Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Biplane posted:

What the gently caress

They used to store meats in barrels. Salt, layer of meat, salt, layer of meat, salt, etc. They did this with beef, pork, cod etc.

“Pork barrel” as a political term comes from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They used to store meats in barrels. Salt, layer of meat, salt, layer of meat, salt, etc. They did this with beef, pork, cod etc.

“Pork barrel” as a political term comes from this.

No, what? I understand the concept of storing salted meats, my shock and disgust was more towards the fact my entire life I have been falsely led to believe corned beef contains corn, which I hate.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So from my googling, a 500g tin of Ox and Palm brand Jamaican corned beef goes for about $2 usd ish, so a million cans or 500 tons of canned salty meat street value. Wow fans.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Biplane posted:

No, what? I understand the concept of storing salted meats, my shock and disgust was more towards the fact my entire life I have been falsely led to believe corned beef contains corn, which I hate.

Then you should probably be warned about peameal.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Byzantine posted:

Are...are the oceans corned water?

It's more like solved water.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
It's also called salt beef, including in jamaica... the plot thickens...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I assumed it must have been some white collar crime involving some sort of a trading fraud, but no, they actually snatched $2 million worth of beef from a warehouse

http://jamaica.loopnews.com/content/men-booked-stealing-corned-beef-valued-2-million

But I suspect it's 2 million Jamaican dollars, which is much less sexy, as that would amount to paltry $13k USD

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Apr 30, 2024

craptown
Oct 7, 2001

Surprised they didn't discreetly transfer him to another server

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PainterofCrap posted:

I finally looked that up one day, because it bugged me. The salt used in preserving beef consists of large grains the size of corn kernels.

so basically: salt beef
Corn kernels are exceptionally large corns. Corn is named for being the primary cereal of America but I like to think European explorers were like "holy poo poo get a load of the size of that corn!"

A more normal corn is wheat or barley. The curing salt used for corned beef is probably more wheat corn sized. Corn sized salt corns would not mass transfer very well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lmao reading the small print they actually defrocked it. Not turned it off, you can still talk to him. He just doesn't pretend to be a priest anymore and is wearing normal clothes instead of a priest's collar.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

zedprime posted:

Lmao reading the small print they actually defrocked it. Not turned it off, you can still talk to him. He just doesn't pretend to be a priest anymore and is wearing normal clothes instead of a priest's collar.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
booting into dos mode to run defrock.exe

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He went from the face you see before being molested to the face you see before getting fired.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The defrocking blog post is fun

quote:

A Message from Christopher Check, President of Catholic Answers
“There are no bad things, only bad uses of things,” G.K. Chesterton reminds us. As a media apostolate, we feel very strongly about finding new ways to share the gospel—as our founder, Karl Keating, did many years ago when he started Catholic.com to put that wild new technology of the Internet to the service of Catholic truth.

Recently, my colleagues and I at Catholic Answers have received a good deal of helpful feedback concerning another new technology: our AI app, “Fr. Justin.” Prevalent among users’ comments is criticism of the representation of the AI character as a priest. We chose the character to convey a quality of knowledge and authority, and also as a sign of the respect that all of us at Catholic Answers hold for our clergy. Many people, however, have voiced concerns about this choice.

We hear these concerns; and we do not want the character to distract from the important purpose of the application, which is to provide sound answers to questions about the Catholic faith in an innovative way that makes good use of the benefits of “artificial intelligence.”

We have therefore decided to create, with all wary speed, a new lay character for the app. We hope to have this AI apologist up within a week or so. Until then, we have rendered “Fr. Justin” just “Justin.” We won’t say he’s been laicized, because he never was a real priest! He’ll be available to visitors to Catholic.com, thousands of whom have already used the app with great profit. Furthermore, with the help of user input, we will continue to refine and improve the app by identifying any deficiencies (we didn’t anticipate that someone might seek sacramental absolution from a computer graphic!), which we quickly correct.

I thank you for your prayers for Catholic Answers and for the good work of our staff.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gotta run that from an elevated command prompt there bishop

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lobok posted:

Not quite. The "corn" in corned beef is actually salt.

That's not what I meant and you know it :mad:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I thought corned beef because peppercorns were involved somehow but it looks like I’m a real fuckin rear end in a top hat now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

I finally looked that up one day, because it bugged me. The salt used in preserving beef consists of large grains the size of corn kernels.

so basically: salt beef

Yeah but what kind of corn? Millet is pretty small.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Civ 7 leader screen looking good

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your corn

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I hope the chatbot declares itself the anti-pope over this injustice

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It's not called milleted beef, now is it?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Biplane posted:

Not salt, which I love!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I thought corned beef because peppercorns were involved somehow but it looks like I’m a real fuckin rear end in a top hat now.

Same. gently caress I’m a piece of poo poo.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Cornish game hen? That’s just pigeon with smaller bits of salt

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Cornish game hens, much like salt and grain, originated in the British region known as Cornwall and over time spread out throughout the world until they became the ubiquitous commodities we all know and love today.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

Cornish game hen? That’s just pigeon with smaller bits of salt

This was extremely loving funny to me for some reason.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Corned beef is quite literally pickled beef.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It's a shame this wasn't an official Catholic Church thing, then we might've had a Server Synod.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's a shame this wasn't an official Catholic Church thing, then we might've had a Server Synod.

Somewhere, William Gibson awakes in a cold sweat

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:burger:

https://twitter.com/ready4preddy/status/1785081287255982180

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

zedprime posted:

Corn kernels are exceptionally large corns. Corn is named for being the primary cereal of America but I like to think European explorers were like "holy poo poo get a load of the size of that corn!"

A more normal corn is wheat or barley. The curing salt used for corned beef is probably more wheat corn sized. Corn sized salt corns would not mass transfer very well.

:doh: I believe you are correct. "corn" was really grain," specifically wheat. So yeah, basically rock salt

uber_stoat posted:

Cornish game hens, much like salt and grain, originated in the British region known as Cornwall and over time spread out throughout the world until they became the ubiquitous commodities we all know and love today.

MY OWN TINY ROAST CHICKEN! Yay!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Bad news, guys:

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1785452321901552071

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

lol just lmao

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My whole world has been turned upside down

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I want to believe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ultrafilter posted:

I want to beefthieve.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

This really calls into question everything I know about the Jamaican corned beef theft and the band Bilk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Oh no, my "Founding Bilk percussionist Richard Jarrett left the band in 2022 after being implicated in a $2 million corned beef theft in Spanish Town, Jamaica" shirt no longer answers the questions that were being raised by my shirt