Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Retro42 posted:

From everything they've mentioned about this it's not as easy of a fix as other things. Sounds more like they need to dig into the netcoding to fix it and that could get a bit messier than "remove shrapnel, make bigger boom" type stuff.

Yes. And we're months out from release with more stuff being added with obvious problems that should have been caught. That's why I'm getting disillusioned. The game is becoming messier and buggier. Major elements have never worked, and the new stuff has bugs that should have been literally visible to a tester looking at their screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

redreader posted:

Where and when was this vote?

It was automatically taken care of for you via the algorithm. Liberty prevails once again!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It was automatically taken care of for you via the algorithm. Liberty prevails once again!

with Managed Democracy, It's Just That Easy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BitBasher posted:

It's likely that they physically can't. Things like a release schedule, especially for a monetized game, are likely baked in as milestones in their contract.

Also this is pretty much how the first game worked too.

They've said publicly several times that Sony has not baked any releases into their contract.

From their CEO:

quote:

"I appreciate your sentiment and post.

Let me add some context. Arrowhead is independently owned by people working at the studio and not swayed by shareholders in the traditional sense. Of course we are in a great partnership with Sony where we agree on targets to hit etc. But there isn't a forcing function or requirement per se.

We want to deliver the best in the industry and we are calibrating our efforts of fixing vs new stuff. It's easy to say "just fix, don't add", but the reality of the competitiveness in this industry is that we have to do both to stay relevant.

We are figuring it out, the demands and expectations on the studio is high, all eyes are on us, and we have a sole purpose - to make this the best live game you've ever played. We just need to find our stride and balance.

It's a hot topic at the studio, and I'm sorry for the sloppy mistakes we've made as of recent."

“Also, my intention was just to say that the games industry is a complicated beast. We need to stay relevant and keep everyone entertained while fixing stuff.

The expectations from our friends at PlayStation are pretty simple: “make great game for players. We trust you”

Nobody is forcing us. But at the same time, the pressure is real 🤔 😅 it’s very abstract.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1c6bbyd/comment/l01uq2c/?context=3

This seems entirely on the studio, who is afraid that if they turn off the content firehose people will immediately forget about them. This isn't true.

They've admitted they can't work on new stuff and fix old stuff at the same time, it's the same people - so they need to make a choice. I too am starting to get tired of the constant busted crap.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 30, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
by the way they massively improved the senator first person sights over what they used to be

old (not great image):

new:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think it makes sense from a monetary perspective - they'll probably get the most sales while the game is hot and the player count is high. If the content hose gets turned off, people will just take a break and come back after a big content update. This game doesn't have a truly long upgrade grind like Warframe or the Tide games had at release, which I think is a good thing, but it seems like they're leaning on periodic boosters to keep the income flowing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

WarpedLichen posted:

I think it makes sense from a monetary perspective - they'll probably get the most sales while the game is hot and the player count is high. If the content hose gets turned off, people will just take a break and come back after a big content update. This game doesn't have a truly long upgrade grind like Warframe or the Tide games had at release, which I think is a good thing, but it seems like they're leaning on periodic boosters to keep the income flowing.

IMO its also about the super credit curve. if they delay warbond releases without adjusting prices than a large cohort of people will be able to afford to keep up on warbonds without paying $.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redreader posted:

Where and when was this vote?

Their Discord, back on the 15th:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Heh, all these Redditors bitching about the Eruptor killing them when it blows up in their face are gonna be real mad when they remove the shrapnel and it turns out that was the reason why it was able to clear bug holes and destroy bot fabs.

Also, part of the humor of the game is that you have these massively overpowered weapons but are running around in what are effectively t-shirts when it comes to armor, and said disparity leads to the law of unintended consequences in this kind of a team game.

I guess it's just a classic case of players don't actually know what it is that they want, but feel entitled to keep bitching at a fever pitch to "the manager" until you file away everything they dislike (even if it's detrimental to the overall health of the game) as the cursed monkey paw curls another finger inwards.

Maybe the devs should go for maximum humor - let people answer a questionnaire, but jumble up the results and pick an option for them. Just like voting for the President of Super Earth!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

poo poo is being worked on. adding more people to look into the DOT bug does not fix any faster

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

Heh, all these Redditors bitching about the Eruptor killing them when it blows up in their face are gonna be real mad when they remove the shrapnel and it turns out that was the reason why it was able to clear bug holes and destroy bot fabs.
they already said it wont affect that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

IMO its also about the super credit curve. if they delay warbond releases without adjusting prices than a large cohort of people will be able to afford to keep up on warbonds without paying $.

The game sold more than 8 million copies at approx 30 bucks each (after paying their cut to the stores). It's a 240 million dollar game, massive success. The idea that they can't slow down and fix bugs because they have to keep turning the money crank is false. They already got a huge amount of money, far more than they ever thought.

Also, they've reached the "doesn't pay real money for new warbonds" status with a ton of players. I spent 10 bucks on the first warbond. I've gotten all the others with free currency and have almost enough for the next almost 2 weeks early. I play around 8 hours a week tops and I don't grind. I can't imagine there's a significant number of players who are unlocking the premium warbonds with real money over and over but not playing enough to earn the next. My friends in this game are evenly split between "casual player, doesn't really do the premium warbonds at all, still has one or two unlocked from regular play" and "invested player, has them all, paid to unlock one either as a Super Citizen or with cash and then got the rest free".

Thirdly, it's just a fact that the Warbonds are diminishing returns. The 12th Warbond won't hit as hard as the 1st or 2nd or even the 5th. In addition to that natural decline, the excitement will be further eroded if the stuff frequently comes out busted and the average player has a huge amount of guntoys in their equipment box that they barely play. At some point these guns and armors are going to end up being permutations on existing weapons rather than truly interesting experiences (Arc Blitzer, or Eruptor, or whatever). Would probably be wise to just chill out and pay some technical debt an onboard some new people for a month, get the game on a stabler foundation.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Strong Sauce posted:

they already said it wont affect that.

How very depressing, then. This was a real opportunity to give them what they were baying for but take away a feature in exchange. Then again, we saw how well that worked out with the initial railgun nerfs when people wanted them to do something about it being the cornerstone of a first-order-optimal loadout.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played since the patch yet, is the spray on the Eruptor's shrapnel legit bugged or is it more of a "your fault for shooting this at close range, idiot" kind of thing?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LuiCypher posted:

How very depressing, then. This was a real opportunity to give them what they were baying for but take away a feature in exchange. Then again, we saw how well that worked out with the initial railgun nerfs when people wanted them to do something about it being the cornerstone of a first-order-optimal loadout.

development choices made for the sake of "spiting other community no better than mine that I think I'm superior to anyway" tend to be bad development choices

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

I haven't played since the patch yet, is the spray on the Eruptor's shrapnel legit bugged or is it more of a "your fault for shooting this at close range, idiot" kind of thing?

I used it all night and never had a piece of shrapnel instakill me. I did notice the blast now throws you in the appropriate direction but yeah maybe you just have to get exceptionally unlucky to get murdered by heat seeking shrapnel.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mordja posted:

Both, kinda. My understanding is that the patch fixed it so players can now be hit by their own projectiles, including ricochets and shrapnel, but the actual lethality of the Eruptor shrapnel on players was unintended and not revealed to the devs until people started getting killed by it. So they're removing the shrapnel projectiles from the explosion of the weapon and adding the average damage the shrapnel caused to the explosion and direct hit

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mordja posted:

It's not a bug (if anything it's a bug fix) but wasn't playtested at all, the range shrapnel can travel from the point of impact is significant and the shards do a shitload of damage. Prior to this patch you couldn't take damage from your own projectiles, only from explosions/fire.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i played a couple matches last night with eruptor.. didn't notice anything other than the same effects when you shoot too close to a bug. i might have died to it but could have just attributed it to .. THE BUGS!!!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The bugged explosions pulling players inward led to some funny moments. I am hoping they add a vacuum grenade or black hole gun at some point.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Glad to hear the erupter is bugged with shrapnel and it's gonna get fixed, a couple times where I shot a brood commander in the head 20 meters away and instakilled myself and thought there was something fishy going on.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Black hole gun won’t you come and wash away the rain

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Black Noise posted:

Black hole gun won’t you come and wash away the rain

:hmmyes:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Astroniomix posted:

It's not a bug (if anything it's a bug fix) but wasn't playtested at all, the range shrapnel can travel from the point of impact is significant and the shards do a shitload of damage. Prior to this patch you couldn't take damage from your own projectiles, only from explosions/fire.
You could, however, nail teammates even pre-patch. It only happened once ever, but I got one of those freak shrapnel sprays once and nailed a friend standing next to me despite my shot landing like, 20m+ away lol.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Insert name here posted:

You could, however, nail teammates even pre-patch. It only happened once ever, but I got one of those freak shrapnel sprays once and nailed a friend standing next to me despite my shot landing like, 20m+ away lol.

This happened to me for the first time last night. Someone fired the Eruptor at a bile titan and an errant bit of shrapnel headshot me from about 20 meters from the explosion.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Would explain how I domed myself closing a bug hole last night 🤔

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

SkyeAuroline posted:

development choices made for the sake of "spiting other community no better than mine that I think I'm superior to anyway" tend to be bad development choices

There's a subtle, nuanced difference between "spiting the community" and "staying true to your intended/artistic vision for how things work in the game", but I keep forgetting that nuance is lost on people in this day and age, doubly so on the internet.

It is totally fair to do something about the shrapnel having the unintended effect of insta-gibbing players when it hits them. I'm guessing that the insta-gib is the consequence of the shrapnel having no damage falloff over range and hitting a player's head, which up until recently meant that 0 armor was being applied (and even then armor is now only getting applied to your head if your armor rating is greater than 100 anyways - most players are running light/medium armor), so that meant lots of insta-gibs.

But if the shrapnel was the reason why the Eruptor was able to close bug holes/destroy bot fabs, then that feature should be removed along with the shrap (and there is some actual logic as to why this feature should be attached to shrapnel - it's a lot deadlier in an enclosed space like a bug hole/bot fab). On the same token, if the Eruptor was meant to be able to close holes/destroy fabs regardless then said feature should be kept.

Either way, I still think it's a bit OP for a primary to have the ability to close holes/destroy fabs even post-nerf, and I always thought this was an unintended consequence of the shrapnel effect.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LuiCypher posted:

There's a subtle, nuanced difference between "spiting the community" and "staying true to your intended/artistic vision for how things work in the game", but I keep forgetting that nuance is lost on people in this day and age, doubly so on the internet.

It is totally fair to do something about the shrapnel having the unintended effect of insta-gibbing players when it hits them. I'm guessing that the insta-gib is the consequence of the shrapnel having no damage falloff over range and hitting a player's head, which up until recently meant that 0 armor was being applied (and even then armor is now only getting applied to your head if your armor rating is greater than 100 anyways - most players are running light/medium armor), so that meant lots of insta-gibs.

But if the shrapnel was the reason why the Eruptor was able to close bug holes/destroy bot fabs, then that feature should be removed along with the shrap (and there is some actual logic as to why this feature should be attached to shrapnel - it's a lot deadlier in an enclosed space like a bug hole/bot fab). On the same token, if the Eruptor was meant to be able to close holes/destroy fabs regardless then said feature should be kept.

Either way, I still think it's a bit OP for a primary to have the ability to close holes/destroy fabs even post-nerf, and I always thought this was an unintended consequence of the shrapnel effect.

The shrapnel isn't why the Eruptor can close bug holes and is intended, your premise was wrong

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

LuiCypher posted:

The ability to close holes was literally part of the video introducing the gun for the war bond. It's not an accidental anything.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LuiCypher posted:

if this was at all your argument you didn't have to couch it in "what a depressing missed opportunity to take away something people like in the process of fixing a bug"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah you just sound weirdly bitter about it for some reason...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also the whole "it's their artistic vision" is rapidly losing credibility with the amount of obviously failed design goals that they keep dribbling out (one patch massively buffs the Dominator, next patch mildly nerfs it...doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me. The entire state and functionality of the Marksman rifles on release was extremely grim. The gas/fire host bug. The Airburst Rocket Launcher's initial state. the EXO-Mech's "rocket fix" that made it functionally worse. etc.) Entirely possible to have an artistic vision without the skill to actually achieve it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
black hole grenade is a must, i'd be surprised if they didn't do it. suck up all those nasty bugs and compress them into an easily harvested bug nugget.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

black hole grenade is a must, i'd be surprised if they didn't do it. suck up all those nasty bugs and compress them into an easily harvested bug nugget.

"Turns out the black hole grenades destabilized space-time and now Fenrir III has been consumed by a rapidly expanding black hole"

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game sold more than 8 million copies at approx 30 bucks each (after paying their cut to the stores). It's a 240 million dollar game, massive success. The idea that they can't slow down and fix bugs because they have to keep turning the money crank is false. They already got a huge amount of money, far more than they ever thought. .... Would probably be wise to just chill out and pay some technical debt an onboard some new people for a month, get the game on a stabler foundation.

Onboarding people to help on a code that effectively no one else knows and they have to teach is a significant challenge that money doesn't fully address. It's absolutely something Arrowhead has to address and soon, because I feel like they might be a handful of Warbonds away from something technically gamebreaking as bad as the whole full server thing when the game first came out. Cycling back a Warbond for technical fixes would be bad.

Also the whole "it's their artistic vision" is rapidly losing credibility with the amount of obviously failed design goals that they keep dribbling out .. Entirely possible to have an artistic vision without the skill to actually achieve it.

This. Their CEO said they need to be able to produce new warbonds and fix bugs at the same time, but right now, they're really only doing the warbonds well. I'll be surprised if that Discord poll of "new planets plz" holds true by 3Q24 if the number of needed tech fixes doesn't shrink down significantly.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 30, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Onboarding people to help on a code that effectively no one else knows and they have to teach is a significant challenge that money doesn't fully address. It's absolutely something Arrowhead has to address and soon, because I feel like they might be a handful of Warbonds away from something technically gamebreaking as bad as the whole full server thing when the game first came out. Cycling back a Warbond for technical fixes would be bad.

you see to fix a programming bug all you need to do is put more people on it. put 5 people on the bug and it will be fixed 5 times faster! dang why didn't anyone figure this out before?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also the whole "it's their artistic vision" is rapidly losing credibility with the amount of obviously failed design goals that they keep dribbling out (one patch massively buffs the Dominator, next patch mildly nerfs it...doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me. The entire state and functionality of the Marksman rifles on release was extremely grim. The gas/fire host bug. The Airburst Rocket Launcher's initial state. the EXO-Mech's "rocket fix" that made it functionally worse. etc.) Entirely possible to have an artistic vision without the skill to actually achieve it.

Complaining about bugs is fine but 'Oh, we might have buffed this a little too much' is such a common occurrence in games that I cannot imagine even caring.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

maybe if they make a new mission it'll fix all the bugs too somehow :kiddo:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Arrowhead has already been hiring people. Perhaps their business acumen doesn't measure up to the titans of industry in this thread, but they can at least figure that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

remember when people here were convinced playing solo and playing with a full team didnt change how many enemies there were or was an insignificant increase? its pretty funny we found out there was not just a difference but a large difference