 set you way back on tempo and prevented holding up 1 to get a guaranteed card with marchesa using shoot the sheriff

sometimes they have it and you can't do much but I think the misplays in 1 and 3 cost you dearly

I also really could have just killed both his creatures in game 1 before going down to 1, that felt like the way bigger deal since I would have been fine after I got the ogre in play. Game 3 there I think I was imagining getting blown out worse than that somehow, I dunno.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this is close - I think the early interaction is mostly good but the greedy top end is not quite there.

p1p1 should have been the sphinx - it ends games quickly, can be very annoying to kill, and is evasive. nimble brigand is good but stoic sphinx is the closer you want in this deck.

p1p2 shoot the sherriff is great - I also look at marauding sphinx as a crime payoff, blocker, vigilance, and in the air is great. Shoot is probably the right pick, but a way to "steal" wins in this format is getting through in the air while removing the reach stuff. Another reason why marauder is insane and should never be passed (not that you did that just seen it happen a lot).

lots of judgement picks the rest of this pack that i dont fault except p1p6 slam pick that mesa. it lets you fix regardless of where the draft takes you. phantom interference is good but you can always scoop up one or two. fixing goes higher now and you want to guarantee you can rove for bombs.

p1p8 - mourners surprise is better than the enchantment removal. deadeye duelist would be my second pick but it isnt close imo. mourners surpise is a heater topdeck

p1p12 - rare judgement call this late in a pack but I think one highway robbery makes this deck if its grixis and the blue creature probably does not. its close here though and not super high value

p2p1 - I probably take primal command here and look towards sultai. second I look at deserts due. nimble is a good pickup I just think the other tow give you more of what you need.

p2p2 - if I have the mesa from before and I think im in green from the primal command, I start looking at throw from the saddle and buried in the garden if im feeling like I could go 5 color green (with power cards being UB). metamorphic blast is a good card though and will help your deck, but you dont have a lot of creatures you are putting in combat to really make it shine right now. Take it but also be mindful it requires more of a board presence to really make sing.

p2p3 - crime land even if you arent sultai, then bloodseeker and worm. honorable mention to the hound which someone in here called filler at one point but its a great common

p2p4 - it is interesting that at knifepoint pulls you into grixis when primal command didnt pull you into sultai. it is a good card in grixis, just not what would have been my pivot point. rooftop assassin is also good, but if I was sultai, that tumbleweed card is quite good as both fixing and an end the game threat. good job avoiding the newt, its rear end.

Rest of this pack is good drafting except take the removal over card draw pick 7

pack three pick 2 - im maybe looking at d sphere if we had picked up some of the green fixing talked about earlier and then im definitely running the buried in the garden too. no plains necessary probably. as is, this pack is an interesting case of payoffs you can get by being disciplined early and taking fixing.

rest of this pack is fine with you making picks based on the reality of the mana base you have. Overall this is a good effort, but I would have probably gone a few different ways. I think this was a relatively tough draft to navigate with getting pulled into a bunch of directions. hopefully this was helpful and not demoralizing! also keep in mind that while I have had success, there are far better draft ppl in this thread than me. I have just been the most active in posting this set. I would be curious for them to weigh in.